Rooting With IBA

• Thread starter desertsquirrel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Boylobster

Boylobster

In any case i dip the wet cuts (from the cups) strait into .1% IBA (Indole-3-butyric acid) powder and place it firmly into a rockwol mat. The powder can also be put into RDWC or aeroflow systems (@ a rate of 1 TBLS/5-10 gal) for explosive results far surpassing RE or any other boutique product i have used.
Hey, I know this thread is a bit old, but I'd like to hear a little more about the root growth application you mentioned. The powder I have (.1% IBA) doesn't seem very miscible in water; it just floats to the top, even when you try to stir it in. Kinda messy. Would you be willing to elaborate on your experience using it as a root stimulant, how you apply, etc? 'Twould be very appreciated. Thanks!

K

kushtrees

IBA is not water soluable you need alcohol to dissolve it I believe. DS just dipped the clones in the powder I think though and stuck em in the RW cubes

I've never used the powder but the dip and grow liquid can be used as a root stimulant. I've never done it but I've talked to a few people who have with great results

Boylobster

Boylobster

IBA is not water soluable you need alcohol to dissolve it I believe. DS just dipped the clones in the powder I think though and stuck em in the RW cubes

I've never used the powder but the dip and grow liquid can be used as a root stimulant. I've never done it but I've talked to a few people who have with great results
Huh! Dip 'n Grow happens to be my favorite cloning factor, after much experimentation. Seems as though it'd be pretty expensive for general application, though. Do you know any details about how they used it? mL/gal, timing, that sort of thing? Thanks for the reply!

K

kushtrees

I forget the exact ml/ gal but I remember it ending up at less than 5 ppms IBA I have a old convo about this let me see if I can find it. It would be very expensive if you used the 20-1 dilution or something like that but remember that's for cloning not root stimulation

K

kushtrees

So in an old convo with dankworth he said he used dip and grow at .3 ml/ gal. This ends up at .8 ppms IBA. He said at that dosage it blows roots up. At that rate that's like 30ml per 100g that's pretty cheap... Only one way to find out.... :)

Boylobster

Boylobster

So in an old convo with dankworth he said he used dip and grow at .3 ml/ gal. This ends up at .8 ppms IBA. He said at that dosage it blows roots up. At that rate that's like 30ml per 100g that's pretty cheap... Only one way to find out.... :)
Haha, yes indeed! :D Hey, thanks a lot for taking the time to source that for me, that's really kind of you. I wonder if you could do something similar with the powdered IBA, making your own Everclear or isopropyl solution... hm. Well, I'll probably try the D 'n G first. In fact, I think I'll go do that right meow...

Cheers,
BL

W

Worm254

I've been adding 1/32 teaspoon of 99% iba to about 100 gallons UC (12 site 8 gal.)system once per week during veg. Not really sure if that's enough or even frequent enough. Anybody have any ideas, other rates of application or personal experience with this?

Papa

Papa

Supporter
Id like to see some testing with other application rates. I will be trying .05, .15, and .2 soon. Please post if your testing these rates as well.

hey ds, did you ever test these other rates?

darn, didn't see the post above until i'd posted. well . . . . . . bump

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Thank you so much for sharing - I assume you're referring to the IBA-K throughout your entire list of instructions?

If you wanna make your own IBA solution the strength of CLONEX GEL, which says '3 grams IBA per liter' on the bottle, buy the 25 gram bottle of this here for $74 -

Be sure to get the IBA-K , since its a water soluble salt, otherwise the plain IBA wont go into solution (dissolve)

Then take half the bottle of pure IBA powder (a shade over 12 grams) and fold it into a one gallon bottle of pure RO water. Shake it lol. This is now identical stregnth to CLONEX GEL.

Now if you wanna rock the DS trick of adding it to your hydro solution instead of RE etc, a second dilution is necessary to make it a simple '1ml per gallon' additive . .

To make a quart of '1ml per gallon' (DIY roots excel minus the pinch of beneficials) - add 50ml of your "DIY CLONEX" gallon from above to 950ml of RO water in your empty quart(or liter) nute bottle.

To make a gallon of '1ml per gallon' (DIY roots excel minus the pinch of beneficials) - add 200ml of your "DIY CLONEX" gallon from above to an empty gallon nute bottle then top it off with almost a gallon of RO -

tada! you now know how to make 160+ litres of sterile RE for how much? is it 160 x $180 = $28,800?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?

Fukk that! how about $74! sounds better . . with all that leftover money not buying H&G another weekend in the Palms rockstar suite lolol you can get yourself a new car instead!

Props to DS - a true scientist!

PS - when you order the IBA powder you get an email that says you need to provide a 'science project' description so they can tell what you need the powder for. Just lookup the latin name for some plant and say you are testing rooting behavior at various dilutions of IBA.

PSS - if $74 is STILL too much because you need super ape-shit amounts, get it here for around $180 a KILO DELIVERED of pure.
http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?fsb=y&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=&SearchText=iba potassium

PSSS - This stuff likes it cold and dark, keep the powder in the fridge and the mix in at least a dark cabinet if you can.

Peace out

redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue

Any advice on how much I should add to my 100 gallon systems in Veg/Flower? Running GH 3-part, RDWC Veg transfer to UCXXL 13gal modules.

snoopytime

snoopytime

UC roots is a sterilizing agent if I recall correctly? assuming the answer is yes, it is fine to use with the IBA diluted as per above. In that scenario, you would use 100ml of the double-diluted IBA-k in solution for 100 gallons of reservoir. in the veg & first 3-4 weeks you can double up & give them 200ml total to hype out the root explosion stage.

Top Bottom