What type of deficiency is this?

• Thread starter Mastrosso
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
The light green plant in post #5 looks like it might be sativa dominant. A lighter color is a characteristic of the C. sativa species.

M

Mastrosso

The hlvd thing might definitely be it. Have to do more research to be sure but I'm worried that could be it.
One of the main symptoms of hlvd is "chlorosis" according to the internet. Chlorosis means lack of chlorophyll, and chlorophyll makes the plant leaves green. So chlorosis causes leaves in general to have a more light green or yellow appearance. Totally could be it since one of the main symptoms on my Bubba Kush is that the leaves have been lighter green or yellowy despite being fed a pretty good amount of nitrogen. The plant has also been growing more slowly than the others and stunted growth is another symptom. I'm not sure this is the problem but it seems more likely than any other suggestion thus far. Will have to keep doing more research and keep observing the plant to be sure.

M

Mastrosso

The light green plant in post #5 looks like it might be sativa dominant. A lighter color is a characteristic of the C. sativa species.
The plant in question is Bubba Kush, which is believed to be 80% to 100% indica. So it's basically a pure indica, with just a little sativa mixed in probably. Definitely not from being sativa dominant.

Imzzaudae

Imzzaudae

Your plant's in the ground are very nice. I am talking about the under potted plant that is sick not mine.
You know, the one you came on here asking for help to fix.

You need to understand that I grow organic. I have studied this stuff and used it in my gardens for 40 years. I don't use anything that comes from a farm because most cattle are fed round up ready feed. That herbicide is in the poo, it may be in minuscule amounts but it matters.

It's super easy to get sucked into the factory made super soil and amendment way of growing. And there is old nick sitting on the fence shooting his face off again. I could care less what he or anyone else is telling you. I'm telling you that there is not enough microbial life in the soil to support a plant this size. You can fix it in a couple of weeks just watering with microbe solution as I described above. Everything is already in the pot. It's just not in a plant available state.

Try making all your own fertilizers. JLF and amendments. Your place is a veritable gold mine of organic material. You could easily do this. All you need is a few 20L buckets. There is really no need for you to be buying all the amendments. Your simply wasting your money. Really.

I wish you well bud hope you take the time to watch a few of the videos I posted. The microbe solution and wood ash water will fix your plant if you deep water with it and she will green right up.

Last edited:
M

Mastrosso

Your plant's in the ground are very nice. I am talking about the under potted plant that is sick not mine.

You need to understand that I grow organic. I have studied this stuff and used it in my gardens for 40 years. I don't use anything that comes from a farm because most cattle are fed round up ready feed. That herbicide is in the poo, it may be in minuscule amounts but it matters.

It's super easy to get sucked into the factory made super soil and amendment way of growing. And there is old nick sitting on the fence shooting his face off again. I could care less what he or anyone else is telling you. I'm telling you that there is not enough microbial life in the soil to support a plant this size. You can fix it in a couple of weeks just watering with microbe solution as I described above. Everything is already in the pot. It's just not in a plant available state.

Try making all your own fertilizers. JLF and amendments. Your place is a veritable gold mine of organic material. You could easily do this. All you need is a few 20L buckets. There is really no need for you to be buying all the amendments. Your simply wasting your money. Really.

I wish you well bud hope you take the time to watch a few of the videos I posted. The microbe solution and wood ash water will fix your plant if you deep water with it and she will green right up.

The dairy farm I get it from is a completely organic farm. I am friends with them and they do not use round up.

The plants in the ground are also in my super soil mix. I dug giant holes, and filled them with 30 to 50 gallons of my super soil mix, then planted the plants in those mounds of in ground super soil. Sorry, but it isn't that my soil mix is lacking. I take pride in my soil mix and the Microbial life that I add. If you're going to keep telling me my methods are junk, then I'm just going to ignore you. My plants are better than yours overall, and I only have one plant that is struggling. So overall I believe my methods are actually superior to yours and I therefore don't wish to use your methods. I'm only asking for help on what would be causing this issue. But if you're going to just tell me that my soils and fertilizers are junk then I will ignore you, because you are being ignorant.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
The plant in question is Bubba Kush, which is believed to be 80% to 100% indica. So it's basically a pure indica, with just a little sativa mixed in probably. Definitely not from being sativa dominant.
The narrow leaves and long internodal lengths, in addition to the lighter color, are all characteristics of sativa.

M

Mastrosso

The narrow leaves and long internodal lengths, in addition to the lighter color, are all characteristics of sativa.
Agreed. However, the plant is a Bubba kush. Bubba Kush is a famous indica strain.

Lighter colored leaves, deformed leaves, and irregular branching are symptoms of HLVD. Which means it is possible for an indica plant with HLVD to look more like a sativa.

My Durban Poison plant is basically a pure sativa, and has thicker leaves than my Bubba kush. So my Bubba kush appears to be legit deformed. The leaves and branching appear to be quite irregular, and it might not be from the strain itself but possibly something else. Even pure sativas have thicker and darker leaves than this plant, which is a pure indica. This plant is truly irregular looking, which is the whole reason why I'm asking about this one specific plant. The other plants all look perfectly fine and healthy. This one clearly had something wrong with it and I doubt it's simply due to differences in strain.

It has improved alot these past few weeks though. The new leaves coming in are basically a perfect shade of green now and none of the new leaves have white specks. So maybe it was just a nitrogen and calmag deficiency. I use mostly organic ferts which do not release immediately and so that might be why it's gradually improving but not as quickly as I'd like. I really hope it does not have HLVD but out of all the suggestions thus far it seems to be the most likely culprit if it isn't just a nutrient deficiency. I know it is not caused by root binding, strain, or lack of microbial life. Most likely causes are nutrient deficiency and/or HLVD. Pests, sprays (peroxide or neem), or excess rain could also be factors. I also believe Bubba kush just isn't as outdoor friendly and articles on Bubba Kush state it is a heavy feeder with high requirements for nitrogen and calmag.

Last edited:
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter

40 yrs hahahaha and STILL NO IDEA OF WHAT YOUR DOING OR HOW TO HELP PEOPLE..
just stop posting your bullshit because you DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!!.. and the thing is everyone knows it so just stop..
you could take some lessons from @Mastrosso

M

Mastrosso

40 yrs hahahaha and STILL NO IDEA OF WHAT YOUR DOING OR HOW TO HELP PEOPLE..
just stop posting your bullshit because you DO NOT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING!!.. and the thing is everyone knows it so just stop..
you could take some lessons from @Mastrosso
Some of his methods are probably not too bad. They definitely smell like "old timer" methods, and he is an old timer, after all. But that doesn't mean they are "bad". Some of them definitely might be bad but I bet some are half decent or even good.

Many old timers were taught stuff from their father or grandfather that was passed down by their father or grandfather. Like putting fish in the planting hole under the plant - it actually works pretty well from what I hear. But I'd rather use fish hydrolysate so I have more control over when the plant absorbs the nitrogen. Fish Hydrolysate is a more modern and scientific version of fish fertilizer. There are lots of methods from Native Americans and people's grandfathers that are on the right track. Thing is, their knowledge was quite outdated and are usually not the cutting edge of science, research, and cultivation. But many of the modern methods (such as fish emulsion or microbial sources) are based on ancient methods (such as fish in planting holes or compost tea).

The thing I dislike about him isn't his methods, it is his attitude. He jumps to conclusions about my problems but he can't even see my plants in person. Problems often involve multiple factors and I think it's good to explore multiple possible angles. Also I just don't like how he keeps telling me my methods are junk and that I should throw my fertilizer away. His potato or wood Ash methods may indeed work pretty well, but the companies fish sh!t, unleash, and great white shark are regarded with respect by many growers at being in the forefront of research and development of beneficial bacteria products. Old school homemade approaches are not necessarily useless, but it is both foolish and ignorant for anyone to assume that their outdated and primitive methods will work much better than methods provided by companies that have invested millions of dollars and thousands of man-hours into developing cutting edge beneficial bacteria products. You could definitely argue that they are over priced (a small tube of fish sh!t costs almost 50 bucks) but highly skilled and experienced growers wouldn't consistently pay such a high price for them if they were completely useless junk.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
Agreed. However, the plant is a Bubba kush. Bubba Kush is a famous indica strain.

Lighter colored leaves, deformed leaves, and irregular branching are symptoms of HLVD. Which means it is possible for an indica plant with HLVD to look more like a sativa.

My Durban Poison plant is basically a pure sativa, and has thicker leaves than my Bubba kush. So my Bubba kush appears to be legit deformed. The leaves and branching appear to be quite irregular, and it might not be from the strain itself but possibly something else. Even pure sativas have thicker and darker leaves than this plant, which is a pure indica. This plant is truly irregular looking, which is the whole reason why I'm asking about this one specific plant. The other plants all look perfectly fine and healthy. This one clearly had something wrong with it and I doubt it's simply due to differences in strain.

It has improved alot these past few weeks though. The new leaves coming in are basically a perfect shade of green now and none of the new leaves have white specks. So maybe it was just a nitrogen and calmag deficiency. I use mostly organic ferts which do not release immediately and so that might be why it's gradually improving but not as quickly as I'd like. I really hope it does not have HLVD but out of all the suggestions thus far it seems to be the most likely culprit if it isn't just a nutrient deficiency. I know it is not caused by root binding, strain, or lack of microbial life. Most likely causes are nutrient deficiency and/or HLVD. Pests, sprays (peroxide or neem), or excess rain could also be factors. I also believe Bubba kush just isn't as outdoor friendly and articles on Bubba Kush state it is a heavy feeder with high requirements for nitrogen and calmag.
Okay. I was just suggesting a possibility. I'm glad it's doing better.

M

Mastrosso

I just went outside to look at it again and it really is looking pretty good at this point. I think I might just be worrying too much. I use mostly organic nutrients which do not release immediately. Some of my Fox farm products are instant release but I use those sparingly and rely more on completely organic methods.

Since organic methods are not instant release i think maybe I was just being too impatient. The yellow, white, and brown discoloring does not exist on any of the new leaves, only some of the older fan leaves. So it was probably just a deficiency and took longer to resolve than I would like due to primarily using slow release nutrients. I will also be on the lookout for hlvd symptoms though. I really hope it is not HLVD but certainly could be. Although you'd think if it was viroid then it would be getting worse over time rather than slowly improving.

M

Mastrosso

Here is a pic of a Bubba kush leaf from the internet. It looks similar to mine. I agree it is kind of sativa looking for an indica, which is odd. Bubba Kush seems to be kind of an odd strain in general with strange requirements. It better produce some good shit considering how frustrating it is to deal with as a grower.

Shot of green medical marijuana cannabis growing i 2023 03 15 17 03 07 utcBubbaKush
GGOGZin

GGOGZin

The hlvd thing might definitely be it. Have to do more research to be sure but I'm worried that could be it.
I’d stop mixing coco with fox farms, you’ll be running into PH problems most likely

M

Mastrosso

I’d stop mixing coco with fox farms, you’ll be running into PH problems most likely
Why do you say that? I only use very little. The coco perlite mix is no more than 10% of my whole mix. Probably more like 7% or 8%. Also coco coir has a pH of 6.0, which is one of the main reasons that many people prefer to amend with coco coir instead of peat. Peat Moss has a pH of 4.0, so in reality I would be more likely to mess up the pH if I fluffed it up with peat moss.

I also know that my soil mixture is far superior to straight fox farm. My friend is running some plants of straight fox farm and some of my super soil mix. The plants in my super soil grew much more vigorously and look much more healthy than the plants in straight fox farm. I have used fox farm soils for many years and find them to be a bit lacking on their own.

As I mentioned to another poster here, the issue is not my soil. My super soil mix is being used by friends of mine in multiple grows this season all over New England, and this one single plant is the only plant exhibiting a major problem. At this point it isn't even a major problem, it has turned into a minor problem at this point. If 95% of my plants are doing EXTREMELY well then I doubt that my soil mix is to blame, otherwise most of my other plants would suck too.

If I was adding a ton of coco then I agree that would be dumb but I posted the proportions of my mix and you can see the amount of coco is below 10%. Plus it's a mix of coco perlite, so it was basically adding 5% coco and 3% perlite. Not too significant. I add more CoM lobster compost than coco, which has the same exact pH as coco coir (6.0). So while I half agree with you because too much coco is bad in super soil a small amount shouldn't ruin the pH, and really coco is fairly close to ideal pH which is 6.5. The fix farm soils range from 6.3 to 6.8, so it would only slightly lower the pH. Furthermore, cow manure and Earthworm castings tend to raise pH a little bit, leaning more around 6.5 to 7.5, so something with slightly lower pH helps balance that.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
Why do you say that? I only use very little. The coco perlite mix is no more than 10% of my whole mix. Probably more like 7% or 8%. Also coco coir has a pH of 6.0, which is one of the main reasons that many people prefer to amend with coco coir instead of peat. Peat Moss has a pH of 4.0, so in reality I would be more likely to mess up the pH if I fluffed it up with peat moss.

I also know that my soil mixture is far superior to straight fox farm. My friend is running some plants of straight fox farm and some of my super soil mix. The plants in my super soil grew much more vigorously and look much more healthy than the plants in straight fox farm. I have used fox farm soils for many years and find them to be a bit lacking on their own.

As I mentioned to another poster here, the issue is not my soil. My super soil mix is being used by friends of mine in multiple grows this season all over New England, and this one single plant is the only plant exhibiting a major problem. At this point it isn't even a major problem, it has turned into a minor problem at this point. If 95% of my plants are doing EXTREMELY well then I doubt that my soil mix is to blame, otherwise most of my other plants would suck too.

If I was adding a ton of coco then I agree that would be dumb but I posted the proportions of my mix and you can see the amount of coco is below 10%. Plus it's a mix of coco perlite, so it was basically adding 5% coco and 3% perlite. Not too significant. I add more CoM lobster compost than coco, which has the same exact pH as coco coir (6.0). So while I half agree with you because too much coco is bad in super soil a small amount shouldn't ruin the pH, and really coco is fairly close to ideal pH which is 6.5. The fix farm soils range from 6.3 to 6.8, so it would only slightly lower the pH. Furthermore, cow manure and Earthworm castings tend to raise pH a little bit, leaning more around 6.5 to 7.5, so something with slightly lower pH helps balance that.
ok,.. sounds like your good..
in comparing with soils it’s hard unless you have 2 clones from same mother and neither has hlvd.. so kinda useless comparing unless from tissue culture but even than hlvd can sneak in..
here’s my outdoor, a couple weeks ago., the soil here is crap, mostly clay.. i feed it here and there..she’s healthy.. those are 8 ft t-bars.. she is the short pheno of Gelato dream..
IMG 6045
IMG 6042

GGOGZin

GGOGZin

Just my 2 cents, but fox farms soils are as you said 6.3-6.8 but with adding the coco it is going to change that PH and lower it somewhat, might not be drastic drop as you’re only adding a small amount but since you’re growing bubba kush you’ll want to keep the PH between 6.6 and 6.8 in bloom which I don’t think your medium will allow

M

Mastrosso

Just my 2 cents, but fox farms soils are as you said 6.3-6.8 but with adding the coco it is going to change that PH and lower it somewhat, might not be drastic drop as you’re only adding a small amount but since you’re growing bubba kush you’ll want to keep the PH between 6.6 and 6.8 in bloom which I don’t think your medium will allow
If 70% of the mix is fox farm, and the pH is 6.3 to 6.8, and 5% of the mix is coco, and the coco is 6.0, how much does that lower the pH? Then, after adding cow manure of equal volume to the coco coir (meaning 5% of the mix is also cow manure), and cow manure has a pH of 7, what is the pH?

M

Mastrosso

Wrong. 6.3 to 6.8 is average pH of slightly above 6.5

Add 1 part of pH 6.0 material
Add 1 part of pH 7.0 material

Results in pH 6.5

Because 6.5 is halfway between 6.0 and 7.0

Because mathematics

Top Bottom