Who is the go to LED guy?

• Thread starter SkunkyDunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
What kind of heights distances (veg and flower) have been working for you with the light panels?

I'm still learning! I tried them at full power 18" and they burned the old growth from under T5's to a crisp. I have them in veg at about 25" now and turned down about 20% and seems to be better.
Honestly though, I don't know yet.
I would imagine if they were seedlings they would need to be 36" high at least.

We need an expert opinion!
Mr Juji or Buzz?

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I'm still learning! I tried them at full power 18" (++ depending on plant)and they burned the old growth from under T5's to a crisp. I have them in veg at about 25" now and turned down about 20% and seems to be better.
Honestly though, I don't know yet.
I would imagine if they were seedlings they would need to be 36" high at least.

We need an expert opinion!
Mr Juji or Buzz?
I'm no expert and I only have my Kingbrites in the flower tent. I run mine at about 18" at about 80%. I don't think that Jutisu's custom fixture uses Kingbrites, but I may be wrong. They do want to be higher above the canopy then my own HLGs (288 , 132s) and Photon Sun Boards.
Caveat: There is also a 175 watt brute Burple in the same tent..It is a real BRUTE for 175 watts. (Unitfarm UFO80 that was free for testing it)

I like to lower them until I see a slight upwards curl in the leaves (light stress) and then raise them back up a bit.

8 27 19

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

They look great Buzz, the leaves look perfect too!
Is 80% what prefer over full power or is it due to the size of your tent?
TY..
I go just by the seat of my pants. Currently I have plants that stretched pretty high and my hangers are at the top (they can always be shortened), so I have the power set even lower with this group. The tent is a 3x3x6 and I rock 4 plants in it. If needed, one can always add a kill-a-watt meter to adjust by amperage etc. I have only one of those and it is use in another area.

basscaptain

basscaptain

my exp is in a 3x3x6 tent also.........

for veg I had my light's hanging down at 4 ft...... To Start
@ 60 %
so they were about 20-24"s away from the light

I'm running 1 240w on Reno's lane at 50% WITH THE ADDED bLUE 50W now cause it was hotter with the blue....... but those lights are just 18"s off the plants and I'll be moving them that area is good for the cups but When I got to gals pots and up that light needs moved up........

I did find my plants liked the lights running about 65% at 2 ft though veg the best........................................................

basscaptain

basscaptain

if I was to run in these tents.......

the only change I would make on the light's is to start I would have them hunging down from the top with the 6"s on the yo/yo's and the 4 wires full

in flower the yo/yo's are all the way up and I removed 2 of the long wires and used just 2 and pulled 1 though so I got 2 more :s....... my light was as close to the top as I could get...... with everything else added

I hope this makes since.... If not go look at my post alll the way though you can see it in my pics 🤪 🧐 😙😊

basscaptain

basscaptain

This area is getting set up to run veg and flower in that Long Pot... but right now I'm running around 28/30 inches so I have it turned up some....but not much....

Yesterday they were fine now I need to move them... I just turned down the light till I can move things today....

But you can see the little guy likes it at 20 inches

The one's at 14 inches don't like it at all.......

basscaptain

basscaptain

They look great Buzz, the leaves look perfect too!
Is 80% what you prefer over full power or is it due to the size of your tent?
If I was you... and this is just my 2 cents here... I would run those lights around 75% 30- 35 inch off and let those veg to the light then move the light up since you can do that... in a tent I would just hang them on the ceiling and use something to raise the plant .... but your diff.......

so when those hit about 24- 26 inchs from the light move it up a ft...... or whatever you want..... just run those yo yo down as far as they will go and go from there.....

if your off the plants 3-4ft you maybe able to run 100%

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I don't have one, nor do I plan on getting one..

I have one. It didn't cost me much. There's also a lux meter app for android phones. It's nice to have but not really required.

I appreciate everyone who responded to my question about light distance during veg and flower. It's useful information. Thanks you guys!

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I have one. It didn't cost me much. There's also a lux meter app for android phones. It's nice to have but not really required.

I appreciate everyone who responded to my question about light distance during veg and flower. It's useful information. Thanks you guys!
Unfortunately Lux meters don't work with LED's. (I have one on my android ohone too)
You would need a par meter and a decent one is not cheap!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Unfortunately Lux meters don't work with LED's. (I have one on my android ohone too)
You would need a par meter and a decent one is not cheap!

Lux meters react to white light very well regardless of it's source. A lux meter will not accurately measure full spectrum grow chips. They don't measure the high and low end of the spectrum accurately at all.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Lux meters react to white light very well regardless of it's source. A lux meter will not accurately measure full spectrum grow chips. They don't measure the high and low end of the spectrum accurately at all.
This might be interesting..After a short while, they are unneeded imo. but each to their own.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

This is a good explanation imo

When I bought mine, I thought it would accurately measure all form of light. I found out the hard way that you're not wrong about what a lux meter will measure. I'm a builder type of guy though. I build industrial machines for a living, and frequently find myself building prototypes. I've built several LED lights and the lux meter is useful in that sense. However, since I have yet to cross the threshold of being an LED grower, all my experience to point is in putting things together.

My seedling mat arrived today. I will be several states away for the weekend. However, I think I will finally be ready to start my grow when I get back even though I am still waiting for 1 more pump to arrive. I bought an ebb and flow bucket unit. It was pretty expensive. It arrived and I didn't like it's quality .... so I upgraded it with pvc pipe, actually bulkhead fittings, and inline pumps. The last pump is still to arrive.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

When I bought mine, I thought it would accurately measure all form of light. I found out the hard way that you're not wrong about what a lux meter will measure. I'm a builder type of guy though. I build industrial machines for a living, and frequently find myself building prototypes. I've build several LED lights and the lux meter is useful in that sense. However, since I have yet to cross the threshold of being an LED grower, all my experience to point is in putting things together.

My seedling mat arrived today. I will be several states away for the weekend. However, I think I will finally be ready to start my grow when I get back even though I am still waiting for 1 more pump to arrive. I bought an ebb and flow bucket unit. It was pretty expensive. It arrived and I didn't like it's quality .... so I upgraded it with pvc pipe, actually bulkhead fittings, and inline pumps. The last pump is still to arrive.
Coincidence..A replacement heat mat and thermostat arrived here today..for the one that fried after 3 yrs of good service. $28 for the mat on Fleabay is not a bad price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom