What's the best way to make hash for a beginner?

• Thread starter TSD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
TSD

TSD

So I just bagged the last of this year's harvest and have come to the conclusion that I will have a fair amount of larf/premie buds... I think I may try my hand at making hash. I've never done it before, but I know there are a few ways to go about it. Would any experienced hash makers like to share thier favorite method, or maybe some tips? I already have a bunch of bud designated for butter and tincture, so I thought maybe I'd give hash a go... or any other extractions I may not have heard of that can be done at home without special gear. Thanks in advance!

growsince79

growsince79

So I just bagged the last of this year's harvest and have come to the conclusion that I will have a fair amount of larf/premie buds... I think I may try my hand at making hash. I've never done it before, but I know there are a few ways to go about it. Would any experienced hash makers like to share thier favorite method, or maybe some tips? I already have a bunch of bud designated for butter and tincture, so I thought maybe I'd give hash a go... or any other extractions I may not have heard of that can be done at home without special gear. Thanks in advance!
Easy isn't the best. Dry ice and 180 micron screen is easy.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Easy isn't the best. Dry ice and 180 micron screen is easy.
Yea, make sure you've got good cross ventilation, and open window. dry ice is nice, but I'm going to try some dry sift, I think. Just try the freezer.
Dry ice is difficult to source right now, in some spots, cause it's used for keeping vaccine cold, during transport.

growsince79

growsince79

Yea, make sure you've got good cross ventilation, and open window. dry ice is nice, but I'm going to try some dry sift, I think. Just try the freezer.
Dry ice is difficult to source right now, in some spots, cause it's used for keeping vaccine cold, during transport.
Well that sucks no dry ice. I gotta go look and see if we got it now. I'm thinkin maybe chop everything up with scissors and dry really good-like bone dry before freezing might help. Or would that ruin the taste?

Moshmen

Moshmen

Well that sucks no dry ice. I gotta go look and see if we got it now. I'm thinkin maybe chop everything up with scissors and dry really good-like bone dry before freezing might help. Or would that ruin the taste?
New to dry sifting myself but bone dry, and good long cure seem to be the key to good yield returns, taste, potentcy IMO

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
do you have dry sifting screens or a bubble washer?
how much weed do you have for hash?
the longer the resin can dry/cure, the easier it is too work with..
i try to wait at least 3-4 months, longer the better..
maybe you should try making qwiso/rso oil.,
here’s a piece of top quality hash i made from dry sifting from material over a year old, i’ve had the piece sealed for about 6 months, smells beautiful!

here’s some made from trimming so only couple weeks drying, these pieces should be sealed and put away for a couple months.
743DFABB 7F83 46C5 8EF5 55390C7AF26E

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
if you use dry ice my method is to have a space/counter.. to shake the bag once in a different spot each time, so like you would have 5-6 piles from 1-6.. than i’d take a pinch from the first one and press between my fingers to see if it sticks together and forms a piece of hash, i’d do this with each pile till the resin isn’t sticking together, than take the piles of resin which are pressing into pieces of hash and i’d put those together and due a hot water bottle press in cellophane, than hand pressing till finish..
using dry ice will create lots of plant material contaminate..

TSD

TSD

Yeah dry ice wasn't available in my area within a two hour radius before the pandemic, I used to work at a food service company and I'd always have people call looking for it, the one company that carried it went under.

TSD

TSD

do you have dry sifting screens or a bubble washer?
how much weed do you have for hash?
the longer the resin can dry/cure, the easier it is too work with..
i try to wait at least 3-4 months, longer the better..
maybe you should try making qwiso/rso oil.,
here’s a piece of top quality hash i made from dry sifting from material over a year old, i’ve had the piece sealed for about 6 months, smells beautiful!View attachment 1181365
here’s some made from trimming so only couple weeks drying, these pieces should be sealed and put away for a couple months.View attachment 1181366
I haven't weighed it yet.. but conservatively... probably a half pound. I had one massive plant that was quite immature except the tops that had to come down due to mold, and then a bunch of larf from a few ladies that could have used more pruning in the beginning. I have no problem waiting for it to cure, I always cure all my stuff for at least a month before I even touch it. Waiting on some grove bags now. I already have a half pound set aside for butter/tincture that is premie from a couple plants I chopped in September because mold loves my climate. I started with 15 plants expecting to lose at least 5 cause that's usually how outdoor goes... but I only lost one fully and two got cut early... so mama had a good year lol. That hash us beautiful, teach me your ways oh kemosabe. 😊

TSD

TSD

I don't have a bubble washer but I think my father in law might have one of those mini crank washing machine deals, that's how he used to make hash, but I've never watched the process. I have just regular old window screens that I use to dry my stuff that won't hang... I can buy some gear as long as it's not too expensive... then again I guess I can sell a bit of my bounty for the cause if I need to.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I don't have a bubble washer but I think my father in law might have one of those mini crank washing machine deals, that's how he used to make hash, but I've never watched the process. I have just regular old window screens that I use to dry my stuff that won't hang... I can buy some gear as long as it's not too expensive... then again I guess I can sell a bit of my bounty for the cause if I need to.
well maybe your father in law can help you out..
probably best to learn first with a bubble washer.,
this is mine, the motor in these kind are great!!
pretty easy to be successful with these..
my thread what’s gnick55 up to has lots of videos of dry sifting, couple bubble washes, making oil with isopropyl.. so on

TSD

TSD

well maybe your father in law can help you out..
probably best to learn first with a bubble washer.,
this is mine, the motor in these kind are great!!
pretty easy to be successful with these..
my thread what’s gnick55 up to has lots of videos of dry sifting, couple bubble washes, making oil with isopropyl.. so onView attachment 1181394
Perfect, I'll stalk your posts... hoping he still has the washer, but the ex wife may have gotten it in the divorce lol. He's a snow bird so he's in Florida till spring, so perhaps I'll just let everything cure till then and have him help me... I cut dried and am curing his plants because he peaced out to Florida as soon as the air made his nipples hard... so he can put in some work to help me. 🙂

TSD

TSD

i’ll be making qwiso hash oil today as well..
I don't even know what that is lol... I know there's a ton of ways to make extracts and such that I'm completely oblivious to. So glad I found this forum... it's totally replaced my Facebook scrolling.

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
hey an old school guy probably can teach me a few things.,
like to know his process..
there’s a few of us on here that can make top quality hash and oil, we’ll get you success, as long as you have patience you are golden😁

GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
I don't even know what that is lol... I know there's a ton of ways to make extracts and such that I'm completely oblivious to. So glad I found this forum... it's totally replaced my Facebook scrolling.
google making qwiso or rso oil.. lots of info to give ya the basic idea..

Backyard_Boogie

Backyard_Boogie

You don't need the bubble washer sure its a nice luxury but I never use them. Im old school wooden spoon, gotta work for that hash in my house. 😂. Buy a kit of those Bubble Bag Dudes and just get a 5 gallon bucket. Set a timer for 10 min grab a wooden spoon and start beating. Make your arms go numb bro thats where its at! Its a right of passage. I have a little hash party and my hommie comes over. Put on some music smoke a blunt and just tag team that shit. We will each have a bucket and bags so in the beginning were doing 2 at a time and once we start to get tired we trade off on a single bucket instead. Standing in my kitchen I be like "Alexa... Set timer for 2 min" as soon as it beeps my hommie grabs the spoon and trade it for another 2 min. After 5 trade offs done. Scrape your product then refill and do it again. We just did it last week by the end of the day we were tired but we made a mountain of hash quick it was worth it.

nashobaTHC

nashobaTHC

After years of making dry ice kief hash, I finally got around to documenting my methods. Started with 75 grams of 10-day dried small buds and ended up with 15 grams kief (cups weigh 2 grams each) that I’ll press into hash pucks. Total elapsed time to run 75 grams of buds was about 15 minutes.

Needed items in first pic:
1. Dry ice (hard to find but worth it)
2. 220 micron sieve bag
3. Smooth glass surface to drop kief
4. Plastic container to pre-freeze buds
5. Small container to scoop dry ice
6. Cardboard box to contain kief cloud
7. Screen and tray to recycle dry ice

AACA5F2A 53AA 4E01 A0CB B534E3E191A0
D9DDF015 E813 4A97 AC77 8FEB6D5D7B6C
A55F0A32 0DBC 4F51 AC40 3648A70B319F
27CB9253 9EC2 4FE6 9AE6 783EBA8D9DA9
9116803A B54C 45D2 AF8C AF6DED76DD29
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
After years of making dry ice kief hash, I finally got around to documenting my methods. Started with 75 grams of 10-day dried small buds and ended up with 15 grams kief (cups weigh 2 grams each) that I’ll press into hash pucks. Total elapsed time to run 75 grams of buds was about 15 minutes.

Needed items in first pic:
1. Dry ice (hard to find but worth it)
2. 220 micron sieve bag
3. Smooth glass surface to drop kief
4. Plastic container to pre-freeze buds
5. Small container to scoop dry ice
6. Cardboard box to contain kief cloud
7. Screen and tray to recycle dry ice
that must taste awful, that totally needs to be cleaned of contaminate.

Top Bottom