diy vacuum pruge station

• Thread starter Glab120
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Glab120

Glab120

Thanks for the extra pics. That definetely helps more but also raises more questions because it looks like you've changed your design since the original post. One question I've had is how thick are your lexan sheets in total? Would a half inch thick piece work? Should I get the 2.5 cfm or the 3 cfm pump from harbor freight? What is the pressure gauge for, do you keep it at a certain pressure? I'll probably have more questions when you answer these I apologize but I want to get everything covered.
I have a 1/4" sheet of lexan over about a 9-10" pot with a little bit of deflection, but not scary for lexan. 1/2" would be plenty and is what I would use next time.

i agree 1/2 inch lexan is perfect for this application, im using four 1/8 thick lexan pieces making it 1/2 inch thick. a 2.5 or 3 cfm pump will both work perfect so that really doesn't matter. i also believe that having a pressure gauge is very important in order to control everything and get consistent results.

Glab120

Glab120

My automotive gauges say I get to about 27. Do the last two make a big difference? It seems to really start expanding up towards my indicated 27, but I could see two more inches making even more difference.

I think if I ditch my regulator on the output of my compressor I may be able to get another inch.

Edit : isn't something like 29.9" a perfect vacuum? Like really hard to achieve?

in my opinion those extra 2 inches in HG vac make a huge differences. 29.9 is considered a perfect vac and requires a very good setup to achieve. you also have to consider the altitude in which you live. every 1000 feet in altitude roughly takes off 1 inch in vac...so if you live 3000 feet above sea level than 27 HG would be a full vac for you.

Graywolf

Graywolf

A point to consider, is that bourdon gauges change their zero with use and require regular recalibration. Usually the face of the gauge comes off and there is an adjustment screw for setting zero. When first breaking them in, I have had expensive gauges change their zero as much as two 2" Hg.

D

Dan Adabidoo

So according to your math since I'm at 5420 feet a full vac for me would be 24.5? That seems kind of low but I believe you. What type of glue did you use for the rubber gasket, I would assume it's somewhat heat resistant. With that in mind, do you actually need to glue it or can you just set it between the pot and the lexan?

D

Dan Adabidoo

Also any advice to where to find the Hg gauges your using would be much appreciated as well. I'm finding them on amazon but most are psi guages are they the same thing?

K

kanehbosm

A point to consider, is that bourdon gauges change their zero with use and require regular recalibration. Usually the face of the gauge comes off and there is an adjustment screw for setting zero. When first breaking them in, I have had expensive gauges change their zero as much as two 2" Hg.
This is such a great post! Glab 120 i don't mean to use your page to contact grey wolf but Ive been trying to contact you (greywolf) for a year now. just now came across this page and became a member today. Already started making this setup! Can't wait to give it its first run! But grey wolf, much honor in finally meeting you. I have many questions for you! What's the best way to contact you besides using up glams great forum?

Glab120

Glab120

So according to your math since I'm at 5420 feet a full vac for me would be 24.5? That seems kind of low but I believe you. What type of glue did you use for the rubber gasket, I would assume it's somewhat heat resistant. With that in mind, do you actually need to glue it or can you just set it between the pot and the lexan?
Also any advice to where to find the Hg gauges your using would be much appreciated as well. I'm finding them on amazon but most are psi guages are they the same thing?

i could be wrong about how much elavation will affect the vac pressure, i heard this from a friend who lives about 3000 feet up (he could be full of shit). but it does make sense cuz the air gets thiner the higher up u go, any ways i live about 20 feet away from the ocean so this doesn't affect me. as far as the rubber mat i did glue mine on with spray adhesive but it probably wasn't necessary. and the gauges are a little tricky to find, mine came off of a handheld mightyvac brake bleeder, u can usually find these at a auto parts store for about $20

A

Aaronimoe

ran my first vacuum purge with my harbor freight pump and Belart desiccator last night. was only able to hit 26in hg tho...

possible reasons to why I think I couldnt reach a full vacuum:
-too skinny of a tube. I used a 1/4" tube to connect directly from my pump to desiccator.
-leak from the desiccator stopcock
-leak from the pump because the barb im using doesnt fit the pump perfectly.
-too weak of a pump...

all in all, Im happy with how clean (of butane) my product is. Its alot more sappy and sticky because I didnt use nearly as much heat as i usually do. Im probably gonna convert it to budder tho because I dont like the mess oil makes and I like dunking my dabs onto my nail..

P.S. probably gonna return this pump and order a nice single stage on amazon

Glab120

Glab120

ran my first vacuum purge with my harbor freight pump and Belart desiccator last night. was only able to hit 26in hg tho...

-too skinny of a tube. I used a 1/4" tube to connect directly from my pump to desiccator.
-too weak of a pump...

all in all, Im happy with how clean (of butane) my product is. Its alot more sappy and sticky because I didnt use nearly as much heat as i usually do. Im probably gonna convert it to budder tho because I dont like the mess oil makes and I like dunking my dabs onto my nail..

your pump is not the problem...i use a 2.5cfm and it works great!

also notice how short and simple all my hoses are... i believe a simple setup will produce the best results.
IMG 0242
IMG 0244
IMG 0243

Glab120

Glab120

-too weak of a pump...

your vac pump will also become much quieter once u have reached a full vac...so listen for that. if your pump is still making allot of noise at say 26HG and still not increasing in vac then you deff have a leak.

Graywolf

Graywolf

This is such a great post! Glab 120 i don't mean to use your page to contact grey wolf but Ive been trying to contact you (greywolf) for a year now. just now came across this page and became a member today. Already started making this setup! Can't wait to give it its first run! But grey wolf, much honor in finally meeting you. I have many questions for you! What's the best way to contact you besides using up glams great forum?

It is a cool DYI setup, isn't it!

Thanks for the good thoughts! Looks like we don't have PM here, so probably the next best is [email protected].

Graywolf

Graywolf

i could be wrong about how much elavation will affect the vac pressure, i heard this from a friend who lives about 3000 feet up (he could be full of shit). but it does make sense cuz the air gets thiner the higher up u go, any ways i live about 20 feet away from the ocean so this doesn't affect me. as far as the rubber mat i did glue mine on with spray adhesive but it probably wasn't necessary. and the gauges are a little tricky to find, mine came off of a handheld mightyvac brake bleeder, u can usually find these at a auto parts store for about $20

Here is a good site with the answers: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

A

Aaronimoe

Is that the single stage pump from harbor freight? I don't remember where, but I remember reading somewhere that people were reaching full vac with the single stage vs the dual stage pumps from HF. I think I'm gonna go and exchange it for the single stage.

Glab120

Glab120

Is that the single stage pump from harbor freight? I don't remember where, but I remember reading somewhere that people were reaching full vac with the single stage vs the dual stage pumps from HF. I think I'm gonna go and exchange it for the single stage.

yes it is the single stage pump from harbor freight(the cheapest one)

K

kanehbosm

sry i haven't responded sooner but hopefully i can help yall a little. getting the 1/4 inch barbs into the lexan is probably the hardest part, i just pre drilled the holes then screwed the barbs in(easier said than done) but thats all i did.

the 1/4 inch hose that connects to the pump is from an automotive A/C recharging can thats sold at any auto parts store for under $20. i use two 1/4 inch ball valves to regulate pressure and to isolate the chamber from the pump while its not running(this also prevents the oil in the vac pump form being sucked into the chamber, believe me this sucks!!) all the other hoses are just regular 1/4 inch air lines.

hopefully these pics help.View attachment 287586View attachment 287587View attachment 287588View attachment 287589View attachment 287590View attachment 287591

Graywolf

Graywolf

Our single stage pulls low enough, and is faster than the two stage.

orbad

orbad

I may do a small run today. If I do, I'll try and take some pics of my setup to add. Gear heads may already have a lot of the stuff I'm using.

Glab120

Glab120

i helped a buddy make some oil last night from his NYC Diesel trim. it came out pretty nice.
IMG 0258
IMG 0262

orbad

orbad

I crushed my pot. I mean vacuum chamber. Talk about loud.
2013 02 09 121559

Oil came out good though. That last hard purge was just too much for it.
2013 02 09 121920

Top Bottom