Which Hps Bulb? Please Help

• Thread starter dan1989
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
sixstring

sixstring

I have had terrible luck with ushio 600w hps bulbs on multiple digital ballasts.i cant pin it on any one brand between nextgen,lunitec,phantom, and nanolux,the ushios always burned out at or before 6 months where the eye hort and digilux just get replaced because of age.first time it happened with like 3 of 8 bulbs burning out with a month of purchase,thosewere replaced for free but then 1 by 1 they all took a shit.maybe they dont like to be cooled is all i could figure,all were in cooltubes.

StandingRock

StandingRock

I'm thinking to use led for veg and HPS for flower. I bought all the stuff anyway so that's what I'm gonna be doing. Having used LEDS all the way through on a couple of grows I can see that even the cheaper units are at least worth using in the veg stage if bit even for the power savings. And the mystical short internode theory seems to have shown itself to me but the bud density and size was mediocre at best. In all for trying new technologies and I'm doing a lot of research on MH and COB LED systems. I'm a complete amateur at growing but it takes an idiot to not see with their own eyes in many friends grow tents that HPS is a foolproof way of getting good yields.

I thank you all for your suggestions, I now have to choose from about 6 or 7 brands :)
My LEDS keep my mothers going and sometimes starting my clones. I think they were great for that

sixstring

sixstring

I ♡ cobz :cool:
20170410 171634

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

In the past I started with MH and ended with HPS. Then I just ran the Eye Hortilux 1k bulbs all the way through but dialed down at the beginning. I've also tried the Ushio brand with equal success. I tested output regularly and never noticed a drop in output, even three years later.

Any thoughts on the idea you have to replace bulbs often to keep high output? I ran the hortilux and the Ushio side by side and neither seemed to drop in output?

It's been a few years for me so I like what someone pointed out above. Maybe check recent quality and see where they were made. If I'm not mistaken the Ushio are made in Germany.

Hortilux has said the spectrum degrades over time. I have no way but my eyes to check that but my plants lose vigor and quality and the bulbs look pinker to me about 10 months in on my 600 Super hps bulbs. My cheap light meter doesn't really change but slightly at that time. Not enough for me to trust the results.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have to admit I'm leaning towards these. Seems to be the popular choice. Friggin expensive but if it lasts a couple of grows then it is worth it.

I pay $65 us shipped for 600w HPS online. But Hortilux is based in the mid west United States so I hope you can find a good price. If not look into Phillips green power (I think that's their horticulture hps). May be more available over there and is another made for flowering bulb.

dan1989

dan1989

I pay $65 us shipped for 600w HPS online. But Hortilux is based in the mid west United States so I hope you can find a good price. If not look into Phillips green power (I think that's their horticulture hps). May be more available over there and is another made for flowering bulb.

Looking minimum £70 for the hortilux with £15 shipping so around $100...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Looking minimum £70 for the hortilux with £15 shipping so around $100...

Guess it's how bad you want to try one. I love them but I would search out options at least at $100.

I just paid $100 for the 600 w horti blue and I will be going back to the $65 Super hps as it seems to be a superior bulb for flowering for weight and density and leaf to bud ratio.

I have a 315 LEC for some more spectrum and a little uv also in there now. But I was happy and so were my patients when I used only the Super hps bulbs.

dan1989

dan1989

It doesn't seem cost effective to pay £260 shipping on a £90 bulb from the U.S.A. lol ok that's one of the more extreme examples. Phillips recommend not using the greenpower on digital ballast. I'm leaning towards DIGILUX at this stage, it seems to tick all the boxes...any thoughts?

mancdank

mancdank

It doesn't seem cost effective to pay £260 shipping on a £90 bulb from the U.S.A. lol ok that's one of the more extreme examples. Phillips recommend not using the greenpower on digital ballast. I'm leaning towards DIGILUX at this stage, it seems to tick all the boxes...any thoughts?
Mate if u want quality get a lumatek u will be able to get these at your local shop without any drama and if for any reason u need to return it its also only local not over seas shipping

mancdank

mancdank

You know what fuck it I've got a lumatek ballast and it screams quality straight out the box, I'll go with the lumatek bulb as well. At least I know it's compatible with my digital ballast. Ebay here we come!
When u get it hold it next to a standard 600w bulb u will see straight away where the little extra money has gone

Issack

Issack

There is a Chart on Google search. Shows all the top brands and their output. Hortilux wins by a mile. Ive been using them for years.

mancdank

mancdank

True but I can always buy a hortilux next time to compare :)
Bro u will be fine I've used this ballast a lamp many times and never hit less than 20 oz per light when the bulb arrives and u have it in your hand u will agree with what I've said

dan1989

dan1989

Lumatek bulb ordered. Thank you all for your support during this extremely difficult time. :D mods please delete the thread as you see fit, we're all done here...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom