What I want as a consumer.

• Thread starter Ace9137
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm confused. That's what 315s are made for (3x3) at 35w/sq ft. You're comparing that to HPS at 49w/sq ft?

I agree with you that having two (for more cross/lighting where their footprints meet) could improve things greatly. I think that helps *any* lighting, and can be accomplished with sidelighting around the perimeter of the tent (cheaply, with household LED lightbulbs with their globe removed. You need to power those through a GFCI outlet though because without the globe there are electrical surfaces exposed. It's not as simple as I might make it sound.).

Your 600w HPS might not benefit as much from that cross lighting because the intensity reflects better back from the walls of the tent? Or, perhaps it has a more even footprint than the CMH.

There are LED users (Amazon variety) who say the same thing. They run 80w/sq ft. (I'm waiting for someone to run 1gigawatt through a steel bar to illuminate a space.).

Doesn't light quality play a more important role? Fewer watts for the same ppfd?

I've never used HPS. I can't compare. But, googling produces many results saying CMH is more PAR efficient. Aside from topics of reflector performance, it should do better watt for watt. You said HPS runs the same temperature. But, that's with an aircooled hood, I take it? (You mentioned class front). CMH has glass-front, air-cooled hoods too. The heat of CMH doesn't seem that significant to me to incur the light-absorption of the glass.

No tent. Open room.

And yes im saying an open 315 reads about the same canopy temp as a closed and vented 600hps.

And although 1 315 doesnt really flower a 3x3 area alone in my experience i do think 2 could do a 3x6. In a 3x3 tent i think the 315 is adequate alone. But a 400w hps is too.

For comparison i feel the 315 equals about 450 maybe 500 watts of hps.

And no i think power and intensity are first for results. More minor gains come from spectrum.

I compared these to a hortilux blue too. Worst results in flower of the 3. But still a larger footprint. Be great for veg. Which is where i think the 315’s belong unless combined with hps. Just like metal halide.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yoooo. The original post was kinda fun.

Firstly as you said that HPS will eventually go extinct.... NO they won't.
Because no matter how much you pay for your LED,COD or anything else will never have the penetration power of HPS.
Don't get me wrong i am rocking all LED in my tents but it's the decision of the circumstances and not my wish.

You where going on about honesty in sales... How high are you? There has never been a salesman that will tell you the truth. You just need to live and lurn.

Longevity.... Well the LEDs will last long even if you buy cheap ones... Well the cheap ones will probably last longer because they are not pushed to their limits.... But anyway they will last longer then HPS but the HPS are cheaper to replace.... So anyway you look at it your fine.

And the last thing you wrote about was why you are smoking weed. Who cares? You like it... It's your thing... Do it.
Even if it's just the way your balls feel after you smoke lt's ok. Smoke on!!

I wish you all the best.

I resent the sales comment. I managed at car dealers and trained many salespeople. I believe in a consultative style of sales. And to never lie. If you dont know an answer to a customers question you always answer “i dont know” “but i will find out for you right away”.

az2000

az2000

I resent the sales comment. I managed at car dealers and trained many salespeople. I believe in a consultative style of sales. And to never lie. If you dont know an answer to a customers question you always answer “i dont know” “but i will find out for you right away”.

The exception doesn't prove the norm. Used-car sales (and timeshare presentations) are a meme for a reason.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter
Yoooo. The original post was kinda fun.

Firstly as you said that HPS will eventually go extinct.... NO they won't.
Because no matter how much you pay for your LED,COD or anything else will never have the penetration power of HPS.
Don't get me wrong i am rocking all LED in my tents but it's the decision of the circumstances and not my wish.

You where going on about honesty in sales... How high are you? There has never been a salesman that will tell you the truth. You just need to live and lurn.

Longevity.... Well the LEDs will last long even if you buy cheap ones... Well the cheap ones will probably last longer because they are not pushed to their limits.... But anyway they will last longer then HPS but the HPS are cheaper to replace.... So anyway you look at it your fine.

And the last thing you wrote about was why you are smoking weed. Who cares? You like it... It's your thing... Do it.
Even if it's just the way your balls feel after you smoke lt's ok. Smoke on!!

I wish you all the best.
Curious what type of led's you are using that dont penetrate well?

B

Burned Haze

@Burned Haze HID fight on isle 4.

Sorry guys as an LED user I just can't resist. But very good debate in learning here.

Regulation in the next 1-10 years I predict they will make LP to residential level growing will be forced into only led growing to a degree or good luck using your old bulbs or stuff without audit failing On LP level ( so many hps bulbs are going to fail the audit I predict , and if gravita does, gavita will correct that for wanting to being the dominate brand and Monsanto )and say your a fire hazard , shit what are you going to do? Grow underground for your hps? ( they are already forcing that in many states for ethier energy reason and safety , people act like hps are safe and yes some are. But there is a open range there. I believe if they allow hps it will be closed glass only, you never know with the government regulations lol)

the government hates the current growroom aspect/rules/map , they want to make it complicated and more money aspect ( they want a more lab level but not fire proof and I’m sure in next few years they will have some regulations on the way you have your lights up, maintenance of lights , everything for your room ) and is proving led’s And look how they even give out tax reduction like a solar panel for if you buy led’s Depending on what state you are if you are a LP. The whole indoors industry is moving even forward when if you don’t want to look wasteful to be eco and use less wasteful things like a traditional light ( replacement of everything , less heat and so forth )

hell if your growing a few acres or 100’s-1k of weed per season or week with a township support, wouldn’t you want them to support you as much by not applying pesticides , by being as clean as possible in your rooms, be as eco friendly as possible and hire locals of the town ? I think I would cause those guys if they don’t so,e other dude with just as much or way more will def offer a better offer to the city. Remember most of the time want a certain amount of companies . It’s all about the $$

Keeping this plants prices equal to diamond instead of coffee or a veggie, it’s the regulations and making it silly ( effects us all) I just want to enjoy and grow my medicine without the voodoo

Last edited by a moderator:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

CMH seems to work better on the canopy of a scrog like you said it penetrates a bit less..but again HALF THE WATTAGE of a 600 watt hps.

This guys grow diary and bible sounds like he had a different experience than you. And he doesn't get paid to sell lights either. They just sell grow bibles

Afor your 600 hps watt beating your 315 watt cmh well I would guess so dude..your 600 watt puts out double the power of the 315.......I would hope it outperformed. Point is. Only 30% more for yeilds for 300watts more? Why not run two 315 watts have the same btu. Better coverage than your 600 watt hps and get 70% more yeild ?

And there is no way your 315 watt puts out the 1 farenheight less than your 600 watt hps if you look at it scientifically/mathematically.
Your experience and variables could make an huge difference from your setup to someone else's
1 watt of power is 3.4 btu.
315 watt = 1071 btu
600 watt = 2040 btu
When u buy an AC for your tent you purchase on how many btu it needs to cool.
1000 watt btu is a big difference

Basically your saying you dont need to have extra fans or exhaust and ducting with a cmh like you do hps. Which sounds like a bonus as well. You can just run a 315 watt open (like their designed)

I have an 8x8 tent and had to put a 1x8 foot isle down the middle. And a 1x4 foor isle at the front to get into the tent. So a 315 watt with a 3 square foot flower foot print works for my situation

I didn't want to to turn this into a vs thread me and aqua man have been through that discussion many times . My statement was simply every single lighting technology has its place and each one has it's own pros and cons

We are in agreement. Use the right tool for the job after weighing pros and cons.

By the way the 315 alone grew shorter leafier plants that stayed healthy easier longer than hps and showed more color but the hps grew more big dense buds.

Reason i didnt replace my hps reflectors is they cleaned up real nice and i got new ballasts to replace the 5 year old ones for half price while everyone is spending more on newer tech.

And i only shared my results because of the statement that cmh 315 can equal a 600hps. It does not.

And i grew a pound with it with some familiar seeds. But got 22 ounces on that test with the 600.

I averaged it at 30% overall to account for strains and other variables. Still impressive for a 315 watt lamp.

I am not emotional about one type of light over another. I would run led if it was much cheaper.

az2000

az2000

what are you going to do? Grow underground for your hps?

May I speak to you about my lord and savior, household LED lightbulbs?

because of the statement 315 can equal a 600hp

I didn't see that claim. If I jumped into your post, implying I support that claim, that was unintentional.

I don't think CMH is *that* good. I've never grown with HPS. But, based upon the ppfd comparisons I've seen, I would expect it to be better in some discernible way (fewer watts/sq ft for the same results). If 9sq ft of 315w CMH would benfit from a few watts of sidelighting in flower (bringing it up to 40-45w/sq ft), that's still better than 67w/sq ft of HPS. (Hypothetically speaking, since I've never grown with HPS).

Top Bottom