Why 600W HPS over 1kW HPS

• Thread starter jandjbako
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jandjbako

I see that a whole lot of people here are using multiple 600W HPS systems. I use 4 1K HPS in my system. I cannot seem to figure out why they are using them. If there is a good reason, I would like to jump on the bandwagon. So, can anyone tell me Why?

Thanks,
J1

justiceman

justiceman

You already have 4 1k so I would just stick with that. You can get some massive yield and spread for sure off of those not to mention the penetration power. I would possibly get light movers if you want to cover more area. But the reason why a lot of people do 600w is because it runs slightly cooler then a 1000w so cooling is a lot easier but a 600w hps technically puts out more lumens per watt then a 1000w hps. The only downside is 600w doesn't have as much penetration power as a 1000w, but If you use lets say two 600w's instead of one 1000w, you would get a far greater spread for a lot less watts, so you could increase the plant count but they would have to be slightly shorter, however I think the increase in plants might possibly outweigh the yield from a 1000w. For instance you have 4k(4 1000w lights), but if you did 600w's you would get 3.6k(6 600w lights) or add a 7th light to get 4.2k haha. Not sure though but I am pretty sure you would get more yield off 6-7 600w lights then 4 1k lights. This is honestly just speculation though so hopefully someone that has some exp with 1k lights will chime in. I have only run up to 600w in a 4x4 tent so I am not well versed in multiple light set ups.

Z

zoeronerer

a 600 watt digital ballast gives you the most lumens per watt .....

for the money in elec and investment its the cheapest way to go

along with the increased bulb life from the digi ballast

if u do scrog or sea of green people like them ..

if yer a bucket weirdo than u want the 1k.. or if u do large size an coco like me

an u need penetration ....

also they run cooler ...heat is most beginning gardners problem unless u live in a cold climate....

Onespark

Onespark

Im looking at 32 clones from the same mother. plants are on week six of flower. 16 under a 1K w/ a mag coil ballast and 16 under a 600 w/ a lumitek digital. The plants under the 1k are bigger and thicker. Plants under the 600 have nice tops but a more whispy bottom two thirds of the plant, and thinner overall branch diameter. These are 24-32" bushes. I have been trying to determine the same thing you are asking and Im staying with 1k's on 240v. This is not my first try with these two setups going head to head.
Everything from the 600's is of top notch quality just doesn't end up quite yielding like the 1k does in my observation. The 600 Still makes dense flowers and I am sure there are people with 6's blowing my observations out of the water. anyway...

A 4'x8' area covered with 2K and 1 400mH in the middle...XOX... That is the best method i have found for horizontal lighting. Banging quality there every single time IMHO.:sun

L

Lost

Its just what has been said here.

In motoring there is a saying, "There is no replacement for displacement"

It means the bigger the better..

And when your growing herb.. Yeah..

:)

M

medic1969

more points of light is also a key to using two 600 is 1200 AND IS CHEAPER than 1000

S

scrapiron

more points of light is also a key to using two 600 is 1200 AND IS CHEAPER than 1000

You get multiple points of light, you get 200 more watts, you also get a higher power bill. It is not cheaper. To run 2-600w for 12 hours a day, @ .10 per kwh rate comes to $48.96 for a month. Same equasion for 1-1000w is $39.60. So 1000w is cheaper.

The answer is more lumens per watt with the 6oo's,(with the right configuration) which in a way is cheaper, until you get the utility bill!

There is still so many variables like bulb, what kind of ballast, reflector, ect that have to be figured in. 600w Eye Hort bulb is 146.6 lumens per watt, 1000w is 145 lumens per watt. As far as the bulb that is only 1.6 lumen difference. Not worth it to me?

I like Lost's response!

B

bicycle racer

yes the 1 1000w may be cheaper in actual electrical costs compared to dual 600s but the 600s put out significantly more light per watt so in reality overtime the 600s are cheaper and more efficient.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I went with, and will probably continue with 600W because PG&E is just outrageous. I have a light-mover, and I love how it evens out the light received over a given area. I don't grow bushes, that's for outside and it's a pain in the butt to keep bushes tame indoors, so I keep them really short, pistil-whip and this last time tried a ScroG. Next run's gonna be using a Quantum (haven't decided whether or not I'll use a hood or just get a socket and cord and hang the bulb vertically) and I've got a goodly number of cuts going well so I'm thinking SoG.

I don't think I know anyone who's gone wrong growing using 1K fixtures, but I know a few who have gone broke running 1K fixtures.

sedate

sedate

scrapion said:
It is not cheaper. To run 2-600w for 12 hours a day, @ .10 per kwh rate comes to $48.96 for a month. Same equasion for 1-1000w is $39.60. So 1000w is cheaper.

Nevermind that two bulbs also require TWICE the cooling hardware - a second hood, more duct work, more hassle.

Lost said:
In motoring there is a saying, "There is no replacement for displacement"

Bah.

I'll take a turbocharged 4-banger any day.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Unless you've got a situation like mine--need more heat, need lower power bills!

D

Dan K

im about to either upgrade to a 1k or add another 600 to make 1200 in a 4x4... i have a xl hood 29x24 that has an optional twin socket bracket for 2 600 watt bulbs... i'm not needing the surface area inceased as much as i need the light penetration... however, i can drop the hood 6 inches from the canapy because i'm "blowing" with a 400+ cfm fan... what do you guys think would be a better set up??? i can only have 4 plants so they have to be big...

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

Bang out the dual 6's Dan K. Texas Kid had a grow awhile back with 2 600's over 9 plants yield was over 3+lbs. Tent was all bowed out, i think i remember him having to leave the tent open and run a box fan pointed into the box for ventilation it was so stacked.

It kinda depends on what your set up is, some people use 6's because of heat or style of growing or maybe they just got a good deal on the ballast? My 600's and 1k's are kinda interchangeable to me, just gotta keep one closer than the other.

S

scrapiron

yes the 1 1000w may be cheaper in actual electrical costs compared to dual 600s but the 600s put out significantly more light per watt so in reality overtime the 600s are cheaper and more efficient.

cheaper and more efficient are 2 totally different things. You must be an appliance salesman! :rock haha

D

Dan K

Vertical bulbs on 4 plants plants will make them Trees!!

fur sure bro... i would have a whole room enclosed with vertical lighting and mmb's if permitted... i have a 4x4 space to work with... it's not a money thing with me, it's a hidden thing:)

D

Dan K

Bang out the dual 6's Dan K. Texas Kid had a grow awhile back with 2 600's over 9 plants yield was over 3+lbs. Tent was all bowed out, i think i remember him having to leave the tent open and run a box fan pointed into the box for ventilation it was so stacked.

It kinda depends on what your set up is, some people use 6's because of heat or style of growing or maybe they just got a good deal on the ballast? My 600's and 1k's are kinda interchangeable to me, just gotta keep one closer than the other.

i can see how that would work with a higher plant count just aiming for the topsof 9 plants... my plant count can only be 4... can you get as much penetration with 2 600's as opposed to a 1k??? i run the bottom third of the plant bare right now with 1 600. it just doesn't penetrate and makes undesirable larf...

S

slimjoint

i prefer using 2 600s over 1 1k more light spread and i get better results with my 600 than my 1000, next run i should try 1 1000 and 2 vertical 600s.
I prefer it because some parts of the tent get less light but with 2 i can see the balanced level of light over the canopy

K

khaoticOrder

You already have 4 1k so I would just stick with that. You can get some massive yield and spread for sure off of those not to mention the penetration power. I would possibly get light movers if you want to cover more area. But the reason why a lot of people do 600w is because it runs slightly cooler then a 1000w so cooling is a lot easier but a 600w hps technically puts out more lumens per watt then a 1000w hps. The only downside is 600w doesn't have as much penetration power as a 1000w, but If you use lets say two 600w's instead of one 1000w, you would get a far greater spread for a lot less watts, so you could increase the plant count but they would have to be slightly shorter, however I think the increase in plants might possibly outweigh the yield from a 1000w. For instance you have 4k(4 1000w lights), but if you did 600w's you would get 3.6k(6 600w lights) or add a 7th light to get 4.2k haha. Not sure though but I am pretty sure you would get more yield off 6-7 600w lights then 4 1k lights. This is honestly just speculation though so hopefully someone that has some exp with 1k lights will chime in. I have only run up to 600w in a 4x4 tent so I am not well versed in multiple light set ups.

Although i am new to this site i am far from new to growing. I have learned in my xp that when it comes to growing in confined areas such as a bedroom or like justiceman is right. 600w lights far outweigh 1k, hands down, unless your dealing with dominant sativas where light penetration is a must for the taller breeds. All in all, I'm about to setup 12x 600w on light movers and flip-flops in 2 differents rooms.

L

Lost

Nevermind that two bulbs also require TWICE the cooling hardware - a second hood, more duct work, more hassle.

Bah.

I'll take a turbocharged 4-banger any day.

And i'll take my blown big block over your 20 psi 2 liter :)

L

Lost

If your not running into heat issues, a 1000 is going to produce more bigger buds. 2 600's are just do not have the intensity of a 1000. The greater the intensity, the more and the bigger the buds.

If your doing a small grow and keeping it simple, sure the 600 is a fine little bulb. If your trying to max you yields, then 1000's are the way to go, perferably verticle.

Different typs of grows are going to be more advantageous to one or the other. If your a scrogger, then perhaps a million 600's is better since you need little penetration and are basically top farming. If your doing taller stuff then verticle 1000 tree farming will blow scrogging out of the water on most levels if not all.

Lots of ways to skin a cat, but realize in optimal conditions your 1000 buds are going to be a bit bigger than the 600. Im sure there is some exception like 8 600's around a plant instead of 4 1000's. Being able to stack lights vert would make for huge yields but thats not very praticle beyond 4 plants.. The 1000 might still outyield it because of the better penetration, so its hard to say, but as the buds from a 600 pale to buds from a 1000, buds from a 1500 are even nicer!

Top Bottom