Why Are By Sugar Leaves Turning Brown?

• Thread starter Badwolf
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
mango420

mango420

You are scortching those plants man. What week are you in? You should never be using bud igniter and big bud together. Bud ignitor is for week one of flower that's it, then bigbud for week 2-6. What are you feeding them in veg? Also what size pots are you in and how tall and wide is you plant?

B

Badwolf

You are scortching those plants man. What week are you in? You should never be using bud igniter and big bud together. Bud ignitor is for week one of flower that's it, then bigbud for week 2-6. What are you feeding them in veg? Also what size pots are you in and how tall and wide is you plant?

Holy crap mango your right I was crossing those. and low and behold this is my third time using a/n and I didn't cross them first few times which is why I neve had this issue before to consider it. not sure where I lost that in translation.

B

Badwolf

So I officially feel like an ass. especially dragging everybody through this.

Day 10 flower, largest ones are about 2.5 sqft and the smallest is 1.5 sqft. Pot size is 3 gal fabric pots
In veg it grew a/b cal-mag and b-52.

I think I just made the wrong turn a few weeks ago when I had too many plants that were in different stages in flower
and crossed those nutes and didn't think twice about it and worse it stuck. It explains the trail of what happened and why I was so lost on it I thought I was mixing perfectly every time.

OldPine

OldPine

@Badwolf, it sounds like you found your main culprit thanks to mango. But I wouldn't doubt there are other things going on here too. I had a very similar problem just this past week. I'm also in a coco mix for this particular grow and the girls are preferring daily watering. What happened to me, though, was that I was brought to my knees because my pH pen stopped accurately reading and I didn't realize it until damage was done...the same damage you have. The pen was reading approx 0.6 too high causing toxicity and lockout due to being below the low end of desired pH range.

Do you have more than one way of measuring pH?

I'm lucky to say that I've not had pH problems in previous grows. Seemingly, my pH meters and pens were all accurate (or at least accurate enough). Right now though, I'm unbelievably frustrated because I have 4 different ways of measuring pH and they're all reading differently. Pain in the ass.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing improvement after a good flush and replace with light nutes and a pH that I *think* is bang on 5.8 (who the F knows though?).

B

Badwolf

@Badwolf, it sounds like you found your main culprit thanks to mango. But I wouldn't doubt there are other things going on here too. I had a very similar problem just this past week. I'm also in a coco mix for this particular grow and the girls are preferring daily watering. What happened to me, though, was that I was brought to my knees because my pH pen stopped accurately reading and I didn't realize it until damage was done...the same damage you have. The pen was reading approx 0.6 too high causing toxicity and lockout due to being below the low end of desired pH range.

Do you have more than one way of measuring pH?

I'm lucky to say that I've not had pH problems in previous grows. Seemingly, my pH meters and pens were all accurate (or at least accurate enough). Right now though, I'm unbelievably frustrated because I have 4 different ways of measuring pH and they're all reading differently. Pain in the ass.

For what it's worth, I'm seeing improvement after a good flush and replace with light nutes and a pH that I *think* is bang on 5.8 (who the F knows though?).

I feel that I have two ph pens that I use and calibrate often. Im just hoping I can fix this as its only day ten and that its only cosmetic damage at this point

hermit186

hermit186

Try using drops once your good with them you can check your meters I use both it's that important. I have had problems with the cheep meters now I have a $80 meter and have not had a problem. The drops will keep you from learning the hard way its not accurate.

OldPine

OldPine

Try using drops once your good with them you can check your meters I use both it's that important. I have had problems with the cheep meters now I have a $80 meter and have not had a problem. The drops will keep you from learning the hard way its not accurate.

Hey hermit - what meter do you have, if you don't mind me asking?

I've owned lots of different pens and meters over the years, and I've never had a problem like the one I experienced just recently. I have a bluelab guardian which I believe is currently my most accurate. I have three other pens, all from different manufacturers and ranging in price. I calibrate all of my pens every use. None give the same reading. And the bluelab reads differently too.

In the past, maybe I've been lucky with my pens. My luck has seemingly run out, and I'm struggling to find one that I can trust.

And of course, with their short shelf life, it's hard to justify buying the super duper expensive ones unless they have replaceable probes (like the bluelab guardian I have).

hermit186

hermit186

The only bad question was the one you didn't ask.
Bluelab pH Pen - The Ultimate Handy Solution for Measuring pH and Temperature - PENPH
by Bluelab
The temperature of the water is also important to some strains.
The calibration is very important. I use drops to watch over my pen in the 2 years I have owned Blulab I have calibrate it twice. I keep it standing turned off in RO water and never let element dry out.
Also I don't use but I bought for a friend as present Bluelab makes a very good pen for soil based media and isn't that bad I think I paid around a 100 dollars.
The changes to her grows made me a hero. She said that she never understood ph before and how it can be different in different places in the pots. She is not a weed grower but keeps a monster green house full of Trees.

F

FarmerX

Happy to see it was sorted out!

If it's day 10, the ladies might jump back depending on how much root damage was done.

Overfeeding, nutrient mixing errors and improper input monitoring are the most common way people loose crops in our community.

My patient manager, who has years more experience than myself, got too comfortable recently.
He's been running the same brand with the same tap water for 10+ years. He stopped checking EC and pH a few years ago because it was always stable. Recently his local water suspplier had an issue at the plant and water was sent through without full treatment, exiting faucet at 4.0 pH and .7EC (usually 7.2 pH and .2 EC). Unfortunately he didn't check the reservoirs to notice until it was too late. He lost all of his cutting trays and murdered his flower room.

Follow the great advice of these farmers here, spend the money on a high quality TDS meter, don't forget to purchase the calibrating solutions. I would also pick up some cheap droppers to be used to in conjunction with the meter you buy, or in case of emergency. Use these things religiously, they will save you and your plants a lot of stress! I check(and sometimes adjust) my reservoirs 3+ times a day.

Please post in a week or two so we can see what your progress is like, and maybe this thread can be used as reference later on when others have the same problems and need solutions.

Cheers,

X

hermit186

hermit186

I have a suggestion talk with your local supplier or buy the small aluminum foil
packets. I use them now. you open top and set your meter. I mostly set at night and leave in pouch over night and adjust in am so is a kinda double check if you get a swing over night meter may be going or your batteries are low.

I use drops for those not used to using drops you will learn the small changes in color and will be within .2 to .4 .This will give you a bench mark.
I test with drops every mix but I do 40 gal at a time so is 5 or 6 days in between
mixes I use meter every day but I get very little change if I get a change I use drops to check meter.
The roots are very important and PH is very important to them.
I also use air stone to move the PH up is what the air in conex dose to reservoir. I use coco so I move it from 5.6 to 6.1. I don't run air stone all the time but have small fountain pump in my reservoir and it runs 15 min every 2 hours that also effects the PH is just a bit but you will notice it. It seems to me that everything can effect the PH.
I have a very consistent PH after mixing and my ppm's come out with in 50ppm every batch. It will change a bit over night but is small. I use a old triple beam but am careful with the measurements.
I often say its a weed treat it more like a weed that said I have learned when you move a weed into a confined space you must be very vigilant and learn what the plants are saying to you.

zigzagtop

zigzagtop

I'm having the same thing...but I harvested one plant just two months ago, all of the sugar leaves started drying out at the tips until the dried out completely. It had me worried, because from my years experience, only the fan leaves died/dried out or turned colour. I had one bunch of plants I grew from good bud bag seeds...all the leaves turned so dark purple, they looked black...but this sugar leaf dying is freaking me out. The bud I grew and and cut and dried for curing is pretty good...I'm impressed and happy. I have one plant in flower outside...the same thing happened, all the sugar leaves are drying out from the tips to the stem, leaving these tan near whiteish dead leaf pieces in the bud. The bud looks fine, smokes fine and is pretty nice high. My pH is in range, my nutrient schedule on track...I'd say don't worry about it...it's definitely not bud rot or root mold...or even root rot or bud mold. I'm going to ask around in the botany field about it.

zigzagtop

zigzagtop

I had one plant the same thing happened...had me worried. The bud seemed fine but all the sugar leaf started out with the tips turning brown from drying out, then the entire leaves would dry out completely. I harvested one plant like that a month ago, the bud tastes fine, the potency is great...? Now I have another one outside...same thing. I'm thinking nitrogen toxicity. Weirdest thing, I have two plants growing under LED lights that are just fine...I don't get it. Usually, from my experience of at least 20 years messing around, the fan leaf will turn yellow, then die and fall off...or turn purple, but I never had the sugar leaves do this. I'm thinking of maybe just watering it with pH'd water for a couple of feedings...see what happens. It's a shame, because I'm already 5 weeks into 12 & 12...about half way through flowering.

Top Bottom