Why I trim dry now. Don't believe the hype

• Thread starter Bubblehaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

AlterEgo860

wet vs dry trim.... DRY Is best for me.. by the way.. it really all depends on ur dry room temps and humidity .. u want to dry for atleast 8-10 days either way.. if u trim wet.. u need to try to slow down the dry in order to preserve the smell and improve taste..

DRY TRIMMInG is best because u only need to cure a week .. to get the same effects u would with a 3-4 week cure if u had dried to fast.

its all about a nice slowwwwwwwwwwww DRY

A

AlterEgo860

if u want to wet trim and get the same results as a dry trim.. I suggest trimming ur buds 3 days before u harvest.. trim them on the live plant.. giving it 3 days to heal.. so that u don't get the hay smell..

I pull all fans off 5 days before.. then 2 days later I go pull off the bigger leaves that have tons of trichomes.. and keep those for cooking.. then I keep my plants in the dark for 24-48 hours. n chop in the dark. or in the GREEN LIGHT.. to prevent any nutes or carbs go from roots to the plant..

wet trimming is the way people do it wen they know no better.. dry trimming makes for a much better product.

if your going to veg for 1-9 weeks.. and then flower from 7-14 weeks.. then cut and rush the dry and trim and curing process.

purpleberry

purpleberry

Sometimes its just what ever works for you and what you have to work with. Saying to dry in 40-60% RH is not very precise. That's a huge window and your going to get very different results in %40 vs 60% At %40 you could be trimming in 4 days at %60 you might be waiting 10 days.
I trim the big leaves, hang the branchs at 75 degrees and %45 rh for 3-4 days when they start to feel dry I set it for %50 Start trimming 6-7 days after chop and stick it on screens for a few more days until its ready to cure out in bags. Very simple, Fast and works for me. And I always have complete control of the temp and humidity so I know whats going on and how long it takes.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Purple, I believe I've been fairly precise about what ranges I prefer for drying and curing. I just can't remember if I've put them in this thread!
if u want to wet trim and get the same results as a dry trim.. I suggest trimming ur buds 3 days before u harvest.. trim them on the live plant.. giving it 3 days to heal.. so that u don't get the hay smell..
Interesting... that's a lot like how my indoor plants end up, and though I never thought about it... they never get the hay smell. Huh! Kewl! Keepin' that one in the new bag o' tricksies, too. :)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I pull all fans off 5 days before.. then 2 days later I go pull off the bigger leaves that have tons of trichomes..

I had some family friends come over to help me and they spent 3 days in the garden doing just that..
The big fans stayed outside! But, I decided I couldn't afford their help anymore:mad:
So anything with frost ended up in the bags with the buds for now:rolleyes:
The leaves will fall off eventually.. :)

BrianDirt

BrianDirt

Good reads, any differnce in dry time and flavor in removing the fan leaves vs not. Nothing like loveing a plant for four months then rushing the last two weeks by chopping the hell out of your plant and drying too fast to rush to put $$$ tags on it.

clockworx

clockworx

I have never noticed a difference in smell from wet or dry trimming, no matter what trim method people use when the plant is slow dried and cured it goes through decarboxylation which rids the buds of "green smell" ...Its almost impossible to control rh in a drying room to a solid number, even with meters and dehumid/humid machines running its going to fluctuate 5-10% .... the only thing people with knowledge can do to help is give a range and have new growers aim for something near it. Unless your in a lab setting.,.what's important is people understanding why things work and why other things don't...

clockworx

clockworx

Keeping the smell strong all comes down to how slow you dry, smell is in the terpenoids and heat which causes fast drying also evaporates oils which is why its important to back the lights off near the end of flowering and harvest just before lights come on, both of those things will promote stronger smell in the final product as well as not damaging the trichomes which keep the essential oils safe. Damage to trichomes is like smashing a bottle of perfume, the scent is released and will soon be gone....

A

AlterEgo860

pulling fans off before harvest is great.. clockworx is correct.. I slow dry and have amazing results.. pretty much I make sure that it takes at the very least 10 days.. ive had some go as long as 21 days to dry enough to get into jars but im really picky about my dry and cure technique.. I wont even pull tester bud off anymore.. not worth it.. harvest depending on trichomes.. and If needed I harvest the colas.. and leave the rest for a week.

shaggyballs

shaggyballs

Just sharing my limited knowledge !

Hang dry for bag appeal (round buds)
I take most leaves off especially the ugly little tips but if it is really dank I leave on a little more, I may trim the crystal covered leaves later when i am feeling picky.

Moist trim makes black hash while dry trim makes blond,I prefer black.
Trimming dry will cause trichomes to fall off (keif).
B
ut wet trimming will rupture some due to friction. (scissor hash)
Just collect it!!!
No loss either way.

I am old school!!!
I always heard to trim the fan leaves hang the whole plant and leave the roots on too.
(If you crushed your big roots you will see they are very very smelly)
Leave the smaller leaves they will wrap around the buds an protect them from friction.
But I don't leave the roots on. I cut the leaf tips too.
I also leave the plant as intact as possible to trim effectively and help with a slow during process.
Could anyone .....Please provide scientific references for your reason for leaving leaves on and how it enhances terpenoids and or cannabinoids.
I understand they help protect the buds but the rest is unclear.
I have found that too much dry leaves around and you will have a dry leaf smell.
I agree a quick thorough trim is sufficient.(Mostly fan leaves)

Control drying speed (humidity temp. ect.)
If you have to burp too many times you put them away too early.

The plastic bag is a fair idea provided that it is not off gassing.

I still can't decide if I like my bud dried to perfection in one shot controlling moisture content for a min. of 10 days....no burping,till nearly crispy all the way inside.

Or I dry till crispy on the outside all of the stem close to a snapping, then burp 3 times max every few days.
At that point they will be so dry they do not get wetter in the jar.( I use folgers containers as they will breath very slowly for a long slow cure)
If left in that container long enough it will get bone dry.

I would like to add moist bud tastes better....but dry bud has a enhanced effect!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Shaggy, I used to use black plastic bags to line my salt-water mixing containers. Wanna know why? They're chemically inert. I figure if it's ok for the corals & inverts, it's ok for me.

You get kief when dry trimming *if* the bud is too dry. Make sure it's not too dry and you won't lose much kief at all.

I can't provide scientific evidence for personal preference.
Good reads, any differnce in dry time and flavor in removing the fan leaves vs not. Nothing like loveing a plant for four months then rushing the last two weeks by chopping the hell out of your plant and drying too fast to rush to put $$$ tags on it.
I look at it the same way I do meat. What's more flavorful--meat cooked on the bone, or boneless? IME, meat cooked on the bone is far more flavorful than meat that's been taken off the bone prior to cooking. Kind of like how bread that takes a long, slow rise is more flavorful than quick-rise bread. Cheese? Wine? Beer..? Some things seem to please us more/better if they're allowed to take some time to come to fruition or become ripe, whatever the process is.

The fans provide cover & protection at the very least, and the fact that I can loupe any bud and find no broken trichomes I think is some evidence for that.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I pull all the fan leaves off and toss them. I strip the buds off the stalks and run them through the TrimPro Rotor than in the dryer for 8 to 10 days. I than put the dry buds in a glad kitchen catcher and blow it up like a balloon. I twist the top to keep the air in and than give it a good shaking and that knocks off the excess sugar leaf than I dump it on a 1/4 steel screen to separate the buds from the leaf. I bag or jar the buds and make oil from the sugar leaf. That's it that's all.

outnin

outnin

yes, i also just discovered this I am amazed no more wet clip for me .
buds from the same plant were wet and dry trimmed and much to my surprise the dry one were way-way better with a sweetness and leathery texture that is much better than wet clipped bud.

So I would like to first say before a few months ago I thought I knew the best way to trim and dry. Then I proved myself wrong.
Trimming the herb at harvest has always been my method, which I loved. After moving to Colorado with low humidity I started having problems drying. Over drying was common and putting it away with some moisture was not an option. So I have a 40 day strain 8 ball kush and it finished way before expected the seed company said it was a 60 day strain. Having to pull it 20 days early and not having time to trim. I just hung it up whole planning on trimming it later. Everyone told me it was hard to trim dry and I was wasting my time. Well they were wrong it trimmed great and I.M.O. it was easier by far. The trim made better bho and the bud didn't over dry at all. So here is some of the things I learned and noticed.

Trimming dry
1) If the bud is not dry enough before you start it seems impossible.
Wait until the leaves fall off with just a touch. Usually takes 7- 9 days for me.
2) I only use scissors to cut stems . I keep them closed and knock the leaves off.
3) Trimming like this gives you time to reset your grow, so while you are trimming your next crop is growing.
4) Also the buds get handled allot less. Being bag ready when done if you are not curing.
5) We can make oil the day we trim.
6) For reasons I don't understand the bud doesn't over dry as easy with this method. Even after bagged.
7) After its dried if you cannot finish trimming in the same day we put it in big plastic containers with lids and it stays perfect while we trim all week.
8)The buds look allot less man handled this method and we seem to get a better over all looking bud.

3 months ago if you would have told me to trim dry I would have laughed at you . I was wrong all things considered it has turned into a great help. I don't have to hire a bunch of people to hurry up and trim so we can reset. I don't have 3,000 hanging branches everywhere just huge whole plants hanging. Anyone wanting to try this don't believe the hype its just as easy if not easier than wet trimming.

So I had two different containers stashed one dry trimmed one wet kept in the same kind of jars. Popped them open the other day and the dry trim one was still spongy and the stem still bent some. The wet trim one was crispy real crispy. Just my experience hope it helps someone out.

N

Nog

I find dry buds are too slow to trim, and you can't do as good a job.

I find it's easier when the buds are wet and the leaves are standing up straight, sticking out of the buds.

When dry they are lying along the buds, makes it harder.

frebo

frebo

I find dry buds are too slow to trim, and you can't do as good a job.

I find it's easier when the buds are wet and the leaves are standing up straight, sticking out of the buds.

When dry they are lying along the buds, makes it harder.

These days in the west you could be sitting on that quickly trimmed weed for a while. Competition has gotten to be quite keen. I am expecting a GLUT of weed this fall and the price to drop considerably. I drive by 8' fences everyday with up to 100 plants that are taller than the fence.

N

Noob grower

These days in the west you could be sitting on that quickly trimmed weed for a while. Competition has gotten to be quite keen. I am expecting a GLUT of weed this fall and the price to drop considerably. I drive by 8' fences everyday with up to 100 plants that are taller than the fence.
With the state system hopelessly clogged (OLCC doesn't have enough inspectors to certify labs), there will be a glut of product, but no a way to get them into the "legal" sales chain. Once again, legislative incompetence is forcing people to turn to the black market. We now have producers, licensed by the state, that have invested hundreds of thousands of dollars into their operations. The government requires certification, but has not provided the resources to certify the labs. Thanks Ginny!

Slap

Slap

So I would like to first say before a few months ago I thought I knew the best way to trim and dry. Then I proved myself wrong.
Trimming the herb at harvest has always been my method, which I loved. After moving to Colorado with low humidity I started having problems drying. Over drying was common and putting it away with some moisture was not an option. So I have a 40 day strain 8 ball kush and it finished way before expected the seed company said it was a 60 day strain. Having to pull it 20 days early and not having time to trim. I just hung it up whole planning on trimming it later. Everyone told me it was hard to trim dry and I was wasting my time. Well they were wrong it trimmed great and I.M.O. it was easier by far. The trim made better bho and the bud didn't over dry at all. So here is some of the things I learned and noticed.

Trimming dry
Wait until the leaves fall off with just a touch. Usually takes 7- 9 days for me.
2) I only use scissors to cut stems . I keep them closed and knock the leaves off.
3) Trimming like this gives you time to reset your grow, so while you are trimming your next crop is growing.
4) Also the buds get handled allot less. Being bag ready when done if you are not curing.
6) For reasons I don't understand the bud doesn't over dry as easy with this method. Even after bagged.
7) After its dried if you cannot finish trimming in the same day we put it in big plastic containers with lids and it stays perfect while we trim all week.
8)The buds look allot less man handled this method and we seem to get a better over all looking bud.

3 months ago if you would have told me to trim dry I would have laughed at you . I was wrong all things considered it has turned into a great help. I don't have to hire a bunch of people to hurry up and trim so we can reset. I don't have 3,000 hanging branches everywhere just huge whole plants hanging. Anyone wanting to try this don't believe the hype its just as easy if not easier than wet trimming.

So I had two different containers stashed one dry trimmed one wet kept in the same kind of jars. Popped them open the other day and the dry trim one was still spongy and the stem still bent some. The wet trim one was crispy real crispy. Just my experience hope it helps someone out.

Hung mine after dipping roots in water to remove most of the dirt, roots and all, to help it dry slower, because of temps.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Trimming dry

Okay since somebody breathed life into this old thread I looked at the first post and I got to say imo there's no way that 8-Ball Kush is a 40-day strain

I took the best out of five plants and grew it for 3 years or so and none of them finished in 40 days, threw away the grow logs so I can't say exactly but it was probably closer to 9 or 10 weeks; I've still got a jar or so of it in my head stash, it's not a 40-day plant, not even sure if there is such a thing as a legitimate 40 day strain?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom