Winterizing To Purify Rso

• Thread starter DGP
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DGP

DGP

What exactly is filtered out of the alcohol when you do the winterizing step. The process is to put the alcohol solution in the freezer for a day or so and then cold filter through a coffee filter in the freezer keeping it cold the whole time. The stuff that comes out looks really awful. I am just curious if it is mostly chlorphyl or just other plant material that is not needed?

Any suggestions on how to make RSO cleaner?

I currently farm very carefully and am not using any pesticides/fungicides at all. If I need some help with bugs during past grows I have been going to good bugs and then OMRI/KIND rated natural pesticides only when absolutely needed.

Thanks!

DP

Winterized

Last edited:
Natural

Natural

Freeze everything (material and alcohol) separately before the wash. Then do a 30 second wash. Put that aside and do a 2nd and 3rd wash and keep them separate. That way you can see when the chlorophyl starts to emerge in the alcohol. Don't shake..stir. Not necessary to winterize.

DGP

DGP

The person that extracts for me uses ethenol that I provide. isn't ethenol polar?

The reason I asked for winterizing was because the clorophyl upsets my stomach (that's my assumption anyway).

thanks,

DP

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

water is not your friend.

think of it as doing whatever you can to freeze, remove, and separate the water from the oil.

DGP

DGP

Yes alcohol is polar..hence using quick washes to avoid chlorophyl. Pre-freezing also helps.

Got it. The reason I wasn't sure about short washes is the extraction wasn't complete but now I see you are using multiple washes to look for the clorophyl coming out.

thanks,

DP

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
The reason I asked for winterizing was because the clorophyl upsets my stomach (that's my assumption anyway)

Does this mean anytime you eat vegetables like lettuce, celery, kale etc you get an upset stomach? They also have chlorophyll.

I'm just curious about how online it says chlorophyll in weed upsets people stomach. Yet people eat vegetables and plants with chlorophyll all the time.

I think this is just another myth.
I've eaten 40+ fresh cannabis leaves at once full of live fresh chlorophyll and if anything it only made my farts smell like straight up chronic.

And I've got a very sensitive stomach.
I'd like to believe it's another compound in cannabis causing the upset stomach.

(Just my opinion)

Sorry I didn't add anything constructive to this thread

Natural

Natural

Does this mean anytime you eat vegetables like lettuce, celery, kale etc you get an upset stomach? They also have chlorophyll.

I'm just curious about how online it says chlorophyll in weed upsets people stomach. Yet people eat vegetables and plants with chlorophyll all the time.

I've eaten 40+ fresh cannabis leaves at once full of live fresh chlorophyll and if anything it only made my farts smell like straight up chronic.

I'd like to believe it's another compound in cannabis causing the upset stomach.

(Just my opinion)

Most people are sensitive to chlorophyl. Some can tolerate it..even juice raw canna. To me canna oil is hard to digest in it's purest form..add in chlorophyl and it's much worse. Also..canna leaves are very bitter like kale..not sweet like garden lettuce.
It really depends on the person.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

What exactly is filtered out of the alcohol when you do the winterizing step. The process is to put the alcohol solution in the freezer for a day or so and then cold filter through a coffee filter in the freezer keeping it cold the whole time. The stuff that comes out looks really awful. I am just curious if it is mostly chlorphyl or just other plant material that is not needed?

Any suggestions on how to make RSO cleaner?

I currently farm very carefully and am not using any pesticides/fungicides at all. If I need some help with bugs during past grows I have been going to good bugs and then OMRI/KIND rated natural pesticides only when absolutely needed.

Thanks!

DP

View attachment 634421
Winterizing will greatly improve thde taste of RSO.

After the cannabis has been. Strained out of the liquid put the liquid back in the freezer for 6-12 hours.

THR clorophyll fats and lipids will freeze solid. Filter the liquid inside the freezer. You dong want that stuff to melt again and pass through the filter.

Evaporate off the alcohol and you will have a concentrate that can be used every way RSO is used plus you will have some nice shatter or pull and snap you can dab.

If you use 99% isopropyl you will get a much higher yield than Everclear.

When i make QWEHO (Quick Wash Everclear Hash oil) my yield is 12-14%

When i make QWISO (Quick Wash ISO Hash oil) with 99% isopropyl my yield is 17.2-24.5%. Thats like 50-100% more yield.

I think 99% ISO gives you a higher yield because there is much less water in it.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
Most people are sensitive to chlorophyl. Some can tolerate it..even juice raw canna. To me canna oil is hard to digest in it's purest form..add in chlorophyl and it's much worse. Also..canna leaves are very bitter like kale..not sweet like garden lettuce.

Interestingly, chlorophyll is very similar to human blood. the center element in chlorophyll is magnesium, whereas the center element in blood is iron.
Chloro

I know they aren't identical.
But I didn't realise they were similar.

I need to start taking chlorophyll supplements again.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

But if you winterize and filter that CRAP out much better flavor.

When i smoke BHO or RSO I cough like crazy for 15-30 seconds.

When i smoke my winterized QWISO if never mskes me cough.

Thats why i say I prefer smoking QWISO to BHO.

Don't let your QWISO get too hot of you will destroy the Terpenes. I try to keep my temp under 130 degrees Fahrenheit.

Natural

Natural

Winterizing will greatly improve thde taste of RSO.

After the cannabis has been. Strained out of the liquid put the liquid back in the freezer for 6-12 hours.

THR clorophyll fats and lipids will freeze solid. Filter the liquid inside the freezer. You dong want that stuff to melt again and pass through the filter.

Evaporate off the alcohol and you will have a concentrate that can be used every way RSO is used plus you will have some nice shatter or pull and snap you can dab.

If you use 99% isopropyl you will get a much higher yield than Everclear.

When i make QWEHO (Quick Wash Everclear Hash oil) my yield is 12-14%

When i make QWISO (Quick Wash ISO Hash oil) with 99% isopropyl my yield is 17.2-24.5%. Thats like 50-100% more yield.

I think 99% ISO gives you a higher yield because there is much less water in it.
Fats and lipids..I agree..even large particles of leaf matter. But once the green is in the oil, freezing/filtering won't remove it.
Also RSO is for oral meds and should be at least partially decarboxylated

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Got it. The reason I wasn't sure about short washes is the extraction wasn't complete but now I see you are using multiple washes to look for the clorophyl coming out.

thanks,

DP
I do a single Wash lasting 85-90 seconds then winterize the liquid go get rid of any clorophyll with fats lipids and solids.

I get 17.2-24.5% yields.

Once i had some way too old buds that had dried out (had fallen 2 1/2-3 behind a drawer 2 1/2-3 years earlier eith buds that were completely dried out i turned them into QWISO and STILL had a yield of 12%.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Fats and lipids..I agree..even large particles of leaf matter. But once the green is in the oil, freezing/filtering won't remove it.
Yes the clorophyll once it is frozen and strained through a coffee filter the solid bits of clorophyll fats lipids and solids will be filtered out of the liquid. I guarantee it.

I wish the mobile version of tge website permited me to send pictures i have on file but it only works with the camera and never shows my pictures in my galery.

PM me and send me your e mail address abd will ne happy to send you somd pictures i have on file with beautiful yellow liquid before purging, and final photoz of extracts done with 99% ISO, and others extracted with Everclear.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

(Just my opinion)

You forgot sonething very important.

The vegetables go to the stomach not the lungs.

The cannabinoids are a problem breaking down. Add the clorophyll and that gives you the straw that broke the camels back or upsets the stomach. In this case.

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
You forgot sonething very important.

The vegetables go to the stomach not the lungs.

The cannabinoids are a problem breaking down. Add the clorophyll and that gives you the straw that broke the camels back or upsets the stomach. In this case.

Didn't forget. The Original poster I was responding to said the chlorophyll upsets their stomach.

The reason I asked for winterizing was because the clorophyl upsets my stomach (that's my assumption anyway).

It sounds like this person is more interested in eating it.

Last edited:
Two.Bears

Two.Bears

Yes alcohol is polar..hence using quick washes to avoid chlorophyl. Pre-freezing also helps.
But winterizing the liquid helps TREMENDOUSLY.

I would rather smoke QWISO any day than BHO.

Never had any luck pressing Rosin. All i got was burned buds 2nd degree burn and 0 Rosin.

Two.Bears

Two.Bears

I flat guarantee tge clorophyll will be filtered out in the Winterizing.

Clorophyll binds with the bit of water in THR 99% ISO of the water in Everclear freeze solid and hang up in the coffee filter if you filter tge liquid INSIDE the freezer.

PM me with your email address and I will send toy pictures afyer winterizing and I dare you to point out any green in the beautiful yellow liquid.

DGP

DGP

My RSO does get decarbed. I don't know why it upsets my stomach but it is greatly reduced when I have it Winterized. One person suggests mixing it with coconut oil and using soy lecithin as an emulsifier to make the uptake of the oil better and more consistant. Not sure if this works but I know if I take some fatty food like peanut butter at the same time as my RSO it seems to be more effective. However, when it does upset my stomach it is just a passing thing usually gone in 15 minutes or so and it is well worth it to get all the medicinal effects.

Thanks!

DP

Top Bottom