• Start date
  • Tagged users None
brazel

brazel

I think you'd enjoi talking to coot

Message him if he doesn't reply, let me know

brazel

brazel

I've been growing since 1981 and the only seeds I could order came from the Super Sativa Seed Club and the only reading material was a black and white magazine called "Sensimilla Tips" and a dog eared paper back i think was by Ed R. The Seed Club is long gone but boy would i like to have the "Skunk" and "NL" Seeds i had back then.
I've learned a lot in close to 40 years the main thing being that the plants requirements and life cycle hasn't changed at all. It's the industry that's changed and not for the better. It's overly complicated what for the most part is a simple plant to grow. I am still learning tricks and tips but I take them all with a grain of salt and I do try new things. I don't NEED anything the grow stores offer although I do always seem to buy something. There is no growing medium I can buy that's as good as what I make in a hot compost pile. Lobster bodies, fish gury, seaweed, fish skins, as well as pig powered leaves and such and off I go. I DO top off my pots with an inch or so of Pro Mix just to keep any potential pathogens at bay.
I also rarely weigh my finished product unless I have a particular reason like seeing how well my LEDs produce. I don't profit from my grows because I am a giver and don't need the money. It's just a hobby right up there with fruit trees a heirloom vegetables.
Just keep it fun guys and gals. When you lose the fun move on. There is a lot of knowledge here but take nothing as the gospel and there are rarely right and wrongs chiseled into stone. Rock on
The only thing you need to learn is no till and amendments. Do you think I'd stir you wrong. I just hooked you up with nl5 from 79 and coot top reminiscence...I have nothing negative

SatansTaint

SatansTaint

Oh thank you mr ganja godsend!
Without your condescending blessings and grow tips we will never survive

brazel

brazel

I've been growing since 1981 and the only seeds I could order came from the Super Sativa Seed Club and the only reading material was a black and white magazine called "Sensimilla Tips" and a dog eared paper back i think was by Ed R. The Seed Club is long gone but boy would i like to have the "Skunk" and "NL" Seeds i had back then.
I've learned a lot in close to 40 years the main thing being that the plants requirements and life cycle hasn't changed at all. It's the industry that's changed and not for the better. It's overly complicated what for the most part is a simple plant to grow. I am still learning tricks and tips but I take them all with a grain of salt and I do try new things. I don't NEED anything the grow stores offer although I do always seem to buy something. There is no growing medium I can buy that's as good as what I make in a hot compost pile. Lobster bodies, fish gury, seaweed, fish skins, as well as pig powered leaves and such and off I go. I DO top off my pots with an inch or so of Pro Mix just to keep any potential pathogens at bay.
I also rarely weigh my finished product unless I have a particular reason like seeing how well my LEDs produce. I don't profit from my grows because I am a giver and don't need the money. It's just a hobby right up there with fruit trees a heirloom vegetables.
Just keep it fun guys and gals. When you lose the fun move on. There is a lot of knowledge here but take nothing as the gospel and there are rarely right and wrongs chiseled into stone. Rock on
Did you use this info

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Try since 72, bag seed is all we had especially here in the midwest. Try growing landrace sativas outdoors in my climate.

sixstring

sixstring

2oz per plant,give er take a few grams :happy:
Mk chop 1 30 031

Planter01

Planter01

@brazel I will definitely follow up on the NL5. I would love to incorporate a few into my next run. I will say that I've planted Skunk #1 twice from different vendors and they were not the "original" as claimed. There were too many phenotypes in both batches and none of them few with the vigor of the Skunk I grew in the very early 80's. It would be a feat of husbandry to be able to maintain a strain for so long. I got about 15 years out of of Skunk and No by crossing and back crossing before losing them completely due to someone stealing my box of goodies. They got a couple of pounds of fine weed but I wish they had left my seeds.
I'm not sure what you mean by no till as it applies to mj but I've got 1200 sq feet of veggies that never gets tilled. It just get a cover crop of winter rye and 3 or 4 inches of top dressing every year. You have no idea how many truckloads of seaweed and hog compost. I'll tell you it's a lot. I use commercial fert on my mj cause it's easy. It's not a problem keeping my npk and micro mutes where the need to be in the veggie garden by amendments I scrounge. The problem isn't amendments, it's controlling pests, mildew and rot organically. MAYBE in another 35 years I'll have it down. Rock on and I will be hunting down those nl5 beans you speak of.

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

I just started my week to 2 week final flush on these girls, 2 X 1000 watt lights and 10 years plus under my belt and I doubt I'll get 30 zips per light. These plants never seen one stressful day or a discolored leaf in flower either and their heavy yielding strains.

20171225 161855
20171225 161909
20171225 161923
20171225 162759
Planter01

Planter01

@KlipschGuy Dude you should be getting at least 60 or 70 zips with that set-up. Maybe you should weigh the rootball, stems and fan leaves. Good luck.

KlipschGuy

KlipschGuy

@KlipschGuy Dude you should be getting at least 60 or 70 zips with that set-up. Maybe you should weigh the rootball, stems and fan leaves. Good luck.
There's about 3 to 4 lbs there. I bet you could get double or triple that huh, lol. Perpetrators are flooding the scene. You've been reading to many seed company sites where they tell ya you can get a pound and a half, maybe even 3 lbs per 600 watt lamp with this strain, all you gotta do is sprinkle some magic dust on them!

Last edited:
Planter01

Planter01

@KlipschGuy .. can you spare any magic dust or does it not work with COBS. WTH, some folks use different weights of measure or put their finger on the scale. I know I've purchased a zip that was measured in a strange unit of measure...
Happy Boxing Day!!

mcaveman

mcaveman

Th
@KlipschGuy .. can you spare any magic dust or does it not work with COBS. WTH, some folks use different weights of measure or put their finger on the scale. I know I've purchased a zip that was measured in a strange unit of measure...
Happy Boxing Day!!
What is COBS?

Planter01

Planter01

20170304 224352
COBS == Chip on board LEDs. Currently running 900watts of Cree 3590s. 300 watts per frame. I get "close" to a gram per watt but not quite. I think I should be able to pull 1.5 grams per watt although I heard claims of 2 grams per watt and have seen "claims" of better than that. I'm still a dirt farmer and I might do better with hydro but dirt is easy. Seed catalog descriptions tend to be overly inflated in everything from yield to potency to taste as well as lineage. If you plant 10 beans of the same strain I seem to get lots of variations in phenotypes. I also think that one grower can produce 30% THC while most can't hit the advertised %. Far to many strains out there that are not solid. Rarely do you get 10 phenos that are all the same. A monkey can cross two varieties but getting solid dependable phenos out of a strain is admirable and rare breeding.

Top Bottom