What type of deficiency is this?

• Thread starter Mastrosso
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

Mastrosso

My plants are outdoors and the only one not doing very well is my Bubba Kush. It is smaller than the other plants and appears to have some deficiencies. I initially suspected it was a nitrogen and calcium deficiency, which could be the case. I have been feeding it more nutes, I also read online that Bubba Kush has higher nutrient requirements than most other strains so it makes sense it acquired a deficiency. They say it needs higher amounts of nitrogen, calcium, and magnesium especially.

It also could be from pests maybe but my other plants are right next to it and look much more healthy, so I doubt it's bugs. It has also been on the same nutrient regimen as the other plants, until just a week or two ago when I began feeding it extra. It has improved but still not where I want it to be. Most of the leaves look fine now but so.e still look unhealthy. I attached a few pics of problem leaves. They were wet when I took the pic which is why they have a shine to them. They are light green with lots it tiny yellow specks or white specks and some brown spots or brown tips.

What type of deficiency is this
What type of deficiency is this 2
What type of deficiency is this 3
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
My plants are outdoors and the only one not doing very well is my Bubba Kush. It is smaller than the other plants and appears to have some deficiencies. I initially suspected it was a nitrogen and calcium deficiency, which could be the case. I have been feeding it more nutes, I also read online that Bubba Kush has higher nutrient requirements than most other strains so it makes sense it acquired a deficiency. They say it needs higher amounts of nitrogen, calcium, and magnesium especially.

It also could be from pests maybe but my other plants are right next to it and look much more healthy, so I doubt it's bugs. It has also been on the same nutrient regimen as the other plants, until just a week or two ago when I began feeding it extra. It has improved but still not where I want it to be. Most of the leaves look fine now but so.e still look unhealthy. I attached a few pics of problem leaves. They were wet when I took the pic which is why they have a shine to them. They are light green with lots it tiny yellow specks or white specks and some brown spots or brown tips.
post pictures of full plants as well and are these in pots or in the ground?

M

Mastrosso

post pictures of full plants as well and are these in pots or in the ground?
Two plants are in pots and two are in the ground

Only one plant looks like this, the Bubba Kush, and it is in a container. The other container plant (Watermelon Skittlez) doesn't look as good as the ones in the ground but it's much better than the Bubba Kush. I'll take a pic of the whole plant shortly.

M

Mastrosso

Here are a couple more pics of the Bubba Kush. Still looks a little light green, not quite yellow but seems to be deficient in nitrogen. Thing is, I use a pretty rich super soil and I've been feeding it a decent amount of nitrogen. So maybe the nitrogen is being locked out by too much or too little of something else? Or maybe it's another type of deficiency altogether and not even a nitrogen deficiency at all?

20230815 162633
20230815 162639
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

It looks like a calcium problem to me as well. What is the super soul?
I'm thinking bumping up your soil microbes should help break down the lobster compost and make it more plant available.

Boil 1 Potato in a liter of rain water until mushy. Blend water and potato in blender.
Dump in a bucket. Add 2 nice handfuls of the best garden soil you have available.
add 2 L rain water and mix well. Cover and set in the sun for 2 days.
When it's all foamy bubbles on top it's ready to use. Mix 10 rain water to 1 microbe solution.
Strain it into your watering can so the soil does not plug up the holes.
Water with this once a week for the rest of your grow.

If you have to use city water make sure and off gas it at least 48 hrs or the chlorine in it will kill all the microbes your trying to grow.

Last edited:
M

Mastrosso

Are you using Calmag?
Been using Bush doctor calmag. My soil mixture also contains alot of Coast of Maine Lobster Compost which is high in calci
It looks like a calcium problem to me as well. What is the super soul?
I'm thinking bumping up your soil microbes should help break down the lobster compost and make it more plant available.

Boil 1 Potato in a liter of rain water until mushy. Blend water and potato in blender.
Dump in a bucket. Add 2 nice handfuls of the best garden soil you have available.
add 2 L rain water and mix well. Cover and set in the sun for 2 days.
When it's all foamy bubbles on top it's ready to use. Mix 10 rain water to 1 microbe solution.
Strain it into your watering can so the soil does not plug up the holes.
Water with this once a week for the rest of your grow.

If you have to use city water make sure and off gas it at least 48 hrs or the chlorine in it will kill all the microbes your trying to grow.
I have well water. Every time i give them nutes I give them fish sh!t (beneficial bacteria) and sometimes unleash. When transplanting I used great white shark mychorizzae and beneficial bacteria. I feed once or twice per week.

My super soil mix is as follows:

4 parts Fox Farm Happy Frog
3 parts Fox Farm Ocean Forest
1.5 to 2 parts Coast of Maine Lobster Compost
1 to 1.5 parts Otter River Black Gold Organic Cow Manure (locally sourced from a dairy farm for local microbes and also has nutrients)
1 part Mother Earth Coco Perlite 70/30
A half part Coast of Maine Earthworm Castings

Here Are pictures of a couple other plants I have grown in the same soil at the same location. The only difference is these two are in the ground and different strains - Jack Herer and Durban Poison. Not a big fan of Bubba Kush so far, it seems very fussy. Really hated being transplanted. They say its a heavy feeder so I guess I'll increase the nutes. I always use fox farm at half strength. Now the Bubba will get full strength Fox farm when I use those! The other plants I'll keep at half strength. One half to two thirds of the time I used roots organics and other fully organic products. Sometimes I use fox farm. But I give them bushdoctor cal mag EVERY time I feed now regardless of whether it's fox farm or roots organics.

My other plants are doing amazing but Bubba is pissing me off.

20230809 142720
20230809 142631
20230809 142458
Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

You have a pretty nice setup.
Why the fancy potting mix? Your doing kind of a hybrid grow.
No need for the fox farm or Root organics at all. Almost nothing purchased you have everything right there.
Watch a few of Nate's Videos and hit your Bubba Kush with microbe Solution once or twice a week for the rest of it's grow.
This is just a big plant in a pot that's to small for the indigenous life in the soil to keep up to.
I would not suggest that you add any more dressings at this time. Just give this plant Microbial solution and water.
I'd also suggest that you hit all of your plants with wood ash solution as described.
Really soak it good twice a week and see what happens.

Check this out.

You could start with this in the ground or pot.

Hit the soil with some bone meal as described.

Then feed with anything in the first link.
I use a lot of Chicken poo JLF for a nitrogen boost.

You could make up a drum of JLF pretty quick. Dump in a 20L bucket of Microbe solution. Then throw in all your wast material from this years grow and water with it next season.
Super deluxe cannabis fertilizer!

Finish up with this.
This is my Laughing Buddha. 100% organic as described above.
DSCF1045 2

A couple Wedding cakes also 100% organic as above.

DSCF1047

M

Mastrosso

You have a pretty nice setup.
Why the fancy potting mix? Your doing kind of a hybrid grow.
No need for the fox farm or Root organics at all. Almost nothing purchased you have everything right there.
Watch a few of Nate's Videos and hit your Bubba Kush with microbe Solution once or twice a week for the rest of it's grow.
This is just a big plant in a pot that's to small for the indigenous life in the soil to keep up to.
I would not suggest that you add any more dressings at this time. Just give this plant Microbial solution and water.
I'd also suggest that you hit all of your plants with wood ash solution as described.
Really soak it good twice a week and see what happens.

Check this out.

You could start with this in the ground or pot.

Hit the soil with some bone meal as described.

Then feed with anything in the first link.
I use a lot of Chicken poo JLF for a nitrogen boost.

You could make up a drum of JLF pretty quick. Dump in a 20L bucket of Microbe solution. Then throw in all your wast material from this years grow and water with it next season.
Super deluxe cannabis fertilizer!

Finish up with this.
This is my Laughing Buddha. 100% organic as described above.
View attachment 2023880

A couple Wedding cakes also 100% organic as above.

View attachment 2023881
I'm saying though I give it lots of microbes already. Fish Sh!t is a beneficial microbe product and they all get it once a week. I usually use Unleash as well. And also used great white shark while transplanting.

I bought all of the stuff to make aerated compost tea and might try that out as well. But I doubt the issue is that my soil is lacking in microbes. The happy Frog is inoculated with mychorizzae and also the amendments I add provide microbes as well. I also add a tiny bit of pure maple syrup made from a local sugar house when I feed to help multiply the bacteria.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

I just told you what the problem is with the plant and how to fix it. If you actually want to help your plant. Watch all of the videos I sent you, there are about 20 of them. Throw all that junk in the trash can. All the best bud hope you figure it out.

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
firstly it’s not a nutrient issue especially not a calmag one..
geezus the advice @Imzzaudae gives is absolutely horrendous..
if anything that plant has become root bound which will affect the nitrogen/nutrient uptake, than weakening the immune system making it perfect for pest, mildew, viroids etc to infect the plant..
so curious what size pot is it in?
has it been sitting out during all the rain storms this year?

M

Mastrosso

I just told you what the problem is with the plant and how to fix it. If you actually want to help your plant. Watch all of the videos I sent you, there are about 20 of them. Throw all that junk in the trash can. All the best bud hope you figure it out.

No offense dude, but most of my plants look more badass than yours. So I don't think my regimen is junk, otherwise your plants would look better than mine overall. The only exception is this Bubba Kush plant. If ALL or even half of my plants were struggling, then i would adjust my regimen in general. But this thread is only about this one particular plant. I think you misdiagnosed the issue. I am looking for help from people on the internet, but that doesn't mean I'll believe everything that I read on the internet either. I'm not interested in throwing away the nutrients that I spent plenty of money on and have given me great results overall. This Bubba Kush plant is a unique case. Look at this Blue Dream I put at my friend's house in my super soil and have been regularly fertilizing - it's an absolute monster. So I don't think my regimen is "bad" or should be thrown away. I'm trying to determine a problem with ONE specific plant. This is a pic of one giant Blue Dream plant in the same soil and nutrient regimen (this one gets even less nutes since I live 2 hours away from where it is planted).

20230811 173420
M

Mastrosso

firstly it’s not a nutrient issue especially not a calmag one..
geezus the advice @Imzzaudae gives is absolutely horrendous..
if anything that plant has become root bound which will affect the nitrogen/nutrient uptake, than weakening the immune system making it perfect for pest, mildew, viroids etc to infect the plant..
so curious what size pot is it in?
has it been sitting out during all the rain storms this year?

Lol, his advice doesn't seem too bad, the potato thing might work. I just don't think my soil is lacking in microbes because I'm really big on supplying them with plenty of beneficial bacteria and also organic matter to keep those bacteria happy. And again, my other plants are all doing fantastic. I'm not interested in anyone telling me that my nutrient regimen sucks or that my custom soil mix sucks, because if 95% of my plants are doing fantastic then I don't need to adjust my overall approach very much. I need to figure out the issue with this one single plant.

Also to answer a question I forgot to answer about my soil mix - I have developed it over time and my family have always been big into Fox Farm products. Originally i began gardening with fox farm happy Frog and ocean forest 50/50 mix with some cow manure, which works pretty good. But all of the best growers I know have been going g coast of maine now so I have been trying some coast of maine products, and they work great!!!! My grows are doing even better. Fox Frm without the coast of maine initially has more "pop" but after 2 weeks the soil with coast of maine amendments mixed in starts zooming past the other one. Fox Farm soils do fade fairly quickly on their own which is why I always mixed in some manure. Based on how much I thicken up the soil with the manure and other amendments I fluff it back up a bit with some coco perlite. I like using peat based soil but adding a little coco has some benefits with aeration and also coco is ph of 6 whereas peat moss is ph of 4, so I feel when adding as an amendment the coco is easier to deal with in terms of pH because you don't need to balance it with lime.

The plant is in a 30 gallon pot. It COULD be finally reaching the limits of the pit, but the problem it had was MUCH worse when I first transplanted. To be honest, this plant was doing poorly even before I transplanted. It suffered way more shock than the other plants. It's an extremely sensitive plant - the first 2 weeks I put it outside it would look like it was going to die every time it would rain. It wasn't even an overwatering thing, even if it didn't rain much just the force of the rain hitting the plant would make it start keeling over. Bubba Kush is probably more suited to indoors. But I don't think it's root bound simply because the problem it has was WORSE when it was early on after being transplanted, and in a 30 gallon pot it takes at least a few weeks to become root bound, maybe more. My in ground plants are doing better than the container plants and they always do, but that isn't just about being root bound. Black plastic pots fluctuate very much in temperature and can get way too hot during the day. Also the in ground plants are part of a much more complete ecosystem, which helps all that microbial life in the soil.

Yes it has been sitting out during all the rain storms. It got rained on alot when it first went out. If anything I'd be more worried that it might have root rot, rather than being root bound.

M

Mastrosso

Have you done a close up inspection for any pests?
I have been seeing some cucumber beetles here and there, that could be part of it. There is some pests but not a serious infestation. The other plants in the same garden also have the same types of insect visitors and are overall doing much better. There isn't a serious infestation on any of my plants. I check on them every few hours, so like 5 times a day, because I work from home as a software engineer and I'm always home. Every two or three hours I go outside to check on my chickens and check on my plants, so I'm quite well aware of if there are pest problems or powdery mildew or anything like that.

I suspect bugs might be the culprit but it's a tough sell since it doesn't have a serious infestation and the other plants are exposed to the same bugs and don't seem to mind. I have been using neem oil and trifecta integrated pest management. I also spray with 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 3 parts water to prevent powdery mildew. I stopped using neem last week because it can affect taste of buds and now I'm in flowering. Trifecta can be used a little longer because it breaks down more quickly but have to cut that off soon too. I don't want to overdo the trifecta or peroxide, but we did get powdery mildew here last year and I don't want it again. It doesn't help that my landlady put her squash plants right next to my cannabis plants. Squash plants are extremely prone to powdery mildew, which is probably why she put them next to mine instead of next to hers.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I have been seeing some cucumber beetles here and there, that could be part of it. There is some pests but not a serious infestation. The other plants in the same garden also have the same types of insect visitors and are overall doing much better. There isn't a serious infestation on any of my plants. I check on them every few hours, so like 5 times a day, because I work from home as a software engineer and I'm always home. Every two or three hours I go outside to check on my chickens and check on my plants, so I'm quite well aware of if there are pest problems or powdery mildew or anything like that.

I suspect bugs might be the culprit but it's a tough sell since it doesn't have a serious infestation and the other plants are exposed to the same bugs and don't seem to mind. I have been using neem oil and trifecta integrated pest management. I also spray with 1 part hydrogen peroxide and 3 parts water to prevent powdery mildew. I stopped using neem last week because it can affect taste of buds and now I'm in flowering. Trifecta can be used a little longer because it breaks down more quickly but have to cut that off soon too. I don't want to overdo the trifecta or peroxide, but we did get powdery mildew here last year and I don't want it again. It doesn't help that my landlady put her squash plants right next to my cannabis plants. Squash plants are extremely prone to powdery mildew, which is probably why she put them next to mine instead of next to hers.
drainage holes in that bucket?
that’s different types of powdery mildew..
rootbound will cause a nutrient deficiency look along with those tiny specks and some of those mis-shaped leaves..,
peroxide also can cause those specks also mites and thrips..
though if you read up/research HLVd could be that, as that viroid has infected pretty much everything especially anything kush.,

M

Mastrosso

drainage holes in that bucket?
that’s different types of powdery mildew..
rootbound will cause a nutrient deficiency look along with those tiny specks and some of those mis-shaped leaves..,
peroxide also can cause those specks also mites and thrips..
though if you read up/research HLVd could be that, as that viroid has infected pretty much everything especially anything kush.,

There are drainage holes in the bucket, it was a 30 gallon container that I bought from a grow shop.

I'm 100% positive the problem was not caused by being root bound. It was not root bound when I transplanted it from the solo cup to the 30 gallon pot back in late June. The problem was most severe during July, particularly early July. At this point, the problem exists, but is mostly resolved.

Is it possible for a plant that was in a solo cup to become root bound within 2 weeks of being transplanted into a 30 gallon pot? I think it is impossible - 30 gallons is a ton of soil. I do add mycos and rooting hormone when I transplant to stimulate the roots but even still they will not fill 30 gallons of soil in less than 2 weeks even with that extra boost. At this point, the roots are probably mostly filling out the container. However, the problem was most severe the first 2 weeks after being transplanted and at this point it has improved alot, it has been steadily improving the past few weeks. If the cause was being root bound, it should be gradually getting worse. Also, if the cause was being root bound, it wouldn't have begun until AT LEAST 2 weeks after being transplanted - because plants never become root bound on the same exact day that you transplant them into a large container.

Could be from peroxide, but then why wouldn't other plants get the specks? Maybe the Bubba kush could be more sensitive to the peroxide. It probably isn't peroxide but I consider it a much more likely possibility than being caused by root binding. I have also seen neem oil burn plant leaves.

I will do some more research on that virus. Could definitely be that, I have been hearing about it lately.

There are some things that I know it is not (like being root bound or lacking Microbial life) but some things it definitely could be (viral, nutrient deficiency, pests, peroxide, neem oil). It is also very possible that it is a combination of multiple factors. I appreciate you guys helping me out - I don't agree with every single opinion but I like to get many opinions and weigh each one. There's often times more than one cause so I like to hear different people's points of view.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
There are drainage holes in the bucket, it was a 30 gallon container that I bought from a grow shop.

I'm 100% positive the problem was not caused by being root bound. It was not root bound when I transplanted it from the solo cup to the 30 gallon pot back in late June. The problem was most severe during July, particularly early July. At this point, the problem exists, but is mostly resolved.

Is it possible for a plant that was in a solo cup to become root bound within 2 weeks of being transplanted into a 30 gallon pot? I think it is impossible - 30 gallons is a ton of soil. I do add mycos and rooting hormone when I transplant to stimulate the roots but even still they will not fill 30 gallons of soil in less than 2 weeks even with that extra boost. At this point, the roots are probably mostly filling out the container. However, the problem was most severe the first 2 weeks after being transplanted and at this point it has improved alot, it has been steadily improving the past few weeks. If the cause was being root bound, it should be gradually getting worse. Also, if the cause was being root bound, it wouldn't have begun until AT LEAST 2 weeks after being transplanted - because plants never become root bound on the same exact day that you transplant them into a large container.

Could be from peroxide, but then why wouldn't other plants get the specks? Maybe the Bubba kush could be more sensitive to the peroxide. It probably isn't peroxide but I consider it a much more likely possibility than being caused by root binding. I have also seen neem oil burn plant leaves.

I will do some more research on that virus. Could definitely be that, I have been hearing about it lately.

There are some things that I know it is not (like being root bound or lacking Microbial life) but some things it definitely could be (viral, nutrient deficiency, pests, peroxide, neem oil). It is also very possible that it is a combination of multiple factors. I appreciate you guys helping me out - I don't agree with every single opinion but I like to get many opinions and weigh each one. There's often times more than one cause so I like to hear different people's points of
ok

Top Bottom