Rooting With IBA

• Thread starter desertsquirrel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Terry

Clonex and Dynagro's Root Gel work well. I prefer Clonex but the cost is ridiculous. The difference is that the stem swells more which gives you more surface area for root formation.

click80

click80

i'd like to know what ya'll think of prepping the mother....

do you try to reduce fertilizing immediately before cloning? any tips on the way ya'll prep your mothers prior to cloning?

and when taking longer cuts does it matter if the stem is a little woody?

and any thoughts on foliar spraying some thrive before cloning?

plus, has anyone run into the clone's stem curling over or twisting? annd what might cause this?

H

H3AD_CAS3

I foliar kelp, fulvic, and a touch of silica one day prior to taking cuttings...Since I started doing this there has been a noticeable difference in the vigor of rooting as well as overall health of the cuts.

Dunge

Dunge

Would you please go into some detail on how you make this foliar?
Like, what form are the fulvic and silica in?
Things I might screw up trying to duplicate your method.
I need more vibrant clones and this is something I intend to try.
Thanks

desertsquirrel

desertsquirrel

The point of this thread is that gels, fulvic, silica, etc etc are absolutely pointless for clones.

Use what ever works for you, but water and iba is plenty.

H

H3AD_CAS3

The point of this thread is that gels, fulvic, silica, etc etc are absolutely pointless for clones.

absolutely...I foliar spray my Mom's prior to taking cuts. Only water and IBA cloning gel for the cutties :)

click80

click80

Water:
Watering rockwol mats (after an initial soak of pure ro) is done with our pre veg nutes (1/2 str dynabloom and cal-mag) at 1/2 str. So 1/4 str Dyna and cal-mag pHed to 5.1-5.8.

It is important to note that though low p profiles provide fantastic nutritional results for nearly all stages of growth, cutting it by 1/4 str leaves a meager and problematic Available ppm of p (H&G for example is 5-10) for rooting to take place. This is where the dyna/cal-mag profile becomes useful. Its high level of p provides plenty of availability for uptake and thus root growth.

any opinions as to ro or de-chlorinized low ppm tap, or does the 1/4 strength nutes work better? i am just trying to improve my technique and i would like to understand if the clone is able to draw water up by osmosis and stay turgid, can it absorb the water thru the stem, or is the water just to keep moisture on the stem to signal that the necessary conditions exist to allow rooting?

also how about splitting/scraping or as i do, making a slice about the last 1/2'' down just one side of the stem...

B

Buddy Hemphill

I foliar kelp, fulvic, and a touch of silica one day prior to taking cuttings...Since I started doing this there has been a noticeable difference in the vigor of rooting as well as overall health of the cuts.

I use the same foliar on my cuts around day 7. They get greener.

click80

click80

okay i read thru the thread again and see you use ro and ph doesnt matter until roots pop...could you post the approx. nute profile...my store didnt have the dynabloom but i have some other nutes i might be able to put together though...and the cal/mag if you could

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Thanks for da tip Squirrel, I just noticed a bottle of 1% liquid in the garden clearance bin at every northwesterner's favorite local chain grocerymart, and remembered your thread. I clone with simple coco in a heated plug tray and have solid results, but have been wanting to speed it up from the current 10ish day average. I started a bunch of extra cuts last night, enough to sacrifice some early and compare progress. I kept everything else the same, prewatered the coco with weak 5.8 solution, under humidity dome that stays pretty humid and I keep the top moist. Will report back, should be a fun micro-test..

click80

click80

...does anyone have any opinions on where to make the final cut? like above the node, through the node, in between two nodes...etc..?

...also...since the plant, by my understanding, sends rooting hormones/signals to the cut site, does just pinching off the other leaf sets a little away from the stem (except for the ones at the top you leave on) do you think that this might enable more of the hormones to focus on the nodes that are sliced off even with the stem that are actually in the medium?

dankworth

dankworth

I try to hit 1/4 or so below the node for a cut.
I think I am still copying something from a book from the nineties when I do this.

click80

click80

I try to hit 1/4 or so below the node for a cut.
I think I am still copying something from a book from the nineties when I do this.

thanks...I am soaking 64 cuts in water now...I am following DS's method, the only difference is I am using Clonex gel, could not get any powder in time...I only have one rw mat so i will also be using rapid rooters...I do know this, for some reason my success percentage is down to about 70% here lately so I have to do better...I will post pics soon...

they seem to really love the soaking in H2O...they have been in for almost 24 hours...i might go ahead and stick them tonite, if not it will be first thing in the morning.

click80

click80

verdicts in

okay...I have had tremendous success with the cuts I took, so much so that I have to do this in a hurry cause I have 75 clones to get ready to flower..

But I do have pics I will post soon

...I ended up with four trays of 25 each...yes I ended up taking more cuts.

I used two diff cloning dips...One was Vita-Grow (not a gel) and it is .13 IBA the other was Clonex Gel which is as I understand it .3 IBA.

Three trays were done DS's way, well except i didn't use rooting powder, but they were long cuts, they soaked for 48 hours.

One tray I did with cuts the way i used to, which means they were short and I didn't soak them in water.

Out of the three trays of long cuts... one tray I the Rapid Rooters were soaked in water, one tray Olivias, one tray water and Great White.

The long cuts were taken on the 14th, soaked for 48 hours and then put in the R.Rooters...first roots showed on the 22nd and by the 24th a most were showing roots. Hardly any leaves yellowed, I think maybe 3 leaves out of all 75 cuts total, which I found amazing. Another thing was that the clones dipped in the gel, the stems swelled up about double. Very big diff from the Vita Grow. Hardly any swelling.

The tray with the Rapid Rooters soaked in Great White did the best. They rooted one day earlier, and two days after that almost all had roots showing, and man they were big and fat, very fuzzy, and definitely more numerous than any of the other trays, way more numerous. Cutting these things long and soaking them is going to cut about a week off my cloning time because they are so healthy. I think the soaking, as DS said, makes them less susceptible to stress by getting them very turgid I suppose. All I know is these fuckers are perfect ass clones..to me anyway.

I can't wait to show the pics. As it is I have to put three flood tables in one after another because I was not ready for this kind of success. I normally have about 4 days or more before I can even think about getting them ready to go into RW, harden them off etc...

DS thanks man...I cannot tell you how much of a cloning slump i was in...this actually makes me feel like I know what I am doing now with clones. I have had good luck in the past, but never with cuts that come out of the cloning tray this healthy. Okay...I will get these pics organized and posted soon as i can.

Oh, and the short cuts, they are rooting but are way behind health wise. The ones that were cut long I will be able to put them into flower like almost right away....I barely will have to even trim them.

HydroRocks

HydroRocks

Below is the detailed steps I take to make clones for oh about 30 years now I guess.

I still use just water and a root plug, wait 7 to 10 days. Done.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Will report back, should be a fun micro-test..

Forgot to post back, for me not much faster in the cloning tray but seems like more root strands with IBA. Once the clones went to cups you could really tell a difference though. Biggest thing I got out of the exercise is now adding it to my veg res as a root speederupper (thanks Dankworth).

click80

click80

god I hate getting pics off my cam onto here...camera is older...anyway here is some pics...

the ones where there are no roots is to show how much the stem swelled using the clonex gel...the ones i took with the Vitagrow hardly swelled up at all, I think I read in this thread that the more they swell the more area there is for roots to pop...IDK if that's accurate but i do know that the clonex gel worked great. I have more pics but I don't have time to sort...

On the pics which show roots, the ones that are noticeably more numerous are from the tray that I soaked the rooters in clonex solution and Great White....of the other two one had olivia's and one was plain water...they turned out about the same...one pic is of the three trays of long cuts and you can see they are not stressed, not hardly any yellow leaves...the other pic is after I got them in RWool.

Thanks again to DS for this thread and giving me ideas.

<edit> I can't be sure because it such a pain sorting pics off my phone but i might have duplicated one of those of the real rooty ones, but you get the idea, all 25 from that tray were like that. They have transferred to Rockwool well, and have started growing into right away. So I am pleased. I think Clonex Solution has IBA in it so next time I will do a tray of H2O and Hormex, and one tray of H2O. <edit>

0122020918a.jpg
0122020918.jpg
0127020903.jpg
0124021101.jpg
0124021100a.jpg
0124021059.jpg
0126022041a.jpg
0126022041.jpg
0127020908a.jpg
0127020908.jpg
0127020904.jpg
0127020902.jpg

Aligee

Aligee

very nice roots bro what ive noticed is the more nodes you put into the rapidrooter thats were the roots will start forming at . when i say nodes i mean were branches were cut off ... ~Aligee~

Latest posts

Top Bottom