Whats Happening Here?

• Thread starter Kushkid619
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Interesting. My pH runs from 5.8->6.2 and they seem to be doing ok. I was having problems being in lower pH zone.
60F is too cold and causes nutrient uptake issues. 65F-69F is the range with the least number of issues. 70F and above holds less DO and will breed problems vastly quicker than just one degree below 70F.

They'll do much better from 5.4-5.8, I assure you. It's the swing from 5.4-5.8 and back down to 5.4 which creates the healthiest plants. There is quite a bit of incorrect information about hydroponics on the web. I don't see any algae in your bucket, it should still be covered.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Note I said "IN your bucket." The tiny bit of algae on your upper roots is not going to cause any noticeable issues. You're fine. Light proofing the bucket will prevent algae growth "In" the bucket. An extra handful of pebbles in the net cup will probably be enough to block the rest of the light.

mandalaman

mandalaman

60F is too cold and causes nutrient uptake issues. 65F-69F is the range with the least number of issues. 70F and above holds less DO and will breed problems vastly quicker than just one degree below 70F.

They'll do much better from 5.4-5.8, I assure you. It's the swing from 5.4-5.8 and back down to 5.4 which creates the healthiest plants. There is quite a bit of incorrect information about hydroponics on the web. I don't see any algae in your bucket, it should still be covered.
Oh, sorry For the confusion. I am not the original poster! My Rez is black, temps are 67 For some reason my plants seem to like it better in the 5.8-6.2 range.... might have to do with lack of airstones/agitation in the plant bucket...

mandalaman

mandalaman

How many runs have you run 5.4-5.8, using the natural pH swing from plants eating nutrients. How many runs do you have in the 5.8-6.2 range, for comparison? Awareness is a powerful thing. :)
I hear you, and that's a fair point. Not sure what to tell you. When I drop the pH range they don't appear to like it.

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

I hear you, and that's a fair point. Not sure what to tell you. When I drop the pH range they don't appear to like it.
He is on point. I actually do it just opposite tho cause I'm Rdwc and I have straight ro that is on a float valve. So I start my pH at 5.9 and it drops to 5.5 and then I set it back to 5.9... and repeat. ..
In veg. I let it swing from 5.6 to 6.1

mandalaman

mandalaman

Yeah I'm gonna change Rez today. I'll try hitting some lower pH I suppose. Hesitant to mess with anything because they looking pretty good...

EventHorizan

EventHorizan

Yeah I'm gonna change Rez today. I'll try hitting some lower pH I suppose. Hesitant to mess with anything because they looking pretty good...
Then don't lol!
But hitting them lower pH is good and will cause you no problems. Don't stay there for days. It's never great to stay at any pH forever. Swings are good.

K

Kushkid619

Heres my update. I cleaned everything w/ h2o2 diluted ro water. Sprayed the tops of roots where algae was. I put everything back with fresh nute water. I havent seen any change better or worse. Although the roots are completely dyed as in color and seem to be falling apart. When should i notice something or how long of no change should i wait.

K

Kushkid619

Heres my update. I cleaned everything w/ h2o2 diluted ro water. Sprayed the tops of roots where algae was. I put everything back with fresh nute water. I havent seen any change better or worse. Although the roots are completely dyed as in color and seem to be falling apart. When should i notice something or how long of no change should i wait.
I also covered bucket and added more stones to help with the light getting in bucket issue.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

I would guess the h202 wasn't diluted enough and it's damaged the roots. Next time just leave the itty bits of algae, they're nothing to worry about. Hopefully it recovers.

K

Kushkid619

New growth is dorment. Bottom leaves turning bfown yellow and even breaking apart in pieces. Top leaves are still dark but showing more spots of yellow/brown. Is the damage to extensive or should i keep it going?

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

Tough times. It all depends on the root growth right now. If they're still pulling off easily and you don't have much healthy root mass, probably all over for them. :(

Sorry I didn't catch the request for safely using h202 earlier. I would have recommended against it. Only a few ml/gallon of 3% is usually sufficient. Very easy to burn them, and I've done it before. Lost a C-99 mum almost a decade ago from too strong of h202 on the roots.

Douglas.C

Douglas.C

They do look ok. As long as they're solid, you should recover rather quickly. :)

I'm leaving this forum. Your admin feels it necessary to allow immaturity to run rampant and to play games with their users. Good luck all.

Latest posts

Top Bottom