12 x 1000 watt XXL 8'x24' SCROG

• Thread starter Wavegem
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PrefersHam

PrefersHam

Also, a concern i have with stainless is its tendency to gall at threaded unions. Back in the day i worked with alot of 316s (others too) we used to do alot of hydraulic sytems testing. Often system fitters would use welded joints to avoid leak prone threaded fittings, where needed they would convert the fittings to stainless female sae fittings and use food grade hose. Also, non-hardening permatex (2a i think) works great however i wouldnt want any of that floating around my system. I have a feeling youll be fine.

Keep growin big in lil Rhody my friend. Peace,

Ham

Wavegem

Wavegem

stainless steel can rust pretty fast if you leave oily residue on it. Wicked cool buckets!

This stainless will not rust no matter what you put on it. Period never

Also, a concern i have with stainless is its tendency to gall at threaded unions. Back in the day i worked with alot of 316s (others too) we used to do alot of hydraulic sytems testing. Often system fitters would use welded joints to avoid leak prone threaded fittings, where needed they would convert the fittings to stainless female sae fittings and use food grade hose. Also, non-hardening permatex (2a i think) works great however i wouldnt want any of that floating around my system. I have a feeling youll be fine.

Keep growin big in lil Rhody my friend. Peace,

Ham

Ham what's up, I will relay this information and see what I find. Thanks.

Wavegem

Wavegem

Just a heads up - we removed our drippers as they nerfed what i think is one of the best features of rdwc. The baskets remain 100% "dry" however are in 98-99% rh from the air stones.

Good luck

DS I agree 100 percent. I don't use drip, never have. Capulator peeked my interest with the work he is doing and I noticed a common thread with drip, the stalks get massive. Maybe it has nothing to do with it but I have noticed this.

Dirty White Boy

Dirty White Boy

No 316 can corrode as well. Iron will eventually cause corrosion if it sits. Any iron caught under oily residue will rust faster. That's why people use passivation to clean and increase corrosion resistance. kust be careful not to scuff the stainless inside the tubs.

guyonthecouch

guyonthecouch

wow! the stainless is key. you could clean with steam. cant wait to see this system in action

Mike49048

Mike49048

Look for an electropolisher in your area, you can get the id of the stainless polished up. It would help prevent rusting and make cleaning easier.

Wavegem

Wavegem

I wanted to share my results of what I learned from Cap right here on the forums.

I have never had growth rates like this before and should make my life way easier transitioning between clone and rdwc systems.
Cultured Solutions is amazing, I am having great results both in coco and in Uc.

8 inch net pot with a 50/50 mix of chunky perlite and coco ( I used cyco), inside a 10 inch net pot with a couple inches of hydroton on the bottom and sides. Also coving the top to prevent mold.

From rooted clone I put them on a flood table and fed drain to waist for the first couple days. I used a pump with drippers, I fed them tea and cultured solutions.

Thanks Ham for the flood table idea. I put a bunch of air stones all over the table and filled the table just below the coco or the 8 inch net pot. It is important to get the water level right because you can experience over watering. I used black and white poly to block out the light on the table, cut holes where net pots are.

10 days later they went in the Uc for vegging before going into my new buckets for flower.

Pics next

Wavegem

Wavegem

I cut wood wrapped i it in poly and cut holes for the 10 inch net pot.

day 2 UC - 12 days from rooted clone

20120905 175302

20120905 175342

20120905 175357

20120905 175403

20120905 175451

20120905 175503

20120905 175724

I will say it again Cultured Solutions and Caps Teas!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Yep. that mix works! I just started my new run with 50/50. My temps are at 89 but leaf temps are 85. RH is at 50% with my humidifier and that means no stalling on transition. I threw them right in to 4k/plant and they were all good. Didnt skip a beat.

I was gonna point you to my post #27 here: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/filtered-water-vs-ro-water.50866/page-2

for your well water issue. I think this may be a great solution for everyone running RO... just my humle opinion though.

Are you getting coco in the system? I have an MPB so I have a waterfall from the pipe as my return, and I use a stocking there so the sediment/coco gets filtered out before it hits the main res. I just removed the stocking and replaced it ever day until there was no more sediment.

Careful not to over do it on the drip.. I have been watering once a day only. its been 3 days since they got moved and I have roots in the water already. I was thinking of cutting off the drip altogether once I have a good amount of roots in the tub. I am pretty sure they wick the water up in to the media and top drip is no longer necessary at that point unless you want to flush//

fuck those are nice plants for 12 days.. I vegged mine on a table under 1k like 3 weeks. LOL.

Wavegem

Wavegem

Yep. that mix works! I just started my new run with 50/50. My temps are at 89 but leaf temps are 85. RH is at 50% with my humidifier and that means no stalling on transition. I threw them right in to 4k/plant and they were all good. Didnt skip a beat.

I was gonna point you to my post #27 here: https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/filtered-water-vs-ro-water.50866/page-2

for your well water issue. I think this may be a great solution for everyone running RO... just my humle opinion though.

Are you getting coco in the system? I have an MPB so I have a waterfall from the pipe as my return, and I use a stocking there so the sediment/coco gets filtered out before it hits the main res. I just removed the stocking and replaced it ever day until there was no more sediment.

Careful not to over do it on the drip.. I have been watering once a day only. its been 3 days since they got moved and I have roots in the water already. I was thinking of cutting off the drip altogether once I have a good amount of roots in the tub. I am pretty sure they wick the water up in to the media and top drip is no longer necessary at that point unless you want to flush//

fuck those are nice plants for 12 days.. I vegged mine on a table under 1k like 3 weeks. LOL.

Ya I removed the drippers when I transplanted into UC. I have been playing with the water level to keep the media moist and hand watering once a day too. I vegged the girls over an 8 bulb t5 for a couple days, then through 1k dual spec and surrounded them with 6 250 watt cfls. That first plant in the pics is Hollywood Haze and I can't be more pleased with the results. Growth rates are unreal, I have topped all of the at least 5 times and will continue to do so to keep this SFV in check.

I am not playing any more games with water. I Bought a 3 stage pre filter. Which consists of a 5 micron sediment then a 1 micron sediment and finally a bad ass nanoceram filter. Then it goes through a uv light, then to the RO unit and finally through DI before reaching my tanks. I also have the dual tds meter to know what goes in and what goes out and a flow meter to know exactly how much water I have made. The water here is so bad I don't even drink it and won't even give it to my cat. 0ppm at 1:1 waste.
20120908 151436

Cap I am really interested in your experience with 4k/plant, I am currently setting up 3k/plant on an 8 plant site. I decided to run 5 600's/plant for more light sources and because they will be water-cooled. I would love to get .75 gpw, but I don;t know if that is possible.
I am also setting up a 16 plant 25-30 gal coco, similar to the uc earth system with the same number of lights so we will see what the verdict is.

BC farmer

BC farmer

Just came across your thread and am subscribed! Thank you for sharing and good on you going right back at er after that slap in the face. As Ttystick said we have all been there and can happen to anyone, school of hard knocks.
We are on a well and have had issues. Bought a similar three stage unit with UV and then ran it through RO and now we are good. Recycling your water from your ac unit and dehu works well as by that time its distilled. Get a holding res where you have it pumped into.
Scrogging is fun and highly efficient, bummer the last one didn't work. Sorry if you mentioned this already but will you be placing screens on top again this time?

Wavegem

Wavegem

So I was looking at the dates of my pics and was completely blown away at the speed these girls are growing. The first pic was taken the 26 of August and the second pic the 5 of sept. I have never grown anything so fast.
20120826 090140

20120905 175302

Just came across your thread and am subscribed! Thank you for sharing and good on you going right back at er after that slap in the face. As Ttystick said we have all been there and can happen to anyone, school of hard knocks.
We are on a well and have had issues. Bought a similar three stage unit with UV and then ran it through RO and now we are good. Recycling your water from your ac unit and dehu works well as by that time its distilled. Get a holding res where you have it pumped into.
Scrogging is fun and highly efficient, bummer the last one didn't work. Sorry if you mentioned this already but will you be placing screens on top again this time?

Every once in a while it hits me how much I lost... but if I go down that road its a downward spiral. I just have to man up take the hit and get back to work. In three months hopefully things will be much different. Glad to here that setup is working for you, makes me feel like its one less thing to worry about. Ya the A/c and Dehuey is a great idea that I have been trying to do for a while now. I will not be Scrogging, my back can't take it anymore. I am going to to be running vertical lights with an overhead on each plant. There is a cage in the core of each plant that supports them, then wrapped with a trellis net. Pretty straight forward, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve..

First we are running 3 condensing units, with 2 variable frequency pool pumps which is my chiller. To keep the water clean I got a salt chlorinator or something like that basically turns salt into chlorine. I am really excited about my new custom water jackets for my lights. They are way better quality than anything on the market for 1/3 the price. I def will post more on them. Custom reflectors, buckets, FRP the walls. Got 3 400 gal water tanks. 1 Hp blower Flexair disc in every bucket. High efficiency water pumps and Air Handlers. Its balls to the wall and mine will be in a guillotine if I mess this up. haha

BC farmer

BC farmer

So I was looking at the dates of my pics and was completely blown away at the speed these girls are growing. The first pic was taken the 26 of August and the second pic the 5 of sept. I have never grown anything so fast.
View attachment 249900

View attachment 249901

Every once in a while it hits me how much I lost... but if I go down that road its a downward spiral. I just have to man up take the hit and get back to work. In three months hopefully things will be much different. Glad to here that setup is working for you, makes me feel like its one less thing to worry about. Ya the A/c and Dehuey is a great idea that I have been trying to do for a while now. I will not be Scrogging, my back can't take it anymore. I am going to to be running vertical lights with an overhead on each plant. There is a cage in the core of each plant that supports them, then wrapped with a trellis net. Pretty straight forward, but I have a few tricks up my sleeve..

First we are running 3 condensing units, with 2 variable frequency pool pumps which is my chiller. To keep the water clean I got a salt chlorinator or something like that basically turns salt into chlorine. I am really excited about my new custom water jackets for my lights. They are way better quality than anything on the market for 1/3 the price. I def will post more on them. Custom reflectors, buckets, FRP the walls. Got 3 400 gal water tanks. 1 Hp blower Flexair disc in every bucket. High efficiency water pumps and Air Handlers. Its balls to the wall and mine will be in a guillotine if I mess this up. haha

You must have a good producing well with that much water you appear to be going to use.
We have 7gpm and its not adequate for anything that requires more than one watering a day.
Curious to see the few additional tricks, glad the ladies are doing what they do best right now keep the momentum going!

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
View attachment 249900

View attachment 249901

chlorine is not the best for the bennies...

Wavegem

Wavegem

You must have a good producing well with that much water you appear to be going to use.
We have 7gpm and its not adequate for anything that requires more than one watering a day.
Curious to see the few additional tricks, glad the ladies are doing what they do best right now keep the momentum going!

I wish I had 7 gpm. I only have 1 gpm. I did the math and should be able to make about 700 gal a day at 1:1 waste. This well is used for nothing else and one 400 gal tank will hold well water for storage.

chlorine is not the best for the bennies...

Sorry I should have been more specific, that's for the chillers to keep the lights clean. That water won't touch my plants. I am going to run coils in my epicenter to keep the water cool.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
it seems like you arent using the flourescents to their max potential... why not t-5 overhead or even t-5 side lighting as well? looks like you are wasting half the veg light in that set up.

vince vega

vince vega

Man I hate to sound like a dick but wtf did I just read? At the risk of interrupting a running log of money being thrown at imagined problems (while bacteria laden well water is killing whole crops) I have to speak up.
Fuck. You don't need stainless steel undercurrent's and custom made fucking air stones to net 12 #'s in six months with 12k watts of lighting. Also I don't see the scrog- undercurrent pairing being a good fit. But whatever.
This is a log of wasteful behavior and unexamined mistakes.... I am not shocked that this is going on but why isnt anyone else speaking-up? cfls hanging like my first fort and stainless f'n "buckets"? Pool cooled chillers? uv lights and fucking pixie dust.
Somebody has got to speak up in the name of good information being shared between grown-ups. Your problems are less about growing and more about being a fruitbasket... lol I love ya buddy, I mean it... seriously, I'm sure your killing it in coco somewhere else. You'd have to be to finance this fuck-mess. Also in your defense you've got to be "in the product".
One thing that needs to be cleared up is ac sizing and its relationship to rh. The rest I can't begin to make sense of.
An undersized system will run longer to cool the air. This will result in dryer air. This is a balancing act but not really that complicated. Example... your room with an extra say... 2.5 tons that you ran along with your 5 when you want rh higher. Run the 5 alone for lower rh... you know for "stacking".
I'm sure I'll get flamed here and also nothing personal to wavegem... it's about information yo. I'm done.

Wavegem

Wavegem

Man I hate to sound like a dick but wtf did I just read? At the risk of interrupting a running log of money being thrown at imagined problems (while bacteria laden well water is killing whole crops) I have to speak up.
Fuck. You don't need stainless steel undercurrent's and custom made fucking air stones to net 12 #'s in six months with 12k watts of lighting. Also I don't see the scrog- undercurrent pairing being a good fit. But whatever.
This is a log of wasteful behavior and unexamined mistakes.... I am not shocked that this is going on but why isnt anyone else speaking-up? cfls hanging like my first fort and stainless f'n "buckets"? Pool cooled chillers? uv lights and fucking pixie dust.
Somebody has got to speak up in the name of good information being shared between grown-ups. Your problems are less about growing and more about being a fruitbasket... lol I love ya buddy, I mean it... seriously, I'm sure your killing it in coco somewhere else. You'd have to be to finance this fuck-mess. Also in your defense you've got to be "in the product".
One thing that needs to be cleared up is ac sizing and its relationship to rh. The rest I can't begin to make sense of.
An undersized system will run longer to cool the air. This will result in dryer air. This is a balancing act but not really that complicated. Example... your room with an extra say... 2.5 tons that you ran along with your 5 when you want rh higher. Run the 5 alone for lower rh... you know for "stacking".
I'm sure I'll get flamed here and also nothing personal to wavegem... it's about information yo. I'm done.

Thanks for the input Vince. I want to respond by mostly agreeing with you and to clarify a few things.
I lost this grow solely to bacteria, I did not expect the results from the water test to come back the way they did. There is chloroform and all kinds of other shit in this well. This is an amateur mistake that I have been kicking myself in the ass for.
The cfl's I am actually extremely impressed with, they have been doing there job which is getting plants big with little electric.
I can tell you that a scrog in the undercurrent is a work of art and takes pain and patience to accomplish. I am currently rebuilding my room not using a vertical screen and wanted to grow plants width instead of height which is working perfectly.

Top Bottom