11/13 increases phenotypic expression

• Thread starter canadaseed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
way2green

way2green

The" lunar pull"is the excuse that I hear farmers giving for a poor indoor harvest if their lights run at night instead of the day. Many people feel that plants that flower at night are susceptible to the lunar pullbin the same ways that ocean tides are effected. I have read all kinds of essays about lunar and solar pulls effecting everything in the world. Even our mental reactions. "Freaks come out on full moons" etc.....

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I've never done a side by side but off the top of my head I always try my best to run on time with Sun and off time with moon unless it gets too hot during day or too cold in night...
I read somewhere we get pissed on full moons cuz bugs in our gut reproduce according to the moon cycles....

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

What's this lunar pull and everything else
I don't understand it but I do think it matters, so I do worry about that but not much because I don't need to understand it I'm not sure how much it matters...not sure if it matters enough to make hermies but posibbly yield which is not huge for me cuz their might be another benefit worth the trade.....I am curious to know more about it

canadaseed

canadaseed

it's magnetism imo... electromagnetism to be specific. I've noticed when there's a full moon the hairs on my arms literally are being pulled toward the moon. Don't know what that says about anything but it's something i've noticed. We certainly live in a 'Electric universe' perhaps the full moon is a sort of full charge of the planet. In fact the planet is made of mostly: Silica/water/electricity. Perhaps the full moon is a way of letting life forms know where they stand in 'time'. If it's true that microcosmic life is more active during full moon waxing and waning then maybe the plants use the moon light as a detection system. Plants could possibly be more resilient to attack during full moon phases and therefore it could be better to prune/feed during this time.

@caveman4.20 it's funny just by chance i have 1 seedling sprouted (lavender) and 5 seeds germing atm. 2 just popped this morning!!

SunGrown

SunGrown

I am sure you have read some articles already on the subject, but here is a link for you

http://www.moongrow.com/

Gardening by the moon phases isn't bullshit at all. I have a buddy that has studied a lot more than me on it, maybe he can chime in what he can share. @SirLongRock

But the moons force goes thru walls absolutely, so it does influence indoor gardening as well IMO

canadaseed

canadaseed

I am sure you have read some articles already on the subject, but here is a link for you

http://www.moongrow.com/

Gardening by the moon phases isn't bullshit at all. I have a buddy that has studied a lot more than me on it, maybe he can chime in what he can share. @SirLongRock

But the moons force goes thru walls absolutely, so it does influence indoor gardening as well IMO
thanks for that link @SunGrown I've read a bit on it not much... and that site is awesome i do a lot of 'no control gardening' and i'm gonna read up on that site. Got a lot of reading to do this week lol. I'm just about to start a book called 'South African journal of botany'. I take cues from my local weather patterns and local plant life for outdoor gardening. 2 years ago the landscape looked very different here... since then there was a big growth spurt of berries and field flowers. the landscape is always changing because the planet is alive and it is always growing. The berries we had growing 2 years ago were a lot smaller than the berries this year. There's also a mold affecting most of the grapevines i've seen. I'm not sure why it's bad this year. powder mildew on a lot of the wild grapes. Moisture levels in spring and cold nights all summer are what caused it in my opinion but hey it's for that exact reason the berries really flourished this year. the rubus genus of plants has a hard time in hot dry climates, altho some species are more heat tolerant (golden raspberry). My approach to gardening is that i comply with mother nature... i have to follow her lead.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

;)What I've read thus far implies one of the benefits of the waxing moon is the the plant holds more water so pruning may not be best during this time moreso during the waning moon when plants are holding less water leaving a smaller wound and healing faster before being attacked at the wound.

And the organisms flourishing during a waxing phase into the full moon could be incorporated to teas and innoculating rizhosphere...

Very interesting, very much worth further study

Those seedlings are going to go into beast mode....one of the reading said the roots have explosive growth during waning moon phases so give em some space a;)

canadaseed

canadaseed

@SunGrown I was thinking the same thing, the moons force is strong enough to penetrate walls... Would replicating moon light be necessary? Is the moons effect being slightly diminished by the light not getting through? How important is the light factor.
imo if there is an effect of not having the light i would say it would be 'confusion' for the plants. If the processes of the full moon without light is confusing to plants they may selectively behave differently, trying to 'shut down' their genetic response to the moon. In nature the light from a full moon doesn't always penetrate a forest canopy but i wonder how important that is? if a grower were to implement moon light to their room it would be such a precise science you would have hours put into figuring it out, how to control that system another added thing lol

I'm curious about letting the real moon light in the grow room.

My other thought would be to consider how a life with no moon light would affect a mammal. I would be interested to see what its cognitive abilities are in comparison to a mammal that lived outdoors its whole life. Do they think the same, solve problems in the same way?

Last edited:
SunGrown

SunGrown

Another link I have saved for you

http://www.howplantswork.com/2009/07/25/does-the-moon-affect-plants-part-2-moonlight-and-biorhythms/

From laboratory experiments, it’s known that light intensities as low as 0.1 lux (approximately 0.01 foot-candle) during the night can influence photoperiodic time measurement in some plants and animals.
Yet the intensity of light from a full moon on a cloudless night may reach 0.3 lux at latitude of 50′, and more than three times this value in tropical regions.

This fact led E. Bunning and his colleagues (ref 2 below) to inquire whether moonlight can disturb time measurement. Surprisingly, their investigations revealed that some plants have adaptive mechanisms that apparently prevent moonlight from interfering with photoperiodism.

Photoperiodic perception occurs in the leaves. In the leguminous plants soybean, peanut, and clover, “sleep movements” change the position of the leaves from horizontal during the, day to vertical at night. This behavior reduces the intensity of light falling on the leaf surface from an overhead lamp (an “artificial moon”) by 85% to 95%, to an intensity below threshold for interference with time measurement.

In some nyctinastic plants such as Albizzia, Sainanea, and Cassia, leaflets not only orient vertically at night, but also rotate on their axes so that paired leaflets fold together, with the upper surfaces shading each other, an interesting behavior in view of the fact that the upper surface is more sensitive to light breaks than is the lower surface.

Some long-night plants (a.k.a., short-day plants) flower most prolifically when grown with low intensity light (approximately 0.5 lux) rather than complete darkness during the night. In these plants, moonlight probably increases the number of flowers produced by a short-day regime.

However, flowering of Pharbitis nil (Morning Glory) plants was slightly inhibited by exposure to the light of the full moon for 8 or more hours with a single dark period of 16, 14 or 13 h. It is suggested that in the natural environment moonlight may have at most only a slight delaying effect on the time of flower induction in short-day plants (see ref. 3 below).

In a brief review, Wolfgang Schad (ref. 4) cites evidence for the effects of moonlight on biological rhythms in plants. He is co-author of the book Moon Rhythms in Nature: How Lunar Cycles Affect Living Organisms.Bottom Line: Although it is not clear why low light intensities affect flowering more than darkness, these examples provide some rational basis for the belief of planting particular seeds by the light of the full moon. Another full moon one lunar cycle later could have effects on flowering.

canadaseed

canadaseed

@caveman4.20 yea bro it's a lot of science that hasn't been studied yet... what happens at night, what about the unseen? It's so cool to read what u posted about plants retaining and releasing water at certain times of the month as well as how the microcosm reacts to full moons. Because it proves what we are saying... the plant is working and growing during the day with help from the sun, well at night it's planning and creating strategy with help from the moon.

If we can learn to work with the symbiosis of nature we can create better growing environments for our plants. Just like you said don't prune when the plant is hydrating because it's just gonna hurt it and take longer to heal. They are growing pretty fast right now.. i have to get around to transplanting later.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Circadian rhythm needs some more studying from me it should help explain this specific topic of phenotypic expression from day lenghts....as far as I've gotten is plenty of hormonal action at night and transfer process of sugars and aminos but I dint know any specifics or haven't done any side by sides

way2green

way2green

You nailed it right there Cave. I love the knowledge gained from the Links.
It is just really hard for me to do any comparisons because of lmited indoor space. I obviously can't do anything outdoors because of my location. I always want to try new experiments but I just have to decide whether a lot of this info is true or beneficial on faith in the research

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Wether we understand it or not, believe it or not and apply it or not , it, does have influence.....
Take for instance when farmers admit that they grow better when they leave their crop alone or mess with it less for example an outdoor grow near a structure that can water the garden with run off maybe shade hot part of the day and block wind vs a greenhouse grow with a Gardner that spends all day messing with them sometime to their detriment
I'm just saying these plants respond to our presence and absence and all the above so everything plays its role
We just need a ton of testing and organization to learn what we can off the same page

BeenBurned

BeenBurned

Interesting thread! Lots of info from many...
When I flip I drop 15m a day (1pin on my timer) till i hit 12. It drags out the grow a cpl weeks but The plants have seemed to respond favorably..."cept the Jack Herer would stretch like a mutherfucker!
Anyway...I am going down to 11-13 the last cpl weeks and see how they do.

The" lunar pull is the excuse that I hear farmers giving for a poor indoor harvest if their lights run at night instead of the day. Many people feel that plants that flower at night are susceptible to the lunar pullbin the same ways that ocean tides are effected. I have read all kinds of essays about lunar and solar pulls effecting everything in the world. Even our mental reactions. "Freaks come out on full moons" etc.....

I am down with the lunar pull..It effects the ocean forshitssake, but the lights at night thing is BS...the moon is out at all times of the day/night...Right??

Oh, and
this isn't related to lighting but it does have something to do with character expression in cannabis.

Many plant species respond to herbivore attack by an increased formation of volatile organic compounds. In this preliminary study we analysed the volatile metabolome of grapevine roots [Teleki 5C (Vitis berlandieriPlanch. × Vitis riparia Michx.)] with the aim to gain insight into the interaction between phylloxera (Daktulosphaira vitifoliae Fitch; Hemiptera: Phylloxeridae) and grapevine roots. In the first part of the study, headspace solid phase microextraction (HS-SPME) coupled to gas chromatography – mass spectrometry (GC–MS) was used to detect and identify volatile metabolites in uninfested and phylloxera-infested root tips of the grapevine rootstock Teleki 5C. Based on the comparison of deconvoluted mass spectra with spectra databases as well as experimentally derived retention indices with literature values, 38 metabolites were identified, which belong to the major classes of plant volatiles including C6-compounds, terpenes (including modified terpenes), aromatic compounds, alcohols and n-alkanes. Based on these identified metabolites, changes in root volatiles were investigated and resulted in metabolite profiles caused by phylloxera infestation. Our preliminary data indicate that defence related pathways such as the mevalonate and/or alternative isopentenyl pyrophosphate-, the lipoxygenase- (LOX) as well as the phenylpropanoid pathway are affected in root galls as a response to phylloxera attack.

I found this article when searching for info on wild grape terpene profiles. altho this is talking about how the plants' roots are responding to herbivore attacks something tells me this might be related to the amounts and concentrations of chemical compounds that each plant produces. i'm wondering what would happen if 2-3 weeks into flower i snip off small portions of a few flowering tops... how would this affect what chemicals are being produced in the plant. are the rates changed? does the plant pump out more limonene as a defense mechanism? or perhaps other terpenes.

YES,Yes,Yes....... I confriggencur!

Great thread.

Top Bottom