1st timer seedling looking funny

• Thread starter Zombierider
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
freezeland2

freezeland2

@freezeland2 which app are you using. What readings are you looking for during seedling/veg/and finally flower stage. I'm not sure of what is optimal because I've seen people suggest so many different numbers.
I use Photone and for a plant that size it should be receiving around 5,000 to 7,500 lux. Much more at this point in growth stage will fry it.

For veg I target 25,000 to 30,000.

I flower at 45,000 to 50,000.

These are approximate ranges. You got to watch the plant. I am running a HLG scorpion LED.

Zombierider

Zombierider

I use Photone and for a plant that size it should be receiving around 5,000 to 7,500 lux. Much more at this point in growth stage will fry it.

For veg I target 25,000 to 30,000.

I flower at 45,000 to 50,000.

These are approximate ranges. You got to watch the plant. I am running a HLG scorpion LE
I’m @38 inches above cups @250 watts LED. Do those phone light meter apps really work? I’ve heard mixed reviews…

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I'm not familiar with your lights but it sounds like you're a pretty decent distance away especially if you're dimmed. Watch your plants for light stress. It wont be heat with LEDs that high up. They run pretty cool.

If you notice your seedlings stretching, lower your light or increase brightness.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I’m @38 inches above cups @250 watts LED. Do those phone light meter apps really work? I’ve heard mixed reviews…
I never fried a plant under an LED using that app.

Are there light meters that are more accurate, you bet there is. Is it close enough to be a useful tool, yes it is.

Zombierider

Zombierider

Download one to your phone. I think you still have a bit to much instensity. No way of knowing without a meter or frying the used that app and it’s saying 15k lux. So I guess I need to crank that light way the F up there. None of the plants are growing sideways against the light so maybe it’s not too much?
I'm not familiar with your lights but it sounds like you're a pretty decent distance away especially if you're dimmed. Watch your plants for light stress. It wont be heat with LEDs that high up. They run pretty cool.

If you notice your seedlings stretching, lower your light or increase brightness.
Well I just used that photone app and it’s showing the lux at my seedling height is 15,500 lux. So, according to the app, it’s too bright. However just one particularly tall seedling seems to be kind of wanting to grow away, others are growing straight up. What things would indicate light stress? I have a covert 630 LED.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Distance is fine. But intensity might be. A meter will help you keep from getting light stressed plants. They are babies and don’t need a lot of light. To much can be detrimental to the seedlings.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Well I just used that photone app and it’s showing the lux at my seedling height is 15,500 lux. So, according to the app, it’s too bright. However just one particularly tall seedling seems to be kind of wanting to grow away, others are growing straight up. What things would indicate light stress? I have a covert 630 LED.
You can support those stretchers. Toothpicks work. I usually take one of those grow cubes you used and split it open and wrap around that lanky stalk as a support. When you transplant just plant a little deeper in the new medium.

freezeland2

freezeland2

Stunted growth, droopy leaves, unhappy looking seedlings.

Look into an Apogee Quantum PAR meter if your budgets allows. Invaluable to the LED grower.

Also consider T5 florescent lights for seedlings early veg. Certainly dont need a meter with them
This

Zombierider

Zombierider

So in lieu of that awesome park meter which I’ll get in a few weeks when $ allows, that photone app seems to work ok. It let me set the light to full spectrum led like my light, and is now showing around 9500 lux above the seedlings. Thanks for the help, I’ll keep this updated with the progress. Merry Tokemas.

freezeland2

freezeland2

So in lieu of that awesome park meter which I’ll get in a few weeks when $ allows, that photone app seems to work ok. It let me set the light to full spectrum led like my light, and is now showing around 9500 lux above the seedlings. Thanks for the help, I’ll keep this updated with the progress. Merry Tokemas.
Glad you got the light set. As they grow so does the intensity. When you are fully in veg you should be in the 25,000 to 30000 range. That app will let you know the DLI and PAR readings too. Look at those now so you know what they are at that 9,500 lux.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Try elimating the foliar spray not really necessary with the room humidity that you have it set continuing will keep top soil moist too long and could grow algea LET POTS DRY when they dry the roots try going deeper to find moisture and you won't develope shallow roots and plant health will flourish your seedlings look healthy just keep it simple and try not to get eager doing too much let nature do its thing

Zombierider

Zombierider

Try elimating the foliar spray not really necessary with the room humidity that you have it set continuing will keep top soil moist too long and could grow algea LET POTS DRY when they dry the roots try going deeper to find moisture and you won't develope shallow roots and plant health will flourish your seedlings look healthy just keep it simple and try not to get eager doing too much let nature do its thing
Awesome thanks for the advice. I’ve since lessened the amount I’m watering by half so the coco gets kinda dry/ before I water again. I also have the lights farther away. Seems to be doing the trick, they are about ready to go into their 1 gallon pots in a couple days.

Zombierider

Zombierider

So after a few days some of the new growth seems to have some yellow tones. Does her new leaf growth color mean she is hungry? Maybe it’s just her leaf tone? Feeding 470ppm gh flora trio + floralicous plus.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Why are you feeding it? The soil should have enough for at least 2 or 3 weeks. Is this your first time growing anything?
I love the rabbit wire screen on the box. Plenty of airflow under that pot. I can't see if you put wheels on them or not.

Zombierider

Zombierider

Why are you feeding it? The soil should have enough for at least 2 or 3 weeks. Is this your first time growing anything?
I love the rabbit wire screen on the box. Plenty of airflow under that pot. I can't see if you put wheels on them or not.
If you read the earlier part of this post I wrote it. This is in coco coir.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

So after a few days some of the new growth seems to have some yellow tones. Does her new leaf growth color mean she is hungry? Maybe it’s just her leaf tone? Feeding 470ppm gh flora trio + floralicous plus.
Would need some photos might be a deficiency I grow in soil but a deficiency is a deficiency at the end of the day might be lacking a immobile nutrient since you mention it's affecting new growth

Top Bottom