What is happening to them? Things are looking grim.

• Thread starter Hobblebush
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

update: sorry for not logging on for a few days

The temps have been bad at night. In Vermont it’s snowed probably 3 inches in the last 2 day’s up north. These guys look pretty damn stunted and defeated. Is it worth saving them when I could start another strain I’d rather grow? These photos were earlier today when I gave them a decent amount of water at the roots. They really haven’t seemed to do much growth but their condition doesn’t seem to have declined much recently. Just consistently looking small and with minimal growth. when I’m awake tent temps hang around 70, but they could drop to 60 or less at night. I will check the runoff pH tomorrow,

View attachment 971731
View attachment 971732

View attachment 971733
the seedlings are starting to sag and the bottom leaves are getting brighter. Worried the cold tonight might hurt them bad. These are my main concern, as I don’t have much hope for the other ones. I fear they are going through the same issues. Could I be under watering?

mop
I don't know what mop means but you're still watering incorrectly, good luck

revfunk

revfunk

Supporter
I'd follow what others have said, as they're spot on. Are there any signs of mold/fungus in the soil? As long as you're not running organics with beneficial microbes, a dilution of 1 tsp/gal of hydrogen peroxide will clear that right up and also provide oxygen to the root system. Doing this WILL kill both the bad and good organics in the soil though. IMO a last resort.

Cheers!

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

I'd follow what others have said, as they're spot on. Are there any signs of mold/fungus in the soil? As long as you're not running organics with beneficial microbes, a dilution of 1 tsp/gal of hydrogen peroxide will clear that right up and also provide oxygen to the root system. Doing this WILL kill both the bad and good organics in the soil though. IMO a last resort.

Cheers!
No signs of mold. There were fungus gnats a while ago but they aren’t present anymore. Besides stopping watering and getting them warmer, is there other action I should take? I don’t think they need peroxide

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

Perhaps root rot from the initial overwatering, hence the extended recovery time. Either that or PH issues / lockout from soil nutrient content. Fluctuating temps wouldn't be helping, try and raise them up as best you can and a heating pad / mat may help. Most of all, be patient, the plants will bounce back as long as you don't keep doing what you have been.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

Perhaps root rot from the initial overwatering, hence the extended recovery time. Either that or PH issues / lockout from soil nutrient content. Fluctuating temps wouldn't be helping, try and raise them up as best you can and a heating pad / mat may help. Most of all, be patient, the plants will bounce back as long as you don't keep doing what you have been.

I think it might have been root rot. The roots didn’t look amazing when transplanting. Since then they just haven’t recovered. Between the cold Nights and the rot I think that’s what been hurting them. The seedlings are starting to sag slightly. That could be both from cold and overwatering. I guess I just can’t figure out how to water properly. I stick my finger into the soil as far and I can to feel if there is any moisture, and when it’s almost completely dry I give it some water. I’ll let them dry out as much as I can, or should I give them small amounts of water every few days once they dry? this is my first grow so I don’t have much experience.

UrbanGardener

UrbanGardener

I think it might have been root rot. The roots didn’t look amazing when transplanting. Since then they just haven’t recovered. Between the cold Nights and the rot I think that’s what been hurting them. The seedlings are starting to sag slightly. That could be both from cold and overwatering. I guess I just can’t figure out how to water properly. I stick my finger into the soil as far and I can to feel if there is any moisture, and when it’s almost completely dry I give it some water. I’ll let them dry out as much as I can, or should I give them small amounts of water every few days once they dry? this is my first grow so I don’t have much experience.

If it is root rot, it can be notoriously hard to manage. Read up on it and see what you think. This is your first grow so there's lots to learn and sometimes the learning will be the hard way. This will also help you understand your environment and practices for the future too, so it's beneficial. For now I would see how they are over the next few days, keeping attention to maintaining temps. For this period of time I'd let them dry and see if there is any change, if not perhaps a little water. The problem with root rot is that you either need to treat the roots directly or change the root environment, both which involves stress on the plant.

sambapati

sambapati

I cant seem to figure it out. Room temp 70-73˚, humidity is 50-55%, pH is 6.5 with 2-6ppm. Its just straight rainwater, i pulled off nutes since I was seeing nitrogen clawing. But the soil is fresh and should be plenty... I just repotted them to get a look at the root mass and also to get them out of those shitty plastic pots. They were in steady decline, leaves dropping and dying. The one with more leaves is doing way better, no strong leaf death but sagging so much. The one directly below is having a really tough time. I treat them to same as my other plants and haven't been overwatering the others. I took care of my gnat issue as well, haven't seen one in weeks. The weren't super robust and the plants really haven't seen much growth at all since i topped them. I thought it could be shock, I might start again with the nutes but I'm completely lost on what they need. I havent watered since the light spritz i gave the roots when transplanting 4 days ago, probably havent done a proper watering in 2 weeks. at one point they looked so depressingly sad i gave them a small small watering in hopes they would slightly perk up, but to try and avoid overwatering.

View attachment 969088
View attachment 969090
^This guy has already had two leaves removed because they were in such bad shape. definitely looking the worst, and those petioles are purple to the max.

View attachment 969089

View attachment 969091
This plant is thriving, about a month older than the little ones and under the same conditions. Different strain, ' Southern Mountain Cheese

View attachment 969095
These guys are about 2 weeks in and also doing great. The leaves coming in were weirdly wrinkled, but i think that its genetic since they had identical leaving abnormalities and are the same strain.
You have some really nice looking 2 week old plants there. Mine are like still teeny weeny at 10 days. Pearl Jam or Knicks fan eh?

sambapati

sambapati

I could be completely wrong here cuz overwatering and underwatering do look similar but from what you said and from what I see I'm not sure those plans are overwatered? I think there's a possibility they may be thirsty and that's causing the drooping, did you check the mixture down deeper than a few inches for wetness, maybe put a bamboo stick if you use them or a chopstick or something similar deep down in there and see if it comes up muddy or dry?
That is a really good suggestion -- chop stick or meat skewer to check the soil's moisture -- like seeing if a brownie is 'done'. Good one

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

I don't know what mop means but you're still watering incorrectly, good luck
Sorry for the typo, every says it watering wrong so that’s a consensus, I will check the runoff when I can water again. I stuck a skewer down to the bottom. The bottom of the pots is damps for sure @sambapati

the leaves on this one are looking perkier after my light watering yesterday. The other one below doesn’t seem to have changed much... it’s leaves are browning slightly and curling down pretty hard now.

here are some of the most affected leaves. I think it’s overwatering and cold. Possibly some root rot.

Getting worried about these ones. I watered yesterday and now I fear they will be over watered. They are sagging still. I will try to let them dry out as much as I can before watering again. @UrbanGardener. It’s the very beginning, but all the same symptoms of the other plants. I think overwatering and cold.

sambapati

sambapati

Sorry for the typo, every says it watering wrong so that’s a consensus, I will check the runoff when I can water again. I stuck a skewer down to the bottom. The bottom of the pots is damps for sure @sambapati
View attachment 971907
View attachment 971909
the leaves on this one are looking perkier after my light watering yesterday. The other one below doesn’t seem to have changed much... it’s leaves are browning slightly and curling down pretty hard now.
View attachment 971910

View attachment 971911
here are some of the most affected leaves. I think it’s overwatering and cold. Possibly some root rot.

View attachment 971913
Getting worried about these ones. I watered yesterday and now I fear they will be over watered. They are sagging still. I will try to let them dry out as much as I can before watering again. @UrbanGardener. It’s the very beginning, but all the same symptoms of the other plants. I think overwatering and cold.
Don't beat yourself up too bad. What percentage of perlite do you have n the mix? 60/40?

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

Don't beat yourself up too bad. What percentage of perlite do you have n the mix? 60/40?

I don’t the exact amount but I amended coast of Maine platinum with a bag of perlite. Don’t remember the size, I made about 30 gallons of soil.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Water the whole dam pot and keep em off the floor. Then let it dry out before watering again.

Again I would cut down those pots so the plants aren't sunk way down in then. The soil and plants need exposure to fresh air. That air pocket is a no no in my books.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

Water the whole dam pot and keep em off the floor. Then let it dry out before watering again.

Again I would cut down those pots so the plants aren't sunk way down in then. The soil and plants need exposure to fresh air. That air pocket is a no no in my books.
Ill try to fold down the lips so I can get more airflow

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ill try to fold down the lips so I can get more airflow
While ur at it do yourself a favor... Get the watering can fill it with water and water the entire media. Yes watering is more challenging in a big pot and that's why you should up pot as ya go. But it's to late for that. As @Beachwalker said roots don't grow in dry soil. Plus the water when in only a small area over time it will compact more and you will have a different soil consistency.

Always water first thing in the morning or as early in the lights on as possible. And don't water with cold or hot water.

Hobblebush

Hobblebush

folded down much better. Idk why I didn’t do this before. I’ll water the outside a bit of the little guys. I watered the entire media for the seedlings yesterday so they Definitely don’t need anything Today. So you think I should water the gray pots whole surface today? I watered the base a bit yesterday, I just don’t want to overwhelm them

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

View attachment 971919
folded down much better. Idk why I didn’t do this before. I’ll water the outside a bit of the little guys. I watered the entire media for the seedlings yesterday so they Definitely don’t need anything Today. So you think I should water the gray pots whole surface today? I watered the base a bit yesterday, I just don’t want to overwhelm them
Yes you have drainage (perlite) in there for a reason... Water the whole thing until all media is wet and you get a little run off.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yes you have drainage (perlite) in there for a reason... Water the whole thing until all media is wet and you get a little run off.
It needs to be warm enough to go through that water as well, you don't want to go 2 weeks without being able to water. In those big pots with that much water I'd want it up to 83-85f with lots of air moving around the pots and foliage, not wind storm but movement on the leaves

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

It needs to be warm enough to go through that water as well, you don't want to go 2 weeks without being able to water. In those big pots with that much water I'd want it up to 83-85f with lots of air moving around the pots and foliage, not wind storm but movement on the leaves
Yup... Up off the floor and temps in the mid 80s

Top Bottom