WW from ilgm about 5 weeks into flower.

• Thread starter Perrin6363
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Perrin6363

Perrin6363

I never considered that some of that amber may have been from the heat stress last week that caused it to foxtail. I was going through the close up videos and more pics that I hadn't posted and there was still a good bit of clear trichomes. The pics I posted prob didn't represent the whole as much as it could. But I've been picking buds off the bottom for more than a few days now and drying them in the oven. Even those have been getting me stoned. It's not super easy getting close up pictures. I like the idea of a trellis net, but I hate not being able to move the plants around and check them out. I felt like cutting it down was the first time I got to see the majority of it. It's not smelling in there too much but I think that's bc I've got it so cold. I'm just thrilled to have made it this far. And even more excited about this next round.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

I never considered that some of that amber may have been from the heat stress last week that caused it to foxtail. I was going through the close up videos and more pics that I hadn't posted and there was still a good bit of clear trichomes. The pics I posted prob didn't represent the whole as much as it could. But I've been picking buds off the bottom for more than a few days now and drying them in the oven. Even those have been getting me stoned. It's not super easy getting close up pictures. I like the idea of a trellis net, but I hate not being able to move the plants around and check them out. I felt like cutting it down was the first time I got to see the majority of it. It's not smelling in there too much but I think that's bc I've got it so cold. I'm just thrilled to have made it this far. And even more excited about this next round.

The smells are going to make you think you did something wrong. For me there seemed to be very little smell and then days of a very "grassy oh shit I fucked it all up smell" and it is completely normal. It is chlorophyll leaving the plant and it is a good thing. I suspect fast drying by dispensaries and also using auto-flowers, cause them to have that "hay" taste. You won't have that and after a few days dry you likely won't smell anything. It isn't until you start to trim and cure them that the terps will be more evident and smell real nice.. Also don't sweat the temps and rh moving so long as they stay within your window. The RH in the room will be higest by a long-shot the 1st night because of how much moisture is in the still fresh flowers. If you don't dry long enough, you can always dry longer but you can't add moisture back if dry for too long. Shoot for the 7-12 day dry but don't go for too long. Some say wait for the branches to "snap" and give off that distinct sound but I wouldn't go by that simply because I over-dried all 4 plants and I could get only 1 branch to break like I was waiting for. If you have a moisture meter for soil I've heard you can use it and I think when there is 12%ish moisture is when you move to cure. Keep it up bud, you got this and I hear ya about next round. It is that time again

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

The smells are going to make you think you did something wrong. For me there seemed to be very little smell and then days of a very "grassy oh shit I fucked it all up smell" and it is completely normal. It is chlorophyll leaving the plant and it is a good thing. I suspect fast drying by dispensaries and also using auto-flowers, cause them to have that "hay" taste. You won't have that and after a few days dry you likely won't smell anything. It isn't until you start to trim and cure them that the terps will be more evident and smell real nice.. Also don't sweat the temps and rh moving so long as they stay within your window. The RH in the room will be higest by a long-shot the 1st night because of how much moisture is in the still fresh flowers. If you don't dry long enough, you can always dry longer but you can't add moisture back if dry for too long. Shoot for the 7-12 day dry but don't go for too long. Some say wait for the branches to "snap" and give off that distinct sound but I wouldn't go by that simply because I over-dried all 4 plants and I could get only 1 branch to break like I was waiting for. If you have a moisture meter for soil I've heard you can use it and I think when there is 12%ish moisture is when you move to cure. Keep it up bud, you got this and I hear ya about next round. It is that time again
Man I never even saw this reply. I laughed when you mentioned the smell thing. I guess it's a pretty typical reaction. I just kept telling myself, "I'll do better next time", but yeah when I mess with the buds the smell is amazing! I came to update that my temps and rh have both stayed within 60-65. The rh does sometimes get up to 67% for a minute, I don't know why. Is it the dehumidifier not working as well for a min, maybe defrosting itself. It's not a big deal I just don't understand. I've been picking off the little buds for a couple days now and drying them in the oven. B I'm out of pot. It's hard to judge bc I'm smoking those small under developed buds. The ww is fucking awesome. The AK I don't know. Like I said the buds seem under developed.
So just so I understand this right, bc I think I was following everything you were saying about not drying too much. Basically when I think they're dry enough I can put them in a jar with a hygrometer and see what they're resting at, which should be somewhere around 62%? If they feel wet or clump together real bad they're prob still to wet. Or if the hygrometer says they're too wet I can just hang them again. Better to get them to early than too late. Is that right about them resting at 62% when jarred?

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Man I never even saw this reply. I laughed when you mentioned the smell thing. I guess it's a pretty typical reaction. I just kept telling myself, "I'll do better next time", but yeah when I mess with the buds the smell is amazing! I came to update that my temps and rh have both stayed within 60-65. The rh does sometimes get up to 67% for a minute, I don't know why. Is it the dehumidifier not working as well for a min, maybe defrosting itself. It's not a big deal I just don't understand. I've been picking off the little buds for a couple days now and drying them in the oven. B I'm out of pot. It's hard to judge bc I'm smoking those small under developed buds. The ww is fucking awesome. The AK I don't know. Like I said the buds seem under developed.
So just so I understand this right, bc I think I was following everything you were saying about not drying too much. Basically when I think they're dry enough I can put them in a jar with a hygrometer and see what they're resting at, which should be somewhere around 62%? If they feel wet or clump together real bad they're prob still to wet. Or if the hygrometer says they're too wet I can just hang them again. Better to get them to early than too late. Is that right about them resting at 62% when jarred?

Yup you exactly right. Just don't try them "too" much. Not dry enough, no problem and can dry for longer but if the moisture depletes and you shoot past the needed mositure content needed deep in the bud to actually have a cure, there is no adding it back to "kick start" the cure so to speak. This is just shit I read and what I learned from 1st grow though. People say boveda packs work well but more for maintaining proper rh but I was told also they shouldn't be used and can strip terps. The key is to err on side of stopping the dry sooner than later, so can be assured you can even try to cure it.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Yup you exactly right. Just don't try them "too" much. Not dry enough, no problem and can dry for longer but if the moisture depletes and you shoot past the needed mositure content needed deep in the bud to actually have a cure, there is no adding it back to "kick start" the cure so to speak. This is just shit I read and what I learned from 1st grow though. People say boveda packs work well but more for maintaining proper rh but I was told also they shouldn't be used and can strip terps. The key is to err on side of stopping the dry sooner than later, so can be assured you can even try to cure it.
I'm only asking this bc you've been steadily helping out and figure you don't mind. But on the day it's done drying I'm just pulling it down, trimming what I think needs trimmed off and jarring it up with the hygrometer. It'll most likely be after work for me so prob around 7pm. I don't know how long trimming takes but I figure I'll have the buds trimmed and in the jar no later than 10pm. Prob sooner. I read that you need to pay attention to the rh in the room your trimming in too. So I'll prob just trim in the drying room. Then that first night I'll honestly prob set an alarm to check them. Bc if they're too high I don't want them sitting all night molding. Then I'll probably work again the next day. Hope the jar is at 62% when i leave bc if not I'll have to leave them out all day while I work. Which could be too much. I bent a stem today. It didn't snap but it didn't bend. It creased. I showed my wife. She was like 🤷‍♀️. They're coming along though! Thank you for indulging my over thinking. Man I just like to plan things out. Nothing feels better than a well executed plan.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Of course I don't mind and crazy to think I've been helpful somehow as a 1st time grower but right on 🤗 way I see it is we are all on the same team and it is team pay it forward! Yeah I researched shit 6 ways from Sunday before started but it was the help from others here that meant the most. Sometimes reassurance goes a long way. I think you are in good shape and going to have nice easy slow dry and perfect cure. Stay strong

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Yes exactly. Put them in Jar and overnight you will know where they are. If in the morning they say 65% then just take them out and let them breathe for 15 minutes then jar them again until they rest between 58%-62%. Just don't do what I did lol On my smallest plant, it was like 64% in the jar so I took out and put in paper bag over night to "sweat" them. In the morning when I jarred again I couldn't get over 40% lmfao
You have the concept down for sure. Just don't try them tooo long 💪

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

How big a deal is it if i accidentally left the rh in the drying tent around 73% all day?

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Depends on air flow you have goin on but just air it out asap once home. Just may make the dry take longer but doubt is a good practice from here on out

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Depends on air flow you have goin on but just air it out asap once home. Just may make the dry take longer but doubt is a good practice from here on out
Airflow was good, I just emptied the dehumidifier and forgot to turn it back on before I left for work. It got down to 59° without the extra warm air blowing out of it all day.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

I would be jarrin that shiz meow man. Make sure you don't try too long. You curing in bags or jars or?
I got bags coming tomorrow. I just went out there not even the smallest stems are snapping. Just still bending. Was going to put them in jars tomorrow and see what they read.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

Forget anything and everything now. You need to get them in even a baggie asap with a meter. I'm not talkin but like a 1/4oz and you will be able to tell where you are at. Do you have even some Tupperware? I would stop any and all humidity being added if any. Nice work on bags and jars incoming.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Forget anything and everything now. You need to get them in even a baggie asap with a meter. I'm not talkin but like a 1/4oz and you will be able to tell where you are at. Do you have even some Tupperware? I would stop any and all humidity being added if any. Nice work on bags and jars incoming.
I just got them in there now. About a 1/4 each in Tupperware. Wish I would've seen this last night. I think they still okay. Even the smallest stems aren't snapping. Starting to feel dry to the touch though. I'll get back to you in about 15 minutes. I've got 2 hygrometers in each Tupperware

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

I'll have to figure out something for drying. The room is so cold and it's so hot outside that the windows are dripping condensation down the walls and behind the black plastic i have up is getting mildew. I can't keep this room this cold. There's a small bathroom in this building but I'll have to get a portable ac unit.

Perrin6363

Perrin6363

Ones drier than the other but they're both still above 70%. One is high 70's the other is in the 80's still.

PerfecTrader

PerfecTrader

I may be wrong but it sounds like you may have conditions where ambient RH is so high that now it is time to look for heck or high water ways to drop overall RH. There is nothing wrong with a lonnnng slow dry other than the wait. It is just over drying that can end ambitions of perfect curing conditions. Keep in mind this is coming from a 1st time grower in the desert SW that had 5-7 day drys and no cure to speak of, and it still came out better than anything around. My only point is if I fked everything up and it still was great, you surely should be golden here shortly.
What kinda air circulation you have in tent and can you maybe get some air blowing from a good meter or so away but kinda at flowers? It may be only way to drop moisture inside the flowers. Another thing to try is if have paper bags, take a 1/4 and but in a closed paper bag and check RH in it and monitor every hour. I don't think you are far off from where want to be but sounds like humidity is quite high where you live. Humidity hear in AZ drops as low as 20 in June and the highest it gets is 50ish in Dec. Has to be crazy different from there I bet. You actually have ideal conditions except for the last part of dry when it isn't getting there on it's own. Airflow may be your answer

Latest posts

Top Bottom