Rooting With IBA

• Thread starter desertsquirrel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

Rooting has always been a some what mystifying experience. Whether the mystification be based upon the ability to make a cut root, or the more philosophical fact that cuts do in fact root into trees at all, or both, methodology is always highly disputed. This is due largely, i believe, to the drastically different environments and strains actual cloning takes place with/in.

There is no end all be all cloning method, and what ever method works in you location, in you room, with you gear is what you should be using. That being said, there are definitely ways that are better then others, and having tried nearly every method, this is the technique we are having the most luck with the least expense and complication.

Cuts:
Perfect plants start with perfect clones. Explosive growth and solid yields depend upon vigorously healthy plants, which means from the second they are cut from their mother, (before even), they are always free of stress and shock.

What this means for cuts is to first make sure the mothers is properly watered and fertilized prior to the cutting. Any problem present in the mother prior to making the cut will plague the clone for the rest of its life.

Next, my cuts seem to be some what larger then others (@ around 6-8 inches tall). They are taken just above the node and striped of all foliage minus the top leaf set (which is also sometimes cut in half).

Cups:
Cuts are then placed in cups of ro water for 1-4 days. This not only makes them vibrantly healthy and turgid, but also allows cloning to take place at your convenience.

Rooting with iba
Rooting with iba 2
desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

IBA:
When moving from cups to cubes nearly any form of rooting powder or gel will work. However some come at considerably more expense or less concentration then others and i recommend IBA powder. It can be bought at home depo/lowes (@.1%) for around 5 dollars or from an AG company 1 kilo (@20%) for around 300$. (thanks click80).

In any case i dip the wet cuts (from the cups) strait into .1% IBA (Indole-3-butyric acid) powder and place it firmly into a rockwol mat. The powder can also be put into RDWC or aeroflow systems (@ a rate of 1 TBLS/5-10 gal) for explosive results far surpassing RE or any other boutique product i have used.

1 kilo of IBA @ 20% = 200g X 100 = 20,000 X 10 = 200000g or 200 total kilos @ .1%

Or, 1 gram of pure IBA per kilo or 5 grams of 20% IBA per kilo to arrive at .1%

Id like to see some testing with other application rates. I will be trying .05, .15, and .2 soon. Please post if your testing these rates as well.

IMGP3999
IMGP4002
desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

lighting:
After the clones are trayed they are placed under floros. With our low humidity T5’s and even t8’s kill our cuts. I have seen clones root in darkness, very little light is required. After roots are present we move the clones to t5’s.

Domes:
Domes are highly disputed. In good humidity ranges (40-60%) i hated domes, but at 5-15% they are vital. With the exception of Low PM resistant strains (og’s, pre 98’s, etc) all of our clones are domed until they are well rooted.

Water:
Watering rockwol mats (after an initial soak of pure ro) is done with our pre veg nutes (1/2 str dynabloom and cal-mag) at 1/2 str. So 1/4 str Dyna and cal-mag pHed to 5.1-5.8.

It is important to note that though low p profiles provide fantastic nutritional results for nearly all stages of growth, cutting it by 1/4 str leaves a meager and problematic Available ppm of p (H&G for example is 5-10) for rooting to take place. This is where the dyna/cal-mag profile becomes useful. Its high level of p provides plenty of availability for uptake and thus root growth.

Watering takes place around every 4 days and at a rate of around 36-64 ozs.

Transplant:
After rooted (7-10 days) clones can go into rockwol/coco as seen here:

or Aeroflow/RDWC here:

Rooting and Light cycles:

Though pertaining to root growth in general but not rooting cuts particularly, lighting cycle and its effect on the Krebs/citric acid cycle drastically effect the rate of root formation.

All clones, cuts, moms and veged plants are under 19-20 on, 4-5 off. I will have a thread on the subject in a few days.

IMGP4007
IMGP4020
S

Steel Erection

Nice post bro you always have something good to say. I was using Olivias cloning gel and switched to Vita root. I was having great success with the Olivias at least 90% every time I took cuttings. The last two times I took cuts I've been having a lot of them die. I took 48 the week before last and pulled 12 of them. I use clonex to fertilize. The only thing I changed was my cloning gel. Maybe I'll give the IBA a try.-SE

Illmind

Illmind

iba isnt brand its indole-butyric acid err whatever lol that looks wrong. but that brand is bontone rooting powder. it has .001 %iba. i use same brand occasionally. i also use clonex .003% iba, for harder to root cuts. i must say the powder gets me quicker results by a day but clonex builds a means root system in comparison for me. good post. clonex is the devil tho they like 22$ a bottle but simplicity factor makes it worth it. powder shit can b messy.

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

bontone is .1% thats why i posted pics of the bottle (i thought it was .01).

.003% for clonex? lol crazy. thanks for posting.

Illmind

Illmind

duh lol ya clonex .3 i just looked huge diff mathmatically i use stoner algebra tho so the translation was on lol. 2 points left formula, similar to the puff puff pass left formula lol.

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
rootech has0.55% iba woods has 1.03 iba vita root has 00.133% iba and juciy roots from advanced has 0.1% iba these are just the ones i have i think i've had the best sucess with the rootech so far. Woods kicks ass also

ProdigyGrower

ProdigyGrower

Alien Junkie and bush master
Supporter
have you ever tried any of these and does the rootech seem to work the best because of the iba in it?? Also what does 1-Nsphthalene acetic acid do?? because the vita root has that in it at00.076% and the woods has it at 0.66%? I have ben trying some new thing like combos like i soak the cutting in the woods or the vitagrow for a few sec onds 10 to 20 then it get the rootech or the juciy roots put on also the thing i like about the juciy roots is it has vitamin b in it and i know people that spray their cutting with a Vitamin B solution then dip their cutting in their gel or what not but does it help the cut root too?? I've also ben spraying my clones with some Nirvan from advanced instead of just plain ro water and they seem to like it what do you think about doing those things?? Ohh one more thing I've talked to grower's who soak their rw cubes in advanced sensi bloom ab for 24 hr's b4 taking cutting and they said it helps them root really well have you tried this too??

Illmind

Illmind

i soak cubes in a weak veg/bloom solution. just helps keep em green for me. clonex gel i use. i just dip and slowly work it into grodan rw cubes until snug. i never found the need to use root stimulator solutions, but then again bcuzz roots i use for both cloning and a root product. i believe other solutions are strictly cloning. i'm a kiss head. simple n clean.

click80

click80

longer cut

Hey DS, I am getting ready to take some cuts now, I was just sitting here thinking about it and it makes total sense to take longer cuts like you do, pretty smart, i think i know the reason for it....the amount of stress would not be greater so sure why not have a bigger plant because after it roots and greens up and goes into veg you end up about 5 days (at least) ahead of the game....the way i take cuts it won't make a diff if i add an extra few inches on it...

seeing how other people do stuff is probably the number one way i learn really good shit..i have a feeling this will be one of those times...

thanx

L

LikemindS

Great Thread DS!
I've been using "GREEN LIGHT" 'Rotting Hormone' - 0.1% IBA.
Its $5 at Lowes for 2oz.
Works Great and lasts a long time. Ive gone through 2 bottles in @ 6mo and made more cuts than i can remember... but its all relative i guess.
:banana1sv6:

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
I've Used That For Almost 20 Years

The stuff used to be called Rootone, I've used it for a long time and it works great. One secret I've found is that you only need to put the tip of the cut into the powder. I just shake desired amount out, dip the tip of the clones and toss the leftover. I had 1 bottle for almost 10 years a while back

mal

snoopytime

snoopytime

LikemindS - I got that same stuff at Home Depot, I cleaned them out of their 3 bottles for 75% the price of one clonex gel. Like I said in Desert's Veg thred tho, I had dipped wet cuts deep in the powder in the jar .. I poured 2 jars into 1 for a good full depth to dip. Then without tapping it off on the sides I plugged it into rapid rooters . . let me tell you, there is such a thing as 'too much' . . I only got like 30% roots after 2 weeks, some of the stems in the rooters dissolved. So be careful with the power, you can get too much I found out the only way I ever learn . .DOING IT WRONNGGGG! lolol

L

LikemindS

LikemindS - I got that same stuff at Home Depot, I cleaned them out of their 3 bottles for 75% the price of one clonex gel. Like I said in Desert's Veg thred tho, I had dipped wet cuts deep in the powder in the jar .. I poured 2 jars into 1 for a good full depth to dip. Then without tapping it off on the sides I plugged it into rapid rooters . . let me tell you, there is such a thing as 'too much' . . I only got like 30% roots after 2 weeks, some of the stems in the rooters dissolved. So be careful with the power, you can get too much I found out the only way I ever learn . .DOING IT WRONNGGGG! lolol

Yeah Its pretty strong! I have great results with it.
I put a light coating 1/2 inch up the stem, tap off the rest, push snug into a 1.5 inch RW cube soaked in RO. I keep them wet with RO and after 4 or 5 days water them with @ 1/2 strength veg, I take it out of the res my small veg plants are using. I don't use domes. Between 7 and 12 days and 100% root. I've used a lot of different rooting products and methods, this seem to be the best way for me.

B

Buddy Hemphill

The stuff used to be called Rootone, I've used it for a long time and it works great. One secret I've found is that you only need to put the tip of the cut into the powder. I just shake desired amount out, dip the tip of the clones and toss the leftover. I had 1 bottle for almost 10 years a while back

mal

Wouldn't this be funny.

When I was in the 6th grade I did a science project comparing rooting solutions on begonia cuttings. Rootone was the winner. Followed up by a plain gelatin solution.

I have been spending a running ton on RE.

I'm going to the store today. I gotta take cuttings anyway. If I wind up using something I KNEW worked since 6th I am gonna feel like BoBo the Clown.

Good thread DS. This conversation has got my wheels turning. I get good results but at 77 bucks a half pint or whatever....but shiyat!

Great time for a side by side because I have enough RE for the trial. Matter of fact I have a sample of some really expensive shit called greenfuse I was gonna try also. It smells like mentholatum(sp?).

So what was Rootone is now Bontone?

TIA...

Top Bottom