Aqua Man

Aqua Man

As the title states why are my seedling stretching? 🤔
Why are my seedling stretching

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
I think if you germinated under lights they stretch my Lot just did too much so I tossed then started again . I’m doing my next lot with low light . Nice looking seedlings AM .

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
As the title states why are my seedling stretching? 🤔View attachment 972020
They'll do that to me as well I plant sprouts now 1/2 way down in the cup so when they do stretch I just add soil to the top and cover up to just under the primary leaves.

If you're careful you can ( when the soil is still damp) pop them out and knock off the soil on the bottom off that won't have roots in it yet. ( like a transplant but back into the same cup) add the soil to the top. They are fragile but with care it can be done. I 've done it many times in the past until I learned to keep them lower in the cups. They are only a day or 2 old no roots to speak of yet.

Or bend a paper clip over to support the stalk with one long straight piece into the ground

One drop

One drop

Bush Doctor
Supporter
They'll do that to me as well I plant sprouts now 1/2 way down in the cup so when they do stretch I just add soil to the top and cover up to just under the primary leaves.

If you're careful you can ( when the soil is still damp) pop them out and knock off the soil on the bottom off that won't have roots in it yet. ( like a transplant but back into the same cup) add the soil to the top. They are fragile but with care it can be done. I 've done it many times in the past until I learned to keep them lower in the cups. They are only a day or 2 old no roots to speak of yet.
Yes good idea I nearly always have to do that my seedlings . I will use the half way down method you described cheers Pipe .

growsince79

growsince79

I think if you germinated under lights they stretch my Lot just did too much so I tossed then started again . I’m doing my next lot with low light . Nice looking seedlings AM .
If you germinate in paper towels, and plant under cool white @3-4" when the root is1/2 inch, they won't stretch. After the first week add warm white.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey aqua , what strains are you growing ?
These are

Blunt Force Trauma by GK genetics

Hyper Blue Cherry Magoo by Reno genetics.

Yeah I was just kinda playing to see who I could catch.

I agree though a more blue spectrum would keep em a bit shorter. But they are normal as far as I'm concerned. I just bury them a bit when transplanting. It's the internodes that will tell me if they are stretching.

jaguarlax

jaguarlax

Supporter
I seen this really cool new tech on here yesterday someone posted. If you take your soil pots and sink them in a hydro res, I think it stops seedlings from stretching. Groundbreaking research this guy is doing lemme tell ya.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If you germinate in paper towels, and plant under cool white @3-4" when the root is1/2 inch, they won't stretch. After the first week add warm white.
You got it sir.. I usually do then under a 20w 6k LED. At 10000 lux.

This time 3k at 20-25k lux to try and offset it a bit.

I think 5k+ is ideal for seedlings but at the same time there is nothing wrong with seedlings stretching a bit within reason. It's the internode lengths I will be concerned about.

Only ever seen 1 or 2 posts with this question that have legit stretching issues.

3-4" is absolutely normal as you say.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You got it sir.. I usually do then under a 20w 6k LED. At 10000 lux.

This time 3k at 20-25k lux to try and offset it a bit.

I think 5k+ is ideal for seedlings but at the same time there is nothing wrong with seedlings stretching a bit within reason. It's the internode lengths I will be concerned about.

Only ever seen 1 or 2 posts with this question that have legit stretching issues.

3-4" is absolutely normal in my books.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
I start under a 1000w MH and I DO get some stretching, but it typically strengthens up very quickly. I just make a little cone of soil/medium and surround and support the stalk. In a day or two you should be fine. Don't use fans on them yet... ave that fo later on...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom