Which awesome movies have you watched recently?

• Thread starter NagaKing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DismalDude

DismalDude

That sounds like it, set in a post-apocalyptic New York?

Yes, I know. My family is from San German. If you know Porta Coeli, then you're one plaza over from the old family home (it's next to Sol Theater). My grandparents were married in the church, as were my own parents. My own Spanish is almost all but gone, but then I found Duolingo. Learning Spain Spanish, but fuck 'em.

Wow. Color my mind blown!
That is so cool SM,what a small world we live in.I've been back a couple times when I worked on a tugboat,not to that side of the Island but San Juan.
For me San Juan is a completely different world than Borinquen,Borinquen being better!
Did you ever hang at Hobo's or crash boat beach?Seems we spent all of our time in the water there surfing,boogie boarding,diving,it was the good life.
Survival beach,diving for shells in Boqueron,charity missions in the rain forest with my church etc.
We are planning a family trip back to PR for next year and will stay at Ramey base housing on the cliff in the same house that we actually lived in while we were there.
They rent it out now to ex military at $500 a week.Five bedrooms,two balcony concrete palace.I get excited just thinking about it. ;)
PR

Last edited:
Bluzboy

Bluzboy

That sounds like it, set in a post-apocalyptic New York?

Yes, I know. My family is from San German. If you know Porta Coeli, then you're one plaza over from the old family home (it's next to Sol Theater). My grandparents were married in the church, as were my own parents. My own Spanish is almost all but gone, but then I found Duolingo. Learning Spain Spanish, but fuck 'em.

Wow. Color my mind blown!
I think that one was John Carpenter and was called "Escape from New York" and they did a sequel "Escape From L.A." with Kurt Russell as the anti-hero Snake Pleskin....the apocalyptic new York one..there was the film 'The Ultimate Warrior" with max Von Sydow, Yul Brynner, and William Smith from the late 70's that was an apocalyptic new York film as well you might be thinking of....The Warriors was more of a "surreal I'm mushroomed/peyoted to the max" feeling to it than apocalyptic setting to me...it was more like a early glamour rock gang banger tale set in New York...all the fashion of the gangsters/gang bangers ended up on glamour rockers of the 80's when performing on stage or their promo/album pics from that film too if you think about it.......Poison, Billy Idol, etc... all dressed and created stage personnas that look like right out of that film...its funny as hell to me....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I think I've mixed up a few movies into one, haven't I?
That is so cool SM,what a small world we live in.I've been back a couple times when I worked on a tugboat,not to that side of the Island but San Juan.
For me San Juan is a completely different world than Borinquen,Borinquen being better!
Did you ever hang at Hobo's or crash boat beach?Seems we spent all of our time in the water there surfing,boogie boarding,diving,it was the good life.
Survival beach,diving for shells in Boqueron,charity missions in the rain forest with my church etc.
We are planning a family trip back to PR for next year and will stay at Ramey base housing on the cliff in the same house that we actually lived in while we were there.
They rent it out now to ex military at $500 a week.Five bedrooms,two balcony concrete palace.I get excited just thinking about it. ;)
View attachment 498908
That is cool!
No, I spent most of my time visiting family, or at La Parguera. Weekly trips to see other family in San Juan and surrounding areas. Have you been to Las Cuevas, up by Arecibo? Have you been to the radio telescope? It's pretty cool. One of the last times I was there I rented my own car and spent a lot of time going to places like Guanica (almost bought a house there, but they rejected my offer, wouldn't even COUNTER, just rejected it outright) and Boqueron beach and finding more lechonerias... yeah, I really like it there.

DismalDude

DismalDude

I think I've mixed up a few movies into one, haven't I?
That is cool!
No, I spent most of my time visiting family, or at La Parguera. Weekly trips to see other family in San Juan and surrounding areas. Have you been to Las Cuevas, up by Arecibo? Have you been to the radio telescope? It's pretty cool. One of the last times I was there I rented my own car and spent a lot of time going to places like Guanica (almost bought a house there, but they rejected my offer, wouldn't even COUNTER, just rejected it outright) and Boqueron beach and finding more lechonerias... yeah, I really like it there.
Las Cuevas doesn't ring a bell but I've been to Arecibo quite a few times,even got to walk the catwalk above the dish.Awesome place,one of the guys working there was one of our troop leaders in Boy Scouts so we got the full tour. :)
Never went to Guanica that I remember.Man that blows you didn't get a place there,what a slice of paradise that would have been!
lechonerias... you're making me hungry now,must have pork,lol.
I love the cuisine and miss it.The street vendors with fresh clams/oysters and those little shops with the pastellios that were so good but you weren't quite sure what was in them and didn't care.
Good grief,now I'm really hungry!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Guanica is another sugar town on the south side of the island, it's one of the towns closest to San German, just east of Lajas (where all the sugar cane was grown, my family used to own a very large plantation out there that my grandfather ran all his life). Much of the old sugar infrastructure is still there, but the town, having no more sugar exports, is fairly dead so you can find good properties at great prices, and I was looking *before* the bubble collapsed so I would imagine that now you can find properties for even better prices. Since it's rather far south of the main highway between San German and Ponce it would be a bit of a side trip, but it is beautiful down there.

My favorite is empanadillas. Last time I was on the island one of my cousins took me to a little shack on the outskirts of La Parguera and had me try empanadillas de chipin. OMFG!!! But then, of course, pastelillos! And how about some maduros to go on the side of everything? I can't have a meal without habichuelas con arroz, ya know?

I could go on, and on, and on and on. My grandmother wrote a cookbook, too. You might be able to find it somewhere, two versions, one Spanish and a very few English printings of Cocinando de San German. Last week I made her isla flotante de San German, with a twist. I don't think I used enough guava paste for the island, though, cuz next morning it was melted.

No movie reports this week! I did get to see Vikings and Shameless, though. Grandkiddies go home this afternoon, soon life will be back to normal.

DismalDude

DismalDude

Guanica is another sugar town on the south side of the island, it's one of the towns closest to San German, just east of Lajas (where all the sugar cane was grown, my family used to own a very large plantation out there that my grandfather ran all his life). Much of the old sugar infrastructure is still there, but the town, having no more sugar exports, is fairly dead so you can find good properties at great prices, and I was looking *before* the bubble collapsed so I would imagine that now you can find properties for even better prices. Since it's rather far south of the main highway between San German and Ponce it would be a bit of a side trip, but it is beautiful down there.

My favorite is empanadillas. Last time I was on the island one of my cousins took me to a little shack on the outskirts of La Parguera and had me try empanadillas de chipin. OMFG!!! But then, of course, pastelillos! And how about some maduros to go on the side of everything? I can't have a meal without habichuelas con arroz, ya know?

I could go on, and on, and on and on. My grandmother wrote a cookbook, too. You might be able to find it somewhere, two versions, one Spanish and a very few English printings of Cocinando de San German. Last week I made her isla flotante de San German, with a twist. I don't think I used enough guava paste for the island, though, cuz next morning it was melted.

No movie reports this week! I did get to see Vikings and Shameless, though. Grandkiddies go home this afternoon, soon life will be back to normal.
Really interesting read on the cookbook,I bet those recipes rock.I did find it and will probably get it.Some of the books depending on condition get pricey!Nice!
I found it for $70.I still haven't had a good rice and beans since PR,good but not the same.Plantains were like candy to me and it's been a long time.
San German will definitely have to be a stop,some geocaching to be done there!So awesome!

Movie this week:Invasion of the Body Snatchers(1978)
Still one of the best movies of all time!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
CLASSIC flick! Hubby and I did The Big Lebowski, but as usual, I fell asleep. Those kids kept us busy the entire time!

Really interesting read on the cookbook,I bet those recipes rock.I did find it and will probably get it.Some of the books depending on condition get pricey!Nice!
I found it for $70.I still haven't had a good rice and beans since PR,good but not the same.Plantains were like candy to me and it's been a long time.
San German will definitely have to be a stop,some geocaching to be done there!So awesome!
Holy crap! They sold for $10 apiece when Mamai and Yuyu were up and at 'em. I don't know if Yuyu is still alive. Let me know what recipe you try first! Double up on the cilantro for a good approximation of the flavor of culantro, and if at all possible be sure to use fresh oregano. I couldn't get any of her plants to grow for me out here, not the teeny tiny leaved oregano, not the witch's oregano, not the culantro, not the ajies dulces--none of it. If you're in a good location for acquiring or growing then you'll be cocinando que MAS autentico.

indicabush

indicabush

A Space Odyssey (2001), Clockwork Orange (1971)

So we have some Boricua's very, very cool and we are talking Puerto Rican Food...Yeah Baby...Raised in Manhattan, NY and I grew up on it.

Last nights dinner:

Arroz con Pollo
Tostones

Tonight's dinner:

Fricase de Pollo

Need to make some more Sofrito and Recaito later on.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ay carajo! Mi espanol no es bueno, y no se como hacer las letras de espanol en mi 'keyboard' (como se llama 'keyboard' en espanol? lo creo es 'keyboard' como 'sueter,' autowash, etc). Ah, estoy tratando y practicando, pero no es bueno.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Anoche, we watched Horns. As usual I fell asleep in the middle of the movie, but what I did see was a real trip, folding fantasy and surrealism into real life depictions.

indicabush

indicabush

Ay carajo! Mi espanol no es bueno, y no se como hacer las letras de espanol en mi 'keyboard' (como se llama 'keyboard' en espanol? lo creo es 'keyboard' como 'sueter,' autowash, etc). Ah, estoy tratando y practicando, pero no es bueno.

teclado ... práctica conmigo si le gustara.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I just saw it come up on the Directv listings, gonna DVR that baby for sure.
teclado ... práctica conmigo si le gustara.
Ok, yo practicando contigo. Pero, no tengo muchas palabras.

Yesterday, because we got the pond started in time to catch some rain, and I was flicking through channels as I am wont to do I ended up watching The Guard again. OMFG! This movie is HILARIOUS!!!! Makes me wanna visit the Emerald Isle.

indicabush

indicabush

I just saw it come up on the Directv listings, gonna DVR that baby for sure.
Ok, yo practicando contigo. Pero, no tengo muchas palabras.

Yesterday, because we got the pond started in time to catch some rain, and I was flicking through channels as I am wont to do I ended up watching The Guard again. OMFG! This movie is HILARIOUS!!!! Makes me wanna visit the Emerald Isle.

grande, sólo siempre que.

d0rk2dafullest

d0rk2dafullest

Son of Batman was good (Full Movie)

Really enjoyed this

I really like dc comics animations. LOVE EM.
another good one is Flashpoint Paradox
Batman Superman Public Enemies

there's a bunch of other ones too. you just gotta look around.
I really hope they make an Injustice Gods Among us animated version. So i dont have to play the game. haha.
i watched all the game's cutscenes and that was pretty much awesome.

Also went and watched Batman the animated series from back in the day. omg...it's still soooooo goood.

Latest posts

Top Bottom