Why do people grow autos?

• Thread starter CannaDana
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
For me its not necessarily the potency thats the issue, although I do prefer over 25% genetics, its the fact I cant clone them. Seeds are expensive and once I find a pheno I really like, which I did recently, Im going to clone the shit out of it and go SOG and crop steering, or at least my attempt at it. But Id agree, most cant tell the difference unless you tell them.
They were just filler until the GSC now I see the potential. I still have a few of those seeds. I may try them outside this year and see what I get but I'm not giving up on Auto's because some bonehead thinks they suck....

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
i find lots of great things with autos, but one really nice thing is i can grow them in any tent to fill a space.

i can add thc to any i like to smoke. they might have other things i like besides thc, a taste or ive found some actually help with swelling, which helps my shoulder.

i make qwiso, so adding thc to anything i smoke is just as simple as opening a jar.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
For me its not necessarily the potency thats the issue, although I do prefer over 25% genetics, its the fact I cant clone them. Seeds are expensive and once I find a pheno I really like, which I did recently, Im going to clone the shit out of it and go SOG and crop steering, or at least my attempt at it. But Id agree, most cant tell the difference unless you tell them.
Prices are coming down with faux legalization everywhere. I just picked up a dozen fem seeds GSC, Plat/OG, Gelato, & GG#4 ...3 of each $60 Cdn $5 each Photo's. After cloning & harvesting a few times it gets pretty cheap.......Can't do that with Auto's @ $10 each & small yield.....more like toy plants but fun to watch grow.

DanC520

DanC520

Yeah. The cloning and reproduction is why I’m mainly doing photos atm. So hear ya there.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I've got some freebies that are autos. I thought about tossing them into the greenhouse. They would likely beat the mid Michigan wet weather come October if started in May. I've yet to grow one but I can see why some people might grow them ... especially outdoors.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
That's interesting. I'm growing GG4 right now, which came licensed from GG Strains in Las Vegas. The ones I have are clones, and they said that GG4 is a "clone only" strain. Maybe it's different in Canada?
These I have are probably home made by the guys I got them from.....I trust the guys that sold them to me. Very well known activist's in the legalization of pot in Canada... I don't like I just have to talk to them....

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've got some freebies that are autos. I thought about tossing them into the greenhouse. They would likely beat the mid Michigan wet weather come October if started in May. I've yet to grow one but I can see why some people might grow them ... especially outdoors.
I have a buddy in near Vancouver BC that was harvesting in August....I thought he was harvesting too early....I didn't understand auto's at the time...Started in May and finished mid August.......I've lost crops here in N.S. in October to Bud rot and even without the BR I get powdery mildew....I'm hoping to start a few mid May and get them out through July & Aug where they can get the full summer to grow.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
I have a buddy in near Vancouver BC that was harvesting in August....I thought he was harvesting too early....I didn't understand auto's at the time...Started in May and finished mid August.......I've lost crops here in N.S. in October to Bud rot and even without the BR I get powdery mildew....I'm hoping to start a few mid May and get them out through July & Aug where they can get the full summer to grow.
Exactly. This goes in line with what @Moshmen said. Grow autoflowers if your light cycle can’t be controlled. Allows growers that couldnt grow outdoors in their environment to finish a cycle.

indoors their great if light leaks are a concern.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We use our veg tent to grow autos. We can fit 6 inside this tent, our next one will fit 16. But we only use half the tent for the autos. The other half is photos only. When they're ready, they move to the flower tent and the next round is started. This way, we are never out of smoke and we will always have a good supply of auto bud for edibles.

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

That's interesting. I'm growing GG4 right now, which came licensed from GG Strains in Las Vegas. The ones I have are clones, and they said that GG4 is a "clone only" strain. Maybe it's different in Canada?
Not the person you were replying to but Lol, yeah its different in Canada, and the actual GG#4 is probably clone only. But that doesnt mean others dont have their own versions of it created by crossing into their own genes or self pollinating a female. Im not a breeder or anything, so dont quote me on this lol.

But as for seeds in Canada, its all grey market. The OCS for example, Ontario Cannabis Store, has like maybe 3 strains including white widow at any given time from what Ive seen and been told, havent checked in a while. The licensed producers here dont have any incentive to provide seeds for sale, so most end up getting their seeds from one of dozens of online seed shops, many of which are from outside of Canada. Ive seen all kinds of strains available from different shops with either different photos for the same strain, or different strains using the same photos. Its likely quite hard to get authentic genetics, Ive always wondered if the seeds being sold are what they say they are. And clones arent really available for sale here either, at least not ON.

Or its possible Pipecarver got his from a licensed producer or maybe the seed form is available here because everything is grey market, but its definitely a different kind of legal market here.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Maybe yours are clone only, but there are a good number of big name breeders offering up GG#4. They are copies of the original. I've got some growing now.

Not the person you were replying to but Lol, yeah its different in Canada, and the actual GG#4 is probably clone only. But that doesnt mean others dont have their own versions of it created by crossing into their own genes or self pollinating a female. Im not a breeder or anything, so dont quote me on this lol.

But as for seeds in Canada, its all grey market. The OCS for example, Ontario Cannabis Store, has like maybe 3 strains including white widow at any given time from what Ive seen and been told, havent checked in a while. The licensed producers here dont have any incentive to provide seeds for sale, so most end up getting their seeds from one of dozens of online seed shops, many of which are from outside of Canada. Ive seen all kinds of strains available from different shops with either different photos for the same strain, or different strains using the same photos. Its likely quite hard to get authentic genetics, Ive always wondered if the seeds being sold are what they say they are. And clones arent really available for sale here either, at least not ON.

Or its possible Pipecarver got his from a licensed producer or maybe the seed form is available here because everything is grey market, but its definitely a different kind of legal market here.

I've been purchasing my seeds for about 4 yrs now from a few different seed banks in Europe. I've yet to receive seeds that made me question their authenticity. We're not talking a strain or two. We're talking more like 30 different strains, all different yet aligned well both in picture and description of what I was purchasing. It may be where you're sourcing your seeds, but mine are legit. I'm certain of it after growing all those strains.

MyGrowYo

MyGrowYo

Seed legalization has gone all wrong in Canada. I’ve been trying to get seeds from some of these well known breeders in the industry and it’s still this back door e-transfer or pay in bitcoin situation, and your sold “novelty seeds”. Had to order from an American company that took my credit card and roll the dice with the border.
The places with seeds have the big names but it’s not from the original breeders.

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

Maybe yours are clone only, but there are a good number of big name breeders offering up GG#4. They are copies of the original. I've got some growing now.

I've been purchasing my seeds for about 4 yrs now from a few different seed banks in Europe. I've yet to receive seeds that made me question their authenticity. We're not talking a strain or two. We're talking more like 30 different strains, all different yet aligned well both in picture and description of what I was purchasing. It may be where you're sourcing your seeds, but mine are legit. I'm certain of it after growing all those strains.

Ok that might be right. Ive only relatively recently bought seeds online so my experience is limited as to how authentic some seed shops may be, which is why Ive tried to buy direct from a reputable breeder and have had good experiences. The first seeds I got actually grew out and looked just like the pic from the third party shop I got them from, and others since then have so far lived up to the claims of the places I bought them from. But I have to question for example the Godfather OG I recently acquired as Ive seen it under slightly different names, with differing THC levels depending on the shop and/or breeder, and I have to wonder how close each version is to the original strain.

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

GG #4 is clone only, but female plants can be "selfed" by taking a clone and treating it with silver thiosulfate or colloidal silver (and possibly other substances) to produce female pollen.

When breeding with it, people will want to know whether it's from the original clone or a selfed fem seed.

Timbo0716

Timbo0716

You can grow some monsters in coco. Feed those mama's and watch what happens. Grown huge Sweet Amnesia, zkittles, True Purple Haze just to mention a few. Good smoke, good variety but still love my photo's hands down.

sunwestgenetics

sunwestgenetics

What are the perks of growing Autoflowering cannabis seeds? Autoflowering cannabis seeds offer several advantages especially for beginners. The plants are small and compact thus occupies minimal spaces indoors. They also grow quickly and flower a lot faster than their photoperiod counterparts do.
What are the reasons for growing auto as opposed to photoperiod? It is just because it's easier? Or faster? Are there advantages? Is it just convenience? How do the genetics stack up? What is the market for autos?

Top Bottom