Will GH PH Down & Up kill off bennies in rhizosphere in DWC?

• Thread starter Thegreywizard
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Remember the source of acid matters in the chemical reaction department. The ph it creates is the part that can benefit or hurt the plants. It's not the source of acid that hurts the plants it the concentration after being added and the resulting ph

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
If I am not mistaken, urea is a major component of DEF fluid for use in modern diesel exhaust systems. They have to regenerate something in the exhaust periodically to keep them running clean. So maybe you should confine its use to the diesel strains. LOL!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If I am not mistaken, urea is a major component of DEF fluid for use in modern diesel exhaust systems. They have to regenerate something in the exhaust periodically to keep them running clean. So maybe you should confine its use to the diesel strains. LOL!
They use sulfuric acid for batteries... I think youbwere joking but honestly ppl need to stop looking at the other uses for stuff and saying it's bad because it's used in this or that. Urea is a good source of nitrogen for soil grows... not so much hydro that often lack the bacteria to break it down.

Urea is used in diesel to clean the form of nitrogen.... that statement is no different than sayimg they use algae to clean some emissions from industrial plants so algae is bad... algae removes more carbon from the air in the world than trees do.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Case and point... arsenic is good for the body no?

I'm betting almost 100% of ppl say it's bad for you. Well surprise it's absolutely needed for the body and plays an important role. But in high amounts definitely not good for us.

Ppl have this need to think that if it's bad in one application it's bad period. Idk why in this day and age everything is black or white to ppl and they have lost the ability to use perspective to see that almost no answer is black or white.... the truth lies in the grey.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Case and point... arsenic is good for the body no?

I'm betting almost 100% of ppl say it's bad for you. Well surprise it's absolutely needed for the body and plays an important role. But in high amounts definitely not good for us.

Ppl have this need to think that if it's bad in one application it's bad period. Idk why in this day and age everything is black or white to ppl and they have lost the ability to use perspective to see that almost no answer is black or white.... the truth lies in the grey.

Public education destroyed peoples ability to think critically.

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
Yes, I was joking. Didn’t mean to miss lead anybody. Used big time in fertilizer. Seems to be a very versatile compound used in many different industrial and agricultural Applications. I didn’t mean to infer that there’s anything wrong with it. Maybe just a miss guided FYI. I’ll shut up.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes, I was joking. Didn’t mean to miss lead anybody. Used big time in fertilizer. Seems to be a very versatile compound used in many different industrial and agricultural Applications. I didn’t mean to infer that there’s anything wrong with it. Maybe just a miss guided FYI. I’ll shut up.
No need to shut up bro... you brought up a good talking point is all. I try to take them to make points and pass along information. These convos don't start without a beggining and are very beneficial to have 👍👍👍 I wasn't directly referring you in particular and wasn't sure if you were joking. Just thought it was a good opportunity to have this conversation.

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

Sulfuric and phosphoric will give you the most stability if you have a proper buffer (alkalinity)

Ph up can be many things. Most common is potassium bicarbonate. Silicate, hydroxides and carbonates also work.
Ok so what actual products do you suggest to adjust PH in hydro/DWC?

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

Unfortunately, I have to use tap water for the first rip or two, the person who's house we're using doesn't want to waste water with RO.

I will be doing a live DWC rez.

I will let the tap water bubble for a couple days to get rid of chlorine before using it for the weekly rez change

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Unfortunately, I have to use tap water for the first rip or two, the person who's house we're using doesn't want to waste water with RO.

I will be doing a live DWC rez.

I will let the tap water bubble for a couple days to get rid of chlorine before using it for the weekly rez change
No need to bubble what I'd like to know is the ppm or even better the local water report. Just so I can see if it has an adequate buffer and what the makeup is that may need supplemented to jeep your ratios in a good place.

Which product are you using for bennies? Make sure it contains bacillus amyloliquefaciens

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

Ok I should be able to get out there in the next day or so and get some ppm readings.

I plan on using Great White.

Yes please explain.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok I should be able to get out there in the next day or so and get some ppm readings.

I plan on using Great White.

Yes please explain.
So it's likely your chlorine or more likely chloramine is around 1 ppm. This is almost negligible. Chlorine is actually a micronutrient.

If it's chloramine the bubbling it will do nothing. If it's chlorine then 24 hrs will be free of it.

But the concentration is not going to really affect your system much if at all. Unless the ppm is close to 4 and your making a nutrient tea I wouldn't worry much. But there is no problem bubbling chlorine out and it is a good practice non the less. If it's chloramine you will need to break the chemical bonds of the ammonia and chlorine. This is easily done with ascorbic acid (vitamin C) 1 gram will neutralize 1ppm of chloramine or chlorine in 100gal of water. So uts very cheap easy and effective and cuts down on the wasted time if you feel you want to.

Great white I have not used but hear good things about. Adding something like komplete or hygrozyme is also beneficial but it's also costly and I use at 1/4 the recommended dose.

So back to water source. Your not near a coastline are you?

If your water source is low in alkalinity the ph drift will happen quicker. Cannabis does well in a wide range of PH but it does not like wild ph swings. Can read hear for an explanation.

What nutrients are you planning on using?

Ph up is not worth buying in a bottle as there are better alternatives. They are usually just potassium bicarbonate or hydroxide diluted down and 10x the price of just buying it dry.

For ph down is best bought if you can find as phosphoric acid 85%. It's usually very cheap and concentrated so caution needs to be used. Acid to water never water to acid. It should be diluted 10x before adding to the res or you risk roots exposed to burning before it can mix.

So we want a 0.2-0.3 ph drift in 24 hrs this allows a range of availability for different nutrients and that amount of ph change in that time won't stress the plants.

The article I link explains how alkalinity is how we directly control ph drift. Basically the more alkalinity the more acid is needed to lower ph and the more stable it becomes because add more of either has less I.pact on the ratio than if we had a small alkalinity and small amount of acid. But there is a happy medium.

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

Ok thanks for all of that info, you've been a great help in many threads!

So for chloramine, just get some pure vitamin C powder offline or from the drugstore?

Is there a PH Up product you can suggest that is just potassium bicarbonate? I can get this in a dry powder right?

For PH Down, I've found this phosphoric acid 85%:

But is phosphoric acid 85% available in a dry form?

Is this stuff easy to dose? I assume just a couple of drops per gallon/5 gallons will be enough?

I do not live by the coast, but the great lakes.

My nutrient plan for DWC is:

Jacks 321
Great White
Grow Genius Mono-silicic acid
Cutting Edge Solutions Sour Dee
Powdered Fulvic Acid
Amino Acid powder (at the proper time)
B-vitamins (at the proper time)
Enzyme product - I haven't narrowed this one down yet as I'm still doing research. I know Hygrozyme is a good product, but others have also been suggested.
Kelpak during veg
dry kelp during flower
batswel during flower
Bloom Booster (probably Jacks)
https://www.amazon.com/Phosphoric-Acid-High-Purity-1000ml/dp/B009S05Z2Q

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok thanks for all of that info, you've been a great help in many threads!

So for chloramine, just get some pure vitamin C powder offline or from the drugstore?

Is there a PH Up product you can suggest that is just potassium bicarbonate? I can get this in a dry powder right?

For PH Down, I've found this phosphoric acid 85%:

But is phosphoric acid 85% available in a dry form?

Is this stuff easy to dose? I assume just a couple of drops per gallon/5 gallons will be enough?

I do not live by the coast, but the great lakes.

My nutrient plan for DWC is:

Jacks 321
Great White
Grow Genius Mono-silicic acid
Cutting Edge Solutions Sour Dee
Powdered Fulvic Acid
Amino Acid powder (at the proper time)
B-vitamins (at the proper time)
Enzyme product - I haven't narrowed this one down yet as I'm still doing research. I know Hygrozyme is a good product, but others have also been suggested.
Kelpak during veg
dry kelp during flower
batswel during flower
Bloom Booster (probably Jacks)
Yeah just the pharmacy stuff. Potassium silicate can be used as up and yes all dry.
Ph down is almost always liquid unless citric acid.

That seems like an awful lot of products I would have a good read here bro. The more you add the more problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Phosphoric-Acid-High-Purity-1000ml/dp/B009S05Z2Q

Thegreywizard

Thegreywizard

Yeah just the pharmacy stuff. Potassium silicate can be used as up and yes all dry.
Ph down is almost always liquid unless citric acid.

That seems like an awful lot of products I would have a good read here bro. The more you add the more problems.

So just use something like GH Armor Si for my PH Up?

I thought silica dropped PH hard, that's why you are supposed to add it first?

Would using Potassium Silicate as my PH up be a problem with using my Grow Genius Mono-silicic acid?

Doesn't potassium silicate give calcium lockout if used too much?

I know it seems like a lot, and may drop something like B vitamins, but a lot of those will only be used at certain times.

I've been reading that ballin on a budget thread and has been great info. But there are still a few additives I'm really wanting to use.

Why is GH PH Down so popular for hydro, but because of the citric acid isn't the best choice? You would think they would drop that out of the ingredients?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So just use something like GH Armor Si for my PH Up?

I thought silica dropped PH hard, that's why you are supposed to add it first?

Would using Potassium Silicate as my PH up be a problem with using my Grow Genius Mono-silicic acid?

Doesn't potassium silicate give calcium lockout if used too much?

I know it seems like a lot, and may drop something like B vitamins, but a lot of those will only be used at certain times.

I've been reading that ballin on a budget thread and has been great info. But there are still a few additives I'm really wanting to use.

Why is GH PH Down so popular for hydro, but because of the citric acid isn't the best choice? You would think they would drop that out of the ingredients?
Yeah you can use potassium bicarbonate and only will need a tiny amount if any depending on alkalinity of tap. It's more than like good.

Silicate raise ph alot. When added to water often over 10.

Latest posts

Top Bottom