Small Scale Scrog

• Thread starter ArcticOrange
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Hey everybody, I'm new around here but wanted to get a journal going and see what you all think about the projects I'm working on. Right now my main focus is a small scale scrog with one 5.5 week old indica bag seed and a few seedlings of a sativa that I'm unsure exactly what it is. So here's the breakdown.

Lights: 600w MH in veg, 600w solis tek hps for flower, blockbuster hood, solis tek 600w digital dimmable ballast.

Medium: Fox farms happy frog soil, 30% perlite added.

NUTES: right now I'm using dyna gro grow, pro tekt, and mag pro. Adding Recharge by real growers for Bennies and I'll use bloom by dyna gro for flower. I also have some fox farms nutes around but not planning on using them as long as things continue along well.
I'll get a pic of the indica up here soon... feel free to chime in!

Small scale scrog
Junk

Junk

I'd be curious what your soil ph is, your NPK levels, your temps & moisture are too. If you feel like going through the effort.

If you aren't equipped to do stuff like that yet, do yourself a favor & spend the $20. It will save you a lot of time & headache alone, never mind yield & quality.

The reason I mention it is, if I was being picky, the leaves could look better. It's actually for my learning purposes that I would like to know. My first thought is PH...

Please don't think I'm picking on your plants. It's going well. If you are willing, I'd like just like to test my hunch & if needed revise it. & in the process perhaps, make your girl even better.

**Edit To show you I'm sincere, I'm hoping someone will pick on the leaves I just posted in the monster crop diary. They aren't perfect. I hope someone better than me can tell me what it is...(it's not bugs, it's nute related)

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

I'd be curious what your soil ph is, your NPK levels, your temps & moisture are too. If you feel like going through the effort.

If you aren't equipped to do stuff like that yet, do yourself a favor & spend the $20. It will save you a lot of time & headache alone, never mind yield & quality.

I don't feel like you're picking on my lady. This is best case scenario. Temps holding steady at 72 F, Runoff ph of 6.8-7.0 during last 3 waterings. Humidity is 45-55% and I'll have to check on overall Nph as the mag pro is a new edition. My thoughts were the hard water I was using locked out magnesium so switched to distilled and used 1/4 strength mag pro. I don't have a soil ph kit just a ph meter and I am equipped with ec meter. Money is no object as I have a good job and bills are less than 1/4 income so it is easy for me to implement suggestions. I really appreciate you taking the time to critique!

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

With distilled I'm reading water in at 7.1 with the well I was reading 8.4 in without nutes I'll have to look at my notebook when I get home to check with nutes.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

I agree with you junk, leaves should be greener. It's been a bit of a struggle for me because ph was my go to response as well but even with the crappie well water the Bennies seemed to buffer to appropriate ranges. I'll calibrate my ph meter before next feeding and double check I'm not just getting bad numbers. I had kind of thought possibly iron or zinc due to ph because the new growth starts out lime green almost and gets darker from there.

Junk

Junk

I'll upload a few more here not sure if it's what you'd like to see but here they are.

If you were watering them with 8.4 that could have been the problem. We need to know the soil ph, & NPK levels.

When do you plan to put it to 12/12? I would start lollipopping soon.

I see you cut the fan leaves in a couple spots. I don't know what the reason for that was. But in general (& this is my opinion, other people will tell you differently) you don't want to remove fan leaves. They are a major energy converter.

The only reason I would do it (& I've tested this) is to remove some to control the plant height. Some people remove them to get light to lower bud sites. In my opinion, they should have trained for better spacing in the beginning, and/or removed that growth before going to flower.

Whatever you do, I would get rid of those lower leaves asap. You don't want leaves attached to the plant that are touching the soil. Those lower leaves can go at this point. You also want to make sure you remove any dead leaves that have fallen onto the soil. But about a week before you go to flower, you want to remove most of that bottom growth, & in general clean the plant up.

Junk

Junk

I agree with you junk, leaves should be greener. It's been a bit of a struggle for me because ph was my go to response as well but even with the crappie well water the Bennies seemed to buffer to appropriate ranges. I'll calibrate my ph meter before next feeding and double check I'm not just getting bad numbers. I had kind of thought possibly iron or zinc due to ph because the new growth starts out lime green almost and gets darker from there.

Remember, I am being picky. But it's the overall constitution of the leaves that could be better. The color is a bit light, but it's more than that.

Also, we need to know the PH of your soil. You said the water going in is about 7 & coming out about 7 now. But we need to know the PH of the soil. This is what I use

How old is that plant? Here is one at a few weeks... different strain obviously, but if you compare them carefully, you will see the differences beyond color.

20150816 135447

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

I'm Tracking. I removed some of the Lower fans for air movement and because I hadn't initially trained well so it was kind of turning into a tumor of foliage. Plant is 6 weeks, to calculate overall NPK is it simple addition of the NPK ratios of all products used? Or do I make a ratio based on amount of each product used? I will order in a soil ph test kit or grab one in town here today if I am off work on time.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

9-24-15 if I am not doing simple addition but adding them together based on amount used. Mag pro is high in P and so is the grow nute I'm using. I have a 3-1-2 grow nute I was considering changing to. Also important to note at 7 weeks old this plant has only been fed twice. First feeding was ratio 7-9-8. The reason for only two feeds was it burned both times. Only slightly and I believe it was caused by high P as both feeds were at a 1/4 strength (1/4 strength of highest concentration I would use. This is less than 1/4 strength of the recommended dosage)

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Also that picture is a nice reference. Those leaves look a little thicker, more uniform in color and surface consistency.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

I'd also like to say thank you to everyone stopping by. I've been here only a few days and can tell this place is better and more active than any other community geared towards cultivation that I've been a part of. I appreciate everyone's feedback and welcome any and all critique, suggestion, or questions. As I've stated before I'm fairly green (pardon the pun) so any input is useful.

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

So I tested the soil PH and it came out to 6.5 24 hrs after adding recharge and nutrients. Not Runoff or watering but actual soil ph

ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

So I have some yellowing between veins starting from the inside of the new growth going toward the outside. I'm thinking possibly iron or zinc? This may help diagnose it.

1. Are you growing from seed or clones? SEED
2. How old are your plants? 7.5 WEEKS FROM DAY PUT IN SOIL
3. How tall are your plants? 12-14 INCHES (SCROG)
4. What size containers are they planted in? 5 GALLON
5. What is your soil mix? 35% PERLITE 65% FOX FARMS HAPPY FROG
6. How often do you water and what type of water do you use? ONCE EVERY 3-4 DAYS
7. What is the pH of your water? 7.0
8. What kind of fertilizer do you use and what is its NPK ratio? DYNA GROW FOLIAGE PRO, DYNA GROW PRO TEKT, RECHARGE FOR MICROBES. NUTES AT 1/4 STRENGTH. COMBINED NPK 9-3-7.5
9. Do you foliar feed or spray your plants with anything? NO
10. What kind of lights do you use and how many watts combined? (HPS, MH, fluorescent, halogen, incandescent "plant lights") 600w MH (dimmed to 400)
11. How close are your lights to the plants? 16 inches
12. What size is your grow space in square feet? 3x3
13. What is the temperature and humidity in your grow space? 72 Degrees 55% RH
14. What is the pH of the soil? 6.5
15. Have you noticed any insect activity in your grow space? No
16. How much experience do you have growing? 0-6 months prior to this grow.

Also important to note one of my feedings recently had mag pro added and the NPK combined was really high with P. I think with ph ruled out there's a deficiency at play or excess of something causing lockout bit I've only fed 3 times? Once a week on average since I started feeding at week 4

20150920 100852
ArcticOrange

ArcticOrange

Also those leaves have developed a few spots with no signs of bugs, manganese possibly? Kinda thinking it didn't like the high p...

Latest posts

Top Bottom