4 600s or 3 1000s

• Thread starter Bobby Smith
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
norcal215

norcal215

Garden of Dreams Seed Co
ru serious

Before my laundry list of questions and things to do, just thought I'd mention that I've now decided that I'm gonna run a 1K over my 4x4 E&F table next to my octagon ("out in the open", not in a tent or anything - want the light overlap) - figure I can run head strains on there, determine what genetics are worth keeping, etc. - basically, have decided that I've gone through too much fucking work to only be running 2400 watts in flower.

Also, in case anyone's wondering why I have that massive DeWalt table saw, I bought that thinking it was made to cut wood - it's not, as evidenced by the burned piece of 2x4 that you see. Oh well, $200 down the drain.........I'm a moron, but I will use it to cut some PVC, so it's not a total loss.

1) You can see that the door is in its frame and it opens and closes fine, but I haven't screwed it into anything yet - do I just throw some screws in it from the inside and attach to the 2x4s it's resting agains?

2) The door is clearly designed for 2x6s and not 2x4s - is this a big enough problem to worry about? Seems to swing open and shut fine without even being screwed in yet. BTW, that thing is a steel door, heavy as fuck, and I had to try to fit it into that space off the ground solo - was a SERIOUS pain in the ass.

3) AC got delivered - it's pretty damn heavy.

4) Anyone got any good ideas about what to do with the actual garage door? I guess I could build a frame around it and drywall, but that sure seems like a lot of work - anyone got a better idea?

5) Does anyone know if I can hang drywall from the ceiling, even though the ceiling is at 24" instead of 16" spacing? I could move it to 16" relatively easily if I needed to, but since the drywall would only be holding insulation on top of it, was wondering if I could get away with 24" - anyone have some input?

6) Anyone know what I'd need to drill through siding (like siding on your house)? Need to drill a hole to run some PVC out and am wondering what kinda bit I'd need. On that same note, anyone know how hard it'd be to drill through a gutter?

So, things I still need to do before drywall:

1) Install plumbing - going to run ~1" PVC from the room, through the wall and siding, and straight into a gutter - don't want neighbors wondering why there's hot water creating steam from my garage in the middle of winter.

2) Seal up the garage door - some way, some how, gotta get that done.

3) Run a "T" off of the hose outlet so that I can use that water line to do my drain to waste CO2 generator and also to use my R/O filter.

4) Make a little 1' tall by 10' long panel to place under the door/4x4 for the insulation/drywall - gonna be a pain in the ass because that cement is SO uneven and not level.

5) Secure the ceiling 2x4s with screws (the boards are just "loose" in the joists right now).

6) Spackle and "Great Stuff" all gaps/leaks.

7) Install door knob/lock/etc.

Other than that, plants are looking well - starting to see "nubs" on the clones in the EZ, which to me indicates that roots should pop within the next coupla days.

rolmgdao!!!! wtf...... you realize you are using a carbdieum chop saw blade for cutting metal on a fucking wooden 4x4? howd that smoke for ya?:mad0233:

B

Bobby Smith

It smoked pretty good, actually - as anyone can see who's read this thread, I'm not the handiest guy ever - I only learned to change a tire last year.

Anyways, after about a week layoff to deal with baby shit, ultrasounds, and all that other good stuff, I'm back on the horse - BTW, thanks for the well wishes on the baby guys, I appreciate it :)

Changed the spacing of the ceiling to 16OC from 24OC - just easier to find insulation that size, and would rather the ceiling be too sturdy as opposed to not sturdy enough.

Heading to HD as soon as I'm done typing this to grab the plywood for the ceiling - gonna try to hang it myself, but I'm not sure I can hold up a 4x8 piece of plywood with one arm and drill it with the other (I'm a big man, but I'm not Andre the Giant), so I might need to recruit the GF.

As soon as that's done, gonna frame the garage door, drywall that and the framed out wall, and then I get to open all my toys and get them up and running :)

BTW, putting that EZ Clone 120 on Craigslist - I could root clones in toxic waste and get roots in 3 weeks, whereas I'm 0 for 15 on clones with this piece of shit - not worth it to me to buy a chiller to make this thing work right, so I'm gonna try to recoup what I can and go back to rockwool/rapid rooters with a heatmat.

aSilvrHaze

aSilvrHaze

take two 2x4's and make a T, the top of the T goes under the plywood and the leg is put on the ground, so it holds it in place while you screw it in. had to do that to hang drywall ceiling

B

Bobby Smith

take two 2x4's and make a T, the top of the T goes under the plywood and the leg is put on the ground, so it holds it in place while you screw it in. had to do that to hang drywall ceiling

That's actually a really good idea (sounds it, anyways).

Might try that, but as it is I've got two 4x4 pieces up.........you can not imagine how bad my shoulders are burning right now.

Yeah RCMG, I saw all that stuff and heard all the bad reviews about EZ Cloners and bought it anyways thinking those people were morons.

Frankly, not trying to brew a foul smelling tea or do anything above and beyond to get clones when I can DIY a bubble cloner or just use rockwool and heat mats.

I'm just gonna cut my losses right now instead of fucking around and spending more time and money to try to help make a $350 piece of equipment do exactly what it was designed to do.

B

Bobby Smith

Two Really Quick and Easy Questions

1) Am I installing this insulation correctly? I have the unfaced side laying on the plywood and the faced side up in the air - is this correct or the opposite of correct? Not gonna change the three rows I've already done, but I can switch it up for the rest if it's incorrect.

FYI, it's R-19 insulation and 6" thick, which is why you see it sticking so far above the 2x4s.

Shooting to be done the ceiling by tomorrow, then it's just a day of drywall and time to start moving stuff in there.

2) Have never used a chiller before (I'm back on the recirculating system and off the drain to waste idea - I know myself and know that I won't enjoy cleaning/disposing of 150 gallons+ of media each run) and am wondering what size I need for a 60-70 gallon recirculating reservoir.

Don't want it to be undersized and running constantly, but don't wanna get something I don't need like a 1 or 1/2HP model which would need its own dedicated circuit and only run for 3 seconds every day.

I'm thinking I either need a 1/10 or 1/4HP model - anyone got any input?

91110 001
91110 002
91110 003
R

RMCG

Insulation is installed correctly.

I've got a 1/3HP keeping 85g whatever temp I want, not much of a heat load though.

'Oversized' will run less, but cycle more. The right size will run more, but cycle less.

Calculate the heat load and determine the right size.

Prime/Current chillers have a pretty high BTU removal rating compared to others. My 1/3HP removes ~4500 BTU's/hr.

B

Bobby Smith

Lol, ironic - actually emailing with some dude right now about buying his 1/3 Current Chiller - $350 sound like a decent price?

Sounds like that's the size that's probably a little bit of overkill but will allow me to get my reservoir dialed to wherever I need it to be.

Thanks for confirming about the insulation as well - I had a 50/50 shot and it seems like I guessed right :)

R

RMCG

Lol, ironic - actually emailing with some dude right now about buying his 1/3 Current Chiller - $350 sound like a decent price?

Sounds like that's the size that's probably a little bit of overkill but will allow me to get my reservoir dialed to wherever I need it to be.

Thanks for confirming about the insulation as well - I had a 50/50 shot and it seems like I guessed right :)

350$ is a good price. They are $800+ new.

B

Bobby Smith

Recirc vs. Drain To Waste

350$ is a good price. They are $800+ new.

Nice............honestly, I'm still going back and forth in my head about way more stuff than I should be this far into the build.

Still not set on anything and am kinda in love with the "idea" of a no hassle drain to waste vs. a chilled recirculating system.

Fuck..........getting so close to the time when I've gotta start building a system that I'm debating everything 24/7 in my head - it's fucking maddening.

Shit, I still haven't ruled out doing an Under Current.

Fuck me.

B

Bobby Smith

I Can Almost Taste It

Ceiling is 80% done, so I'm gonna finish that up tomorrow morning and then plywood the wall (said fuck drywall because I don't have a truck to bring it home in).

Assuming I finish that by early afternoon, then I just need to frame out the garage door (easier said than done, I'm sure) and plywood that.

Shooting to be filling in cracks with Great Stuff and PUTTING UP PANDA TOMORROW NIGHT!!!!!!!!!

THEN INSTALLING SHIT (AC, hot water heater) ON WEDNESDAY!!!!!!!

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, and I'm gonna order my wyes from Home Depot tomorrow - not doing 84, doing 96 now and not leaving an opening for me to access the interior.

Shit's about to start getting fucking real in there.

In no particular order, I ran a 12 gauge cord to my room (the third 20 amp circuit), installed most of the ceiling, exhaust for AC, and moved the light down that was hanging in there down so I can actually use it in my room.

Oh, ALSO REALIZED THAT I HAVE ANOTHER 15 AMPS SITTING IN MY ROOM THAT I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT IF I NEED IT.

91310 001
91310 002
91310 003
91310 004
91310 005
91310 006
91310 007
91310 008
91310 009
91310 010
B

Bobby Smith

No Building, But A Shitload Of Shopping

Didn't wake up til noon because I haven't slept for a week because I've been so focused on this project, so went shopping for all the materials I'm gonna need.

Left the house at 1, and got home 5 hours later after stopping at four Home Depots - you should see the kinda looks you get from people when you ask for 100 PVC wyes.

Also, included some pics of the actual plants (go figure) - they're ready to give me 120 clones, so I either need to get a chiller ASAP or I'm just gonna clone them into Jiffy pellets, but they need to get rocking ASAP.

Also, there's a pic of the three Ice seedlings I started a couple weeks ago.

And then there's the 6 sheets of plywood that I had cut in half (so now there's 12) to be able to transport them.

And of course three boxes of fittings and a small mountain of loose fittings.

Still not sure if I'm gonna go with 4 600s or 3 600s inside the octagon, and still not sure how tall it's gonna be or if I'm going to leave a side open for access.

FYI, if I go with 3 then I'll use the 4th over my 4x4 E&F tray and run a concurrent horizontal grow.

Also not sure if I'm gonna need a cooltube or if I can get away with bare bulbs.

Decisions, decisions.

91410 001
91410 002
91410 003
91410 004
91410 005
91410 006
91410 007
91410 008
91410 009
91410 010
91410 011
91410 012
I

Integra21

Really starting to see the progress Bob. Keep up the good work. The girls look like they're doing pretty good. And now on to the octagon build. Im interested in watching this part more, Havent really seen to much done with ones. So keep the updates coming.

B

Bobby Smith

Real Quick

Took 144 clones today - jiffy pellets and humidity dome.

They're currently under my 400 (I know, not great but I'm too lazy to setup my fluros for what will only be a couple of days) - I've rooted clones under my 400 before, so I'm not too worried about it.

Also bought this 1/15HP chiller for my EZ Cloner (I'm fickle, duh).

Going to buy a 1/8 HP chiller tomorrow with an attached UV filter for my main system.

91510 002
91510 003
91510 005
91510 006
91510 008
91510 009
B

Bobby Smith

Thanks for checking in, guys.

Integra - can't wait to start building the octagon - that part I think I'll actually enjoy.

Boom - only $150 off of Craigslist, and the 1/8HP one I'm getting today is only $190.

RMCG - TBD, but somewhere in the 50-60 gallon range - I'm gonna insulate the rez and octagon pretty good, and I'm confident the chiller will be able to handle the heatload with little issues. Also, I was thinking last night that I could put a cool coil in my reservoir and route my plumbing so that any time the CO2 burner turns on, the cold tap water first flows through the cool coil before getting to the Marey - anyone know if this would be worth the time and money to setup?

R

RMCG

I think the 1/8HP isnt going to be big enough. Could be wrong, but I would err on the up side.

It's going to be running all the time. Not sure how you are going to divert cold tap thru it first, but make sure the chiller never 'runs dry' as it will freeze the coil.

B

Boomer242

I think the 1/8HP isnt going to be big enough. Could be wrong, but I would err on the up side.

It's going to be running all the time. Not sure how you are going to divert cold tap thru it first, but make sure the chiller never 'runs dry' as it will freeze the coil.

im a believer in go big or go home too. just depends wat u want to get ur water temps to. if u want purps; 50* is wat im shootin for. hit 53* so far with a 1hp, 2 cooling coils; one in each 70gall rez.

so bob when u hook it up let me know how it works out.
thats a good price tho cant argue great way to start :pimp:

Top Bottom