What Kind Of Dog Food Do You Use?

• Thread starter Growin Grass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
thank you for that.. ill actually look into it for the sake of this thread and my dogs health..
they didn't speak on the stereo isomers on the wiki so I'm glad you brought that to light.. solid gold boasting holistic i would expect nothing less than plant based but.. companies disappoint me more than they live up to their reputations
It's all about profit over health in most cases. that is why we take matters in our own hands...

Shamus

Shamus

heres some quick stuff i found, I'm actually going to email them tho.. but they speak on another preservative question here so i feel like they're aware people expect more out of them.. ill know soon enough

Is the fishmeal used in your products preserved with Ethoxyquin?

Our fishmeal ingredient is preserved with Naturox, a natural antioxidant, at the time the fish is processed to prevent rancidity on the trip to the manufacturing facility.

What is Ocean Fish Meal?
The ocean fish meal used in Solid Gold foods is Menhaden Herring, sourced from the Atlantic Ocean.

Where are Solid Gold’s products made?
All Solid Gold dry dog and cat foods, treats and supplements are made in the USA. Our tuna based canned cat foods are made in Thailand in facilities that manufacture human consumption tuna and meet our high quality and safety standards.

Do you use any ingredients from China?
No – Solid Gold does not utilize any ingredients from China.

Are Solid Gold ingredients “human grade”?
While “human grade” is not a legal term that can be used in conjunction with animal feed manufacturing, we utilize only high quality ingredients that pass strict quality control measures.

What is Meat Meal and why do you use it?
Meat meals, such as lamb meal and chicken meal are meats that have been cooked to reduce the water and fat content, making them a supersized protein source. Fresh meats contain approximately 70% water, which is eliminated during the cooking process.

Example: Whole chicken contains about 70% water and 18% protein. After cooking, the resulting chicken meal contains just 10% water and 65% protein - nearly four times more protein than whole chicken.

We only use specifically identified, high quality meat meal from certified sources.

Funk Monk

Funk Monk

Orijen Large Puppy: Did the Blue Buffalo for a few months and noticed my Akita started to have a foul smell to him. Strong BO that smelled like spoiled chicken n fish. Since starting the new food his coat has been on point. Real expensive but a 2500 dog deserves the finest. Funny it's a Canadian company but their regulations are way stricter then the USA. They also use prime meats instead of trimmings and dead carcasses. I'm in no way a professional in this subject and am glad we are looking into what we feed our pets, now lets get what are our kids are ingesting under wraps, lol. Funk on
BIOLOGICALLY APPROPRIATE PUPPY FOOD
FEATURING FREE-RUN CHICKEN & TURKEY, WILD CAUGHT FISH AND NEST-LAID EGGS

print_icon.png

LARGE BREED PUPPIES POSSESS A BIOLOGICAL NEED FOR A RICH DIET OF FRESH WHOLE MEATS, WITH CALORIES AND MINERALS APPROPRIATE TO THEIR SENSITIVE DEVELOPMENT AND GROWTH.

Loaded with cage-free chicken and turkey, nest-laid eggs and wild-caught fish — all farmed or fished within our region and delivered FRESH — ORIJEN PUPPY LARGE BREED is brimming with goodness to nourish your puppy completely, with both calories and minerals distributed to support the optimum growth and development of large breed puppies.

Bursting with the nourishing meats (80%) that Mother Nature evolved your puppy to eat, ORIJEN’s award-winning low-glycemic formula reduces unwanted carbohydrates to support healthy blood sugar levels and lean muscle mass for peak conditioning — all important for large breed puppies.

Prepared from Canada’s best and freshest ingredients in our very own kitchens, ORIJEN is guaranteed to keep your big puppy happy, healthy and strong.

READ OUR INGREDIENTS AND YOU’LL BE HAPPY TOO!

AUTHENTIC REGIONAL INGREDIENTS
DELIVERED FRESH DAILY

chicken-icon.png

CAGE-FREE CHICKEN
ALBERTA, PRAIRIES
turkey-icon.png

CAGE-FREE TURKEY
ALBERTA, PRAIRIES
salmon-icon.png

PACIFIC SALMON
VANCOUVER ISLAND, BC
walleye-icon.png

NORTHERN WALLEYE
NORTHERN CANADA
herring-icon.png

WILD HERRING
VANCOUVER ISLAND, BC
egg-icon.png

NEST-LAID EGGS
CAMROSE, ALBERTA
fruits-and-veg-icon.png

FRUITS & VEGETABLES
BRITISH COLUMBIA

FRESH AND REGIONAL INGREDIENTS

symbiote420

symbiote420

Ain't that the truth homie! I'm guilty at times myself of treating my dog (and plants) better than I do me and the family...... that's assbackwardness at it's finest. I used to be so careful about every thing I put into my body when I worked out, I stayed outside of city limits and the markets had far more and better choices than in the city where I live now.... the fresh foods sections are no bigger than a jail cell and most of that is no good. I've been traveling to the burbs alot more to shop lately and I shouldn't have to.

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
My dog gets some dry food and venison with rice. Sometimes a little pumpkin and yogurt. He's about to get some led in him if he doesnt quit eating shit and puking in my house. Little fucker eats whatever and makes himself sick. :banghead: Uuhg!

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
WhoopDeeDoo

WhoopDeeDoo

Thanks for posting that link Punisher24.

Looks like a few of us are on the right track and are feeding our animal friends 5 star rated meals.

But then you've got people like Chickenman who is able to really feed their dogs well. Unfortunately, most of us don't have the property or resources to feed our pets like that so we opt out for the bagged stuff…but I rather be feeding them expensive and wholesome bagged food from a dedicated holistic animal food supplier then to buy ANYTHING from Petsmart/Petco etc etc….

As you can see from the link that Punisher posted, mostly every single brand name that was listed in the 1 & 2 star category is everything they sale in MOST pet food stores!

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
At least you guys care about enough to research and come up with what works best for you.

Growin Grass

Growin Grass

Well after some research I decided to let them decide on either Wellness or Taste of the Wild
Doggies picked Taste of the Wild
Thanks for all of your input

@Storm Raven Glad this opened your eyes to how BS big brand dog food is.

@chickenman Is there three of you??? I swear you get way too much done to be one person

Cheers

d0rk2dafullest

d0rk2dafullest

I usually feed Taste of the Wild, or Innova red meat when i can. Also add a bit of olive oil and a couple raw eggs with the shell. and extra fat from the butcher, and bits of chicken breast from costco or food 4 less. but other than that. i like taste of the wild, cheap enough (cheaper than red meat innova) also when feeding taste of the wild or red meat (innova) you dont have to feed as much as the other foods like say...pedigree. my boy seems to like it and his coat has never looked better. also different flavors and choice so i guess he wont get bored. but he seems to eat it up real fast all the time regardless teh flavor.

I've also tried a costco brand. i forgot what it was called but it was a blue one with a wolf on it. my dog seemed to like that one as well. but since i dont frequent costco a lot, i've stuck to taste of the wild.

Edit: Natures domain. Grain free.

Edit: Now that i'm reading up more on it. Dont buy the kirkland one. LOL. my boy did fine. but i'm reading other dogs arent. and also dont buy their generic front line. EVER. that shit does NOT work.

Top Bottom