• Put it in fridge

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • What kind of marijuana?

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Smokey503ski

Smokey503ski

Freezing will help bring the water to the surface. Freeze and remove water. Repeat a few times.

bigjay420

bigjay420

My first run of butter. This look about right?
20141216 102444

john martin

john martin

How to make DANK edibles without nasty 'weed' taste:

Coconut oil highly recommended as it holds the most THC and is stable at very high temperatures. That, or butter (grass-fed ghee preferred). Both are stable at high temps, this is important.

1. Put butter and trim/nugs (ground or slightly ground, break any nugs up) in over-sized pot.
2. Add enough water to completely cover materials and then some.
3. Boil on medium-high for about 4 hours, adding water if needed to keep water line above materials.
4. Strain out trim/nugs.
5. Let water/oils reach room temp.
6. Place entire container with water/oils into fridge overnight.
7. When cold enough, all of the oils will solidify on top of water, remove the hardened oil/thc mix and set aside to cook with.
8. Throw out brownish left-over water.
9. Substitute your coconut oil / grass-fed ghee for any butter/oil in recipe of choice.
10. Make sure to use a recipe that calls for baking in oven at 350-450F. This will ensure the THC and all that is 'activated'.

Ice hash can be used instead of trim/nugs. BHO not recommended, doesn't seem to pack the same punch in edibles for whatever reason.

Using this water method will make the end result taste very good, not like weed. If it is still too strong, you can water down your coconut oil / ghee with more coconut oil / ghee to play with potency and taste.

Tips:
Do NOT use recipes that call for processed sugar, or the like. This will cause your insulin to spike and cause your liver to spend majority of its energy processing the insulin, and will prevent a great majority of the THC from being processed by your liver. This would result in a much less potent 'high', more like smoking a few joints, than an edible 'high' should be.

Avoid grains if possible, for the same reason as the processed sugar above. Coconut flour is a good substitute that will not cause insulin spike.

Avoid fruits in recipe for same reason, to lessor extent.

Last edited:
john martin

john martin

An example of superior recipe for taste, health, and potency:

"

makes 9-10 balls

1-1.5 cups unsweetened shredded coconut

1/4 cup raw honey or pure maple syrup

2 tbsp extra virgin coconut oil

1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

1/8 tsp unrefined salt

Combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until well blended. Place mixture in parchment lined container and refrigerate for about one hour to set. Once mixture is firm, remove and roll into small snack balls. These can be easily stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks or in the freezer for the long-term. For storage, it is helpful to separate stacked layers of balls with parchment paper to prevent sticking. They will melt if left out for too long, so keep cool if you are on the go.

"

http://blog.radiantlifecatalog.com/...ONaUCZ9_mN6I-DC1cM4b7JzTe-njZA&_hsmi=15327920

john martin

john martin

You can 'decarb' the dry herb in the oven as mentioned above, but with method I use there is no need. Less potency is lost when activating it in the oven, while it is already merged with the oil to protect it. Dry herb in the oven works, but looses some potency. Important thing is to reach high enough temperature to 'activate' the THC and other goodies. This is why an oil that is stable as high temp like coconut or ghee works best.

shemshemet

shemshemet

The newly accepted methods ditch the water completely. Read up on BadKat's edibles. Using water in the mix doesn't let the cannabinoids bind properly to the fat. It takes a MUCH longer cook using water to get the same effect (if they can even be achieved). Also there are claims that using water in the mix initially will pull out MORE chlorophyll to begin with (not sure I fall for that completely). I've made cannabis-oil many times and used the water method, no water method, butter, coconut oil, and soy lecithin.

You can try to wash your butter as described by many above. Take your butter, melt it into some water, harden the butter in the fridge, ditch the water. Do this a couple times and the taste will hopefully lessen. I've never been able to COMPLETELY rid the taste. I haven't tried making edibles with hash, and I would assume this is your safest method to get rid of taste.

Another way is to use capsules. Now you don't have to eat anything. Only drawbacks are that if you burp after taking the caps you will taste that same taste you despise. But it doesn't stick around like you are eating it. And don't have to swallow the nasty taste.

TL;DR:
DON'T use water when first processing the material.
DO wash the butter AFTER you've processed through your machine.
DO use gelatin capsules for a no taste experience (just don't burp :p)
DO use hash instead of trim/buds.
You WON'T ever really get rid of the taste using trim/buds.
TRY adding soy lecithin to the mix.

xPeacePipex

xPeacePipex

I always wash my butter 2 x minimal if using green material. Yuck - cant stand the taste of chlorophyll ridden butter.. I also fill my magic butter machine to the line with water when infusing with butter or oil.

john martin

john martin

Patient of mine tried using magic butter machine method, and used sunflower lecithin (which is like 9,000x healthier than GARBAGE TOXIC soy letchin (99% GMO likeliness) and even after several washes had WAY more chlorophyl than when starting with water.

I have sense realized the need to add the sunflower lecithin to the mix.

Yes, using water takes longer, but ends up with a much more concentrated end product. Only draw-back to using the water is time. The goodies all bind to the fats in the water and as long as you cook it long enough they will all bind.

+1 on capsules!

john martin

john martin

Magic butter method uses no water, when he changed to using water he got much more yield BTW and was also able to control the concentration and end result was barely green at all, can barely taste the weed.

shemshemet

shemshemet

http://www.badkatscannapharm.com/#!interesting-reading/c1la3

Patient of mine tried using magic butter machine method, and used sunflower lecithin (which is like 9,000x healthier than GARBAGE TOXIC soy letchin (99% GMO likeliness) and even after several washes had WAY more chlorophyl than when starting with water.

I have sense realized the need to add the sunflower lecithin to the mix.

Yes, using water takes longer, but ends up with a much more concentrated end product. Only draw-back to using the water is time. The goodies all bind to the fats in the water and as long as you cook it long enough they will all bind.

+1 on capsules!

I don't know much about soybean lecithin vs sunflower lecithin, but I do know any lecithin works. Not sure I can agree about the more concentrated end product. I haven't noticed a huge change in effect using water or not, but the theory behind not using water is much more convincing than using water.

john martin

john martin

Corn, Soy and Wheat are 99% likely to be GMO, and even if you find organic ones, they are 99% likely to have at least or much more than 1% contamination. This is linked to most the diseases floating around America today, believe it or not.

Even 101% organic bio-dynamic soy must either be fermented into Natto like the ancient Chinese (still do to this day), or digested first with some form of acid before being fed to both humans and chickens (this is why even organic chickens are nothing health wise when compared to free-range / wild chickens that are allowed to truly forage (In my belief, the way God intended)

On the other hand, sunflower lecithin contains tons of Vitamin D3, much like the form we get from the sun!

john martin

john martin

The only reason I mention the concentration part, is because when using the water, you get to decide how much oil is used. Using a system like the magic butter you are forced to use enough oil to saturate the plant, but the oil can (especially coconut oil) hold much more than it absorbs this way.

With the water, the water creates the contact points, and with time the oil will absorb all the good stuff.

Multiple washes (between long boiling sessions) yields some amazingly potent product. I'm talking 1 Tsp knocking seasoned smokers out for 12 hours straight.

You are correct though that any lecithen will have same effect. My point was only that soy lecithin will have side effects that are not neccesary. Also, people like me that their bodies have built up antibodies to gluten (protein in wheat) and the proteins in other grains (99% the same as in wheat) and the protein in dairy, which is the sugar, which when raw has enzymes and bacteria to help us digest, but processed dairy causes same issues... anyways it prevents proper digestion, thus reducing potency (in probably about 50+% of people in America)

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
when you use water almost all the chlorophyll gets trapped in the water and the thc (because it is fat soluble) will only get trapped in the butter leaving the butter with a slight green color and and will taste so much better

another thing to do is clarify butter before hand - without the milk solids, clarified butter can be kept for much longer without going rancid

clarified butter: Melt the butter slowly. Let it sit for a bit to separate. Skim off the foam that rises to the top, and gently pour the butter off of the milk solids, which have settled to the bottom. A stick (8 tablespoons) of butter will produce about 6 tablespoons of clarified butter.

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I have not but that sounds awesome - done a lot with coconut oil as well though

had to lay off the edibles myself - tend to make them way too strong and eat way too many - it is no bueno when your edibles give you the munchies and all you have in the house is more edibles

Last edited:
shemshemet

shemshemet

Corn, Soy and Wheat are 99% likely to be GMO, and even if you find organic ones, they are 99% likely to have at least or much more than 1% contamination. This is linked to most the diseases floating around America today, believe it or not.

Even 101% organic bio-dynamic soy must either be fermented into Natto like the ancient Chinese (still do to this day), or digested first with some form of acid before being fed to both humans and chickens (this is why even organic chickens are nothing health wise when compared to free-range / wild chickens that are allowed to truly forage (In my belief, the way God intended)

Not going to get into the GMO thing....but I don't think this is a valid argument at all. There is NO science to back ANY of this...

I will agree REAL free-range chicken is much better for the environment, our health, their health, etc. But the rules for free range are not really that great for the chicken!

With the water, the water creates the contact points, and with time the oil will absorb all the good stuff.

Yeah...not sure there is anything backing this. Why dilute a solvent? With water, that only hinders the process.

Multiple washes (between long boiling sessions) yields some amazingly potent product. I'm talking 1 Tsp knocking seasoned smokers out for 12 hours straight.

Washing the butter will not add any potency. You are not concentrating the solvent by washing. You are only getting rid of the chlorophyll (and possibly terpenes?).

My point was only that soy lecithin will have side effects that are not neccesary. Also, people like me that their bodies have built up antibodies to gluten (protein in wheat) and the proteins in other grains (99% the same as in wheat) and the protein in dairy, which is the sugar, which when raw has enzymes and bacteria to help us digest, but processed dairy causes same issues... anyways it prevents proper digestion, thus reducing potency (in probably about 50+% of people in America)

Again....not going to get into the gluten thing. Unless you have celiac disease, there is no evidence to support any of your claims. The whole gluten free thing is preposterous, and maybe just add some fiber and get rid of some carbs in your diet. Dairy isn't really a necessary food group and if it upsets your balance...don't eat it? Try some keifer.

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

How much ice hash to a lb of butter?
We've always used bud/trim. Very intrigued by the ice hash idea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom