What line up for coco?

• Thread starter LexLuthor
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bigcheese510

bigcheese510

if you dont want to get a pen gh makes a PH sample kit that works great. no other calibration solutions needed.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
I ran coco in coco ,with great success. Currently thoug i am trying the Bio1 component from house& garden in an amended soil and lovin it.
I kow you mentioned cal mag a few pages back, i found no need for it with h&G.

I believe the CoCo formula adds CalMag, which is why you didn't need it. I've been interested in the bio-1 as well.

outwest

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I've been rocking Heavy 16 in coco and my results have been off the chain. Not only is the quality there....but I have hit higher numbers since I have started using it as well. I usually add a little cal-mag during veg and then cut it in flower. There is a LOT of calcium available in the Heavy 16 lineup. It's pricey....but in my opinion it is so freaking worth it.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Good shit ya'll, yo Celtic, what kind of yields are you getting per light with H16??

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

Get the cheap $30 ppm pen, works just fine. Get the cheap $8 GH pH kit, drops never lie. Shoot for 5.8 pH. Are you going to use tap water or ro water? Never tried the AF but I have run the Cocos & it's great. I supplemented w/ CalMag using ro water. Their feeding schedule is overdoing it. run 4-6 ml A/B in veg and 7-8 in flower. All the additives are great but I would skip the last 2 - Top Booster and Shooting Powder as they will easily burn your beautiful plants if not extremely judicious w/ use. CalMag prob not necessary w/ tap but the bottom line is you have to read your plants. I would skip it any just watch your leaves. If you need Mg, epsom salts are super-cheap.

I would probably go w/ the Cocos over the AF since AF is made for recirculating systems, which usually means hydroton or rockwool, and Cocos is made for DTW. Coco also has unique cation-exchange properties that I'd bet is also taken into account. That said, I know a lot of people have had great results w/ the AF.

BUT ... if I were paying for the nutes ... Botanicare PBP would be the first choice for me.

The key to growing in coco amigo, the biggest gotcha - control the salt buildup in your media & keep your pH around 5.8 give or take.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Get the cheap $30 ppm pen, works just fine. Get the cheap $8 GH pH kit, drops never lie. Shoot for 5.8 pH. Are you going to use tap water or ro water? Never tried the AF but I have run the Cocos & it's great. I supplemented w/ CalMag using ro water. Their feeding schedule is overdoing it. run 4-6 ml A/B in veg and 7-8 in flower. All the additives are great but I would skip the last 2 - Top Booster and Shooting Powder as they will easily burn your beautiful plants if not extremely judicious w/ use. CalMag prob not necessary w/ tap but the bottom line is you have to read your plants. I would skip it any just watch your leaves. If you need Mg, epsom salts are super-cheap.

I would probably go w/ the Cocos over the AF since AF is made for recirculating systems, which usually means hydroton or rockwool, and Cocos is made for DTW. Coco also has unique cation-exchange properties that I'd bet is also taken into account. That said, I know a lot of people have had great results w/ the AF.

BUT ... if I were paying for the nutes ... Botanicare PBP would be the first choice for me.

The key to growing in coco amigo, the biggest gotcha - control the salt buildup in your media & keep your pH around 5.8 give or take.

I'm definately buying a ph pen and EC/PPM meter before I even attempt coco. So depending on my tap water's ppm and ph I might use tap or distilled water. I'm going with the H&G Coco A+B and I'll probably get Botanicare PBP so I can run a side by side.

Thanx for the tips everyone!!

true grit

true grit

Spend the money and get the Bluelab ph pen. Cheap overall and great. Don't worry about ppms off the bat. I never have and doubt I ever will. Dial the environment and the plants can do the most with the least.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I'm not running coco till August, so thats plenty of time for me to save money and get the bluelab EC meter and Ph pen, there about 80-90 dollars for each one.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
Yall do know that all the H&G nutes have over 10% Ca and AF is around 13%. The last thing you need in those nutes is Calmg. BTW they are made for RO. The Coco A+B is made for DTW. Aqua Flakes still has more Ca in it though.

S

StonerB

Im glad I started reading before posting. I completely agree with Darth as far as coco being a very special media as far as builup and its CEC are concerned. I was about to reccomend the bluelab over hanna then Grit did it for me, this post is easy. Dont forget to add your bennies to counteract the synthetics (Pure blend would have done this for you)

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Alright, good shit, thanx everyone!! I have a question thats way off topic and instead of starting a new thread I'll just post it here. How do you rehydrate buds?? I just got back home today from a 5 day vacation and my buds are crispy as hell. Maybe I left them in brown paper bags too long or something, I'm not sure. If anyone has any tips or tricks let me know, thanx.

K

kevinanderson

Coco coir just isn't like other media. It has a lot of unique physical and chemical properties that might actually make typical hydroponic nutrients less than ideal. Most hydroponic products assume that you will use something like rockwool, perlite, clay pebbles, air, or water as a medium, and design their nutrient balance around these kinds of media deliver nutrients. But because coconut fiber is unique, it might actually retain certain nutrients while releasing others at a faster rate. This means that your plants might suffer from a nutrient deficiency even if the nutrients appear to be perfectly balanced in your reservoir. Rinse with Freshwater Before Use - One of primary concerns of using coconut coir as a hydroponic medium is salt content. Coconut husks have a naturally high amount of salt, and that might negatively affect your conductivity and cause salt buildup. Most of the higher quality coconut coir is thoroughly rinsed before it is sold, but much of the cheaper coconut fiber you find usually contains high levels of salt. If you can, opt for the higher quality, pre rinsed medium. But either way, you should rinse it with fresh, pH balanced water before placing it in your growing trays or buckets.

If the nutrients you're using are not designed to be coco coir safe, you'll not only be missing out on the gigantic yields you could be getting using coco coir... you run the risk poisoning or starving your plants. Only the highest quality, chelated forms of magnesium and calcium are able to succeed in a growing environment that uses coco coir.

K

kevinanderson

Alright, good shit, thanx everyone!! I have a question thats way off topic and instead of starting a new thread I'll just post it here. How do you rehydrate buds?? I just got back home today from a 5 day vacation and my buds are crispy as hell. Maybe I left them in brown paper bags too long or something, I'm not sure. If anyone has any tips or tricks let me know, thanx.

Several things you can do.

Orange peel, piece of lettuce, piece of bread. Put in the bag with the product and it will equalize the moisture content of the product and the item you put in. I use the 69% bags for a sealed jar, they last about 3 months and the beauty is they add or subtract moisture as needed.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Several things you can do.

Orange peel, piece of lettuce, piece of bread. Put in the bag with the product and it will equalize the moisture content of the product and the item you put in. I use the 69% bags for a sealed jar, they last about 3 months and the beauty is they add or subtract moisture as needed.

Thanks, but I started a new thread on this subject and I used a paper towel to rehydrate my buds and it worked great.

Top Bottom