What is the best predetor for black flies, gnats & aphids?

• Thread starter forknowledge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
forknowledge

forknowledge

Im using Gnat off to kill the larve within the soil but cant tell if its working as I always find a bunch of airborne black flies wizzing around in my cab & the fly traps help a little but the most annoying issue with them is that they stick to my buds & I have no choice but to pick them off with tweezers which takes hours so now I wanna try out some bugs thatll eat up the little critters & soldier my plants without cause any harm to the buds or leaves. Which insects are best to tackle these buggers?
If you fellas can recommend any UK websites that sell the predators that'd be even better.

D

Donk Frog

An Exterminator...lmao
no use a neam drench if in soil or dust the top with D.E to kill lava before they hatch plus throw a couple no pest strips in there...preying mantis will eat lots of stuff

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

I like Azamax..you can use it as a soil drench as well as a foliar spray to kill a whole list of insects. You just mix at different ratios for soil drench as apposed to spray and it's all organic. I am curently using it for fungas knats along with yellow sticky traps. I'm just using a soil drench and have had my second application and i have no new emergance. I can see on or 2 adults fly around but they will die soon...lol but 2 of your 3 pests can be controlled by adding lady bugs to your grow. The third I would say parasitic wasp

forknowledge

forknowledge

Im thinking of getting some ladybugs in there to patrol the buds & keep them clean of stuck gnats.

jansjukebox I did a quick search of Azamax & it sounds promising however Im in the UK & cant seem to locate it not even on ebay.

ScuzyRoach

ScuzyRoach

If you can find Azatrol its basically the same thing as Azamax. I think they have the same active ingredient. Works like a charm for spider mites if srayed early. I am going to try it as a root drench after reading Jansjukebox's comment. Soil knats are always a problem in warmer months here. I have heard that organisms in compost teas and or some sub-b will eat larvae. There is also Knatrol if you can find it.

GET MO

GET MO

Supporter
nematodes- stiener-something and felatia-something (dont know exact names) they are nematodes you can usually get at a nursery, one time dose took care of my gnats for good.

jansjukebox

jansjukebox

I didn't consider that it might not be available in the UK. Maybe different regulations?

S

Skunkenstein

I live in the PNW and Fungus Gnats are in every bag and brand of soil you will ever buy..fact of life! I use Bonide brand ''Eight''-insect control to knock out the adults flying around the top soil..Main ingredient is Permethrin 0.02%.This will kill the adults Like Lightning!! Just mist the top layer of soil.I also crumble up 'Mosquito Dunks' and sprinkle on the soil.They also sell Liquid Bacillus Thuringiensis..main ingredient in the 'dunks'.This will kill the Larva in the soil.Have never had any issues with the Permethrin spray affecting the plants..only use when needed.Also use 'Gnat sticks' which are '1x3' yellow sticky paper with a small stick that can go right in the soil below the plant canopy.It's just never ending battle with those little Bastards..haha!!

B

bicycle racer

mosquito dunks are a bacterial product so i would assume organic. i just got some concentrated liquid bt for gnats otherwise i use a pyrethrum as a spray and soil drench

S

skoobie dew

Predatory nematodes will get rid of them for good. You just have to get live ones, most of the nurseries kill them before they sell them to you. BT/gnatrol/mosquito dunks work in soil. Just let your feed water sit for a day to gas off chlorine, use ro water if your local water is treated with chloramine.

J

jakehowdy

Try hanging Hot Shots No Bug strips. They last for four months and kill all flying and crawling critters. I haven't had mite problems since trying them.

S

STUPPA

Ladybirds are a good idea but they are better for getting rid of aphids and insects that actually live/feed on the plant itself, and there are a couple of problems with using flying predators aswell .

First off they will get toasted if they fly anywhere near your lights ! second you have no guarantee that they will stay in your grow room (unless it's sealed) and of course there is just as much chance that they will stick to your buds as with the fungus gnats.

neem oil is a good deterent but it really stinks ! and it's not a good idea to get that stuff on your buds yuk!.

I had the worst ever infestation of fungus gnats and moth flies (very similar to gnats but even more annoying!) i used everything: nematodes, gnat off , electric fly killer, sprays and potions they all worked well but the gnats would just come back even more prolific than before.

THen i used the predator mites and within two weeks the gnats were completely gone and did not come back.
i would buy another load of them every 6 months or so just to make sure the gnats did'nt get another foothold.

here's a couple of places that sell natural pest control in UK :

Predator mites:

personally i would rather go to the hydro shop place and get them from there. You can see how expensive they are but if you add up the cost of buying endless fly strips and sprays it will actually work out cheaper in the long run.

I would wait till this grow is done then buy the predator mites and apply them to all your mums and your next crop.
....although you could use them now, then when your plant are down simply transfer a bit of the growing medium to your next lot of plants, the mites will get tranfered to the new pots with the soil/coco or whatever.
they won't crawl onto your buds.

oh BTW sciarid flies ,black flies and fungus gnats are all the same thing just in case you did'nt know :winking0067:

forknowledge

forknowledge

Thanks STUPPA,
I was at aqua culture a few days ago whilst exchanging some clones I could have purchased the Nematodes then oh well. I purchased a bag of Diahydro which can be used as a top dressing & drainage in soil, basically it has sharp edges which shred the gnats as they pass through the nuls & cranys as they try to escape. Ill be using them with the next C99 transplant.

I grow in cab in my bedroom is there a chance the Predator mites could escape 7 end up sleeping in my bed lol? Could you tell me the form they come in are they in powder form packed in sachets & how many did you add per litre?

Thanks for the links Ive booked marked them just in case.

F

FrostyDank

Ladybugs. Plus cant hurt to bring extra luck to your medicinal garden

S

STUPPA

Yeah man i used to use diahydro and even did some grows with 100% diahydro on drip system ,it is way better than clay pebbles but their claims that it is insect proof is quite frankly bullshit.

I believed the hype till i saw a dirty great fungus maggot just crawl straight over the top of the pot ! and it did'nt even bother him .
The problem with dia is as soon as its wet it loses it's effectiveness ,so unless you can keep it totally dry it wont work that well. But good luck with it anyway.

The mites wont crawl on your bed LOL :) , i used to have a grow in my bedroom aswell and i never had any problems using them in there . They wont bite you anyway you are way too big for them eat !
anything thats in your pot like thrips, fungus gnats or other mites they will massacre .

They come in a vermiculite mix which they basically cling to till they get a better home like your pots. You should only need about 1-2 teaspoons of the mix per pot .

It might seem a waste throwing the rest away but you could always pass it around your mates or do what i did and sprinkle it on the garden ,then you can have a fungus gnat exclusion zone around your house!:happy

this place is good aswell :

i have used them before, they are alot cheaper than the hydro shops but you have to get the stuff sent in the post.

more info about gnats

Top Bottom