11/13 increases phenotypic expression

• Thread starter canadaseed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I was on youtube watching a video of emerald cup 2013 with MzJil & Subcool, Ken Estes, Ringo about DJ short talking about breeding healthy genetics. At one point DJ short was saying that going to 11/13 flowering time creates a more natural outdoor like setting for the plant which in turn allows the plant to express itself better.
^1:12:40 time mark for when he talks about light cycle

Do any of you use an 11/13 light cycle for flowering? if so what kind of results you had?
1:14:04

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Thanks for noting the point to listen to. I've randomly chosen some other sections, and it's interesting. DJ's discussion is very educational.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

I learned alot from dj short ....one of the top advice is your not going to satisfy everyone so start with yourself and share with others whom enjoy what you enjoy

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

It's an interesting conversation when someone tells you about your pre roll they tried from so and so and how it's "AIGHT"....but when you show it to them it's not worth smelling let alone smoking ....

canadaseed

canadaseed

It's an interesting conversation when someone tells you about your pre roll they tried from so and so and how it's "AIGHT"....but when you show it to them it's not worth smelling let alone smoking ....
so true, i tried a strain from a buddy who grows completely organic heirloom strains, all outdoor. kinda brown yellow color, sublte skunky odor... then you smoke it and the high is really psychedelic and long lasting. even this stuff i was getting (northern light #5) grown outdoor, beautiful buds heavy trichome production but low odor and low flavor... very metallic flavor. The high was so potent beat even some of my favorite top shelf starins. I actually really miss that strain. Sometimes i tell people 'it's outdoor' and they shy away, and i'm like your loss.

canadaseed

canadaseed

this isn't related to lighting but it does have something to do with character expression in cannabis.

Many plant species respond to herbivore attack by an increased formation of volatile organic compounds. In this preliminary study we analysed the volatile metabolome of grapevine roots [Teleki 5C (Vitis berlandieriPlanch. × Vitis riparia Michx.)] with the aim to gain insight into the interaction between phylloxera (Daktulosphaira vitifoliae Fitch; Hemiptera: Phylloxeridae) and grapevine roots. In the first part of the study, headspace solid phase microextraction (HS-SPME) coupled to gas chromatography – mass spectrometry (GC–MS) was used to detect and identify volatile metabolites in uninfested and phylloxera-infested root tips of the grapevine rootstock Teleki 5C. Based on the comparison of deconvoluted mass spectra with spectra databases as well as experimentally derived retention indices with literature values, 38 metabolites were identified, which belong to the major classes of plant volatiles including C6-compounds, terpenes (including modified terpenes), aromatic compounds, alcohols and n-alkanes. Based on these identified metabolites, changes in root volatiles were investigated and resulted in metabolite profiles caused by phylloxera infestation. Our preliminary data indicate that defence related pathways such as the mevalonate and/or alternative isopentenyl pyrophosphate-, the lipoxygenase- (LOX) as well as the phenylpropanoid pathway are affected in root galls as a response to phylloxera attack.

I found this article when searching for info on wild grape terpene profiles. altho this is talking about how the plants' roots are responding to herbivore attacks something tells me this might be related to the amounts and concentrations of chemical compounds that each plant produces. i'm wondering what would happen if 2-3 weeks into flower i snip off small portions of a few flowering tops... how would this affect what chemicals are being produced in the plant. are the rates changed? does the plant pump out more limonene as a defense mechanism? or perhaps other terpenes.

Last edited:
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

The deer that have munched on my plants in the past have only eaten big fans and stayed away from the buds....I did notice a burst of stacking after but it was about that time anyhow , just an observation

canadaseed

canadaseed

thanks @salmon. yes the cannabinoids, terpenoids/monoterpenoids and phytocannabinoids are all significant indicators of medical properties. That is too say, limonene is a known anti-fungal. So this way we can better breed specific medicine for indicated conditions. What medical properties does the lemony crossed with a grapey create? Is it possible to get really scientific and tweek strains so precisely in for certain traits. Using genetics and environmental triggers.

http://www.sawislibrary.co.za/dbtextimages/AugustynOPH.pdf

I found the above article to be quite interesting... towards the end in the conclusion they found that low temperatures inhibited the production of terpenes... they found undetectable amounts. Kinda what i'm suggesting that even humidity and temperate play crucial roles in profile

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

You know how only certain bacteria and fungus grow for the life of certain host plants roots, basically they pick and choose their host. Certain mycoryhzae may contribute to plants acquired response system

salmon

salmon

It would be possible to do what you're suggesting, but that kind of research takes money. However, with the MMJ movement and subsequent legalization, I believe we'll be seeing biotech companies investing into it and it will be in their best interests to identify exactly which compound have which medicinal uses and then exploit the cellular machinery to increase expression of desirable compounds.

~S

canadaseed

canadaseed

You know how only certain bacteria and fungus grow for the life of certain host plants roots, basically they pick and choose their host. Certain mycoryhzae may contribute to plants acquired response system
yea exactly and if it can be observed that certain fungi or bacteria in the soil are making the plant produces more oils and scents that could mean certain strains would respond better to certain soil/soiless media. That can be implemented in breeding, we want the offspring to have well experienced parents who have expressed all their abilities. perhaps if plants are faced with adversity the process of (overcoming) is what allows the strain to become more resilient and evolve its chemical responses.

salmon

salmon

If certain organism are observed to increase the production of specific phyochemicals, I don't think you'll find a particular soil or soil-less medium will simulate that reaction. Any interaction will be as a result of particular chemicals and processes between the plant and the hypothetical organisms. Theoretically, you might be able to induce production through the addition of particular chemicals or even stress/damage, but it would be difficult to isolate the exact mechanism at play.

~S

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

If certain organism are observed to increase the production of specific phyochemicals, I don't think you'll find a particular soil or soil-less medium will simulate that reaction. Any interaction will be as a result of particular chemicals and processes between the plant and the hypothetical organisms. Theoretically, you might be able to induce production through the addition of particular chemicals or even stress/damage, but it would be difficult to isolate the exact mechanism at play.

~S
Lst for roots if you will....

Top Bottom