Why do people grow autos?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OTCusp

OTCusp

I don't want to add any fuel to the naysayers bench but I read a piece on auto's a while back saying that its hard to breed out the red head in a family....male & female can have a red headed child even though they or their family members don't have red hair, because somewhere in their lineage there was a red head that contributed to the gene pool.......Ruderalis genes don't disappear either and you can spend 3+ months growing a red head...lol
I guess you can get lucky and grow a smoking fire crotch ho too.

Habosabin

Habosabin

If autos were the bomb and had weight and high THC you’d see multiple commercial operations running them. Period. They suck. I’ve never had one finish outdoors here despite claimed flower times. 3 years running a couple of freebies outdoors in the Land of the Midnight Sun. All 3 times had to finish them under light indoors. 3 times was enough. Weed was okay but not great. But I’m glad someone likes them for whatever reason.
No argument that photos are better overall. Lineage is cleaner, etc. Clones rule for commercial. Autos are more niche and good for specific applications. But I do want to check out Ethos and Memphis auto genetics eventually.

Zpotato

Zpotato

Modern Autoflowers aren't what you think. This guy grew a $1.50 auto seed into this 605 gram monster

BorealCuring

BorealCuring

Supporter
How long, germination to harvest??
In the ground at 5 weeks. Harvest Late August/1st week of September.

Here's the skinny on Boreal Lights Super Auto. Some start flowering at 5 weeks from seed. Especially the males. So you may think you have all the males, but there's always a few fuckers who spring up last minute so you have to watch them like a hawk. Risky in a guerilla grow. I suggest you grow them Outdoor. If you grow them indoor, keep them at 24/24 or 18/6 all the way to finish or they'll hermie. So don't flip or 12/12 them.

Male at 5 weeks from seed. Some females start flowering as well.

June 25th Stretch

One plant gave me 4lbs. Zero mold.

Mid August

Top Cola

One plant

Two plants

(That's a full size wheel barrow.)

----
Boreal Lights were bred as 70% Thailand Sativa (landrace) and 30% Afghani Indica (landrace) strain. Both Thai and Afghani parents are from original stock dating back to the days of Cheech and Chong. It grows like an Indica (bushy with strong short side branches) but stretches' like a Sativa.

THC/CBD: (Untested)
THC 20-25%.
CBD (Unknown).

Height:
They'll stretch and outrun anything you have next to it. 12 feet plus with a single 4 foot cola in a 3 gallon pot outdoor. 6-8 feet tall in the ground if you give it elbow room and will produce many short side branches holding large colas. Will grow 8-10+ feet in a 3 gallon pot (2 gallons of soil). The plant on the far left is 6' tall.

Yield:
3/4 pound in the wild.
1 pound in the wild with a prepared hole.
5 pounds in the ground in a prepared hole if you feed and water it regularly.

Harvest time:
Assuming you start indoor for 4 weeks and put it out June 1st, expect it to be ready mid August to September 1st. The lack of attention will speed them up so in the wild some will be ready as early as mid July.

Early Frost:
Medium. Expect them to hurt with ground frost in May. But they'll pull through.

Late Frost:
Bring it on! Fan leaves will take a beating after two sub zero nights, but the buds just tighten up a bit unharmed and begging to be harvested.

Mold:
Never. Extremely robust, even in hot humid weather during flowering.

Smell:
Males smell like Catnip plain and simple. Female Smell is strong and very sweet Pine with a note of pepper and fuel.

Smoke reports:
An awakening Sativa smoke without any anxiety effects at all. Happy, euphoric, creative/analytical initial high that mellows to a more reasonable relaxed state. No real couch lock but not racing either. Calming after the initial rush.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

I ran some autos that came out really nice. In fact, all the ones I ran came out at least decent. My plan was to run them in my veg tent and I did for a bit, and it worked good. All of the strains I used ended up being pretty big plants actually (2.5-3ft), and I got a couple to a few ounces of bud per plant. Ultimately, I switched back to photos after a couple grows because it's easier for me to control the plant size and thus plant count. I have actually just ordered another pack of my wife's favorite auto that I grew last time (west coast OG by Fast Buds) because she and others, keep asking if I can grow more of it. My wife has a med card here in Colorado so she can go to the distro and get plenty of good bud cheap (she goes monthly for variety) so it's not a savings thing for her. I don't think it would test higher than her distro weed, but autos aren't necessarily weak and shitty either. To each their own. Grow what you want, experiment with different plants, types etc. Or don't, it's up to you. Free will is a wonderful thing.

F

frogyrogy

Modern Autoflowers aren't what you think. This guy grew a $1.50 auto seed into this 605 gram monster

View attachment 1217932

Very nice! However, at this point, does he get this with every one of those $1.50 autoflower seeds? Consistently? I could, if I wanted to, with my photoperiods, and each of the free clones I cut will produce that just with a little longer veg cycle than I normally like to run . . . I typically aim for 6-8 ounces or less per plant, much more and the grow room gets crowded.

I'm not totally against an autoflowering plant, they definitely seem to be improving and will likely continue to do so. Anyone remember how much those first fems from Dutch Passion sucked? Feminized plants have come a long ways in the 20 or so years since . . . I would expect autos to do the same, with time and breeding.

11Ron11

11Ron11

I'm growing my first crop so by no means am I giving advise but I can tell you why I chose autoflowers.

1- grows quick
2- usually only grow 2 to 3 feet great for tent.
3- no change of lights 18/6 all the way through.

As a first time grower I think autoflower is the way to go it will teach you the fundamentals and then once you know the basics you can start growing regularly and perfect your training techniques as the plant will have the required time to heel.

Ultimately there is good and bad in everything.

Top Bottom