Why does weed lose it’s smell over time?

• Thread starter durian
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
durian

durian

why does weed lose it’s smell over time? Is there any way to retain its ‘1wk post harvest smell’?

monkeymun

monkeymun

By retain I suppose you mean keep it fresh? It’s part of the curing process. The lovely aromas of fresh buds are a combination of a plethora of different volatile compounds such as monoterpenes and sequiterpenes. These compounds are constantly being released from pores in the trichomes/calyxs etc and re-synthesized by the plant. As your buds cure the plant obviously stops making them and they volatilize out.

OGONLY

OGONLY

Once it has reached its peak dryness (not too dry, not too wet either) place it in mason jars. I like to keep mine in a mostly dark spot. To even get more life out of it keep it in a cool spot, 60- 70 degrees or so.

I also use C vaults with great results. Google c vault.

Tuku

Tuku

So that’s why my wax oil doesn’t smell anything like the original bud. Pity.

Tuku

Tuku

Well I guess it’s not like they have any significant weight. The weight is in the non-volatiles and cannabinoids.

Supercharge

Supercharge

That’s not specifically true. They do have weight, all matter does, even air. It’s been mentioned before but I’m would think this could be solved by freeze drying weed. The cold temps would reduce volatile loss during the transition into the gas phase. I’m guessing a large amount of volatiles are lost just in the first week of drying. This would be measurable if someone actually bothered to do the experiment. Keep your weed cold, dry and air tight.

DarkSpark

DarkSpark

Bang on. Did a quick search and found this source. between a third and half of the volatiles are lost during standard ‘air’ curing. So you reckon freeze drying keeps most of your volatiles? What do you think the weight difference would be? I guess it’d be hard to extrapolate.

WeedGod

WeedGod

IMO weed grown correctly will out last weed with flaws o_O in smell,taste and potency me. Sometimes we as growers always think "ours" is the "best" no matter what:eek: News flash guys if your weed sucks after a week it's because it was grown SHITTY!:p
I've been humbled this past year smoking "others" herb that is "better" the funny thing is I've smoked multiple batches of these "others" grows and I can tell when it's a better batch but they can't...

way2green

way2green

[quoteI "Myco, post: 1296263, member: 49868"]@monkeymun is right on the button...

But hmm... I'm curious if all this talk recently about packaging with nitrogen gas could slow that process down a bit.[/quote]
Myco, i really wonder what is factual and what is independent BS claims. I too have read what u r referring. I wished I truly knew!

way2green

way2green

That’s not specifically true. They do have weight, all matter does, even air. It’s been mentioned before but I’m would think this could be solved by freeze drying weed. The cold temps would reduce volatile loss during the transition into the gas phase. I’m guessing a large amount of volatiles are lost just in the first week of drying. This would be measurable if someone actually bothered to do the experiment. Keep your weed cold, dry and air tight.
Coffee? Tea? I feel ya

way2green

way2green

Really? I bet u are over analyzing your weed. I bet u have peeps that think uvr crazy. Just saying I have been there and done that.

goliath

goliath

that’s crazy. i always thought when your buds dry its just water thats evaporating. ive weighed freshly harvested bugs before and after they have dried and you loose about 75-80 % of the original weight. i wonder what percentage of that is volatiles?

bluberri

bluberri

does that mean an old bud that’s been curing for months will be lighter than a freshly cured bud thats like a week old?

Top Bottom