What is the difference between MEDICAL MJ and REGULAR MJ?

• Thread starter Jimster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I have seen some seed companies as well as some growers that claim that they are Medical Marijuana growers and seed providers. What is the difference between "Medical" and "regular" Marijuana? When does a regular strain that I've been growing for years become a medical plant, while others aren't?
Is this just a self proclaimed title or is there a standard that would need to be met to qualify? The term is used interchangeably and I wanted to make sure that I wasn't making a mistake in my descriptions.

andrear121

andrear121

Recreational marijuana typically contains higher levels of THC content compared to the medical variant and is often used for the “high” effect as opposed to its benefits. While there's no definite difference between the flowers and concentrates of both types, the potency of medical cannabis is usually high.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
No difference in my honest opinion. It’s a sales ploy to hook customers.
If it’s persay medical, then the psychoactive properties would be bred out and the beneficial components bred in. Most breeding doesn’t do this, most breeders go for the punch, the honey pot, the THC.
Which sucks, because there is Benficial components that can get you really high as well. THCV, now I do see a scramble within the industry to research and development. But it’s 10yrs out before we see anything marketable.
So to answer your question, no there is no difference, marijuana is medicine and recreational. In moderation it’s medicine in access it’s a hell of a good time .

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
No difference in my honest opinion. It’s a sales ploy to hook customers.
If it’s persay medical, then the psychoactive properties would be bred out and the beneficial components bred in. Most breeding doesn’t do this, most breeders go for the punch, the honey pot, the THC.
Which sucks, because there is Benficial components that can get you really high as well. THCV, now I do see a scramble within the industry to research and development. But it’s 10yrs out before we see anything marketable.
So to answer your question, no there is no difference, marijuana is medicine and recreational. In moderation it’s medicine in access it’s a hell of a good time .

+1

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would agree marketing. I have a prescription for medical cannabis in Canada. My doctor wrote a referral to a cannabis clinic and I was contacted for my appointment. After getting there I learned you don't even need a referral, you can just walk right in and make an appointment to see a nurse practitioner who had a tiny room out if the whole place. It all seemed very loose and although my doctor sent my information over none of it was really discussed with me and I was written a prescription for some CBD oil and some dried flower. It's was calculated by grams per day for a period of 3 months. I was then sent 20 feet away to a table where another lady came, she was from like a sales woman taking my prescription and giving me basically 1 option of companies to deal with she did mention 2 but said this is the one I want to go with she discusses briefly my condition and then started showing me those products and wrote down on a paper not document... Fucking paper her recommendations from this companies supply. She then said she would forward my prescription to the company and they will verify and approve my account. Got home and boom it was done, approved withing hours. Prices are a couple bucks cheaper/gram but the selection is shit. It doesn't matter what your prescription should be for, you can order anything you like as long as it meets your grams per day use and up to 1 month of it.

It's all a fucking sham and money grab. The difference between medical and recreational is they found a way to lock in you in to one company so they can petal your business to companies. These places are typically run by the companies themselves.

TLDR: medical cannabis is nothing but a business.

Oh but it is regulated... Here is my experience I won't name names but I got a letter this month saying that they value my business and safety so they are pulling all products voluntarily and working with health Canada. Here it is with the name removed copy and pasted. So many labs have been in violation and one even lost its organic license due to unsafe levels of pesticides.

We deeply value the trust you place in us to provide you with your medical cannabis products. We are currently working on a facility review with Health Canada and as a precaution, we have implemented a voluntary hold on the sale of our medical products as of July 10th, 2019.
Your safety is our first priority and we would like to assure you that all previously sold and current inventory products have passed quality control testing at Health Canada approved labs as well as (name removed) own quality control processes and safety reviews.
We thank you for your patience and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. We are working diligently to correct the matter and will keep you informed.
If you have questions or concerns, please reach out to CustomerService@(name removed)

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Dispensary weed is terrible here in Ma., I tried 2 dispensaries and three home deliveries in 15 before I started growing again back in the beginning of 16, they get $50 an eighth for weed that's marginal at best here

One day they kept me outside waiting and when I finally got in I asked one of the budtenders what the holdup was? she told me quietly they had a work stoppage and they would not go back to work until they pulled some moldy weed that management was insisting they sell.

she said something like: "I mean this was just too moldy to sell" which to me implies that they have no problem in selling marginally moldy weed; that was my last visit to a dispensary.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Dispensary weed is terrible here in Ma., I tried 2 dispensaries and three home deliveries in 15 before I started growing again back in the beginning of 16, they get $50 an eighth for weed that's marginal at best

One day they kept me outside waiting and when I finally got in I asked one of the budtenders what the holdup wasn't she told me they had a meeting and they would not go back to work until they pulled some moldy weed that management was insisting they sell.

she said something like: "I mean this was just too moldy to sell" which to me implies that they sell marginally moldy weed; that was my last visit to a dispensary.
In Canada it's by the gram no matter how much you buy and no discount for higher quantity. I'm sure it's no different here, at first I placed my trust now that's all gone and I'm sure it's just as moldy at times here. Not sure if it's the same there

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Recreational marijuana typically contains higher levels of THC content compared to the medical variant and is often used for the “high” effect as opposed to its benefits. While there's no definite difference between the flowers and concentrates of both types, the potency of medical cannabis is usually high.
The only difference in America is the tax rate. Plain and simple.
I have a medical garden and a rec garden in my basement and I cannot tell the difference lol.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Its because they allowed “medical” weed first. Once rec is allowed they dont care about medical. Just collecting more taxes.

I grow weed. My user name is because of the law at the time. And high thc has more medical properties than high cbd for most people in my experience.

Ina

Ina

Well in Bulgaria we go to jail for one cigarette(they prefer to take our money the first time and leave us with suspended sentence written),we have to pay the suit and the lawyers and everything including enormous amercement,medical or not,condition or not:(So it is the same hahha In the same time CBD oils are getting more and more popular and you can purchase them easily.But if you want to make your own-.I. :/
Yes THC could have more health benefits,depends on the condition and needs so both can be considered as medical.We also try to legalise it thru "medical"purposes,sounds some how more serious to people that doesn't use:)Like patient or medical user instead of stoner and pothead hahahaha

Migrower

Migrower

Really?!! Can you please go into detail a little more about this. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of this.

You are somehow able to be legal federally and tax free by claiming you use it religiously? I would think many people would be taking advantage of this and I’m surprised I haven’t learned of this yet. I’d like to know more if you would be kind enough to explain.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
The only difference in America is the tax rate. Plain and simple.
I have a medical garden and a rec garden in my basement and I cannot tell the difference lol.

+1. Taxes. It's also diff depending on where you are asking this question

Also testing is sometimes different. Med most of the time is tied to plant count and patients where rec usually isnt except for tier counts of plants or sq ftage. Wholesale requirements are also sometimes different. That gets more specific where you are though.

Here the only difference is the amount of THC can be higher in edibles on the med stuff vs the rec stuff. I think rec here is only allowed 200mg per item and med can go 500+. Also the amount of stuff you can buy out of a shop is higher on the med side (based on plant count of your card) vs rec is a flat rate for everyone.

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

i think its more defined as a crazy old bastard mental issues like me and called give that mental freak show a medicine and see if it tones him down,when it works medical herb hahahahh,just another pharm show i think ,hey what better way is there to sell a 250 buck bag of weed to a soul that will be lost soon,shit they just gonna give it all to the kids to fight over right,i can see it now all seniors and gizzers come on down and be happy bring your wallet,we even have a door greeter to welcome you in hahah,all a side folks you get to deal with what we cig smokers have for the last 30 years,before you know it the city will be voting on no smoking in public events and all the good stuff,just last year were i live a city ordinace was passed were there isnt any cig smoking in public places even on the grounds of bussiness,im cool with that just tell me were the air is so clean that me smoking a cig would harm it hahahahhah,MONEY FOLKS THAT WHAT IT IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE,ANYTHING THAT ENJOYED

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Pennsylvania has a MMJ program, but it is a money grab, like everywhere. The application process carries a hefty "Deposit" of a few hundred thousand, and only "approved" companies can sell. The product comes packaged so that the contents are not visible, nor are you permitted to see it prior to purchase. From my understanding, some of the $20-30/gram buds are bone dry, full of stems, and includes a few seeds on occasion. The Dr I went to required a few hundred dollars cash, and asked me about my issues, which includes kidney failure, neuropathic pain, autoimmune issues, etc. He told me that I didn't have the right kind of pain, but I should keep coming back and develop a relationship and things might change in the future. I wasn't looking for a date or a relatio9nship... I'm married and my wife is all of the relationship that I need. No personal growing is allowed, medical cards need renewed annually, and I thin there is a month wait between your current card expiring and a new one to be issued (for a nominal fee of $50). In summary, you pay a few hundred to get your MMJ card, pay $50/year for renewals, and the flowers are up to $500 or more per Oz, although I don't think you can buy more than a eighth or a quarter at a time. The crazy thing is that I don't think the program is taxed, other than regular sales tax and the initial growers and dispensary fees. Since it isn't for the general public, only medical use, they seem exempt from most of the oversight issues and exist on a unique level. Pennsylvania could make a shitload of tax revenue, but seem unwilling or unable to squeeze more money out of it. I don't know where all of the massive amounts of cash are going, but they aren't filling the tax coffers. Somebody is getting filthy rich from the state run monopoly. Follow the money and it usually ends up in a politician's account somehow/some way.
Rant Mode: OFF

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Really?!! Can you please go into detail a little more about this. I don’t think I’ve ever heard of this.
There is a link to my friends church. State and federally approved. Sacramental herb churches will be popping up in Michigan very soon with the legalization of rec.
The local sheriffs department has tried to shut them down and are now being sued I. Federal court for harassment.

Top Bottom