Whos using airpots?

• Thread starter cheyenne
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Got pix? The best way to use an air pot is to put a smart pot inside it. Try watering 100 Air Pots by hand, it will never happen. If you do take the time the plant still has dry spots in it. If you got the 3 gal air pot put 2 gallons of water and let it sit till gone. Open the pot and have a look, your going to be pissed. Water takes the path of less resistance and that my friend is out the holes. You need to water slow, lots of water and for a long time. Way to much hassle, don't use them outside the space in the bottom is where slugs love to live and dine.

Now let me tell you what I really think lol

Good advice @woodsmaneh , however u can use then w/o a liner, hand water and not have them piss themselves. U have to create what I call a fill ring( the highest point ull let the water level fill the top of pot) and then also pack ur coco down tight on the outside edges at least 2-3rows of holes down. I feed the 5.5 gal airports with a hand wand and big pump 15 seconds, wait 5 seconds and 15 more seconds with about 10%runoff from the bottom not the sides. I did take me a while to solve the piss themselves part tho. I feel their biggest weakness is if u have a infestation, bugs have access to all parts of roots not jus top and bottom, specifically root aphids.

Confu.

I have since switched to using beds but had to go back to using airpots this round, I'll try n remember to snap pixs of what I was talking about above.

Confu

B

boo

How do they not piss nutes the pot has open slots? Just curious

the peat is absorbed as the water is poured into the container...I always water the perimiter so the sides gets wet first...as the peat swells it shuts down the access for the rest of the nutes to run out the slots...sure, if you give the plant an enema it will run out but I can get run off out of the bottom without letting any out the sides...it takes a little getting use to but the results are irrefutable...

Natural

Natural

How do they not piss nutes the pot has open slots? Just curious

the peat is absorbed as the water is poured into the container...I always water the perimiter so the sides gets wet first...as the peat swells it shuts down the access for the rest of the nutes to run out the slots...sure, if you give the plant an enema it will run out but I can get run off out of the bottom without letting any out the sides...it takes a little getting use to but the results are irrefutable...

Same as smart pots.. water-in slow. You may lose particles of soil until the roots have substantiated themselves throughout. Run-off trays help as well.

Reactions: boo
B

boo

exactly but these posts outperform the smartpots and aren't a pain in the ass to clean, don't collapse when being filled, and are rugged...I just don't like a fabric pot...places for bugs to live IN the fabric...once the initial watering is done I apply a gallon of nutes to each pot and let them perc...then I add a half gallon to each pot and then feed until I see runoff...I grow 12 trees at a time and it takes me longer to formulate my solution than it does to feed the trees...

Natural

Natural

exactly but these posts outperform the smartpots and aren't a pain in the ass to clean, don't collapse when being filled, and are rugged...I just don't like a fabric pot...places for bugs to live IN the fabric...once the initial watering is done I apply a gallon of nutes to each pot and let them perc...then I add a half gallon to each pot and then feed until I see runoff...I grow 12 trees at a time and it takes me longer to formulate my solution than it does to feed the trees...

Yes..I'm moving away from fabric pots all together...hate the way they look after 2 rounds. Fresh and clean Hercules pots for every round..cheers.

whatthe215

whatthe215

ya been running smart pots and dirt pots (hydrofarm, thicker fabric) and there's no chance ima be able to clean them well enough. got some hercules pots a few weeks ago, everything i put in is happier vs. regular pots. 1/2g hercules outperforming 1gal nursey pots.

budm

budm

Why so hard to clean? I use drip clean in my automated watering system and at the end of a run I just open the pots, chuck the stalk and attached rootball, recycle the medium and hose the airpots off. Basically a rinse and repeat.

After 2-3 runs, sometimes I'll see a ring around the bottom where they've been sitting in the drip trays so I'll break em down and do overnight soak in a Rubbermaid tub filled with an H2O2 solution. Other than that, virtually no maintenance or cleaning efforts required.

budm

budm

Good advice @woodsmaneh , however u can use then w/o a liner, hand water and not have them piss themselves. U have to create what I call a fill ring( the highest point ull let the water level fill the top of pot) and then also pack ur coco down tight on the outside edges at least 2-3rows of holes down. I feed the 5.5 gal airports with a hand wand and big pump 15 seconds, wait 5 seconds and 15 more seconds with about 10%runoff from the bottom not the sides. I did take me a while to solve the piss themselves part tho. I feel their biggest weakness is if u have a infestation, bugs have access to all parts of roots not jus top and bottom, specifically root aphids.

Confu.

I have since switched to using beds but had to go back to using airpots this round, I'll try n remember to snap pixs of what I was talking about above.

Confu

Good advice. I also pack the perimeter when filling the pots. That and making sure the emitters are closer to the middle than the sides and I've eliminated water from pissing out the holes.

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

Hercules pots leak for sure, I have a couple dozen, they also do not stop root spiral and did almost no root pruning, plants still get root bound.... we've used the air pots in our nursery's and they work great!! however they are made to be used with a dripper system not hand watering....they also greatly reduce transplant shock

Last edited:
Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
I instructed a buddy to link his airpots together so he now has a 3x3 bed made from 4 5 gallon air pots. Its pretty sick, not going to lie. His plants are loving him right now too.
I've thought about doing that I have the 5 gal airpots and 3x3 beds might have to get it a try.

confu

tweedy

tweedy

I've thought about doing that I have the 5 gal airpots and 3x3 beds might have to get it a try.

confu
Yup, I saw his 5 gallon air pots in action and his 3x3 bed and the bed is happier. Fuller. Haven't seen full flower size yet vs the 5 gallon stand alones because he is still bloomin.

kushdoctor

kushdoctor

Get some of the cloth type pots like roots organics are cheap and thin so they dry out fast which I like so I can water every other day . you won't get as many uses out of them as you would smartpots , but smartpots are thicker and take too long too dry out and can cause an anaerobic condition . Although the light version looks pretty nice . And don't use saucers or trays under them ,if your watering so much that you get lots of runoff you're watering too much .

B

boo

odd, I've found when using the fabric smart pots I had to flood to drain twice per feeding or I had dry pockets of peat and the roots died off...

killemsoftly

killemsoftly

love airpots. lost bout 5 of em during last move. would be willing to buy a bunch of 3 or 5 ga ones off anyone who hates em and wants some of their $ back. let me know. no bs. i'll have bitcoin n paypal set up soon.
paz amor amigos

J

jbizness

Fuck airpots!! Never had any pest problems till i g_ot them, fuckin aphids playing tic tac toe on which holes to go through then jump from pot to pot.. Once again fuck airpots.

Top Bottom