What Kind Of Dog Food Do You Use?

• Thread starter Growin Grass
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
10# Bag of Iams Grain Free Formula just ran me 18$+ Tax...

Rachel Rays Grain Free was 4$ more for 2lbs more.. Figured if give him something different..

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
chickenman Is there three of you??? I swear you get way too much done to be one person

Wife helps a lot, but today I have picked up ton of corn, ground up and mixed 150 lbs. feed, fed chickens, fed goats watered plants and livestock, milked 6 goats, boxed up 120 dozen eggs for delivery, will deliver to 2 outlets, do have help from our farm kid, will grill up a feast and evening chores collect 35 dozen eggggs fed and put chicken to bed....All while totally way way baked beyond recognition.....

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Shrugs im more concerned about what goes into my dog then whos making the shit to be honest..

My dogs allergies make it pretty hard to find a brand as is, and hes a picky eater so its near impossible, I have to put brands aside and focus on ingredients.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
What about Iams?
Processed, preserved, GMOs by product ingredients.....
Look into that Sojo's go to Costco buy ground beef in bulk feed raw better than convential... You will be amazed..
For dogs with allergies and picky eaters especially....

Last edited:
B

bckwht

a couple of years ago I took chickenmans advice and started feeding my dog sojos with beef/turkey, veggies etc and the results are night and day..my bulldog was 75lbs and could barely take a walk up my hill if it lasted more than 10min..hes down to 55-60lb, lean and full of energy..its just unreal how much he acts like a puppy again... seeing all this love given to our best buds puts a big smile on my face

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
We have two cats and are wanting to switch them to a better cat food. I'm assuming these brands make kitty food too? I just love my cats damnit why not treat the fuckers
check out the Sojos cat food, am going to order some next round...

Shamus

Shamus

Sojo's original, mix with beef, also can add frozen peas, carrots, eggs, other veggies. a variation of diet is great.
i looked into sojos and the end wet weight varies from the video to the site itself..
the weight given after hydration in video = 40 lab's
the weight given after hydration on the site = 20 if i remember correctly

i think i could buy 20 Lb's of vegetables and meat for cheaper than 96$

(I'm talking about sojo's complete)

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Dogs are carnivores, they don't need veggies.
Dunno about that.
Check in when your dog lives 17 good years like our last German Shorthair pointer who got veggies, meat and Sojo's for most of her life...
You pup looks beautiful but IMO a little over weight, puppy fat maybe? maybe not, but sadly that breed is known for heart issues. Best of luck with him, is a beauty....

Last edited:
F

FooDoo

Dunno about that.
Check in when your dog lives 17 good years like our last German Shorthair pointer who got veggies, meat and Sojo's for most of her life...
You pup looks beautiful but IMO a little over weight, maybe not, but sadly that breed is known for heart issues. Best of luck with him, is a beauty....

15 years of studies, eh?

Here's some science for ya

"Dogs Have a Natural
and Undeniable Carnivorous Bias

From DNA studies, we know dogs evolved directly from the timber wolf somewhere around 15,000 years ago.

And, of course, it should come as no surprise. Wolves are clearly carnivores.

So, by their very genetic pedigree, dogs also demonstrate similar and noticeable carnivorous traits. Their teeth, their digestive systems and their behavior clearly confirm this fact."

"No Salivary Amylase

Herbivores and omnivores possess one aid to digestion carnivores typically lack.

Carnivores do not produce amylase in their salivary glands.

Amylase is a specialized enzyme most herbivores and omnivores produce in their saliva. It helps begin the break down of starchy carbohydrates into simple sugars — before they enter the stomach.

Although dogs do produce amylase, the enzyme is added further down the digestive tract — in the pancreas and small intestine."

Footnotes

1. Lindblad-Toh K, Wade CM, Mikkelsen TS, et al, “Genome sequence, comparative analysis and haplotype structure of the domestic dog”, December 2005, Nature 438 (7069): 803–19
  2. Axelsson E. et al, The genomic signature of dog domestication reveals adaptation to a starch-rich diet, Nature, 2013 Jan 23, doi: 10.1038/nature11837, Science for Life Laboratory, Department of Medical Biochemistry and Microbiology, Uppsala University, 75237 Uppsala, Sweden
  3. Animal Health Diagnostic Center, Cornell University School of Veterinary Medicine

"So, using a natural ancestral diet as a benchmark, doesn’t it make sense for a dog’s diet to be more balanced? A dietary design that includes…

• More protein
  • More fat
  • Fewer carbohydrates"

Footnotes

1. Lindblad-Toh K, Wade CM, Mikkelsen TS, et al, “Genome sequence, comparative analysis and haplotype structure of the domestic dog”, December 2005, Nature 438 (7069): 803–19
  2. Brown S., Taylor B., “See Spot Live Longer”, 2007 Creekobear Press, Eugene, OR USA, pp 51-61
  3. National Research Council, National Academy of Science, “Nutrient Requirements of Dogs and Cats”, 2006 Edition, National Academies Press, Washington, DC, p 317

Last edited:
F

FooDoo

All scientific evidence done on the matter completely contradicts your opinions. But hey, what does a guy with a PhD in a laboratory know.... Right?

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
not talking about a whole lot of veggies in diet here. 10 % or so....
Real life practice hands on is all the evidence I need. no lab coat needed. however I do have 2 PHD's by the way and use them often

Last edited:
F

FooDoo

So your "hands on observation" is more credible than DNA and anatomy? How many books have you written on the matter?

Last edited:
Top Bottom