White Widow SCROG

• Thread starter Cannaculture
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Greetings fellow Farmers!

I've been out of commision since the end of November but am mighty pleased to say i'm back up and growing again.

About this time last year I began my very first grow, had some success ( I managed to produce a usable product, albeit one of questionable quality) from which I was buoyed enough to try two further times, one indoors again and the second out.

My second indoor was much more successful. I used the same strain as i'm using this run, Dutch Passion's White Widow, and, whilst the results where much more pleasing, there were still issues I want to iron out this time around.

So, without further ado, here's what's going down this time.

Three seeds all popped in wet tissue and left in a warm, dark place.

Each have cracked, produced their taproot and are now firmly ensconced in seedling soil bathed in the clear glow of a 250W CFL.

I am happy to report that as of last night, all three have broken through the soil and are cheerily putting on growth with every inspection. I still can't help but be fascinated by nature and wonder of what this insignificant strand of plant will mature into and bear.

Anyway, to assist these ladies in their development they will be housed in a 1m sq. tent that stands 2m erect. Inside will reside my 400W HPS that will serve as my sun for the duration of the vegative stage as well as during flower.

In regards to feed, i'm looking to use as little as possible. It is my intention to use none during veg and very little in flower. What I do use will be one of the following, Canna Vega, Flores or Boost.

This grow I have built my own screen in order to SCROG. Never done this before but have seen other Farmer's efforts using this technique and just had to give it a go!

I decided upon using White Widow again for a few reasons. One, I didn't see it's full potential last round so want to learn the plant better and get it dialled in the best I can. Two, it grew fast! Really fast! So my thinking was I shouldn't have to wait too long in veg for it to fill my screen out. And three, whilst we now inhabit a world of infinite strains and the temptation to go out and get hold of the most exotic of these stupidly high, I felt being still new to the game to stick with some nice stable, proven genetics.

Perhaps my logic is flawed but to my novice mind it seems sound.

So, although I have not much in the way of visual offerings this update I hope some of you will get onboard and join me for what I hope to be my best grow yet.

In closing, I'd just like to say that I love this site as much as I do a plant called Cannabis and look forward to some interaction with some truly great Farmer minds.

G dutch passion white widow female sd 676

This what I'm working with and what I hope to greet me in about 3 months time!

Last edited:
dutch69lover

dutch69lover

You are wise to stick with the same strain for awhile. This gives you good experience plus it remains a constant variable in your garden leaving you to focus on other aspects such as getting your grow environment dialed in good. I would suggest though getting a 6 bulb t5 fluorescent light to veg under in grow spectr bulbs .... It will keep your ladies ft getting too stretchy

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

You are wise to stick with the same strain for awhile. This gives you good experience plus it remains a constant variable in your garden leaving you to focus on other aspects such as getting your grow environment dialed in good. I would suggest though getting a 6 bulb t5 fluorescent light to veg under in grow spectr bulbs .... It will keep your ladies ft getting too stretchy

Hi Dutch, thanks for you message. Glad to see my approach has some logic to it that others follow. Owing to my location it's difficult to talk about techniques with other people around me with any confidence.

Definitely looking into the t5's. I've seen them before and have had them on my want list for a while as they seem to give a nice even distribution of light.

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Not much to report.

I topped their soil up an inch or so to provide a bit more stability.

Here's their progress since being a seed on Friday - we're 6 days in.

IMG 20140122 202246

Tnelz

Tnelz

Greetings fellow Farmers!

I've been out of commision since the end of November but am mighty pleased to say i'm back up and growing again.

About this time last year I began my very first grow, had some success ( I managed to produce a usable product, albeit one of questionable quality) from which I was buoyed enough to try two further times, one indoors again and the second out.

My second indoor was much more successful. I used the same strain as i'm using this run, Dutch Passion's White Widow, and, whilst the results where much more pleasing, there were still issues I want to iron out this time around.

So, without further ado, here's what's going down this time.

Three seeds all popped in wet tissue and left in a warm, dark place.

Each have cracked, produced their taproot and are now firmly ensconced in seedling soil bathed in the clear glow of a 250W CFL.

I am happy to report that as of last night, all three have broken through the soil and are cheerily putting on growth with every inspection. I still can't help but be fascinated by nature and wonder of what this insignificant strand of plant will mature into and bear.

Anyway, to assist these ladies in their development they will be housed in a 1m sq. tent that stands 2m erect. Inside will reside my 400W HPS that will serve as my sun for the duration of the vegative stage as well as during flower.

In regards to feed, i'm looking to use as little as possible. It is my intention to use none during veg and very little in flower. What I do use will be one of the following, Canna Vega, Flores or Boost.

This grow I have built my own screen in order to SCROG. Never done this before but have seen other Farmer's efforts using this technique and just had to give it a go!

I decided upon using White Widow again for a few reasons. One, I didn't see it's full potential last round so want to learn the plant better and get it dialled in the best I can. Two, it grew fast! Really fast! So my thinking was I shouldn't have to wait too long in veg for it to fill my screen out. And three, whilst we now inhabit a world of infinite strains and the temptation to go out and get hold of the most exotic of these stupidly high, I felt being still new to the game to stick with some nice stable, proven genetics.

Perhaps my logic is flawed but to my novice mind it seems sound.

So, although I have not much in the way of visual offerings this update I hope some of you will get onboard and join me for what I hope to be my best grow yet.

In closing, I'd just like to say that I love this site as much as I do a plant called Cannabis and look forward to some interaction with some truly great Farmer minds.

View attachment 370969

This what I'm working with and what I hope to greet me in about 3 months time!
Looking good bro! And it seems as though u r dedicated which immediately earns my respect. Just curious what is your aversion to feeding? Unless you are using Super soil zero food will result in a problem filled grow. Just my opinion. White widow in my experience growing it. Once in soil send once in a Dwc took everything I could throw at it. I would label it a heavy feeder. Again just my experience. I wish you luck and I'm in for the ride!

Raregenetics

Raregenetics

I agree, i also believe widow is a heavy feeder, id fat them bitches up, best of luck to you

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Looking good bro! And it seems as though u r dedicated which immediately earns my respect. Just curious what is your aversion to feeding? Unless you are using Super soil zero food will result in a problem filled grow. Just my opinion. White widow in my experience growing it. Once in soil send once in a Dwc took everything I could throw at it. I would label it a heavy feeder. Again just my experience. I wish you luck and I'm in for the ride!

I agree, i also believe widow is a heavy feeder, id fat them bitches up, best of luck to you

Thank you Tnelz and Raregenetics, really appreciate you looking in! I hoped someone would pop up that had grown this before and already i've met two.

I probably didn't illustrate my thoughts clear enough in my intital post as to feeding as it isn't that I have an aversion to it, more that i'm always sensitive to over doing it. Therefore, I tend to use as little as possible, probably only ever feeding them at full dose every maybe 1 in 5. As a rule I go at 1/4 or 1/2 doses with plain water interspersing feeds.

It's really interesting to learn you both find her hungry, as I said, i'm causious about over feeding so never pushed her to see any limits with my furst run. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of EC levels did you find they would tolerate?

Also, the sheer wealth of nutrient products available is just staggering. I mean, I read websites and opinions till my eyes hurt and I really don't know what's for the best. In the end though I thought I'm just going to keep it easy and picked one food for veg, and one for flower. Hence the Canna Vega and Flores.

My one forray into additional nutes was to purchase a small bottle of Canna Boost which I used on my last run.

As I had no issues with the plants at all defficiency wise I supposed using the same regime wouldn't hurt. Only this time I guess I should increase things.

Thanks again and I appreciate the help.

dutch69lover

dutch69lover

Start slow with your feeding you can always up it a little and see how they act. I tend to feed twice and the third time is straight water so feed feed water is my schedule in soil if I'm using bottled stuff. I find this helps keep over feeding in check.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Thank you Tnelz and Raregenetics, really appreciate you looking in! I hoped someone would pop up that had grown this before and already i've met two.

I probably didn't illustrate my thoughts clear enough in my intital post as to feeding as it isn't that I have an aversion to it, more that i'm always sensitive to over doing it. Therefore, I tend to use as little as possible, probably only ever feeding them at full dose every maybe 1 in 5. As a rule I go at 1/4 or 1/2 doses with plain water interspersing feeds.

It's really interesting to learn you both find her hungry, as I said, i'm causious about over feeding so never pushed her to see any limits with my furst run. If you don't mind me asking, what sort of EC levels did you find they would tolerate?

Also, the sheer wealth of nutrient products available is just staggering. I mean, I read websites and opinions till my eyes hurt and I really don't know what's for the best. In the end though I thought I'm just going to keep it easy and picked one food for veg, and one for flower. Hence the Canna Vega and Flores.

My one forray into additional nutes was to purchase a small bottle of Canna Boost which I used on my last run.

As I had no issues with the plants at all defficiency wise I supposed using the same regime wouldn't hurt. Only this time I guess I should increase things.

I think being cautious is the correct action even with a heavy feeder. I too start low usually about a quarter. Usually end up at 3/4 to full strength by the middle of bloom. To be honest I don't bother with ec or ppm anymore. Like I said start on the low side and work ur way up. I think you are experienced enough to just let ur plant tell you what she needs. Also don't want you to think I'm suggesting pounding them with nutrients. You have the right idea. I find that white widow is an easy grow. She isn't picky and can take some abuse. So feed as you feel comfortable. If you want to c how far she can go keep jumping up a ml or two a week until u see just a touch of burn on the leaf edge then back off a ml or two! Here If u need me!

Tnelz

Tnelz

Didn't say this before but as for wealth of nutes there is no right or wrong choice. Go with what works and what u r comfortable using. I've never used canna but I've never heard anything bad about it so my thoughts are stick with it!

Tnelz

Tnelz

Also I want to say ur passion seems to be high! I have so much respect for that. I guarantee you this turn out awesome judging by ur passion alone.

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

hey bro just pullin up a seat for the show!....lookin well...keep it green GB

Thanks GB. After seeing your diary though I fear my efforts might be a little underwhelming!

Right on Canna.. Good to see ya back around .. Its going to be a good grow bro.. Best always DP..

It's nice to be back Don, a little older and wiser this time I hope! Thank you for stopping in and saying hello, hope all is well upon your farm.

Also I want to say ur passion seems to be high! I have so much respect for that. I guarantee you this turn out awesome judging by ur passion alone.

Wow, thanks Tnelz! What a gent. I do strive to be a good farmer. To be honest, this site inspires a lot of my passion. Seriously, being able interact with people who grow the sorts of plants you see on here is fantastic. I've seen flowers of a quality I never dreamed existed.

I want to be that good, so I thought I'd surround myself with my betters, it's the only way to improve at anything. Same as I always like to play golf against a lower handicap player. That way if I beat or come equal to him, i've bettered myself.

Also, thanks for the tips on the nutrients. Quite reassuring to know that i'm doing the correct thing as it allows me to concentrate slightly more on getting my environment more stable.

Much respect my good man!

Tnelz

Tnelz

Thanks GB. After seeing your diary though I fear my efforts might be a little underwhelming!

It's nice to be back Don, a little older and wiser this time I hope! Thank you for stopping in and saying hello, hope all is well upon your farm.

Wow, thanks Tnelz! What a gent. I do strive to be a good farmer. To be honest, this site inspires a lot of my passion. Seriously, being able interact with people who grow the sorts of plants you see on here is fantastic. I've seen flowers of a quality I never dreamed existed.

I want to be that good, so I thought I'd surround myself with my betters, it's the only way to improve at anything. Same as I always like to play golf against a lower handicap player. That way if I beat or come equal to him, i've bettered myself.

Also, thanks for the tips on the nutrients. Quite reassuring to know that i'm doing the correct thing as it allows me to concentrate slightly more on getting my environment more stable.

Much respect my good man!
Thanks bro. That's what it's all about. Same reason I'm on here. Seeing we have to keep what we do on the low it's fantastic to have a place u can be open. As for learning this is the place! Awesome awesome Growers on here and most not only willing to share but are interested in sharing. Lucky to have such a place! I am forever striving to get my environment perfect. At the end of the day it's the most important thing besides maybe genetics. Good luck to u bro! In the end practice makes perfect!

Cannaculture

Cannaculture

Thanks bro. That's what it's all about. Same reason I'm on here. Seeing we have to keep what we do on the low it's fantastic to have a place u can be open. As for learning this is the place! Awesome awesome Growers on here and most not only willing to share but are interested in sharing. Lucky to have such a place! I am forever striving to get my environment perfect. At the end of the day it's the most important thing besides maybe genetics. Good luck to u bro! In the end practice makes perfect!

I echo every sentiment!

All the best with you too - do you have a diary or log going of something you're working on?

Tnelz

Tnelz

I echo every sentiment!

All the best with you too - do you have a diary or log going of something you're working on?
First and foremost thanks. It's really what makes this forum different. It's really for the most part a bunch of like minded people. And to answer your question I have a few threads but not an entire log or diary. However I do plan on one soon.

Latest posts

Top Bottom