Why do people grow autos?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

I don't grow autos, but they are supposed to be good for outdoors in regions that have short growing seasons. Noobs often pick Autos because they think it will be "automatic" and easier to grow.

F

frogyrogy

What are the perks of growing Autoflowering cannabis seeds? Autoflowering cannabis seeds offer several advantages especially for beginners. The plants are small and compact thus occupies minimal spaces indoors. They also grow quickly and flower a lot faster than their photoperiod counterparts do.
Too many people buy into the seed bank hype of easier/faster. I think you need more research into this . . . autos flip themselves quickly but the actual flowering period is generally the same for an auto or a photo, 7-10 weeks from pistils to harvest. Based on my limited experience with autos . . . couple of runs I knew better than to spend my $$$ on them again. Also, if in a hurry I can flip a photoperiod plant at 21 days and it will likely finish before an autoflower started at the same time . . . my photos generally only yield about 3-5 oz when flipped early like this, but that's all I've gotten off an auto at it's best.

The only thing easier about autos is they don't require a change to the light cycle . . . and if we can't set an analog timer to 12/12 we're probably going to have trouble with mixing nutes, monitoring pH, ppm, etc. I hear folks say light leaks won't hurt them . . . fix the leaks, how hard is it get inside a tent or room with lights off and tape/caulk/seal any light leaks?

And what do I do when that one plant needs that extra week of veg? Ask the auto to wait? Or just accept a shit harvest? Maybe grow a photoperiod next time so I can add a week or two to veg and be happy with my grow rather than mad because it flowered at 8".

For me a big part of growing is producing the best quality flower I can, consistently. Can't do that with autos.

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
Autos
I grow autos indoor over the winter and outdoor in the summer. I know you can control photo size with veg time and pot size, but I look for easy indoor. Easy in that I don't have to worry about light leaks and power outages over the winter. I grow Autos outdoor so I can stagger my harvest. First autos, then photos.

SuperAutos (aka semi autos)
I grow mostly Sativa leaning SuperAutos outdoor. Again to stagger the harvest, but for the yield as well. They tend to finish just before photos. They're not super stable so some finish early.

Dwarfs
They're just too cute. I start them indoor and hand them off to friends. They make awesome balcony plants. I have one that only gets 12" max. Even outdoor.
(This is not LowRider)

Photos
Outdoor. Indicas, Sativas, and Hybrids alike. Nothing wrong with photos indoor. I just don't do it often. If I find a special pheno, I might take a cut and grow it indoor as a mom or for seed.

I have to admit, I nice big photo is a sight to behold.
(Swazi)

As for potency, I doubt you'd notice between photos and autos. People who say different are the purists in the gang. And that's ok.

Last edited:
mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Well, the votes are in and all reasonable people hate autos.

HA! Just kidding. I couldn't resist.

Several decades ago, I had the honor of being a judge at a middle school science fair. The most hilarious science exhibit asked the immortal question: Why is blue everyone's favorite color?

The researcher polled 7 people on their favorite colors. Four said blue, one red, one green and one plaid. The final conclusion of the study: Blue is everyone's favorite color.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Well, the votes are in and all reasonable people hate autos.

HA! Just kidding. I couldn't resist.

Several decades ago, I had the honor of being a judge at a middle school science fair. The most hilarious science exhibit asked the immortal question: Why is blue everyone's favorite color?

The researcher polled 7 people on their favorite colors. Four said blue, one red, one green and one plaid. The final conclusion of the study: Blue is everyone's favorite color.
Hahaha. I was the green voter. 👌

Moshmen

Moshmen

What are the perks of growing Autoflowering cannabis seeds? Autoflowering cannabis seeds offer several advantages especially for beginners. The plants are small and compact thus occupies minimal spaces indoors. They also grow quickly and flower a lot faster than their photoperiod counterparts do.
Autoflowers should not be for beginners ! Imo they are better off with photos - and I grow my share of autos .

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Autoflowers should not be for beginners ! Imo they are better off with photos - and I grow my share of autos .
I've only grown auto's on a 12hr flowering light cycle because using my 1000w hps 18 hrs a day is just too fkin expensive.. I'd like to see how they do under my se3000 on 18hr light....I need another light....maybe 2 more .....Spiderfarmer? Spiderfarmer? I have the space just saying...I'll be a good tester......

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
100%. Accurate.
people see the term”Auto” and assume it will automatically fill some jars. 🙈
Despite your level of growing, your still limited by inconsistent imbred genetics as well.
Their only purpose is for growers that cannot provide a grow area with the proper lighting requirements to grow photoperiods.

Pushrod Monkey

Pushrod Monkey

100%. Accurate.
Despite your level of growing, your still limited by inconsistent imbred genetics as well.
Their only purpose is for growers that cannot provide a grow area with the proper lighting requirements to grow photoperiods.
If autos were the bomb and had weight and high THC you’d see multiple commercial operations running them. Period. They suck. I’ve never had one finish outdoors here despite claimed flower times. 3 years running a couple of freebies outdoors in the Land of the Midnight Sun. All 3 times had to finish them under light indoors. 3 times was enough. Weed was okay but not great. But I’m glad someone likes them for whatever reason.

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
Autos
I grow autos indoor over the winter and outdoor in the summer. I know you can control photo size with veg time and pot size, but I look for easy indoor. Easy in that I don't have to worry about light leaks and power outages over the winter. I grow Autos outdoor so I can stagger my harvest. First autos, then photos.

SuperAutos (aka semi autos)
I grow mostly Sativa leaning SuperAutos outdoor. Again to stagger the harvest, but for the yield as well. They tend to finish just before photos. They're not super stable so some finish early.

Dwarfs
They're just too cute. I start them indoor and hand them off to friends. They make awesome balcony plants. I have one that only gets 12" max. Even outdoor.
(This is not LowRider)
View attachment 1217805

Photos
Outdoor. Indicas, Sativas, and Hybrids alike. Nothing wrong with photos indoor. I just don't do it often. If I find a special pheno, I might take a cut and grow it indoor as a mom or for seed.

I have to admit, I nice big photo is a sight to behold.
(Swazi)
View attachment 1217806

As for potency, I doubt you'd notice between photos and autos. People who say different are the purists in the gang. And that's ok.
I grew out boreal seeds co Afghani

Closest pic I can share that's close to its potential......I can't find boreal seeds anymore in vermont...sadface
28ABA8C0 F17E 4EA8 9314 1484F988549D
2C775A20 53EE 46CD 83C5 CE9D1572213A

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
100%. Accurate.
I don't want to add any fuel to the naysayers bench but I read a piece on auto's a while back saying that its hard to breed out the red head in a family....male & female can have a red headed child even though they or their family members don't have red hair, because somewhere in their lineage there was a red head that contributed to the gene pool.......Ruderalis genes don't disappear either and you can spend 3+ months growing a red head...lol

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
White Widow x jack here auto from 2016.....free seed w my kosher kush beans the year kosher took the cup.....please ignore my brother's singing

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
They have pretty good thc now a days but the main reason I see for indoor is you can get a higher DLI with a lower watt lamp because they aren't limited to 12 hours during flower.
I grew out that Autoflower and gave it to a recovering heroin addict because he said the one sample I gave him gave him great efficacy I see him a week later he wouldn't drive anymore wouldn't even ride his bike,so i ask,what's the matter? he goes I don't know what the hell you put in that plant but I can only walk when I'm on it. I was proud of that plant I got to get my hands back into some potent autos

BTW redheads taste better

Habosabin

Habosabin

Here is my 19 day auto freebie I’m growing. No idea even what breeder. I was experimenting with rockwool and this one survived. Lol. Hope it lives. I fimmed it a day or so ago. She’s a beast though. This is an 8x8x4 block.

I lost a few Ethos beans for whatever reason and went thru a few other freebies until I worked the RW out. This Gorilla Glue auto was my last freebie.

BFED1901 0A41 4CEF B235 7834B0E38AD4
Last edited:
OTCusp

OTCusp

I've grown photos once. Aamof I'm 2/3 through flower right now. But if I had to guess, I'd say turn around time is probably paramount benefit of autoflower.?.?.?

growsince79

growsince79

I've grown photos once. Aamof I'm 2/3 through flower right now. But if I had to guess, I'd say turn around time is probably paramount benefit of autoflower.?.?.?
That's what the seed companies want you to think. Grow a 80 day auto, or a 90 day photo. Not much time difference at all. Some autos take longer than photo's.

Top Bottom