Y r the Y's Unhappy?

• Thread starter sky high
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ok... ya got me chuckling with that one.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I got a college education, and it has paid dividends that are worth every penny, even if those benefits haven't always been financial in nature. That is the true value of education and I believe that a modern, future oriented society needs all the college grads it can get- and if they, like some of my relatives, find fulfillment driving trucks or painting houses, who is to say their education was wasted? I know a lot of people who treat their job as just a way to support what they really care about. Often, it's that 'hobby' that ends up being really valuable, both to that person and to society at large.

All of the above are reasons for our society to offer free education, as far as a student wants to go. I'm not afraid of a class of professional students- we need grad students and associate professors and people to help find ways to get their innovations out to the rest of us! The benefits may not always be reducible to dollars and cents, or those paths might not be directly traceable, but the more educated people a society has, I believe the better and stronger it is. Free education is a small price to pay for such gigantic and consistent returns.

putembk

putembk

I no longer advise young people to spend their time and whomever's money on a college degree. Learn a high level technical trade. In fact, if you're up for it, join the military in a non-combat area, let them teach you that high level technical trade, then go on to earn some fucking BANK after you've done your stint.

That's what I advise young people to do now.
Somewhat agree. If you currently in college and are seeking a degree that has a good income and future stay. If you are in college seeking a Liberal Arts degree you are wasting your time on a 4 year degree that is unless you are there for the good times that college has to offer. I loved college but I took the easiest classes I could and played pool, ping pong, drank beer and chased girls. What an education. Would have been better off going to a trade school, which I later did. But I SURE HAD FUN FUCKING OFF.

SoCal 420

SoCal 420

Ok... ya got me chuckling with that one.

;)... Many complain about "Why" things are the way they are but the #'s you hear "Nothing" from or "Anything" about that "Find A way"... for Education / Job / Life are @ least 10 fold... Those that can't find these things their selves. As for the "Have" and "Have Not's"... Those that "Do" more generally "Have" more, through no fault of their own or monetary or educational advantage... The "Proof" of this is overwhelming and indisputable. Placing blame will always be pointless because the proof is in the #'s of those that are Employed (not all College grads) vs. Not and would consider their selves successful... Whatever their view of that is or someone elses $$$ value placed on that success (In the Eye of the Beholder) Those that truly have the "Wish" and "Drive" to succeed generally do... and the road is littered with those that ask "Why" or "Place Blame" as others pass by... that travel the same road daily...

putembk

putembk

;)... Many complain about "Why" things are the way they are but the #'s you hear "Nothing" from or "Anything" about that "Find A way"... for Education / Job / Life are @ least 10 fold... Those that can't find these things their selves. As for the "Have" and "Have Not's"... Those that "Do" more generally "Have" more, through no fault of their own or monetary or educational advantage... The "Proof" of this is overwhelming and indisputable. Placing blame will always be pointless because the proof is in the #'s of those that are Employed (not all College grads) vs. Not and would consider their selves successful... Whatever their view of that is or someone elses $$$ value placed on that success (In the Eye of the Beholder) Those that truly have the "Wish" and "Drive" to succeed generally do... and the road is littered with those that ask "Why" or "Place Blame" as others pass by... that travel the same road daily...
So true. If you want to have a better life....get off your ass and do something about it. This is STILL the land of opportunity. Those who are willing to work hard and learn from the mistakes along the way will generally prosper in this country. Even with our corrupt government.

K

kolah

I agree with C-man...as there is something to be said for learning how to fix a car, grow plants, build a shed and do other things with your bare hands and some old-fashion sweat...not to mention the self satisfaction one receives from it.

Now, it's time for a cold beer, some chips and a smoke on the deck, loving being back in Colorado.

SoCal 420

SoCal 420

If Education was "Free" via. Government (Delusional Utopian view because "Nothing" is Free) and the Playing Field was leveled per say, there would still be those that succeed and those that don't... Have and Have Not's for the Simple Reason that some desire education and some do not... (Government could force Education like Health Care?) Some wish to work, some will not, some will grasp that education and be able to apply it in "Real Life Environment" and some will not be able to comprehend it... All are not capable of gaining knowledge just because Education is available (Lead A Horse to Water?) Their are other things that factor into the ability (Genetics / Individual Ability / Desire / Motivation?) to learn that have nothing to do with College Education / $$$ (Free Education ;) LOL) that will never make Everyone "Educated" and therefor "Successful"...
Simply another division of people / misdirect via Government and Media to place blame and give reason to why "We Need Them" (Fed) to be "Educated" (comes in many shapes & ways)... Along with Healthy.

squiggly

squiggly

Just look at Squiggy as a perfect example, all kinds of schooling and no job. ;)

I've had decent job offers, but haven't finished with school just yet :)

My industry is one where there is SOME measure of ability to find a job. The issue with chemistry folks is that a lot of them end up in an endless cycle of temp-to-hire as a result of the way the industry is setup. So while there is a job market that doesn't always come with job security.

I, fortunately, know how to play the game and have spent most of my undergrad and graduate time rubbing elbows with people in high places so that I can find my way into a good job upon graduation. My recommendations/references are the president of my university, the president of the college of arts and sciences, and the distinguished professor for whom I've done research for 3+ years solid. Beyond that a huge part of getting a job in this industry is being published, and that's something I'm proud to say I've accomplished a few times now. I've got a publication going out to JOC really soon now as a first author, and if it's accepted that will be my ace in the hole for an industry job (JOC is the most prestigious journal in the world of organic chemistry).

My apologies to the Squiggs reference.

But I am sure there are many folks who are in those same shoes. Lots of college, lots of debt, no job. For most it was no fault of theirs, they worked hard, put in the time and money only to find out the job market dropped out and it continues to plummet.
There is no need to apologize. Unfortunately it's an altogether very safe assumption to make (even though it doesn't fully apply to my situation).

You're right on the money with this analysis.

squiggly

squiggly

I agree with C-man...as there is something to be said for learning how to fix a car, grow plants, build a shed and do other things with your bare hands and some old-fashion sweat...not to mention the self satisfaction one receives from it.

Now, it's time for a cold beer, some chips and a smoke on the deck, loving being back in Colorado.

I'm lucky enough to have had a grandfather who insisted upon this type of knowledge and spent the time with me making sure I knew my way around a bucket of tools.

I've always said there are more than one ways to be "smart". I'm book smart, sure, but if you throw someone who is ONLY book smart out into the wilderness it's not going to get them very far. I've always taken the balanced approach to learning. No job is too menial or boring for me to learn how to do. If there's anything wrong with my generation it's the general snootiness when it comes to stuff like this.

deepthought

deepthought

Well, I just want you all to know that I am generation Y and I am not lazy!

In The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, I have gotten all the way to Level 78!

Heck, using the Hearthfire DLC I even built my own sprawling mountain home. I look after a couple of computerized cows and chickens too, and a horse!

Not to mention the scores of trolls, druegr, vampires and dragons I have slain! I'm a damn hero is what I am.

Oh look at the time! I've been up since noon....I better go take a nap and rest these tired fingers...I have a lot of texting to do later...;)

putembk

putembk

I'm lucky enough to have had a grandfather who insisted upon this type of knowledge and spent the time with me making sure I knew my way around a bucket of tools.

I've always said there are more than one ways to be "smart". I'm book smart, sure, but if you throw someone who is ONLY book smart out into the wilderness it's not going to get them very far. I've always taken the balanced approach to learning. No job is too menial or boring for me to learn how to do. If there's anything wrong with my generation it's the general snootiness when it comes to stuff like this.
Why aren't you working. How old are you? I started working in HS part time and worked my ass off right up until I retired. Know a lot of peeps I went to school with that just kept going and going in order to not have to go out in the world and make something of themselves. You get a masters/doctorate degree in real life experiences not from book. Anybody that is able and old enough should be paying into the system helping to support our country rather than leaching off it.

putembk

putembk

What are you doing back in Colorado???? Job didn't work out? Hmmm....goes right along with this thread.

SoCal 420

SoCal 420

Well, I just want you all to know that I am generation Y and I am not lazy!

In The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, I have gotten all the way to Level 78!

Heck, using the Hearthfire DLC I even built my own sprawling mountain home. I look after a couple of computerized cows and chickens too, and a horse!

Not to mention the scores of trolls, druegr, vampires and dragons I have slain! I'm a damn hero is what I am.

Oh look at the time! I've been up since noon....I better go take a nap and rest these tired fingers...I have a lot of texting to do later...;)
And Then... ^^^^ Weed Farmer and A Virtual Bowl Load :woot:

squiggly

squiggly

Why aren't you working. How old are you? I started working in HS part time and worked my ass off right up until I retired. Know a lot of peeps I went to school with that just kept going and going in order to not have to go out in the world and make something of themselves. You get a masters/doctorate degree in real life experiences not from book. Anybody that is able and old enough should be paying into the system helping to support our country rather than leaching off it.

Whoa whoa, who said I don't have a job? I'm 27.

I've been working continuously since the age of 15 (and a summer job when I was 14)--in addition to mowing lawns/raking leaves/what not since I was about 11.

I just don't have a job that justifies my degree yet is all. I wouldn't just sit here going into this hugenormous debt without working some of it off as I go. That's why the educational journey has taken me so long--I've been going half time and working the other half for about 70% of my adult life simply because I don't want to have this mound of debt I can't broach when I graduate.

For my industry the sweet spot is pretty much having your Masters degree. If you want to be the head guy in a research facility you need a doctorate--but that's not me. I just want to work in a lab (where I am most happy) somewhere and just take care of my family and myself. The temp-to-hire shit happens to bachelors level guys, so if I want to contribute to chemistry for my job (I'm pretty set on that path at this point), it's going to take a masters to get the kind of job security I'm looking for as a guy with a girl he'd like to settle down with. It's not about DESERVING something or being ENTITLED--it's only about what I intend to provide to me and mine and how little of a shit I give about anyone who wants to get in the way of that.

I mean does it suck to be 27 and not contributing to my field day-to-day, or getting a foot in the door somewhere? Yes, it does--but my personal life plan doesn't allow for me to be crushed under an insurmountable debt before I even get out of the gate. For that reason I decided to do it this way, where I can at least fathom of attaining the amount of money I will owe when this is all over.

I figure I'll be about 30 when my masters is done (do keep in mind that I started school later in life--I dropped out of highschool at 16), and in all likelihood I'll find a pretty damn decent job at that point. I've already done several paid internships at this point so I have a good amount of experience. Likely I'll pick up an internship somewhere as I finish out my last semester's worth of my thesis and then get picked up by them as I graduate.

Not because I'm some boy genius or whatever else--but because all it takes is a foot in the door. I may bullshit and hem and haw here--but when I'm being paid, I WORK. That's one value my parents managed to cram in there.

If I don't have a job you can believe I'm near death.

putembk

putembk

Squig, you are the definition of gen x, to quote you, and frankly what I have said in the past " I don't have a job that justifies my degree". You are 27 years old and claim to be some kind of wizard, and don't have a job working yourself to the top????????? Yep, you want to start out at 6 figures and a management position. Well I guess your short stent here in management pretty much sums up the facts. My advise to you is go and get a job and if you are so good at what you do the cream will rise to the top. Even cream needs a little time to separate itself from the "as you think" INFERIOR.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Squig, you are the definition of gen x, to quote you, and frankly what I have said in the past " I don't have a job that justifies my degree". You are 27 years old and claim to be some kind of wizard, and don't have a job working yourself to the top????????? Yep, you want to start out at 6 figures and a management position. Well I guess your short stent here in management pretty much sums up the facts. My advise to you is go and get a job and if you are so good at what you do the cream will rise to the top. Even cream needs a little time to separate itself from the "as you think" INFERIOR.
LOL...

K

kolah

What are you doing back in Colorado???? Job didn't work out? Hmmm....goes right along with this thread.

I left....snuck the hell out of Dodge at Midnight, away from the foggy desert heat and into Flagstaff where there were green things and flowers growing, mountains, pine trees and cool crisp weather. I camped out in a State Park outside of Flagstaff and realized there's no place like home. <clicked heels> and zoomed back to Colorado.

My boss WAS and still is involved with fraudulent billing practices. He's a crook. He'll trip over his own two feet soon enough. I don't need the money that bad and quite honestly I was homesick for my horses and my Colorado land.

I could have stayed on-board and made a lot of money. Ain't willing to roll the dice and end up in a cage though, plus I have morals and stand pretty straight up for doing what is right. I'll have no part in taking dirty money.

K

kolah

Back on topic: There is college education and there is on-the job experience, they are two completely different animals.

I been around, seen alot and done alot, and I never saw a fresh graduate step into a work place and get er' done. And yeah they always want top dollar just because their name is printed on a slab of paper in Old English and slapped into a fancy fucking frame. Whoop-dee-doo.

Top Bottom