What strains do you grow outdoors in oregon?

• Thread starter PDX420Grower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Hey Oregonians. I'm gonna grow outdoors for the 1st time next year and I'm curious as to which strains do better in the eastern oregon climate. What do you grow outdoor? Pics of previous grows would be sweet. I'm looking for big yeilders but quality also (of course). I already have a few strains waiting but I'm looking to add to the outdoor collection. So again, what do you grow outdoors in oregon? ( eastern oregon is most helpful but not limited to) Thanks -PDX

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

Anybody see Highdesertgrower's skywalker grow on youtube? TREES!!! :harvest: Thats inspiration! I'm thinking of going with Big Bud x Northern Lights. I've heard it does REAL WELL outdoors in Oregon. Any Suggestions?

K

kripplecreek

Super lemon haze trees would be gorgeou! and in this wintry cold place some tropical smells would be welcome all around to get us thinking WARM! haha! seriously its friggin may and its cold as hell here still :P Going to be going camping in 2 ft of snow in JUNE..xD

Grow some northern lights in oregon maybe lol because of all the snows? hehehe

Im indoor but have a greenhouse going soon to be filled and am wondering the same thing you are so im going to subscribe and wait and see the result! =D

btw pleased to meet you! :cake:bongsmi:

CheechWizard

CheechWizard

I think you could do really well with a good shiskaberry or williams wonder cut. and I've seen some amazing results with a purple widow. All were pretty quick, which is good for Oregon's short growing season. Good luck with your crop and keep us posted with pictures:)

C

crossouttheiis

Yeah get a fast flowering plants and some greenhouses

Here is my void from last year

http://i298.invalid.com/albums/mm275/cruzma1/2010-10-05_11-05-36_692.jpg

http://i298.invalid.com/albums/mm275/cruzma1/2010-09-27_15-44-49_134.jpg

Good luck man

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

^^^ Thats a nice plant bro! Nice and frosty:) Did you start it indoor 1st? (if so, how long?) I plan on vegging mine a month or so indoor before I put em outside. They're gonna get HUGE! Kripplecreek, I was thinking of NLs cuz I've heard they do good in the NW. Guess we'll find out. Nice to meet you too. Cheech, thats cool that you mentioned Purple Widow cuz I actually have a few PW seeds I got from a buddy and I already planned on using them too. Also going to pop a few NLxBB, a few TW, and a few Jackberrys I got from the farm. (Thanks Logic! Thanks Sannie!) Too bad this wont be til next year. Cant wait. Any and all suggestions or pics appreciated. Thanks -PDX

G

Growing247

If you're growing anywhere near the coast or the mountains you need something that will finish early as possible. Also, something that won't freak out if it get's cold a few nights. When I think growing "outdoor" in Oregon I think greenhouse or hoop houses. If you time it right and have your plants prevegged indoor the strain should not matter too bad. Bubba Kush. Bubba 76. Black Afghan. Texada Timewarp. AMS. OG. Headband. LA Con. Mendo Purple...the usual suspects basically!

Oh BTW if you're looking for a very heavy yielding Landrace Kush that would be a great strain to bulk up other strains for breeding projects try WORLD OF SEEDS Afghan Kush. I got 6 ounces dried off 1 plant and 5 ounces dried off another. Not bad for indoor. Think what that sucker would do outdoors in the high desert.

PDX420Grower

PDX420Grower

I'm definitely going to be using a greenhouse, or at least a few hoop houses. Lately I've been trying to decide weather I should just put em in the biggest garbage cans I can buy, then place those in the ground or just transplant em directly into the ground. Honestly I'll probably put em in the cans bc I don't know how nice the ground soil will be where I'll be growing at. -PDX

G

Growing247

I grow every strain I would grow indoors. I use a greenhouse and put 30 watt lights every 10f feet to prevent flowering until the time is right and then when the summer rolls in I turn off the lights and chop my crop around October. I use very little pest control. Lizards keep bugs under control. Snakes and spiders as well. Also, I use 2 box fans suspended in the middle of the greenhouse to keep the air moving and to make the limbs of the plants strong without blowing them away. On the good side if it get's too humid I can move the plants indoors and use dehumidifiers to stop the powdery mildew if it becomes a problem when it get's too cold. Either that or heat the greenhouse with space heaters. Growing OG Kush, Lemon Diesel, Trainwreck, and EXODUS CHEESE, along with Ken's GDP.

A

Apis

World of Seeds Landrace Afghani and Paki are great strains. I pulled 2 oz dried from their "small" auto-variety grown indoor. I've got a Paki going right now.

I made some nice hash from the Afghani.

S

Sea Of Green

I think you could do really well with a good shiskaberry

I can vouche for that, atleast in NW Oregon. I've put a 3" clone in the ground on July 31st and harvested a 6'+ plant with ~4.5 oz. on October 4th. I can't even imagine how many lbs. it would have yielded if I'd got it planted say May 1st or so. A few more months for some veg time, of which it had almost none, and who knows what could happen? I'm still waiting to find out, one of these days, one of these days...Anyhow she'd be a big ass MFer no doubt though. She grows like a "weed"(no pun intended). Straight upwards, and FAST. If you didn't top it, I can guarantee you the main cola would stretch to 14-15 feet tall EASILY.

I've seen lots of stuff turn out really nice here. But some strains just won't finish quick enough. I've concluded that pretty much anything with a good amount of indica in the genetics(say 25% or better)will do well, to extremely well, here. Based on what I've seen in my many years playing this game with friends and family.

Speaking of Haze though, it's one of the ones that I wouldn't recommend. WAY too long to finish. None of the seeds I've gotten out of bags of brick weed/Mexican have finished quick enough either, of course. Despite having tried them numerous times in attempts to increase my odds of yielding more tonnage out there in the jungle. Grown some nice ones in terms of healthy plants, they just never made the cut(pun intended). So I don't fuck around with anything too sativa anymore outdoors here.

G

Growing247

World of Seeds Landrace Afghani and Paki are great strains. I pulled 2 oz dried from their "small" auto-variety grown indoor. I've got a Paki going right now.

I made some nice hash from the Afghani.

I was lucky enough to get the full size Afghan Kush as well as the auto Kush Ryder as a freebie from an order I placed online from Single Seed center. All the seeds I paid top dollar for were crap compared to the nugs I got off those plants. Heavy heavy nugs. I had never see such tight buds with so little leaves. All my buds were trellised and had to be suspended by strings to keep from snapping the branches. Ran the dehumififier @ 45% 24/7 for 9 or 10 weeks so no mildew issues. Everyone who smoked the bud said it was a wild tasting (being a landrace) but was also very tastey and stoney as hell. I also got about a dozen selfed seeds that I replanted and got another crop too. Always check the "larf" buds near the bottom of the plant, because I often find seeds in that area of the plants from time to time. I'm thinking about buying a few more packs but they are kind of expensive for what they are buy possibly one of the best auto flowers I've ever come across. I want to try the Pakistani Ryder as well and the full size also to compare genetics. That was fun growing both Afghanis at the same time.

G

Growing247

do it the right way

All the stuff that does well in BC should do OK in the colder parts of OREGON. However, Oregon is full of microclimates. Weed grown near the coast needs to be greenhoused or hoop housed or you can expect some nice powdery mildew and rain up the wazoo by mid september. Indoor in the way to go I'm afraid. 2000 watts you can grow 12 plants no problem as long as they're not too big.

PS. In the winter months it is cold and humid every single day. Expect to run @ least 1 dehumidifier per grow room and also another dehumidifier upstairs if you live in a 2 story house. My power bill went from 75-80 to 210-230 once I started a mother room with a 6X T5 and a flower room running 2 1000 Watt switchable air cooled ballasts along with 2 circulation fans and 2 exhaust fans to exhaust the hot humid stinky air outdoors through an old chimney pipe. Also, I was running an aeroponic pump 24/7 and 5 CFL's making 35 clones every 15 days or so. I tore my whole setup down and am rebuilding it from the ground up with safety in mind. I am bringing in a master electrician to test and rewire and replace all the outlets and test and replace my fuse box because it is dated from the 1960s. I'm going to add HALON fire supression modules as well as a good lighting controller. Not cheap, but neither is explaining to the cops why your house burnt down due to crappy grow room installs.

Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

You and Chef still doing it big?

Anyway, how the hell have ya been man? We should meet up sometime. Give me a text or a call if ya still have my number.

S

Sea Of Green

24 Star treks
I was wondering if that was a real strain or not. I grabbed a 1/2 oz. of it not too long ago. Not bad stuff. Kinda purple, smokes pretty good. Gotta fruity, skunky, hashy, smell/taste too it.

http://forum.grasscity.com/indoor-marijuana-growing/391869-my-own-strain-star-trek.html#post4645175

Turns out it is, or was(?) a strain. I had to look hard for it, but I did find a reference to it. Can't imagine where you got the seeds(who sells Star Trek seeds?). But since I know a guy who's growing what he calls Star Trek here in OR, it probably wouldn't be too hard to get some clones of. Not for me anyways...:cool0041:

G

Greencandyman

Nanda Devi and Garwali will do really good outside in e oregon. Both are high mountain, himalayan strains that like the cold from the real seed company. Same with Parvati. Highland nepalese from referman, thru attitude, will also do really good. Can't wait to start mine outside next year. I am also going to try my santa narta columbian gold outside next year and columbian black. DJ short grew em out as far north as seattle, w/o greenhouse, and they finished in time. Can't wait!

Dreng

Dreng

guerilla

I'm an outdoor UK guerilla grower, only got 2 seasons under my belt, but some things have become apparent. The fastest to flower plant I've grown so far is Sannies Heribei, one pheno started flowering at the end of May, this being the kingdom of rain, there was some bud rot beginning to mid August.

sativa's take longer, but survive rain and high humidity/lower temps better. One surprise was Barney's' 8 ball kush last year, weather was terrible 3 days of solid rain at end of September and cold and wet thereon. The 8 ball came out looking much more sat dom and survived to early December with very little mould. Nice grapefruit taste and fairly pokey.

It's always a struggle between quality/ quantity and bud rot susceptibility imho, don't believe what the seed companies tell you for one thing, resistance to mould is universally over estimated by seed sellers, if it looks fat and juicy an tasty to you, goes the same for botritis.

Bubble bags are a good investment, anything that is a bit too young to smoke because of early harvest, you can bubble hash along with the trim.

Good luck with it.

Breeder

Breeder

Chubby and smokey huh,glad to see some familiar folks. I'm running a few plants this years

Ss AK~47
green Crack
Black Domina
Jack the Ripper
Shadow
p91
Blueberry x hash plant
The White
707Headband
Mendo x Afgooey
Pre98 Bubba Kush
Shishkaberry
Dr. Funkenstein

I agree with the shishkaberry for Oregon,Headband is huge,Mendo x afgooey,green crack,bubba,p91 are all easy grows with heavy yields. Some of the others we shall see in the end what they do outdoors. Best of luck with harvests everyone

S

Sea Of Green

That's 3 for Shiskaberry.

And here I was thinking that I was the only one growing it in OR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom