Who is the go to LED guy?

• Thread starter SkunkyDunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Ok, here is a LED specific question.
Most LED grows I see are tent/cabinet grows.
I've always thought this light source was better suited to the tent design, close walls/reflective area.
My room is, well a room. No close reflective surfaces around the canopy. Remember, I'm coming from a HID background.
So, my question is this.
Would it be advantageous for me the slightly can't my panels inward say 5 to 8 degrees? And spread them apart 4 or 5 inches?
Does that make sense?
HID's work off of reflective light as well as direct where the LED is more of a direct light source, or am I missing it?
Thanks for your thoughts or if you have tried anything similar.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Ok, here is a LED specific question.
Most LED grows I see are tent/cabinet grows.
I've always thought this light source was better suited to the tent design, close walls/reflective area.
My room is, well a room. No close reflective surfaces around the canopy. Remember, I'm coming from a HID background.
So, my question is this.
Would it be advantageous for me the slightly can't my panels inward say 5 to 8 degrees? And spread them apart 4 or 5 inches?
Does that make sense?
HID's work off of reflective light as well as direct where the LED is more of a direct light source, or am I missing it?
Thanks for your thoughts or if you have tried anything similar.

I don't think you're missing anything. HID bulbs put off light in all directions while the LED is surface mounted and much more focused lighting, emitting light at usually about 120 degrees. I have 2 2700k 150w spotlights (18000 lumens each) mounted on each end of my quantum boards. I have them pointing at about 15 degrees.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I think we're onto something.
Are you in a tent?
Not necessarily more light, just better distribution.

Yes, I have a 5 x 5 tent. I also have a 4 x 5 two room tent that I am still setting up.

If you are interested in reflective walls/curtains, Mylar safety blankets work fairly well.

That's why I added the spot lights. Better distribution. I also got them in 2700k to add more red since those won't be on until flowering.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I think we're onto something.
Are you in a tent?
Not necessarily more light, just better distribution.

This is exactly what timber lighting said. Boards are best for small grows and tents and cobs (they dropped selling boards) are a direct upgrade to hid in rooms.

I would think some smaller boards as side lighting would max out the plants in your room. Or if you want to get fancy and modern uv plus t-5 4’ tubes around the perimeter. Or even just regular 6500 t-5’s. Also could get daylight ge which are 4000k.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Here is an interesting video i found on a discussion in another forum.

It shows an average of 5% loss of par output in the first year of led use. The tester recommends replacement after 4 years and 20% loss. That is much sooner than these companies claim.

The hlg board degraded 7% but was running at a higher temp than the cobs and pucks tested. Heat is directly related to light output life.

Also interesting was how low the Mars cob was for efficiency compared to all 3 other lights. But we have a thread to deny that paid for here already. ;-)

GreenGrower5

GreenGrower5

I have a bit of experience, what you want to do dude

View attachment 922290
What are the red strips between the quantum boards? Have been reading your post and looking at the pics you post and want to make smaller scaled down version of what you have in a 3X3 area. Thinking about running two quantum boards and extra red, far red and uv in my bloom area. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

What are the red strips between the quantum boards? Have been reading your post and looking at the pics you post and want to make smaller scaled down version of what you have in a 3X3 area. Thinking about running two quantum boards and extra red, far red and uv in my bloom area. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

Those are @Mr.jiujitsu far red strips, if I am not mistaken

You can add this too (one is good for a 3x3 area. The plants only have to "see" the red for ot to be effective.
Strips are available on Ebay USA
https://www.amazon.com/Far-Red-LED-Initiator-Puck/dp/B073X5XSKB

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

Here is an interesting video i found on a discussion in another forum.

It shows an average of 5% loss of par output in the first year of led use. The tester recommends replacement after 4 years and 20% loss. That is much sooner than these companies claim.

The hlg board degraded 7% but was running at a higher temp than the cobs and pucks tested. Heat is directly related to light output life.

Also interesting was how low the Mars cob was for efficiency compared to all 3 other lights. But we have a thread to deny that paid for here already. ;-)

Interestingly why did he have a glass shield over only the hlg? Every 4 years..... hmmmm idk would like to see what he says about the 132 since I run them lower power/temp.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Interestingly why did he have a glass shield over only the hlg? Every 4 years..... hmmmm idk would like to see what he says about the 132 since I run them lower power/temp.

Obviously we would have to wait 4 years to see if they really degrade 20% and he did say less heat is less degradation so you must be right and will have longer life with lower power.

These are the kinds of things i was waiting for before i invest in led lights.

It does seem exagerated to deduce 5% degradation per year though. Is it really linear?

By the way i didnt notice the glass. I have no answer. :-)

BigCube

BigCube

Seems glass would retain heat.

It would retain heat a but, it also filters out a few % of the light. He says he uses it to protect the LEDs. Not sure what he's doing that they need protection, but that's his reason anyway.

In 3 or 4 years, you can expect a 10 to 15% loss in light, you can just move the light 10 to 15% closer or buy new boards at like $30 each.

Personally I'd just move them closer for a while, then get new ones and use the old ones for veg. But that's assuming there isnt something even better by then.

Welight

Welight

Yes, I have a 5 x 5 tent. I also have a 4 x 5 two room tent that I am still setting up.

If you are interested in reflective walls/curtains, Mylar safety blankets work fairly well.

That's why I added the spot lights. Better distribution. I also got them in 2700k to add more red since those won't be on until flowering.
distribution is better suited to strip builds, 2ft strips work nicely in a 5x5 when you spread them
5x5compare

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Im so pleased with my 4 panels im purchasing 2 more, 3500k this time but still with 660nm, UV and IR.
I'll be running them in a 4x6 tent for veg.
Ordered my first ones in December and am now in 3rd week of flower and have yet to see one negative!

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
2- QB288 qb301h w red 660nm + UV +IR for $321.00 shipped.
Kingbrite is still giving 10 day delivery window, same as in December.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

2- QB288 qb301h w red 660nm + UV +IR for $321.00 shipped.
Kingbrite is still giving 10 day delivery window, same as in December.

Mine says 8 day delivery. However, they were shipped out Friday morning and have already cleared customs. There is a chance they may arrive before the 8th day of shipping. 4 - QB288 LM301H 3000k + 660nm + ir + uv.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
Mine says 8 day delivery. However, they were shipped out Friday morning and have already cleared customs. There is a chance they may arrive before the 8th day of shipping. 4 - QB288 LM301H 3000k + 660nm + ir + uv.

Those are the same as I'm running, and yeah mine arrived in 9 days but I ordered them on a Thursday.
I believe you'll be pleased.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Those are the same as I'm running, and yeah mine arrived in 9 days but I ordered them on a Thursday.
I believe you'll be pleased.
I've been pleased with my 2 3500k white light boards I bought in January so I'm sure you're right about the new ones. I'm anxious for these to arrive. lol

Last edited:
Moshmen

Moshmen

Mine shipped last Friday as well , haven’t hit customs yet but estimated delivery is Friday the 10th , $316 for 2-QB288 LM301h + 660 no+ Ir + uv

Top Bottom