Who is the go to LED guy?

• Thread starter SkunkyDunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
basscaptain

basscaptain

Chinese factories have no laws about counterfeiting. They will absolutely use fake parts with brand labels to meet price points.

They always have. Look at the fake gibson and fender guitars they churn out by the 1000ā€™s.

Not saying the lights dont work but we will see for how long. And are the diodes and drivers what they are labeled?

One truth in my opinion is you get what you pay for.

None of the lamps any of the posters got on alibaba are old enough or even properly tested for the owner to give a recomendation to spend money on one.

The forums are the worst place to trust info so much confirmation bias in place of actual info needed.

Bunch of parrots in forums. Read around. All kinds of weird failures and bad drivers on the chinese kits.

Failures on hlg too but part or lamp replaced in every case i read. Good luck with the shenzen factory. Lots of sales reps but only issues with replacement stories out there. And the usa companies are way way overpriced.

I think growers should boycott the led grow light industry demanding reasonable pricing for a sheet or strip of little low power plastic lights and a computer driver. But thats another topic.

Sorry rant over. But you keep buying lamps and dont even know if they will work for months yet. How bout years? They better or hid was a much better value.

You really only know about their shipping at this point.
I understand where your coming from also... But the stuff I got from usa supply is all ready not working LOL in Hrs.. so whats up with that....
I could buy some old lights that use more power... but when I look at the cost 130.00 and they need/wanted 70.00 to ship it to me that doesn't sit well with me either...Lmfao... n I could drive there for 20 in gas and a few hrs...It's a JOKE...

so we will have to agree to disagree on this sir....

have a Great Day...

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I understand where your coming from also... But the stuff I got from usa supply is all ready not working LOL in Hrs.. so whats up with that....
I could buy some old lights that use more power... but when I look at the cost 130.00 and they need/wanted 70.00 to ship it to me that doesn't sit well with me either...Lmfao... n I could drive there for 20 in gas and a few hrs...It's a JOKE...

so we will have to agree to disagree on this sir....

have a Great Day...

Fair enough. Just wanted to put down some facts and some opinion. I dont think a serious grower should make a decision based on what i read here is the main point.

And who is usa supply? And what makes you think they dont use a cheap build from the same chinese factory. They build to suit and to a price point for anyone.

basscaptain

basscaptain

I got theses from a USA base supply company....

Ends coming off... lights not working and etc....

Sry for my rant...

This isn't about this....

I'll Deal With Aliblia is all I'm saying. šŸ˜‡šŸ¤“šŸ˜Ž

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I got theses from a USA base supply company....

Ends coming off... lights not working and etc....

Sry for my rant...

This isn't about this....

I'll Deal With Aliblia is all I'm saying. šŸ˜‡šŸ¤“šŸ˜Ž

Well what company? Shouldnt we be warned?

basscaptain

basscaptain

Well what company? Shouldnt we be warned?
I won't do that cause he is replaceing and is on top of it.....
they didn't make it, there a middle man..............
there wil;l all ways be Bad runs of things I just got a few ........

No diff the the man working on your car and is just getting Bad Parts..... Not his Fault he is doing his job/end.......

and I'll buy more form them also, Cause I need my red ...... But I'm done trying to build stuff it's not cost wise worth it.......

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Fair enough. Just wanted to put down some facts and some opinion. I dont think a serious grower should make a decision based on what i read here is the main point.

And who is usa supply? And what makes you think they dont use a cheap build from the same chinese factory. They build to suit and to a price point for anyone.

I'd be curious to see if there were any LED companies that aren't using parts and labor from Shenzhen. Samsung makes most of the chips (four factories in S. Korea, two in China but not in Shenzhen, and one in Austin, TX).

Meanwell makes the drivers and is based out of Taiwan, which has a better labor record than China, but has a factory in Shenzhen.

Shenzhen, for those of you that aren't aware, is a "Special Economic Zone" in China. In short, 1980 the CCP decided to turn it from a fishing village to a manufacturing hub, and now it's where a lot of the latest tech things are designed and produced. What this means technically is that, among other things, companies have the ability to conduct business differently than in other cities in China. Superficially, this has led to explosive growth in Shenzhen, both financially and in terms of infrastructure.

What few people are talking about are the many, many (links) human rights violations that have been and still are reported in Shenzhen.

Essentially, much like Hong Kong has devolved to, Shenzhen is a police state where human rights violations are swept under the rug for corporations' bottom lines and the interests of "the party." Essentially a microcosm of the rest of China.

Not that I'm any morally superior in terms of light sourcing than anyone else, but I'd be interested to see if there were any companies that didn't essentially utilize slave labor and kidnapping in building their products.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'd be curious to see if there were any LED companies that aren't using parts and labor from Shenzhen. Samsung makes most of the chips (four factories in S. Korea, two in China but not in Shenzhen, and one in Austin, TX).

Meanwell makes the drivers and is based out of Taiwan, which has a better labor record than China, but has a factory in Shenzhen.

Shenzhen, for those of you that aren't aware, is a "Special Economic Zone" in China. In short, 1980 the CCP decided to turn it from a fishing village to a manufacturing hub, and now it's where a lot of the latest tech things are designed and produced. What this means technically is that, among other things, companies have the ability to conduct business differently than in other cities in China. Superficially, this has led to explosive growth in Shenzhen, both financially and in terms of infrastructure.

What few people are talking about are the many, many (links) human rights violations that have been and still are reported in Shenzhen.

Essentially, much like Hong Kong has devolved to, Shenzhen is a police state where human rights violations are swept under the rug for corporations' bottom lines and the interests of "the party." Essentially a microcosm of the rest of China.

Not that I'm any morally superior in terms of light sourcing than anyone else, but I'd be interested to see if there were any companies that didn't essentially utilize slave labor and kidnapping in building their products.

Excellent info and you are right. More should know about the horrifying atrocities being conducted against the long lived residents of the area.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Problem is that MAYBE it could have been stopped.....TWENTY-FIVE YEARS AGO!
Today with multi national companys...no way to stop something like that. I think that there were threats a while back towards US companys doing business in China..but have heard nothing since Uncle Tim Cook visited the WH!
Mean time..back to lighting..LOL

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

I mean, the principle of retroactive Schroedinger's cat applies here, right? So if you didn't know that buying that laptop had those effects then, then it's a logical fallacy to hold yourself responsible now. But it gets a lot harder to buy Apple stuff. šŸ˜„
The last Apple anything I had/have is a 2011 Imac. (TBH..the reasons are not so much humanitarian, but personal preference.....wanted out of their echo-sphere.)
Unfortunately, into the jaws of death I went with a Samsung Galaxy(s) after the Apple 5s (my very last Iphone)
The Imac is left over from when I had a consulting customer that had Apples in his small office. I still use it for anything important, but it is not allowed on the net....Information stays secure that way.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

The last Apple anything I had/have is a 2011 Imac. (TBH..the reasons are not so much humanitarian, but personal preference.....wanted out of their echo-sphere.)
Unfortunately, into the jaws of death I went with a Samsung Galaxy(s) after the Apple 5s (my very last Iphone)
The Imac is left over from when I had a consulting customer that had Apples in his small office. I still use it for anything important, but it is not allowed on the net....Information stays secure that way.

Very smart. I used to run a dedicated offline laptop too, just don't have the need for it as much anymore. Getting used business computers for dirt cheap is wonderful. I'm actually planning on putting up a network of old laptops plugged into 1080p usb cameras and old cell phones for surveillance. There are so many ways to reuse that stuff...

I've had a preference to not use Apple's products for a while. I'm a tinkerer, I like to build, maintain, and upgrade my own machines (and, like, everything else) when possible. Apple has had a tendency to make that difficult. Same reason I'd never buy a John Deere tractor given the need.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I built a custom unit for my 2x4 using HLG 132 boards in the 4K spectrum. I use a Meanwell driver and the unit runs from 8 watts to 240 watts from the wall. I have really been liking the results I am getting from this light. I am sure I could get a bit more yield if I upped my wattage, but I am still hitting right around 1 gram per watt of high quality Cannabis.

20191218 1347311
20190413 1846371

Latest posts

Top Bottom