23 packs! What do ya think?

• Thread starter Redskywalker
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey everybody I'm lookn for some imput for an idea I have. I'm a new would be breeder hope'n ta get my gear out there. Now here's the thing I've noticed that some of my strains when grown out it's hard ta pick a keeper because all the females are great, but with some other strains, unstable strains some plants will
be amazing and some not so good. With these ones I was thinkn it would be better ta package them in larger amounts, say 23 (I like that number lol) that way you're more likely ta get a keeper out of them. I've noticed a lot of feedback from farmers not happy that they ddnt get what they're lookn for when they grow out the seeds they've ordered. Which I can understand since it's hapened to me a few times. And not everyone can aford ta order several packs. So I thought that with strains that are unstable just up the number, but not the price. Does this sound good or would I be going against a standard that would piss people off? Let me know what ya think please?

R

Rolln J

personally I stay away from known unstable genetics...

10 seeds or 100

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Ok maybe that's the wrong word. I'm reffering to the phenomina of when you buy a pack if 10 seeds of top end strains like LA Con., M K Ultra, Cannalope Haze, or Island Sweet Skunk and when ya grow them out some females will out shine the rest or in some cases ( like me with above mentioned strains) ya get not one good plant. I have bought 3 packs of LA Con on 3 seperate times, never ta find a plant like the 1 that won the cup. Same with Cannalope Haze. Island Sweet Skunk it took4 or 5 diff packs but I found it. So what I'm sayn is wouldn't it be better ta up the number to increase the chance of gettn that gem? I don't think the industry would have as many upset people.

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
mean when ya cross two stellar plants that arnt true breed strains won't the ofspring be all over the place, with some being weak but some being amazing?

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Maybe the word I'm lookn for us Phenotype(s)! I always read how Jack Here isn't stable or how AK-47 has a cherry phenotype or a woody phenotype. Some pheno's being more desirable than others. Some strains will have less variation than others. And what I'm sayn is that increase the amount in the strains with more variation to increase the chance of getn the one ya would want. Again I'm not an expert lol so if I'm inacurate than I'm sorry lol here ta learn from the best.
Peace

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
most people that will buy your seeds are not really out pheno hunting. people buy 10 packs and only pop 5 at a time. if i wanted to pheno hunt i wouldn't by some random crosses. id go with some of shantis gear, flying dutchman sensi or some of the older seed banks. your f1 generation will be alot more stable then your f2's by the time you hit your f3 you should have a good idea of what your working with and what direction you are going. Go with the stuff thats more stable and easy 1st and work the other lines while your selling those

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanx bro but does that mean the seeds I've been buyn (mentioned above) are unstable?seems most seed companys sell stuff ya got search through for a good one. I myself am one of those people that only pops 5 seeds of a strain at a time lol. Well of seeds I have paid money for atleast. When grown my seeds I pop 50-100 of ea. So as ta see how they do in large numbers.

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
My main thing is that I have a ten year old clone that is amazing but starting ta lose a bit of vigor and I want to try ta make seeds of it. I cross it with almost everything I order and the crosses are almost always great, all except one (Sweet Tooth). But I've been a bit shy about back crosses so far because I ddnt really have enuff room ta grow out enuff seeds to feel comfortable picking male(s). But I have since moved to a larger spot and can dedicate more space. I've finally picked 4 diff crosses to start back crossing and I'm hope'n to get atleast 2 good distinct lines outta the initial 4 then down the road cross then into ea other. Does this sound like a good idea? I've made over 2 dozen crosses with my VipersVenom though and would love ta get these out to people, motto make money but ta spread around a strain that I think has a lot of potential. I've sent lots in as freebies and will be sending lots more. Just tryn ta get all the advice I can from da pros lol. Thanx for your advice guys. I'll try my best. Then try again if that's not good enuff.
Peace

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
That's true true thanx and when I say unstable I'm reffering to the phenotypic variation you see when purchasing most highend seeds. If that's what ya mean then I will only sell my two stable strains and then give the others away as freebies. And 18 packs do sound way better lol. I'm just not in it for the money so I want my seeds to be cheep but great quality.

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanx everybody you've helped check my over eagerness I deff do not want to release any bunk that's for sure. The awesome thing about the farm is I can send in freebies then hear and see results, get feedback and learn

J

Jalisco Kid

You keep sending in inferior(time consuming) seeds nobody will pop them even if you put money in with your freebies. You need to work your lines. Once you get it down to 3 phenos then you can put your name on it. Sometimes you get lucky with crosses mostly it is work that gets you those killer beans. JK
23 beans is a good number better then 10. But they have to be good. I'll bet Sannie sells more then reef just because of the price, more bang for the buck.

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Well that's what I'm talkn bout bro. The seeds that I am reffering to as "unstable" have about two ta three phenos!!! But one is always way stinkier/tastier. The other two phenos are still potent just not up ta my taste/smell standards lol. And to me it has ta taste great smell great and feel great yo! I have gotten lucky with two of my seed offerings as they all come out very similar. Well I'll just have ta wait till the freebies and testers get out and grown out. Then I'll know what people think. I took all my gear to the Toronto Cup and evrybody loved it. Even poor old Marc Emery and his wife said my Island Diesel rocked lol (name drop). Besides I wouldn't send in anything that I thought was subpar and I'm comparing my stuff to all the stuff I've gotten over the years from almost every sedbank in Europe and Canada. But hey live and learn I'm not in it for the money, I actually love, worship the plant PEACE

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
And when I say I'm new I mean to the online weed community lol. I've been growing for almost 20years last 10 organic (better late than never) and I've been making seeds for myself and friends for about 10years aswell. They stuff I'm tryn ta get out to the public is genetics I've had and been working with for a decade or so. Everything I've learned has been from reading mostly. I'm a bit of a recluse lol and just finally got the nerve ta come online with the urgings of friends and family. I feel humbled being here with all you pro's and want ta get your guidence. Thanx Peace

B

bighits420

It will take you a couple years just to prove a cross as stable. If you tell people its a cross and they get 10 different plants out of 10 different seeds it will show you did no line breeding and just threw random plants together of other peoples strains.

Breeding anything and you should have charts flying threw your mind on a daily baises to figure out where you are and whats showing up in the genetic pool. If you dont have these "eyes" or the "mind" you wont be able to keep up with yourself and you will shoot yourself in the foot and have to breed back out and start over.

These plants you have been breeding do you have the ORIGINAL father? Because if not and you make the wrong pick in your selection how are you gonna breed back out? Selecting just a male out of seed stock will reult in even more unstable genetics because you dont know when they became unstable.

Its hard to explain but most o these guys have a father plant that is a holy grail to them and they have had that male for decades. Start selecting males and keeping these males forever and if you distroy the male you might as well distroy every sibling it had because sooner or later you will have to breed back to remove bad qualitys.

Hoped it helped best bet is to go buy a book that explaines genetics in graphs and how it works you got hetrozygous traits and dominant traits and some are just anomolys that cant pass it on.

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanx dude and yes I have a holy Grail father that I've had for years lol plus a few other males that have proven to be full of good stuff.

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
I just want to say once again that I have purchased seeds from every big name out thr and I can honestly say my seeds are on par with anything I have ever bought if not better. Of course I've seen a lot of unsatisfied customers on here so that is why
I'm making sure. Peace

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Oh and any of the onetime/random crosses I make are for fun and the seeds are always givin away for free and only after I've grown atleast a dozen. So please don't think I'm just doing that.

leadplant

leadplant

I think Red is right on with everything he has said.
It does take alot of seeds to find a keeper.
My last seed search was with 24 seeds. Six were male and tossed
leaving 18 females to choose from. Only one made
the cut.
Its fair to say that all commercially availalbe seedlines are
not that stable - even skunk#1 is only moderately stable.

IMO, you got a great foundation to get started.

S

sensei13

I think Red is right on with everything he has said.
It does take alot of seeds to find a keeper.
My last seed search was with 24 seeds. Six were male and tossed
leaving 18 females to choose from. Only one made
the cut.
Its fair to say that all commercially availalbe seedlines are
not that stable - even skunk#1 is only moderately stable.

IMO, you got a great foundation to get started.

I would agree, however I would not go as far as saying "all commercially availalbe seedlines are not that stable". Not very many, but some seedbanks have solid inbreeding programs.

Personally, I think seeds should be priced on their generation, i.e. F1 & F2's-would be cheaper, and would stagger up to more expensive F3's to F6's and higher; all priced accordingly. Less searching for awesome phenos, less work, less chance for a bunch of mediocre seeds; this IMO is worth more money if proven.

By the way I'd be happy to test some of those phenos for you, only through Logic though. Check this thread I stumbled on to last week, he may be able to help. I would give some it time if you PM him though, it seems like a lot of construction has be going on around here lately. Either way, I look forward to see more about your lines of strains. Good luck with your breeding!

R

Redskywalker

Premium Member
Supporter
Thanx leadplant and sensei13 alls I can do is try and get feedback from people here then try harder lol. Sensei13 I've read that thread already and PM'd Logic and heard back and already sent in ovr a hundred seeds. Plush I have a couple hundred more dryness right now of two other kinds that I'll be sending in about a month latest. So feel free ta PM him with my blessing. That's what I sent in the seeds for lol. Again I'm not in it for da money although I do understand why people need ra get paid. Thanx again.
Peace RED

Top Bottom