1st time grower, seed problems?

• Thread starter Budw3is3r
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Yeah man, I'm all about questioning and experimenting for improvement. That said, a lot of the old time advice is acquired knowledge capital that has had a lot of value for a lot of people. Wasn't long ago that nobody knew how to get pot to grow well in most of the US.

Everything can be refined, but people aren't idiots for catching up w the knowledge capital of the community of pot growers.

I def agree a thread of "challenges to common practices that have worked for me" would be very valuable.
Books and videos can be really helpful but nothing is better than talking direct to people who have tried and tested experience... but more importantly passion.

My learning curve has just shot up and this is just at the seedling stage! THC FARMER is a really good platform to share.

Bud

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

DAY 17

10 seeds in and 1 dead, my fault... was measuring the distance from my light and the tape measure dropped hit a seed and bent it. It happened a few days ago and I wanted to see if I could get away with it... I didn't. Another lesson learnt the hard way.

I decided to take the big streched fella out of the clay pebbles and transplant to a larger rockwool cube (this will be its final place). Reason I moved it? I just couldn't gauge if the small rockwool plug was wet / dry because the clay pebbles covered it and it was always going to need moving at some point.

When I transplanted from clay pebbles to larger rockwool I had to pick each individual pebble out and came across some slightly dry roots which I wet before I moved so I didn't accidentally break. I then placed the plug in the already soaked cube and updated the support with a skewer.

The 3 seeds that haven't "popped" yet... I looked at each individually and carefully replaced into new starter plugs. Hopefully we see them grow because the other 6 have (despite my best fuck ups).

Also, had a visit in the grow, anybody know what it is please?

Bud 👍

20200615 230945
20200615 230620
20200615 230043
20200615 224839
20200615 224427
LouieV

LouieV

Thanks for all the input guys.

The fella who had the curly root coming out, I decided to risk tearing the rockwool....adjusting the seed in the correct position then put the rockwool pieces back together and back in the tray. Hopefully this will work.

To be fair I didnt have to handle it much with the tweezers which was a relief... sort of fell in the natural position and looks good.

If you read this thread from the start it's a tale of the wrong method (although I did research), a cock up by me bending a seed whilst trying to support it and now this. For my first grow I'm loving it!

Cheers all

Bud
Yo man I started growing in soil about a month ago. I’ve made soo many mistakes and can’t believe that my plants survived. I recently found this group and seeing another newbie and all the great advise has me stoked.
Cheers!

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Yo man I started growing in soil about a month ago. I’ve made soo many mistakes and can’t believe that my plants survived. I recently found this group and seeing another newbie and all the great advise has me stoked.
Cheers!
Welcome to thread, yeah it's a steep learning curve! The advise on here is great.

Bud

W8ing4Buds

W8ing4Buds

Sorry i didn't see this post earlier.
Because all could be saved and the older growers could tell you that weed is weed and it grows like weed.
The obe that strached like that and then you bend it it was still good. Next time just take a big pot and bury her all the way almost up to the leaves. Maybe an inch away from the leaves. Everything else under the soil but just be careful to keep it straight. The plant would automatically start producing roots on now buried stem. With more roots it would become sturdy and start growing normally.

Let me tell you how i do it and i have more then 95% germ rate.
I put the seeds in the water for 24h. Then i put my wifes face cleaning pads in a cup en pore the water in. Those pads soke up water very well so it wet all the time and on those pads i put the seeds that were previously soked in water for 24h. And then i just ad water in the cup as needed but never so much that they would be in water. The pad soke up water to the seed. And then when the roots are half and inch long i just plant them root down in the soil.

I was using the paper towels method for many years but the problem i had was that the paper tower was covering both sides of the seed/roots and when i opend the towel sometimes the root was stuck to the towel and when i tryed to take the seed off the root would break.

The seeds are not clones and they don't need the dome to stay under it. The need some air flow from the start so she gets hard from the start. If you had some air flow that seedlings could not strach because it would know that is not strong enough.

I wish you all the best.
Sorry for my english it's not my first or even second language.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Sorry i didn't see this post earlier.
Because all could be saved and the older growers could tell you that weed is weed and it grows like weed.
The obe that strached like that and then you bend it it was still good. Next time just take a big pot and bury her all the way almost up to the leaves. Maybe an inch away from the leaves. Everything else under the soil but just be careful to keep it straight. The plant would automatically start producing roots on now buried stem. With more roots it would become sturdy and start growing normally.

Let me tell you how i do it and i have more then 95% germ rate.
I put the seeds in the water for 24h. Then i put my wifes face cleaning pads in a cup en pore the water in. Those pads soke up water very well so it wet all the time and on those pads i put the seeds that were previously soked in water for 24h. And then i just ad water in the cup as needed but never so much that they would be in water. The pad soke up water to the seed. And then when the roots are half and inch long i just plant them root down in the soil.

I was using the paper towels method for many years but the problem i had was that the paper tower was covering both sides of the seed/roots and when i opend the towel sometimes the root was stuck to the towel and when i tryed to take the seed off the root would break.

The seeds are not clones and they don't need the dome to stay under it. The need some air flow from the start so she gets hard from the start. If you had some air flow that seedlings could not strach because it would know that is not strong enough.

I wish you all the best.
Sorry for my english it's not my first or even second language.
Great advice here. Don't worry to much about the stretch. As was said here when transplanting just bury a bit deeper. It has more to do with the light spectrum than the intensity.

They look healthy and as was also said by @W8ing4Buds get rid of the dome.

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Hello All,

I'm after a little advice on when I should start using nutrients? Is there a sign to look out for that triggers when to use nutrients?

At the moment I've only used RO water.

Thanks

Bud

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Great advice here. Don't worry to much about the stretch. As was said here when transplanting just bury a bit deeper. It has more to do with the light spectrum than the intensity.

They look healthy and as was also said by @W8ing4Buds get rid of the dome.
Yeah I got rid of the dome a while back and noticed a significant difference 👍

Bud

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hello All,

I'm after a little advice on when I should start using nutrients? Is there a sign to look out for that triggers when to use nutrients?

At the moment I've only used RO water.

Thanks

Bud
What are you transplanting into? Those should be close to ready for transplant. Rockwool has no nutrients so depending on media your transplanting to a very light dose of about 150ppm wouldn't hurt any of them. Usually feed about 5-10days after sprout depending how much light they are getting.

Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

What are you transplanting into? Those should be close to ready for transplant. Rockwool has no nutrients so depending on media your transplanting to a very light dose of about 150ppm wouldn't hurt any of them. Usually feed about 5-10days after sprout depending how much light they are getting.
Thanks @Aqua Man , I'll be transplanting into a larger rockwool cube (already moved 1 of them in) and then into my alien areoponic setup.

When I purchased my dome the below came with it so I'll look to use that and aim for 150ppm like you reccomend.

After that I'm going to use Remo nutrients for veg / flower.

Thanks

Bud

Screenshot 20200617 203753 Chrome
Screenshot 20200617 203020 Chrome
Budw3is3r

Budw3is3r

Thanks @Aqua Man for the advice. I have used the Vitalink "Plant Start" which states 6-8ml per litre (I put in 7.5ml) but the PPM is coming out at around 700!

Checked with the truncheon a few times but the same reading. 700PPM sounds very high.

Bud

20200618 124939
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks @Aqua Man for the advice. I have used the Vitalink "Plant Start" which states 6-8ml per litre (I put in 7.5ml) but the PPM is coming out at around 700!

Checked with the truncheon a few times but the same reading. 700PPM sounds very high.

Bud
Yup thats to high just mix 1 part that and 3 parts water and should be close. Never use manufacturer recommendations they are always way off and IDK what they are growing with those recommendations.... Maybe pine trees?

bigslimdawg79

bigslimdawg79

keep the light closer next time, after they sprout up and the leaves begin opening
and yeah you can bury them when transplanting i just prefer just not to have this problem cause im not sloppy and its easy to avoid it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom