2 King Tut growing in RDWC

• Thread starter stltoed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dopey28

Dopey28

It's gonna need a vacuum to do that. I just don't see that happening
As some one who has had like 25-30 tanks of fish at a time….. it can happen and make a big mess.
But you don’t need to raise it above you pail level. Just pop into a pet store and buy an airline check valve. Should cost you a few bucks and put it between your pump and pails. Personally I prefer buying a few and sticking them after the manifold. They are cheap and can really save you a headache.

stltoed

stltoed

As some one who has had like 25-30 tanks of fish at a time….. it can happen and make a big mess.
But you don’t need to raise it above you pail level. Just pop into a pet store and buy an airline check valve. Should cost you a few bucks and put it between your pump and pails. Personally I prefer buying a few and sticking them after the manifold. They are cheap and can really save you a headache.
I've thought about the check valves, but never did anything about it. It would be a mess if somehow the water made it out of the tub, but I just don't see how that could happen. Unless my pump started running backwards.

I totally agree, if it happened it would suck, I just don't see how it could happen. ive run it like this for 5 years, Now having said all this I'm sure I Gooched it and my shed will have 3 inches of brown water in it in the morning.

Thanks for your concern.

stltoed

stltoed

I did the defoliation yesterday... it went pretty well, but im paying for it today. Reaching across to work on the back of the plant really took its toll on my back. I don't usually have back problems, but im feeling it today. The price to be paid I guess.

stltoed

stltoed

I was talking to someone and found myself recommending air layering. I had never done it, just never made time, so I figured if I recommend it I should know more about it. Here is what I came up with on another forum.

Here's my official air layering first experience. It seems so easy, as long as the media stays moist. Let me explain a little about the process...

Air layering is a way to make clones using a limb on a healthy branch as your clone. So, the process is super simple, actually similar to cloning a more conventional way. In my case I scrapped the branch in the area where the media will be placed. Coated the scrapped branch with Clonex gel, and placed the media slit side up and wrapped it to keep it in place.

Some of the implements used.
20210926 131938

First off everything should be clean and disinfected. I'm using a zip lock bag that priviously held a pair of ratchet hangers, about half the width of a sandwich bag. I disinfected the bag with alcohol and set it aside. I then chopped up 5 or 6 Rapid Rooters to use as the media in the bag. The bag is then slit down the middle where the branch will rest surrounded by the moist media. Then I wrapped the assembly to keep it in place.
20210926 130816

I'm sure any clean, water philic media will work, Rockwool, moss, etc. I even saw a dude that used dirt while researching this. I realized after I started that I didn't have any string, so I went with single strand 22ga. wire left over from putting together a light. I held it in place with a pipe cleaner, and wrapped the wire semi tight around the bag. I topped the branch to put some attention to the rooting area. All done. I'll check it for moisture once and a while, but that seems to be about it. Try it...
20210926 133743

I'm curious why this technique isn't more popular. Maybe I'm about to find out. It looks so easy on YouTube, but maybe the success rate isn't so hot. Time will tell.

I have a video for this, but YouTube is busy and I guess it's gonna take a while, I'll have to add it later

stltoed

stltoed

Here is the accompanying video for the air layering process I talked about earlier.
This is the way I did it after 15 or 20 minutes of research on YouTube. This isn't the definitive Bible on air layering. If you want to give it a try I recommend a bit more research. Cheers.

Cashmeh

Cashmeh

I haven't seen any issues with poorly growing roots, I'm honestly not sure it's that big of a deal.

So far I like the generator. The heat isn't an issue, at least this year. I thought about plugging some burners, but its only on for 45 seconds, so it's a chicken and egg thing. Is it better to have more burners for less time or twice the time.

Yeah, I was just curious how AM felt about an air pump pushing CO2 into water. A problem would make sense, but I just haven't seen one. Thanks for the info.

Your room temperature will let you know, if running less burners is better. Size of space + Room temps, as well as “Leaf temps”.As long as leaf temps are under 82F day time that’s great. Night time swing is what hurts most. Doesn’t take much to get Co2

Here is the accompanying video for the air layering process I talked about earlier.
This is the way I did it after 15 or 20 minutes of research on YouTube. This isn't the definitive Bible on air layering. If you want to give it a try I recommend a bit more research. Cheers.
I'll have to read your responses tomorrow. These 12hr shifts killin me.

So I'm assuming your thought process is that when you cut them off, they will have roots established already. Thus allowing you to transplant into a veg system and skip the cloning system.

I imagine it will work, just as you said due to it working on other plants or trees as you said. My question is what kind of feed is in the media?

I have a challenge for ya, take one super long clone, really long clone lol.. And try and double root it. Like keep pulling it over to another pot as it streches under a netting, then when it's over another hydro system lol, pull it down and make it root in there too? Don't plants like pumpkins and watermelons root at multiple spots in the earth. Could you force a weed plant to do this lol?

Time to close my eyes now.. Haha later man. I enjoy your YouTube videos BTW. Easier for me to comprehend things. But editing sucks.

I use vsdc free video editor. Bit of a learning curve, but nothing like hydro lol..

stltoed

stltoed

People do clone cannabis this way. I'm just surprised it isn't more popular. Since the prospective clone is not removed from the plant till its rooted, it's getting fed by the mother plant till its removed. I'm just adding root hormone.

That's interesting, it might just be easier to air layer it in more than one location per branch.

Night night...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

People do clone cannabis this way. I'm just surprised it isn't more popular. Since the prospective clone is not removed from the plant till its rooted, it's getting fed by the mother plant till its removed. I'm just adding root hormone.

That's interesting, it might just be easier to air layer it in more than one location per branch.

Night night...
I always try to look at any negatives and positives.... if a perspective is given or an argument made I try to provide the opposite. Not at all disputing this as I have never done it.

Just food for thought on one potential problem. Like cloning things can go wrong and the area will be more susceptible to infection as the outer layer is removed and softens under higher moisture.

Imo like clones sometimes damping off or stem rot etc can happen. So the one concern would be that it could expose the mother plant to a kuch higher risk of infection than traditional cloning if things go wrong.

That's the glass half empty side. But like many things the better you get at it the less risk so I think this is one of those can be beneficial if.... kinda things.

stltoed

stltoed

I always try to look at any negatives and positives.... if a perspective is given or an argument made I try to provide the opposite. Not at all disputing this as I have never done it.

Just food for thought on one potential problem. Like cloning things can go wrong and the area will be more susceptible to infection as the outer layer is removed and softens under higher moisture.

Imo like clones sometimes damping off or stem rot etc can happen. So the one concern would be that it could expose the mother plant to a kuch higher risk of infection than traditional cloning if things go wrong.

That's the glass half empty side. But like many things the better you get at it the less risk so I think this is one of those can be beneficial if.... kinda things.
Totally possible. I believe the Clonex gel as as a disinfectant... not completely sure. Your point is the main reason I chose the smaller plant.

Dopey28

Dopey28

I think you just raised another reason people might shy away.
if your going to flower the mother it’s currently wasting resources on a limb that’s gonna come off. Resources that could be going into stuff that’s staying to flower.

whereas if the clone was just cut off and rooted. Yes it’s going to be set back while it roots before growing again. But you can veg that clone as long as you like.

stltoed

stltoed

I think you just raised another reason people might shy away.
if your going to flower the mother it’s currently wasting resources on a limb that’s gonna come off. Resources that could be going into stuff that’s staying to flower.

whereas if the clone was just cut off and rooted. Yes it’s going to be set back while it roots before growing again. But you can veg that clone as long as you like.
I just wanted to see if it worked to be honest

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The air pump should be outside of a Co2 room, some say Co2 in roots not good. Another benefit having the air pump outside the grow room, is cooler air temps for roots plus higher oxygen.

You can also move your carbon filter away from Co2 burner. If that’s a sealed room, better to use the carbon filter for scrubbing. Can you change that burner to a 4 burner or 2 burner Co2 I believe. They should have plugs for the outside of burners. I believe you said in video that’s an 8 burner propane?

I just bought a 4 burner Autopilot NG burner, and also purchased Manufacture plugs for it. Plugging some of the burners will cut down the heat in smaller spaces, keeping the room cooler and still provide Co2 levels needed.

Just my 2cents hopefully useful information.
The roots and microbes produce co2 all the time through respiration, it's not so much co2 is bad for the roots as lack of o2 is. Often ppl think if one is high the other is low and that's not the case they are independent of eachother. Both can be high or low at the same time.

The gas exchange happens at the surface not the bubbles as there is not near enough dwell time for that to occur. I have forst hand experience dissolving co2 into water. And the impact that surface agitation has on gas exchange.

The issue with putting an air pump outside a "sealed room" not fully the case here is that's positive pressure and the air will need to escape somewhere. With it humidity and temperature conditioned air being replaced by whatever the conditions of the room with the airpump.

A buildup of co2 in the rootzone in a soil that doesn't breathe well can effect PH though.

Just some info to help clear up some myths of thw past.

Latest posts

Top Bottom