1st timer seedling looking funny

• Thread starter Zombierider
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zombierider

Zombierider

I agree with @Mr.GreenthumbOG

Also, have you lowered your lights recently? I've had some smaller plants look sad @ 300 ppfd.
I did increase the intensity recently from like 250 ppfd to 300ish ppfd now. Should I crank the dimmer back a touch? Also, last time I skipped a fertigation day they drooped quite a bit.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
It wont hurt to back the light up a little. If you lowered your lights and notice the plant looking sad, raise it back up. At least that's what i do! ha

K

Kylle

I should add that I'm following the cocoforcannabis guide, but not 100% sure I'm diagnosing calmag deficiency correctly, or maybe it's something else entirely!
Those two smooth leafs your girls got first are cotyledons,they are the reason your girls don't need nutes yet. you can use them to tell you when to start feeding. I started When they started losing color, some wait for them to fall off. Idk about the waiting for them to fall off, I've read some people do it.

Zombierider

Zombierider

Try watering once every 2 days till it recovers, I’m assuming your watering every day?

Warm up the space by another 5-7 degrees and wait for improvement.
Just set my thermostat to +5 degrees. Last time I skipped a day of watering the plants looked super droopy for the first time so apprehensive to try that again, especially since I’m getting “proper" runoff amount as per cocoforcannabis’ guide.

K

Kylle

It wont hurt to back the light up a little. If you lower your lights and notice the plant looking sad, raise it back up. At least that's what i do! ha
I'm new to coco also though. Been a soil grower for a decade though. I'm fucking up right now in coir. I'll get it though.

Zombierider

Zombierider

It wont hurt to back the light up a little. If you lower your lights and notice the plant looking sad, raise it back up. At least that's what i do! ha
I’ll give that a whirl and raise up my lights till they read around 250 ppfd. Hope it helps!

jguit

jguit

Supporter
Just set my thermostat to +5 degrees. Last time I skipped a day of watering the plants looked super droopy for the first time so apprehensive to try that again, especially since I’m getting “proper" runoff amount as per cocoforcannabis’ guide.
Was the coco still wet/moist?

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
If you wanna water once per day that’s fine.
that plant is too small for twice/day watering.
I think it’s probably cooler leaf temps causing the problem, in tie with the overwatering.

Zombierider

Zombierider

Was the coco still wet/moist?
The top layer was still moist when I rub the coco between my fingers, but not dripping wet or anything. So I’m guessing at this stage the plants prefer 10% runoff or less since they are still youngins? I decreased ppfd to like 270 avg, it was actually at like 320 so maybe a bit too much light.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
The top layer was still moist when I rub the coco between my fingers, but not dripping wet or anything. So I’m guessing at this stage the plants prefer 10% runoff or less since they are still youngins? I decreased ppfd to like 270 avg, it was actually at like 320 so maybe a bit too much light.
If the top layer was moist, it's likely they were drooping for another reason.

Zombierider

Zombierider

I quoted the wrong person, sorry.
Your good homie
If you wanna water once per day that’s fine.
that plant is too small for twice/day watering.
I think it’s probably cooler leaf temps causing the problem, in tie with the overwatering.
gotcha, I guess the only way to increase leaf temps at this stage is to raise the temps right? So what I’ll do is make sure to get no more than 10% runoff 1 time a day, cuz some of them are getting a tad more runoff than I’d like, in the 30% of fertigation volume range.

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Mr.GreenthumbOG

Grow for life🌱
Supporter
Your good homie

gotcha, I guess the only way to increase leaf temps at this stage is to raise the temps right? So what I’ll do is make sure to get no more than 10% runoff 1 time a day, cuz some of them are getting a tad more runoff than I’d like, in the 30% of fertigation volume range.
Do this and you will see improvements. Guaranteed.
Get the air temps 80-82.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

So I found some amazing info by a professor named Dr. Bruce bugbee😀 so turns out why people use ambient room temp as a guide is because normally your canopy would be around 3 degrees hotter so let's say at 25° would be 28 or 82.5 or 83 degrees leaf temp every genetic and pheno might react different might tolerate more and you could find out in increments or by accident when the plant shows slight signs of stress but whats interesting is a watered plants leaves will be cooler than one slightly thirsty example: a wet towel left on a counter in the sun will read cooler than a dry towel. So vpd is a start but the most important is plant canopy temp and since you didn't have it correct and even tho they were prob hydrated maybe even too much since the plant couldn't transpire leaf canopy temp was WAY LOW if you want what the video skip to about 30min "leaf temp surface temp"

Zombierider

Zombierider

So I found some amazing info by a professor named Dr. Bruce bugbee😀 so turns out why people use ambient room temp as a guide is because normally your canopy would be around 3 degrees hotter so let's say at 25° would be 28 or 82.5 or 83 degrees leaf temp every genetic and pheno might react different might tolerate more and you could find out in increments or by accident when the plant shows slight signs of stress but whats interesting is a watered plants leaves will be cooler than one slightly thirsty example: a wet towel left on a counter in the sun will read cooler than a dry towel. So vpd is a start but the most important is plant canopy temp and since you didn't have it correct and even tho they were prob hydrated maybe even too much since the plant couldn't transpire leaf canopy temp was WAY LOW if you want what the video skip to about 30min "leaf temp surface temp"

Listening to this now, lots of good info. Thanks. Side note: I guess I should still hold off on that Epsom salt foliar spray for the alleged magnesium deficiency? Don’t want it to get out of hand, but I’m starting to think it wasn’t mag but environmental issue since I’m putting 4.5ml per gallon of cal mag in my feeds.

AlfaDog

AlfaDog

Don't go over bourd if your supplementing give it a chance newer growth should look healthy if your supplementing properly and adjust if need be. But if anything in the environment is off it will have a chain reaction this will be the easiest fix and the results should be noticeable in short time
Listening to this now, lots of good info. Thanks. Side note: I guess I should still hold off on that Epsom salt foliar spray for the alleged magnesium deficiency? Don’t want it to get out of hand, but I’m starting to think it wasn’t mag but environmental issue since I’m putting 4.5ml per gallon of cal mag in my feeds.

Zombierider

Zombierider

Don't go over bourd if your supplementing give it a chance newer growth should look healthy if your supplementing properly and adjust if need be. But if anything in the environment is off it will have a chain reaction this will be the easiest fix and the results should be noticeable in short time
Got it, i read that the biggest mistake by noobs is doing too much/being too proactive. Patience is something growing weed is teaching me lol

Zombierider

Zombierider

So, if anyone who knows about growing in coco could answer this question (maybe @Aqua Man ?) When you hydrate prebuffered coco like canna coco bricks, and you fertigate the coco with nutrients prior to transplanting, do you measure the runoff EC and dilute until the runoff EC is where you want it? Basically thinking if I were to transplant seedlings into freshly hydrated coco and fresh liquid nutrients, wouldn’t the EC of the coco be too high and would therefore require diluting with something to lower the coco EC?

Top Bottom