Aptus Test

• Thread starter MakinGoo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
N

nightmarecreature

@FooDoo I know @Billyboat commented on Fasilitor and rez time somewhere on the forum but cannot find it; maybe he can comment. I believe he mentioned that it was the only Aptus product he did / would run for longer periods (over mfg. recommendations)

@nightmarecreature I "believe" it's a different silica than that, but not positive:

Sorry to butt in and good luck with the test MakinGoo!!

Its not. There's more than one way to skin a cat. There are several bottles of Silica that contain Silicic acid aka Mono Silicic acid. Its the same silica that Aptus uses. Protekt is not the same.

Billyboat

Billyboat

@FooDoo I know @Billyboat commented on Fasilitor and rez time somewhere on the forum but cannot find it; maybe he can comment. I believe he mentioned that it was the only Aptus product he did / would run for longer periods (over mfg. recommendations)

@nightmarecreature I "believe" it's a different silica than that, but not positive:

Sorry to butt in and good luck with the test MakinGoo!!

Fasilator is the only aptus product I've used that didn't start of get funky after a few days or change the ph after a few days...I mix up 275 gallon veg tanks at a time and that lasts me 5-6 days and the res stays stable.

If you let Bloom boost mix in the tank for longer then 3 days it starts to chunk up and the ph goes from a constant 5.8 up to 6.5-7.5.

I also vacuum my res's after every nute change to make sure I get all residual water out.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I chickened out and got protekt but I'm still so drawn to fasilitor that I'm going to stick around in this thread for a little while longer. I run UC with 100 gallons in the system and 100 gallons in the hot rez that sometimes last 3 weeks so the only thing holding me back is trying to find out how long it will last in a rez because I refuse to use 200 gallon feed worth of it every few days. Its impossible for the setup.

3ml per 5 gal is .6 per gallon.

.6 x 200 = 120 ml. Which in normal instances isn't so bad... But...

Aptus msrp 250ml is $144. 144/250 is .58 cents per ml. One feed costs 120 x .58 is 70$ every feed. One feed of aptus costs more than 4 months worth of base nutrient :(
I think its meant 2 b used asap >> a few days max

MGRox

MGRox

Thank you @nightmarecreature and I totally agree with skinnin' the cat ;) You also sparked me to look at the patent finally and it all came clear.

Thank you as well @Billyboat for taking the time to pop in.

@FooDoo xD! Well, make sure and let us know what they say!

Okay then. It seems that their patent is focused on their ability to stabilize the Si in a micro-colloidal state, in order to result in a higher availability of Ortho- or Di- Silicic Acid than can be achieved otherwise.
Their process seems rather unique for sure, but would seem possible. Also, it seems they are only using Potassium Silicate, Doh! :D.

To make it...if I got it right then (from patent)
An 80% solution of a food grade humectant (probably PEG 400) acidified to 0.5 - 1.0 pH via HCl and /or H3PO4. This is allowed to sit for 12-18 hours @ 18-22C
A second solution of Potassium Silicate and some amount of boric acid are mixed (concentration not given).
After the "sit" time, the 2 solutions are combined in a rotary mixer for 6 hours.
During this time bases KOH or NaOH are added to raise the pH of the combined solution to 4-6.
After through mixing, the remaining Boric acid is added along with; humic/fulvic acid, amino acids.
-It is noted that the final stock solution has a Humectant concentration of 40%.
I guess last then after looking at this. Their whole philosophy is to control the colloid size in their solution; largely by the humectant and process of creation. Since the concentration of the humectant is important in the colloid size; this "control" or balance would begin altering upon dilution into a res or nutrient mix.

-- I assume then, that their suggested time for use (after mixing) is related to the silica forming larger colloids over time (i.e. becoming less available). So, like @MakinGoo stated, the faster the better I guess.

Sorry to pop in again guys

F

FooDoo

Cyco Silica (Mono Silicic acid) cost me $20 for a quart. 1lb Boric acid on Ebay $5. Fulvic Acid added to the mix will chelate the boric acid. You only use a trace amount of Boron.Now you have a homemade mix of Aptus Fasilitor for pennies. Been using it for over a year.

Mb ferts also sells organic amino acid chelated boron for $15.

Would Cyco Silica alone be a way better option than protekt. I got protekt because I saw you talk so highly about it in one of your threads. I must have dug up something old since you haven't used it in a year

N

nightmarecreature

Would Cyco Silica alone be a way better option than protekt. I got protekt because I saw you talk so highly about it in one of your threads. I must have dug up something old since you haven't used it in a year

I like it better than protekt. I notice a difference using it but once a week foliar and root drench is all that is needed.

Overuse of the Protekt and mixing problems caused me not to use it anymore. I think it was causing brittle stems from overuse.

Cal/Mag,Cyco Silica, trace amount of boron, Fulvic acid and L-aminos as a foliar spray kicks ass. The Boron is mixed at around 35grams for 1 gallon.

The reason some nutes work for some people and others it dont, is because some people are unknowingly doubling up on the same chemical they are already using. Other factors like enviroment come in to play also and a whole list of things.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

On with the Aptus Show!!

Aptus additives with GreenStone Nutrients soil/coco base a&b

Platinum Cherry Pie
Day 38 flower
20150312 181147
20150312 181238
20150312 181248
20150312 181257
20150312 181329

Latest posts