Who Really Owns Cannabis Genetics?

• Thread starter dash riprock
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
epitome

epitome

Thank you.

Dear Friends of the THC Farmer community.

I am the chairman/founder (Dominique Guillet) of Association Kokopelli in France and we have been promoting the protection of food biodiversity for the past 23 years. We have a collection of more than 2000 Heirlooms or Open Pollinated varieties of vegetables, grains... All our seeds are organic. We have also been, for the past 10 years, in the Courts of Injustice, up to the Supreme Court in France and up to the European Court of Justice in Luxembourg... to defend ourselves against the attacks of the seed multinational corporations which wanted to destroy our non profit organization. In Europe, and mainly in France, you can not sell a vegetable or grain variety which is not registered on one, at least, of the National Catalogues of the European countries. A huge part of our collection of seeds is, thus, strictly illegal in regards to the French Law. Although we lost in most of our court trials, we keep up the good illegal work! Our seeds are sold in Europe and given for free to poor rural communities of Third World countries.

In line with our life-missions to promote Fertility, to struggle against the seed captive market (hybrids F1 and genetic chimeras) and to struggle against the confiscation of Life, I decided to open, last month, a new website, Xochipelli.fr.

The self-declared and transparent goals of my new website are first to cast light on the taboo/malediction/prohibition placed on all visionary substances - called Serotonergic Neurognostics by the author and master herbalist Stephen Harrod Buhner - offered to us by Mother Nature (plants, mushrooms, etc) and secondly to struggle against the confiscation of all these substances by the Corporate Pharmacocracy.

My four first and very long articles are related to the confiscation of cannabis by the pharmaceutical companies. My second article is related to Bedrocan in Holland and in Canada. I am in the process of having them rapidly translated into English. My very long article titled "HortaPharm et GW Pharm: les Monsanto du Cannabis" covers the last 30 years of psychopathic behaviors stemming from David Watson and his group in Holland - from 1985 to 2015. In these 2 articles covering HortaPharm, GW Pharm and Bedrocan, I am highlighting the fact that these 3 companies have enjoyed a protection/collusion at the highest levels of the State Administrations of Holland and England - and by extension, of Europe.

My last piece, posted today, is asking precise question from the INRA station, of Rennes in Brittany, as to their involvement - through Hayo van der Waerf - with the David Watson/International Hemp Association. INRA, the French National Institute for Agronomical Research is funded by public money. The French control most of the Hemp sector in Europe and the French so-called certified varieties of hemp are sold abroad - for example in Canada since 1998. The INRA has been keen, for the last 20 years, to destroy all the good open-pollinated and dioecious heirloom varieties of hemp to replace them by monoecious varieties which are bound to induce, very quickly, a tremendous genetic bottleneck. It is totally forbidden for the French farmers to reproduce their own seeds of hemp and they must buy certified seeds every year from strictly state-controlled seed companies. A typical captive seed market.

While writing this last article, I finally discovered that David Watson and the International Hemp Association have a double web-site: one with a white background (internationalhempassociation.org) and one with a green background (hempworl.com). The green one, when you know where to look is a cover for hemp business, expensive cannabis paraphernalia and the Nirvana seed bank. The root page of the second green one is black and presents 400 internet domain names (including key words: hemp, pot, canamo, etc) available for leasing at the outrageous price of 1200 dollars per year and after 15 seconds, this page turns itself into a commercial website of hemp and cannabis paraphernalia with a Facebook symbol at the bottom of the page linking to the Facebook page of Weedportal.com offering all Nirvana products.

I recently discovered, also, that Phylos Biosciences in Oregon - which is starring Robert Connel Clarke and which is promoted by David Watson - is very likely a sub-unity of the Craig Venter Institute as 3 of his people are on board, through Synthetic Genomic Inc. How come the Craig Venter Institute is jumping into the Cannabis "Melting Pot"??

If the THC Farmer Community deems it a sensitive issue and important topic for the Future of the Tribes, I would like to start, on this forum, a new conversation on the topic of the confiscation - or the many attempts of - of the cannabis/hemp genetic resources.

Peace. Xochi.
@Xochipelli please tell me what you think of bright green group of companies...it is a project for the ACOMA pueblo indians and is the only BIG PHARMA I have found with a philanthropic approach / aspect brightgreengroup[d0tc0m]

epitome

epitome

Screenshot 2016 12 05 11 50 28
I think it is important to also point out that a small company called BioAg ( http://www.bioag.com/ ) that produces Humic acid in Oregon I believe is a victim of Monsanto trademark infringement as well. I forgot to mention that in one of the posts I made about Bio-Ag (AKA Monsanto)

http://naturalsociety.com/monsanto-swipes-trademarked-name-chemical-agricultural-agenda/
ABA journal is where I'm looking for current cases and something tells me there is or will be related articles aswell...eye of the shitstorm folks.

I guess I might have to stop refilling my oil cartridges soon and ofcourse....ah shit never mind, what's the point, smh

Last edited:
epitome

epitome

bluntmassa

bluntmassa

Turns out that the whole DNA mapping is not for us it is for law enforcement.

By Scott BeaulieuWEST HAVEN, CONN. ā€” A University of New Haven forensic scientist is setting up a national databank for marijuana DNA that will permit law enforcement to track where the drug originated when an arrest is made.Heather Miller Coyle, an associate professor in the Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences, is a forensic botanist. She also has developed a new method for collecting the marijuanaā€™s genetic fingerprint that makes it easy for law enforcement on the scene of a case to collect the samples.The DNA mapping initiative will allow law enforcement personnel for the first time to track where marijuana came from and link it to criminal organizations such as drug trafficking organizations in Mexico, growers in Canada or gangs in the United States.The database would be similar to the one run by the FBI for humans. That database, called CODIS, or Combined DNA Index System, allows law enforcement to collect samples from a crime scene and evaluate the DNA profile against a computerized database of samples to assist in the identification of suspects in a crime.ā€Such a databank and signature mark would be a welcome tool for police and law enforcement agencies,ā€ said Frank Limon, New Haven chief of police. ā€œItā€™s probable, in some cases, that conspirators of the overall operation may escape investigation and prosecution. The link between production and distribution would aid us in establishing conspiracy cases against the whole operation ā€“ not just the dealers and buyers. This would effectively connect the dots to street level narcotics distribution.ā€The marijuana database Coyle is developing would give police an investigative lead to trace the origin of the marijuana and help lead to the human sources for its distribution.ā€Plant DNA is like the DNA found in humans ā€“ it retains its lifelong genetic profile,ā€ says Coyle, whose work on the project included UNH students Lindsay Allgeier, Jennifer Nabozny, and Nicholas Shirley, among others.Matching DNA to plants grown on public lands in California, for example, could demonstrate that the crop was planted by people with ties to specific drug organizations . ā€œIf one person has a suitcase of marijuana and another person has bags of it, we will be able to tell if it came from the same batch.ā€Although DNA typing has been used for crops in the United Sates, its collection has been done in a science lab rather than in the field. Using Coyleā€™s system modeled after human identification system, now with plant DNA, collection now can be completed on a ā€œcollection cardā€ or a treated piece of paper that effectively provides the lab with a smear of material to be tested. The card allows police to smear the plant on the card in the field, store it, mail it or process it. No bulk samples of the marijuana are collected and the drugs found on the scene can be destroyed.ā€One major advantage of using collection cards is that it takes the marijuana sample from a usable drug form to a nonsmoking drug format, making research and storage at universities possible,ā€ she says.Marijuana is a controlled substance and illegal under federal laws. Some states have passed the use of marijuana for medicinal uses which allows for an affirmative defense if arrested by law enforcement. States like Connecticut where possession of small amounts have been decriminalized can be obtained for medical uses. Even though people with recommendations for marijuana can grow it at home, they still are at risk for prosecutions under the Controlled Substances Act.Coyleā€™s project has been funded with more than $100,000 from the National Marijuana Initiative (NMI) and the National High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Program (HIDTA). The NMI and the HIDTA work together, along with federal, state, and local law enforcement in the detection, disruption and investigations of domestic marijuana trafficking focusing on priorities such as public lands, indoor cultivations activities, medical marijuana/dispensaries, undercover internet programs and forensics.Marijuana is the most common illegal drug used in the United States and has been linked to such health problems as dependency, lung disease, depression and other problems.Coyle is a geneticist who earned her Ph.D. from the University of New Hampshire. She has worked both for the pharmaceutical industry in high throughput screening research and the Connecticut state forensic science laboratory Development of the marijuana DNA database allows her to combine her background and training in a new way, she says. A leader in experiential education, the University of New Haven provides its students with a valuable combination of solid liberal arts and real-world, hands-on professional training. Founded in 1920, UNH is a private, top-tier comprehensive university with an 82-acre main campus. The university has an enrollment of more than 5,900: approximately 1,700 graduate students and more than 4,200 undergraduates, 70 percent of whom reside in university housing. The university offers 75 undergraduate graduate degrees through the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, the Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences, the Tagliatela College of Engineering and University College. University of New Haven students study abroad through a variety of distinctive programs.

epitome

epitome

Turns out that the whole DNA mapping is not for us it is for law enforcement.

By Scott BeaulieuWEST HAVEN, CONN. ā€” A University of New Haven forensic scientist is setting up a national databank for marijuana DNA that will permit law enforcement to track where the drug originated when an arrest is made.Heather Miller Coyle, an associate professor in the Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences, is a forensic botanist. She also has developed a new method for collecting the marijuanaā€™s genetic fingerprint that makes it easy for law enforcement on the scene of a case to collect the samples.The DNA mapping initiative will allow law enforcement personnel for the first time to track where marijuana came from and link it to criminal organizations such as drug trafficking organizations in Mexico, growers in Canada or gangs in the United States.The database would be similar to the one run by the FBI for humans. That database, called CODIS, or Combined DNA Index System, allows law enforcement to collect samples from a crime scene and evaluate the DNA profile against a computerized database of samples to assist in the identification of suspects in a crime.ā€Such a databank and signature mark would be a welcome tool for police and law enforcement agencies,ā€ said Frank Limon, New Haven chief of police. ā€œItā€™s probable, in some cases, that conspirators of the overall operation may escape investigation and prosecution. The link between production and distribution would aid us in establishing conspiracy cases against the whole operation ā€“ not just the dealers and buyers. This would effectively connect the dots to street level narcotics distribution.ā€The marijuana database Coyle is developing would give police an investigative lead to trace the origin of the marijuana and help lead to the human sources for its distribution.ā€Plant DNA is like the DNA found in humans ā€“ it retains its lifelong genetic profile,ā€ says Coyle, whose work on the project included UNH students Lindsay Allgeier, Jennifer Nabozny, and Nicholas Shirley, among others.Matching DNA to plants grown on public lands in California, for example, could demonstrate that the crop was planted by people with ties to specific drug organizations . ā€œIf one person has a suitcase of marijuana and another person has bags of it, we will be able to tell if it came from the same batch.ā€Although DNA typing has been used for crops in the United Sates, its collection has been done in a science lab rather than in the field. Using Coyleā€™s system modeled after human identification system, now with plant DNA, collection now can be completed on a ā€œcollection cardā€ or a treated piece of paper that effectively provides the lab with a smear of material to be tested. The card allows police to smear the plant on the card in the field, store it, mail it or process it. No bulk samples of the marijuana are collected and the drugs found on the scene can be destroyed.ā€One major advantage of using collection cards is that it takes the marijuana sample from a usable drug form to a nonsmoking drug format, making research and storage at universities possible,ā€ she says.Marijuana is a controlled substance and illegal under federal laws. Some states have passed the use of marijuana for medicinal uses which allows for an affirmative defense if arrested by law enforcement. States like Connecticut where possession of small amounts have been decriminalized can be obtained for medical uses. Even though people with recommendations for marijuana can grow it at home, they still are at risk for prosecutions under the Controlled Substances Act.Coyleā€™s project has been funded with more than $100,000 from the National Marijuana Initiative (NMI) and the National High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Program (HIDTA). The NMI and the HIDTA work together, along with federal, state, and local law enforcement in the detection, disruption and investigations of domestic marijuana trafficking focusing on priorities such as public lands, indoor cultivations activities, medical marijuana/dispensaries, undercover internet programs and forensics.Marijuana is the most common illegal drug used in the United States and has been linked to such health problems as dependency, lung disease, depression and other problems.Coyle is a geneticist who earned her Ph.D. from the University of New Hampshire. She has worked both for the pharmaceutical industry in high throughput screening research and the Connecticut state forensic science laboratory Development of the marijuana DNA database allows her to combine her background and training in a new way, she says. A leader in experiential education, the University of New Haven provides its students with a valuable combination of solid liberal arts and real-world, hands-on professional training. Founded in 1920, UNH is a private, top-tier comprehensive university with an 82-acre main campus. The university has an enrollment of more than 5,900: approximately 1,700 graduate students and more than 4,200 undergraduates, 70 percent of whom reside in university housing. The university offers 75 undergraduate graduate degrees through the College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, the Henry C. Lee College of Criminal Justice and Forensic Sciences, the Tagliatela College of Engineering and University College. University of New Haven students study abroad through a variety of distinctive programs.
you would think that the gene marker would change from grow to grow they shouldn't group in clones from one OP to the other OP but I see clearly how this tool will be used...times running out or has ran out...

bluntmassa

bluntmassa

you would think that the gene marker would change from grow to grow they shouldn't group in clones from one OP to the other OP but I see clearly how this tool will be used...times running out or has ran out...
They have DNA mapped Blue Dream there are 8 different so called real clone onlys for sure. But some how they know for a fact Blue Dream is Super Silver Haze x DJ's Blueberry.

If they can trace the origins of a selected pollyhybrid they can possibly even trace down the original breeder of Super Silver Haze I believe Shantibaba as Aryan only has fems. Lol

Here is the video I'm speaking about watched it a while ago didn't think anything about law enforcement. But the kind of DNA fingerprinting they speak about is definitely going to be a great tool for law enforcement.

Now remember Trump is all for medical it can't be stopped but Jeff Sessions Attorney General I believe is against cannabis especially recreational. GW Pharmaceuticals holds all the patents to extract cannabinoids for a drug that can be FDA approved dispensaries will be illegal with schedule 2 recreational is our only hope to use the raw drug cannabis plant and legalize hemp.

epitome

epitome

They have DNA mapped Blue Dream there are 8 different so called real clone onlys for sure. But some how they know for a fact Blue Dream is Super Silver Haze x DJ's Blueberry.

If they can trace the origins of a selected pollyhybrid they can possibly even trace down the original breeder of Super Silver Haze I believe Shantibaba as Aryan only has fems. Lol

Here is the video I'm speaking about watched it a while ago didn't think anything about law enforcement. But the kind of DNA fingerprinting they speak about is definitely going to be a great tool for law enforcement.

Now remember Trump is all for medical it can't be stopped but Jeff Sessions Attorney General I believe is against cannabis especially recreational. GW Pharmaceuticals holds all the patents to extract cannabinoids for a drug that can be FDA approved dispensaries will be illegal with schedule 2 recreational is our only hope to use the raw drug cannabis plant and legalize hemp.
I'm following, so can more then one entity utilize the patent, from my understanding brightgreengroup owns the government patents from the studies completed at university of mississippi and they own Sam the skunk mans genetics and Robert c Clarke's genetics which are already DNA mapped and these geneticist from India that are working with brightgreengroup, have begun customizing spliced plants to exact desired cannabinoid profiles....I pray that brightgreengroup is not affiliated with GW or monsanto, I was told that brightgreengroup was opposing Monsanto and are competing against them, possibly using their own tactics against them...a deep rabbit hole brother indeed

Psychonaut47

Psychonaut47

so Santa Cruz Haze is a pheno of supersilverhaze? I'm not worried about Jeff Sessions unless he's in Pharmonopoly's pockets?

bluntmassa

bluntmassa

so Santa Cruz Haze is a pheno of supersilverhaze? I'm not worried about Jeff Sessions unless he's in Pharmonopoly's pockets?
According to DNA testing yes. But I'm sure both Republicans and Democrats are getting money from big pharma since they can raise prices and some politicians will talk a little shit but do nothing.

But who knows we have so much momentum for recreational marijuana it might just be too late. But with GMO cannabis they can dominate the legal market.

Psychonaut47

Psychonaut47

According to DNA testing yes. But I'm sure both Republicans and Democrats are getting money from big pharma since they can raise prices and some politicians will talk a little shit but do nothing.

But who knows we have so much momentum for recreational marijuana it might just be too late. But with GMO cannabis they can dominate the legal market.
DEA just dropped a monkey wrench with scheduling cbd schedule one, this Jeff Sessions might be a problem also...so hard to tell.

T

TwistedPistil

Isreali company CanBreed. Did they win the race for genetically mapped seeds and strainz?

T

TryingToGrow

Supporter
I was recently banned from ICmag (familiar story I know) but the reason I was banned was because I was arguing with skunkman about ownership of genetics. Apparently he is currently soliciting the growers on ICmag forums to send him any and all seed (even the dead ones) that they have so he can send it to a lab in Oregon named Phylos Biosciences to have the DNA sequenced.

http://phylosbioscience.com/about/

I was banned and all my posts deleted when I told others that in light of skunkmans past abuses with genetics ie selling his library to GW Pharmaceuticals who then sold the patent for Sativex (made from skunkman and RCC genes out of hortapharm for a rumored 7 figures). I'm actually unsure about the financial details, but hortapharm definitely sold their strains to GW who then hooked up with Bayer (a subsidiary of the Nazi war machines I.G Farben) so I am kind of pissed. I figured the best place to have this conversation was with skunkman himself but he is (a megalomaniac?) pretty unreasonable, and I say that because instead of talking about this he just brought down the banhammer on me.

The point being are we as a community (a worldwide community of cannabis lovers) going to allow two men with one company attempt to lay claim to any drug cultivar they find and then have it sequenced and lay claim to ownership? This is a truly frightening turn of events, what if in the future you are caught growing a strain that these companies have trademarked or claimed as intellectual property? Let's remember Bayer has a monster legal team, billions of dollars at their disposal, and a known track record of highly unethical (criminal) behavior. I am still stunned that people I looked up to are selling all of us down the river to big pharma, so they can sleep on silk sheets and leave a "legacy" or some stupid shit. The owners of hortapharm no longer care about the plant or the community they have decided to sleep with the enemy to further their own selfish desires.

I hope this is the right place for this thread, but this is like an elephant in the room. I cannot confirm the intentions of hortapharm or ICmag, but from past history, it will be at the expense of smaller local growers.

That's pretty funny. I have been banned from a few sites now for saying ~that cannabis cares about the pH of the medium it is grown in.

As to the ownership of nature's genetics (and everything else), I don't belive you can own anything unless it is attached to you i.e. your arms and legs belong to you, you own them.

~Okay by me anyways, I would prefer seeds from 'untouched' wild growing strains/plants anyways, not messed with by anyone, including (mostly), 'breeders'.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Ahh good ol regulation, legalization would have been so much better. Iā€™ve heard so many people over the years saying itā€™s a step in the right directionā€¦ bahhh šŸ‘ šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸŗ

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Everything that the community has is essentially derived from approx 500 or so; medically collaborated (public domain) strains for the most part and/or ancient original lines; so I can't see how people can "patent" nature. Not possible... in the truest sense. Someone can cross the strain; or alter it in some fashion; a new "trait" and call it their own. Also; you would need a complete genetic "fingerprint" and the community can't even agree on what a reference genome should look like.

Laws of nature, natural phenomena, and naturally-occurring products are not patentable. ... One can receive a patent on a machine, manufacture, or composition of matter that is based on a law of nature.

Basically as it stand's I think you can "patent" a "name"....
There are four different patent types:
  • Utility patent. This is what most people think of when they think about a patent. ...
  • Provisional patent. ...
  • Design patent. ...
  • Plant patent.
Jul 12, 2021

Although the US Department of Agriculture announced that it would accept applications for plant variety protection for industrial hemp (Cannabis sativa) after 24 April 2019,[9] none have been granted to date, and breeders have instead sought intellectual property protection through the Plant Patent Act of 1930, such as PP31918 Cannabis plant named ā€˜RAINBOW GUMMEEZā€™ (June 30, 2020).[10]

During the congressional debates about the Plant Patent Act, some of the key issues were: what kinds of plant qualified as patentable subject matter; what exactly did a breeder have to do in order to qualify as an inventor; and what was the relationship between the act of invention and the act of reproducing the invention.[1] These issues were overcome by adopting a new concept of invention that has been characterized as 'inductive' invention, by arguing that "although the ā€˜sportsā€™ or spontaneous mutations from which they bred new varieties often occurred naturally, the skill of identifying the mutation, isolating it, and then reproducing it was a work of invention."[2] Uniquely, the legislation "eliminated the standard industrial patent requirement that the invention be described sufficiently well to enable someone skilled in the art to reproduce it."[3]

The scope of the rights offered by the Plant Patent Act was arguably curtailed by the US Court of Appeals decision in 1995, Imazio Nursery Inc. v. Dania Greenhouses, 36 U.S.P.Q. 2d 1673, which held that "to establish infringement of a plant patent it is necessary to prove that the accused plant is derived from, i.e. a copy of, the actual plant which prompted the filing of the application for plant patent."[4]

The legislation did not receive much popular attention until several decades later, during the development of plant breeders' rights through the UPOV 1961 treaty and the enactment of the US Plant Variety Protection Act of 1970, which coincided with broader critiques of intellectual property and its relationship to human health, food security, and the environment.[5] The criticism became more intense when the Plant Patent Act was cited to support patent protection for genetically modified organisms (GMOs) in US Supreme Court cases like Diamond v. Chakrabarty and J.E.M. Ag Supply v. Pioneer Hi-Bred.[6] Many activists and scholars have suggested that there is a connection between plant patent protection and the loss of biodiversity,[7] although such claims are contested.[8]

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Personally I have some specific idea's surrounding how to "specify" or "describe" a legal claim to genetic variance; but I'm recite to speak about them in the company of strangers. This is a very convoluted and interesting subject; and it's got a lot more to do with just "traits'; or a specific strain; genetics. You can patent an idea. Lots of things fall under that one.

Things can/could qualify for patent protection in the cannabis industry; not only Genetics. But patenting something isn't a cheap process. You need to have something that's actually valuable. šŸ˜ and that everyone wants, or many people want; at minimum. Something people can't get otherwise.

Personally, I think patents are a capitalist's pig trap; so some fat cat can steal some poor joe's idea's brilliant idea's; co-op and steal; then charge other people for it. Cause that's usually the case.

Last edited:
H

hawkman

I was recently banned from ICmag (familiar story I know) but the reason I was banned was because I was arguing with skunkman about ownership of genetics. Apparently he is currently soliciting the growers on ICmag forums to send him any and all seed (even the dead ones) that they have so he can send it to a lab in Oregon named Phylos Biosciences to have the DNA sequenced.

http://phylosbioscience.com/about/

I was banned and all my posts deleted when I told others that in light of skunkmans past abuses with genetics ie selling his library to GW Pharmaceuticals who then sold the patent for Sativex (made from skunkman and RCC genes out of hortapharm for a rumored 7 figures). I'm actually unsure about the financial details, but hortapharm definitely sold their strains to GW who then hooked up with Bayer (a subsidiary of the Nazi war machines I.G Farben) so I am kind of pissed. I figured the best place to have this conversation was with skunkman himself but he is (a megalomaniac?) pretty unreasonable, and I say that because instead of talking about this he just brought down the banhammer on me.

The point being are we as a community (a worldwide community of cannabis lovers) going to allow two men with one company attempt to lay claim to any drug cultivar they find and then have it sequenced and lay claim to ownership? This is a truly frightening turn of events, what if in the future you are caught growing a strain that these companies have trademarked or claimed as intellectual property? Let's remember Bayer has a monster legal team, billions of dollars at their disposal, and a known track record of highly unethical (criminal) behavior. I am still stunned that people I looked up to are selling all of us down the river to big pharma, so they can sleep on silk sheets and leave a "legacy" or some stupid shit. The owners of hortapharm no longer care about the plant or the community they have decided to sleep with the enemy to further their own selfish desires.

I hope this is the right place for this thread, but this is like an elephant in the room. I cannot confirm the intentions of hortapharm or ICmag, but from past history, it will be at the expense of smaller local growers.
was banned but they have lifted my ban - I feel because they are loosing menbers - many post are out dated here are some very good sites out ther now-a-days

Top Bottom