20 light, 25 plant, Screen of Green

• Thread starter BC farmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Damn man, to see your results with simple GH nutes... Solid. Can't wait to see what you get this round.

I think that is what is most impressive.... doing all this with basic nutrients and caps bennies. Keeping it simple and on task. Outstanding!
But of course a lot of hard work as well. This is what I love about the farm.... not just a bunch of plants thrown into a room.

BC farmer

BC farmer

I enjoyed the shit outta this thread...good show BC
Glad you enjoyed it and welcome to the thread TK.
I think that is what is most impressive.... doing all this with basic nutrients and caps bennies. Keeping it simple and on task. Outstanding!
But of course a lot of hard work as well. This is what I love about the farm.... not just a bunch of plants thrown into a room.
Thanks friend.

We have started decreasing our hours by an hour a day. One of the tricky parts is to have the entire screen filled up and still manageable once its down to 12/12 . Humidity is being backed slowly as well.

squiggly

squiggly

We have started decreasing our hours by an hour a day. One of the tricky parts is to have the entire screen filled up and still manageable once its down to 12/12 . Humidity is being backed slowly as well.

I am glad to see you say this as I've found this is the best way to get the screen filled properly as well (although I back my lights off by 30mins a day instead of an hour).

This allows for more and more etoliation (and root growth) nearer to flowering--and it also cuts back on stretch, or rather spreads it out, a bit I've noticed. It's still equally as difficult to know when to start this "flip" but I've noticed its much easier to get an even canopy this way.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

Thanks for the input BC.... so you guys fill the screen just before the flip? I was thinking of doing the same with my 1k bulbs as I am sure they will reach deep... but on the example I was give it was said to only go to 2/3 then flip and fill the screen with the stretch.

BC farmer

BC farmer

I am glad to see you say this as I've found this is the best way to get the screen filled properly as well (although I back my lights off by 30mins a day instead of an hour).

This allows for more and more etoliation (and root growth) nearer to flowering--and it also cuts back on stretch, or rather spreads it out, a bit I've noticed. It's still equally as difficult to know when to start this "flip" but I've noticed its much easier to get an even canopy this way.
Interesting squiggly. I thought etoliation was stretch. Would you mind clarifying?
Cutting down on the stretch is good news as I feel like we are rolling the dice a bit,each time we decide to cut back the hours..
Appreciate the suggestion. We will try it out for sure .

BC,I also enjoyed the hell out of this thread,very cool.A question for you,what material did you make the v troughs to funnel the water out of?really like the setup.
Nice to hear that man. Cloth is landscape cloth fabric. Came in a large roll. Feels the same as smart pots but much airier..

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

BC,im talking about underneath the landscape fabric,the water drops onto it and it flows to a bucket.

BC farmer

BC farmer

Thanks for the input BC.... so you guys fill the screen just before the flip? I was thinking of doing the same with my 1k bulbs as I am sure they will reach deep... but on the example I was give it was said to only go to 2/3 then flip and fill the screen with the stretch.
2/3 is what we try for GanjaAl before we flip. As Squiggly correctly pointed out its tricky to find the right time.

squiggly

squiggly

Interesting squiggly. I thought etoliation was stretch. Would you mind clarifying?
Cutting down on the stretch is good news as I feel like we are rolling the dice a bit,each time we decide to cut back the hours..

That's absolutely correct.

Etoliation occurs when the plant is in search of light (for most plants, specifically blue light).

This is especially noticeble during two phases of indoor cannabis growing:

1. Germination, nearly all shoot growth before the cotyledons break the surface results from etoliation (which is why shoots are so flimsy and bleached upon breaking the surface).

2. "Flip"

As we know, in nature there is no "flip". This is a gradual process. Etoliation still occurs (presumably a similar amount by percentage of time spent in the dark/light) as the nights get longer and longer. So we see stretch no matter what.

What my suggestion is, is that perhaps there is a "maximum" level of etoliation which occurs when the plant is subjected to regular lighting. This could be a result of "de-etoliation" or it could have something to do with inactivation of auxins in light--or it could be patently untrue.

It is my hypothesis, however, that this is why we notice similar stretch in terms of percentages in plants regardless of whether they are grown indoor or outdoor.

Etoliation will never cease if a plant is kept in the dark constantly and this will eventually result in death from too much cell expansion. In effect cells are elongating, not dividing, when etoliation is taking place. Eventually the plant becomes too lanky and contains too few cells for its size which causes death in tandem with lack of cellular energy and other considerations (like oxidative stress).

Likewise there is very little etoliation if a plant is kept under constant lighting.

For a scrog setup i view etoliation (in moderation--where plant health is still supported) as the preferred growth method until the screen is full.

From this point forward (flowering) we want as much cell division as possible and as little elongation as we can manage (minimize stretch).

My hypothesis is that by gradually reducing light levels rather than flipping them over all at once we can confine much of the maximum allotment of "etoliative growth" (I just made that word up I think) to the vegetative stage. IE, we convince much of the stretch to occur before buds form.

The result is denser buds, and better stacked colas.

Furthermore it makes filling the screen a bit faster and easier. Let's face it--this is the worst part of scrogging.

Once the thing is full it's basically autopilot.

This is why I choose to run 18/6 in veg (in addition to the idea that increased root growth occurs during dark period). I want the plant to undergo etoliation and get to that screen as quickly as possible, to cut down on my veg time.

So long as the plant doesn't become weak from too much etoliation--this is a positive thing.

That might have actually made it more complicated and I must stress that this is a hypothesis. It is, however, the assumption I've been working under.

I step back in 30 minute increments because I essentially end up with more dark time before the flowering response kicks on--which means more etoliation in veg. Also it more closely matches reality (though it is still quite far off the mark).

I hope that all made sense.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

Nice to hear that man. Cloth is landscape cloth fabric. Came in a large roll. Feels the same as smart pots but much airier..
i just used the same thing when making my soil bed. its kicking names and taking ass hahaha

sebastien420

sebastien420

excitement,excitement,excitement......is all i get when i see this room in full action...

BC farmer

BC farmer

Time for an update:)
Screens are filling in nicely. This is the busiest time for us trying to manage the canopy, keeping it even by lots of training, pinching, bending and pruning the bottoms gradually.
We have come across some RA. They showed up in the run off buckets right when we were high fiving eachother for having won the battle with Thrip Larve. Keeps you humble I guess. The plan of attack for the RA is Caps bennies full strength tea application, Nematodes watered in and possible Botanigard ES. Girls are still super healthy and the plan is effective control of them.
We have started flowering.
Climate:
Room temps :76
RH : 55%
Nighttime: 75
RH : 50%
CO2: 1000
Here are some pics,

BCF

Image 1

Image 2

Photo

RIVAL79

RIVAL79

Funk Master!
Supporter
Nice room, BCF! I'm super impressed by the looks of things. Keep up the great work and stay positive on the RA battle. U will handle that shit wit no probs, bro. :)

BC farmer

BC farmer

Nice room, BCF! I'm super impressed by the looks of things. Keep up the great work and stay positive on the RA battle. U will handle that shit wit no probs, bro. :)

Thanks brother, needed some positivity and here you are, very cool. Dealing with pests = stress full:sour:
Glad you like the look of things

RIVAL79

RIVAL79

Funk Master!
Supporter
Thanks brother, needed some positivity and here you are, very cool. Dealing with pests = stress full:sour:
Glad you like the look of things
No prob, bro! That's what homies r for. Keeping u in High spirits. I know how that shit can be. This is my first grow in a minute without them lil fuckerz. Hahaha!

Top Bottom